• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New NSX Delayed

Wow, that SUCKS. Come on Acura. By the time it actually comes out it will be time for a facelift.

I said all along it would not be this year....now give me some soup...

Seriously, Acura??

You might as well redesign the interior while you're at it.

This is pretty disappointing.

Maybe a result of this (?) 7/27/15....

"Accavitti, vice president and general manager of Acura, has abruptly left the company and has been replaced by Jon Ikeda-
formerly division director of auto design at Honda’s R&D Americas division and has been with Honda since 1989"

The delay is due to the fact they wanted to add turbos?
Without the turbos it would be at most 400hp which no one would like so the initial engine design was subpar to other exotics especially if the cost was to be over 100k anyway.

Last edited:
In addition to adding turbos, they rotated the engine 90 degrees which required a new tranny, which required lengthening the car etc. It was a profound change and one that we engineers hate to see late in the design cycle. But, if I were designing an NSX I wouldn't want to let it go until I felt it was the best it could be. When I saw the 2 cars in Dallas, an Acura rep told me that they are still tweaking it.

The more and more I wait for this car, the more I feel that the NSX is going to be a major flop. Lately, I've been pretty turned off by the production interior design compared to the interior on the concept version as well as to other competitors in the 100-200k market.

The more and more I wait for this car, the more I feel that the NSX is going to be a major flop. Lately, I've been pretty turned off by the production interior design compared to the interior on the concept version as well as to other competitors in the 100-200k market.

I have to agree. The interior just doesnt feel special looking at it. It almost looks like something you would find in the TL. Maybe the materials are much better than they look in photos. Compared to a 488 though, this interior is a snooze.

Over promise, under deliver. Seems to be the mantra with the NSX. As good as the car may or may not be, they should NOT have previewed it 4-5 years ago. Setup for disappointment, right where they're standing now.

I agree about the interior.....If anyone on the design teem is reading prime...please make the interior pop with more exclusive materials and quality befitting a top level super-car.

Acura should just stop displaying the car in the public domain for a while until they're really ready. They're making themselves look more and more incompetent with each passing announcement. They were supposed to make public important details about the car today and all we got was fluff. This type of PR mismanagement really doesn't give buyers confidence.

I really wanted to like the new car, and maybe it can still be a success. But the repeated disappointments stemming from these delays makes it hard to stay interested. There really are quite few viable alternatives out there.

What gets in my craw is that the current delay happened at the exact same time the car is displayed all over Monterey so this news basically washes out any momentum that Acura is trying to achieve. It makes no sense that Acura would shoot themselves in the foot like this. Not to mention the news that the first year production will be limited to 200 cars. As far as longitudinal engine and turbos are concerned, that was the reason for the last delay, remember Detroit?

Those of you not happy with the interior (myself included). This is the guy ultimately responsible.

john-norman-acura-designboom-thumb250.jpg

What a flop.

As anxious as I was to find out the final specs and have the car released to the media for testing, I think Acura is smart and doing their dilue diligence to make sure the car is #1 reliable and # 2 kicks ass regarding its competition. The competition has obviously been increasing as of late and I think Acura wants to come out on top. Much the same way they did in 1990.

As anxious as I was to find out the final specs and have the car released to the media for testing, I think Acura is smart and doing their dilue diligence to make sure the car is #1 reliable and # 2 kicks ass regarding its competition. The competition has obviously been increasing as of late and I think Acura wants to come out on top. Much the same way they did in 1990.

You don't think the competition is going to stand still and let HONDA kick their ass do you?
Acura cannot come out on top by forever delaying the NSX.... Rather they have to bring out a good product AND THEN CONTINUE TO IMPROVE UPON IT in each succeeding model year like the P and F cars do!!

They have got to get that through their head.
That is the mistake they made with the first generation....they came out with a fabulous car and then sat on their hands as the 911 and the ferrari continued to evolve into the superb machines of today.

You really get the sense that Acura doesn't understand how this game works. When the other guys release their new car, they're already working on the next one. They always leave something on the table so that the successor to the new car will have something "better" about it. But more and more so it appears Acura are struggling just to get their product to the same level as the self-declared competition and it makes you wonder where the next breakthrough is going to come from. Their repertoire seems remarkably limited.

Like many of you, I've been an admirer of Honda for decades, but the current team seems to be learning on the job.

I think you forgot about the reliability factor. They dont want to be like Ferrari with all sorts of half ass engineering issues. Ask me how I know. A big reason I am high on the new NSX. Once you own a few Ferraris you get sick of the 3000.00 bills when things break on a car with 10,000 miles on it. As my Indie mechanic says; Ferraris are engineered like sh*t.

I think you forgot about the reliability factor. They dont want to be like Ferrari with all sorts of half ass engineering issues. Ask me how I know. A big reason I am high on the new NSX. Once you own a few Ferraris you get sick of the 3000.00 bills when things break on a car with 10,000 miles on it. As my Indie mechanic says; Ferraris are engineered like sh*t.

But would you agree if the company's business case for the new NSX included a serious look at the competition they've identified that they should have known a ~400-hp power-train was never going to cut it? It seems so strange that a mid-development re-think was necessary at all. Everybody wants a dependable product, but long before "dependability" is factored into the buying decision process you have to sort out the "desirability" first.

My problem isn't with the car. It's the people at the helm that makes me wonder if I want to give them my money.

Why does this not surprise me? Tired of talking about it, moving on. I have a new tlx as a loaner car while my mdx is getting detailed and it is so generic I do not know where to start. Maybe it's the thrill of the 199 hp at the crank engine, coupled with more gears then Lance Armstrongs bicycle. It's that kind of thrill. Thrilling enough to move on to another brand or just stay with a good ol Honda Accord or civic.

Back