• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

My NSX got Owned by EVO

RON98 said:
4.6.....thats a little too optimistic..... where you get that number in the first place? i dont think post guy has a 3.2L with the 6spd... acturally i dont think 99.5% of the people have the 3.2L, ie yourself with the 1991.
4.6sec is not optimistic at all for 3.2L, here is one bone stock 4.5sec example:
http://www.nsxprime.com/Gallery/multimedia/cd2001.rm

Road & Track road test, same weather condition, same track, look at the results, NSX is not that much slower than the Z06 with 115 additional hp, 0~50mph is the same, it is from 50mph and up that Z06 start to pull away.

11309rt-nsx.jpg

When my NSX was completely stock, I consistently did 5.33sec to 60mph, most magazine test are 5.1~5.6sec for NA1. I have not tested again after adding basic mods, dynoed at 271rwhp, and 100lb+weight reduction. I would not be surprised to see 4.5~4.7sec results.

I just don't understand why Evo and Sti are so highly rated with their AWD launch. It should not require AWD to launch a car perfectly off the line with just 271hp. If they are modded that is a different story, I sure would love AWD for my Supra. For many high hp cars the advantage is after 50mph when they barely just launched.

Last edited:
Trade it in for a EVO or a STI! or sell it. The selling price will more then cover the cost of either car.

Ill be getting one of the two in the near future. We'll see a driving impression once i do.

watch me burn the clutch trying to get a perfect launch down :eek:

4.5 seconds, i stand corrected. Whos got the car and driver launch? :biggrin:

Last edited:
Just get one of these until the new V10 NSX replacement is released. Slap a 7K Paxton on it and wa-la 750hp. The street racer wanna be's stare straight ahead like their neck is broke. They try to pretend the don't see you.

Attachments

• Prime.JPG
    Prime.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 1,123
I don't know where guy's get these NSX is slower to 60 the EVO ,STI stuff.

I raced my buddy who has an EVO while we were on our way to a racetrack and at first I leaped two cars ahead of him then he pulled ahead. I was on his bumper but couldn't make any progress. I was like crap those EVO's are fast. Once we get to the track he tells me he has boost controller and is running 20psi. Long and short.... NSX is not slow and had he been stock he would have been looking at NSX booty :biggrin:

I went through the same situation this weekend when I was coming back from Hot Import Nights from Atlantic City. The only difference was I was surrounded by about 15 Evos, a 1000 HP IS300, and a handful of STIs.

My girlfriend and I met up with my friend at the first gas stop on the Garden State (after we left A/C HIN around 1030 PM) and there was a whole Evo crew waiting for their friends there as well. My friend knew some of the Evo guys. As soon as my friend (STI) and I pulled out onto the Garden State, the rest of the Evo crew followed. I redlined 2nd and 3rd and I was alone, ahead of the pack. My friend told me that was the invite for the rest of them to come after me. One of the Evos (who ran 11s at the track), really got on my rear bumper and started swerving behind me, turning his lights on and off. That ticked me off so I let off the throttle and cruised until I slowed to 60 MPH and shifted to 3rd and punched it. The Evo followed and he passed me by about a 2 car lengths. I kept with him until we got into the mid triple digits on my speedo clock. That's when he started to back off and I passed him. The worst part was I had to slow down to wait for my friend in the STI who was running with their pack. I got fed up, got back up to the triple digits and kept ahead of the pack and drove home a different route. I swear it was a scene out of the Fast and the Furious. I wasn't looking to race. I was just wanted to get home safe from a long weekend at a car show. Plus, it didn't help that my girlfriend was in the car scared for her life. I got a good look at the Evo kid's face at the rest stop and I have a feeling I know where to find him. :wink:

I also heard that the Evo (who was tailing me) was racing a Civic (who kept up with him) and caused him to crash into a wall around Maurice Ave on the BQE/LIE junction.

In a way, it was good that my girlfriend was in the car. That drive home really got me heated. You really had to be there to know what I was talking about because everyone who knows me, knows that I don't race on the streets.

street racer! give us all a bad name! :biggrin:

AWD can make a crappy driver an ok driver and save you most of the time. But when the AWD luck runs out and the lead foot kicks in, nothing can save you. Knew this guy who died cause he took a turn too quick and his WRX went for flight into the canyons :biggrin: :rolleyes:

that viper is seriously sexy.... goinga get me one of those too.

nsxsupra said:
Very strange, I have never driven a EVO or STI, however I have never lost to EVO or STI off the line,:confused:, I am just an average driver. For those who own both NSX and STI or Evo. What are your thoughts on MR launch vs AWD launch.

Depending on situations, off the line to 50mph, NSX should be able to do well against just about anything on the road.
I have done many "comparision tests" against my friend's 04 Sti. We were on our way to a HPDE in Alabama. We did the "tests" at complete stop. From 0-60. the STI is quicker off the line. He put a half car length on me right off the line due to awd's superior traction, but my 91 NSX will pull on him from 70 mph on. The longer we go, the larger the distance. The STI is very hard to launch properly off the line. If he did not get it just right, the NSX will leave the STI from start to finish. We also did roll-on test, from 20 mph start, the STI has no chance due to turbo lag and down on power band. From 50 mph is still the same story. The NSX is a "complete" sports car, it does everything well. Since the tests, I was very surprise at the speed capability of the NSX compare to the STI, Too many bench racers claim the STI is faster, but I have to disagree with them. Most of them has never driven or even ride in one. they take the magazine numbers and claim to know it all. Even the owner of the STI have a new found respect for the NSX. I have found the NSX is very easy to launch and great performer in straight line acceleration.
Since this thread is about Evo. I will share my encounter with a EVO about a month ago. I was coming back from Varsity meet in Atlanta, I was going north on I-75 in Atlanta. I was traveling about 75-80 mph and come up on a blue EVO, whom I saw earlier at Varsity. As I come up on him, he merge 2 lanes over to get behind me, I was traveling in the fast lane. He was riding my bumper so hard that I could not see his headlights completely. As the traffic thins out around Windy Hill exit, He decides to do a "blow by" I saw his headlights shift to the right, but I was well prepared for this move. (I was in 3 gear all along) As soon as he switch lanes to attempt to pass me, I slam the pedal to the floor and since I was already in vtec range, I immediately pull on him at a steady pace, by the time I wind out 3rd gear and well into 4th gear, I was going about 135 mph. He was no where in sight of my mirrors. So I guess he must of given up since he realize he can't pull on the NSX. :confused: Stock EVO's and STI's are great daily driver but over rated by young teenage driver's. NSX can and do OWned these Ricers, but we are more mature and shows restraint by not racing on public roads. DISCLAIMER " THIS ABOVE EPISODE IS A LAPSE OF GOOD JUDGEMENT ON MY PART. DO NOT ATTEMPT, SERIOUS BODILY INJURIES MAY RESULT.)

Last edited:
I rolled w/ an EVO last night. He was on my tail like you guys are talking about, tailgating. I tapped the brakes a couple times w/ my left foot to let him know he was too close. He dropped back a little. I was only doing 70 or so.

I dropped it into 5th and just let the car go a bit. He stayed w/ me and I even upshifted to 6th at 110 or so. No, I was not racing this guy, just driving fast w/ him behind me as traffic opened up. I saw some cars ahead and I lifted at 120 and he goes farting on by. He had to brake hard, but seemed adamant about being "in front" or something. I gave him a thumbs up. Let him go brag to his friends. Nobody brags about beating EVOs. It's the least we can do as owners to brighten other people's days. He had no chance of passing me so long as I kept accelerating, even in 5th. Those cars may launch good or whatever, but at the higher speeds, they suffer from too much drag.

Yeah, if it was a race, I know, 3rd gear. I could have held 4th all the way to 120 too, I know. No racing. These guys in ricemobiles will do some crazy sh!t if you start actually racing w/ them.

RON98 said:
......You are sure we are talking about the same GTO?...
I think it's strange that you say the new GTO is such a killer. My friend Marc raced the new one a few weeks ago and they went side-by-side - didn't take it to 150 I'm assuming. I raced one on a freeway on-ramp just 2 days ago, I won hands down --> 1.5 to 2 car lengths at ~95 MPH. I have the NSX-R tranny and I'm not sure which NSX Marc was driving (he has two, one with and one without the R tranny).

I guess they could have been taking it easy on us, but I doubt it... :confused: :confused:

skyguy said:
An EVO is for teenagers, an NSX is for gentlemen....

I have a 2005 MR for a daily driver and an NSX. What does that make me?

People shouldn't get so defensive when a 2 lter 4 beats up on their 3 liter "exotic."

KSNSX said:
I have a 2005 MR for a daily driver and an NSX. What does that make me?

Like me :biggrin: We have the same taste in cars. One for performance and one for style :wink:

Don't get me wrong the NSX is a terrific car and I luv it more than my evo but I'd have to admit stock for stock the evo is the faster track car, has more interior room, and all weather. Just most people doesnt' like styling. I don't really blame them since the evo has the worst interior of a car I ever owned.

I'm leaving my 05 stock because in thinking about the evo10

RON98 said:
0-60 is what counts.

0-50 is great cause we have the 8000 redline... we got 2000 more then most cars... :) but once our RPM advantage falls short... we are cooked

AWD you cant launch as hard cause you'll burn the clutch, you dont have to tho cause the grip the AWD has but the MR config also has a load of grip. Like you said, we can launch hard then milk the RPM to a point.

everyone says AWD should have the jump if done right. but not sure on a MR config. Definit jump on the FR layout.

on a side note.... not related ... well some what.

E55 AMG.... oh lordy.... the spankage that car deals out is increadable. If you see the E55 AMG badge, you been warned regardless of what you drive. :eek:

haha the redline doesnt really matter much considering its really gearing + rpm , take a C6 Z06, they can go like 50 mph in first gear with its pretty low redline comparatively :biggrin: damn thats alot of torque. i think for most of the owners here 0-150 would probably count more than 0-60 :biggrin:

GTR
"the evo is the faster track car"

Somehow I find that hard to believe.
We should ask the folks here that Track cars on a regular basis.
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18
I am not saying your wrong, but must say I am surprised at the comment.
0-60 I may agree on, but on a road course?
I have owned/driven many cars, and cant think of too many if any that I can drive faster (straight line not included) Hard to beat a high comp solid lifter BB. :biggrin:

Last edited:
gtr said:
Don't get me wrong the NSX is a terrific car and I luv it more than my evo but I'd have to admit stock for stock the evo is the faster track car,UOTE]

I don't no about the NA1's ,but a stock or modified is not taking a NA2 on the track. I had my friend who has the same driving expierence as my two buddies that have EVo's one modded to 20psi and one stock and neither could get past my NSX. It was one of the best races of the day the went toe to toe ,but couldn't take the NSX. Needless to say I was really proud

:biggrin:

Of course end of the day everbody had a good time and that was the best part.

MCM said:
GTR
"the evo is the faster track car"

Somehow I find that hard to believe.
We should ask the folks here that Track cars on a regular basis.
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18
I am not saying your wrong, but must say I am surprised at the comment.
0-60 I may agree on, but on a road course?
I have owned/driven many cars, and cant think of too many if any that I can drive faster (straight line not included) Hard to beat a high comp solid lifter BB. :biggrin:

It is more of a general statement. Do you agree that 1/4 mile track and auto X the evo is usually faster? On the road track you can agree that if the course is tight or poor surface the evo will be faster? Yes, the NSX can be faster on some road course and evo faster on others. But being faster in 90% of auto X (A-Stock), drag and a toss up in road tracks i'd give the win to the evo thus justifying that the "evo is a faster track car".

If you have driven a MR you will realize that it is faster than the previous evos. The 6-speed ( better 4th gear) ACD, front LSd to minimize understeer which seems to alway be apparent in AWD cars.

gtr said:
It is more of a general statement. Do you agree that 1/4 mile track and auto X the evo is usually faster? On the road track you can agree that if the course is tight or poor surface the evo will be faster? Yes, the NSX can be faster on some road course and evo faster on others. But being faster in 90% of auto X (A-Stock), drag and a toss up in road tracks i'd give the win to the evo thus justifying that the "evo is a faster track car".

If you have driven a MR you will realize that it is faster than the previous evos. The 6-speed ( better 4th gear) ACD, front LSd to minimize understeer which seems to alway be apparent in AWD cars.

Only thing is your still comparing the 270hp version as representative of all NSX vs the improved 290hp. Hey could anybody who has both NA1 and NA2 clear this up. Everything I've read on this site ( pride aside ) shows the NA2 being a much better performer and all magazines correspond with this. I like the EVO and I think it's sooo much car for the money it's not funny ,but compared to a 97 up NSX and I think things change quite a bit.

Thats what I am curious about as well.
No pride to get burned here, but have never really thought about it.
NA1 270 HP V.S NA2 100+lbs + 20HP + 6 speed?
See, :smile: this thread did get interesting............
Again, the Track forum could probably better answer this.
(also must add, never thought about the NSX as a Drag or Slalom car)
IMO It was designed for road racing. The steering alone did it for me.

MCM said:
Thats what I am curious about as well.
No pride to get burned here, but have never really thought about it.
NA1 270 HP V.S NA2 100+lbs + 20HP + 6 speed?
See, :smile: this thread did get interesting............
Again, the Track forum could probably better answer this.
(also must add, never thought about the NSX as a Drag or Slalom car)
IMO It was designed for road racing. The steering alone did it for me.

Actually the NA1 that GTR has is a 96 which is same weight as the NA2's but w/o the additional HP and gearing. Most NA1 drivers on this site that drove the NA2 after owning an NA1 said they noticed a big difference between the two. I actually am looking to second NSX a 1994 ( cheaper than a Zanardi ) and am looking forward to see the original formula Honda put to paper.

WingZ said:
Hey could anybody who has both NA1 and NA2 clear this up.

I can't comment on your ride since I never drove a NA2. Perhaps best motoring had done some test with NA2 vs NA1 in some untranslated best motoring videos :confused:

I know they had revised the 2nd gear for the five speed in 95 but never knew if it helped since magazine haven't tested out on a drag? I guess we could go to Milan to run my car and your to see the power difference between NA1-NA2 if you want :biggrin:

Last edited:
I think the "only an EVO", "still just an EVO" type comments are silly. Especially when you consider that most of todays NSX buyers are buying 9-12 year old cars at no more than the cost of a new Evolution (like $30k or so).

How can someone say with a straight face "yeah dude, but you WISH you had my NSX!" when you know full well that they could easily buy an old used NSX for the cost of their Evolution? It doesnt make sense.

gtr said:
I can't comment on your ride since I never drove a NA2. Perhaps best motoring had done some test with NA2 vs NA1 in some untranslated best motoring videos :confused:

I know they had revised the 2nd gear for the five speed in 95 but never knew if it helped since magazine haven't tested out on a drag? I guess we could go to Milan to run my car and your to see the power difference between NA1-NA2 if you want :biggrin:

That would be fun :biggrin:

spookyp said:
I think the "only an EVO", "still just an EVO" type comments are silly. Especially when you consider that most of todays NSX buyers are buying 9-12 year old cars at no more than the cost of a new Evolution (like $30k or so).

How can someone say with a straight face "yeah dude, but you WISH you had my NSX!" when you know full well that they could easily buy an old used NSX for the cost of their Evolution? It doesnt make sense.

Hey Spookyp

How've you been? You were still one of my favorite NSX commenters. What did you get after the NSX?

Back