• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New NSX Delayed

Aug 14, 2015 - CARMEL-BY-THE-SEA, Calif.

The next-generation Acura NSX is produced at the new, dedicated Performance Manufacturing Center (PMC) in Marysville, Ohio, using domestic and globally sourced parts. With trial production already underway and production start-up scheduled for spring 2016, this world-class manufacturing facility employs groundbreaking techniques in weld, body construction, body painting, final assembly and quality confirmation to ensure the highest levels of precision and craftsmanship.

More details on the unique and innovative manufacturing processes at the PMC will be rolled out over the months leading up to the start of production, but the following highlights of the new facility were shared during the 2015 Monterey Automotive Week:
•Innovative blend of people and technology: throughout the PMC, NSX production is centered around the skills of approximately 100 experienced engineers and technicians building the NSX to precise levels of quality and craftsmanship.
•All-glass quality confirmation center: A total quality approach to production is evident not only in the mindset of every PMC technician, but in the very design of the facility, with an all-glass quality confirmation center located in the middle of the manufacturing floor. This allows for technicians from every department to monitor all aspects of a vehicle as it moves through the entire production process.
•World's first weld technology: the world's first use of all robotic MIG welding employs eight robots to apply approximately 900 MIG welds. This surgical welding process results in a space frame that is incredibly precise, in addition to being ultra rigid and lightweight.
•Craftsmanship: hand craftsmanship complements high tech robotic processes throughout the assembly of the NSX:
◦Every bolt on the NSX is hand started by a PMC technician
◦Exterior body panels are installed manually at the end of assembly and from the inside out to ensure 100 percent symmetrical side-to-side fitment
◦Lasers are used to find door hem edges, fenders and door gaps in order to install all exterior panels without requiring adjustments

•Master engine builders: the NSX's 3.5-liter twin-turbocharged V-6 engine with dry sump is hand assembled by master builders at the nearby Anna, Ohio engine plant. Each engine takes over six hours to complete and is machine balanced.
◦Each NSX power unit — engine, 9-speed dual clutch transmission with direct-drive electric motor, and front Twin Motor Unit – is bench-tested and broken-in (the engine to the equivalent of 150 driving miles) to ensure that every NSX is track-ready upon customer delivery
◦The engine build process was benchmarked against some of the company's race engine programs to ensure the highest possible quality and performance standards were achieved

Last edited:
6 hours to build and engine? Seems damn fast to me. I'd be happier if it was 36.

Really not happy about this delay. Car is really starting to date prior to release.

Someone mentioned that production was limited to 200. Is that a reduction from a previous figure?

"Production start-up scheduled for spring 2016" = "production start-up" sometime between March 20 and June 20, 2016 = first deliveries no earlier than May 2016, and possibly not before July 2016. Given Acura's prior (mis)representation that deliveries would commence in 2015, the foregoing is profoundly disappointing. I was willing to defer my new car purchase until November-December. I am not willing to sit idly and defer a new car until the Summer of 2016. Thus, as much as I love the new NSX, I have decided to move on, get something else for the time-being, and defer any NSX purchase for a couple of years. Whatever I get will be a second choice, but the delays have now become intolerable.

yep when they said 2015, I was thinking, be prudent, hold on to the NA1 save and then there was a possibility to not have to have a trade up intermediate (like say an R8 but GAWD I hate the blades - worst design add on EVER) and now yet ANOTHER delay. At this rate, as a possible "second" owner, I see it when I need a walker... I love the look and design of the car but Jezuss, its like waiting for the hot chick to finally say yes to dance with you at the high school dance knowing your a dork... it just probably isn't going to happen.... Acura get your act together, you look second rate now and by the time this comes out the 488 will probably be replace with the 498 or whatever........ rant off... :(

200? Do you have a link/source for that info?

gfunk808
user-offline.png

Registered User<dl class="userinfo_extra" style="margin: 5px 0px; float: left; width: 180px; height: auto !important;"><dt style="margin: 0px 10px 0px 0px; padding: 0px; float: left; min-width: 60px; width: auto !important;">Join Date</dt><dd style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px 0px 3px;">Jun 2005</dd><dt style="margin: 0px 10px 0px 0px; padding: 0px; float: left; min-width: 60px; width: auto !important;">Location</dt><dd style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px 0px 3px;">Cali</dd><dt style="margin: 0px 10px 0px 0px; padding: 0px; float: left; min-width: 60px; width: auto !important;">Posts</dt><dd style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px 0px 3px;">105</dd><dt style="margin: 0px 10px 0px 0px; padding: 0px; float: left; min-width: 60px; width: auto !important;">Feedback Score</dt><dd style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px 0px 3px;">1 (100%)</dd><dt style="margin: 0px 10px 0px 0px; padding: 0px; float: left; min-width: 60px; width: auto !important;">Mentioned</dt><dd style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px 0px 3px;">0 Post(s)</dd><dt style="margin: 0px 10px 0px 0px; padding: 0px; float: left; min-width: 60px; width: auto !important;">Tagged</dt><dd style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px 0px 3px;">0 Thread(s)</dd></dl>

Updates from Monterey car week
I spent a little time talking to one of the sales anD marketing guys, here's what I was able to find out:

– Still finalizing specs, and then pricing. It didn't sound like he thought they were going to be announced this week.
– Orders will be taken through the website. Then go to the dealership to arrange financing. It was unclear how you could choose your dealer on the website, He assumed it is location-based with options to pick someone close.
– initial production for this year will be something around 200 cars
– Dealers will be selected for allocation based on sales volume and customer satisfaction, as well as (probably lesser extent?) ability to service and showcase the car
–Colors will be: white, black, blue, and the two versions of red you have seen touring
– Both the wheel options in recent photos will be available, Didn't seem like either was standard – you just have to pick one
– Ceramic brakes are an upgrade

That's about all I got!​

"Production start-up scheduled for spring 2016" = "production start-up" sometime between March 20 and June 20, 2016 = first deliveries no earlier than May 2016, and possibly not before July 2016. Given Acura's prior (mis)representation that deliveries would commence in 2015, the foregoing is profoundly disappointing. I was willing to defer my new car purchase until November-December. I am not willing to sit idly and defer a new car until the Summer of 2016. Thus, as much as I love the new NSX, I have decided to move on, get something else for the time-being, and defer any NSX purchase for a couple of years. Whatever I get will be a second choice, but the delays have now become intolerable.

I wouldn't worry too much here. Porsche is accepting orders for the new 991.2 generation 911's with turbo engines this fall for summer 2016 delivery which will be 2017 model year cars. This move by Acura doesn't seem all that bad...probably bought them more time and now aligns with Porsche as I mentioned prior.

Last edited:
Lost in all this is Mike Accavitti leaving as the senior person at Acura and being replaced by Jon Ikeda, a long time Honda designer.
Not sure if this change is linked to the NSX in any way but I think it will turn out to be a good thing.

Why does this not surprise me? Tired of talking about it, moving on. I have a new tlx as a loaner car while my mdx is getting detailed and it is so generic I do not know where to start. Maybe it's the thrill of the 199 hp at the crank engine, coupled with more gears then Lance Armstrongs bicycle. It's that kind of thrill. Thrilling enough to move on to another brand or just stay with a good ol Honda Accord or civic.

A bit out of topic but I agree 100%, had the 2nd gen RDX as a loaner and then a TLX while getting my 2nd gen MDX in for service earlier this year (tranny issue both times, good thing that I have the 7 year extended warranty).

It was a serious WTF moment, the tuning for the suspension on both vehicles was abysmal, interior material sub par compared to my 2nd gen MDX.

The suspension tuning on the 1st or 2nd gen TSX would run around in circles around both vehicles, only vehicle in the Acura lineup that I was interested in was a TSX wagon, sadly those are no longer been made.

A bit more on-topic, the NSX interior on the design concept looked promising, the actual production vehicles looks a bit bland in comparison. Maybe with the delay the folks in charge will take a close look at the interior again and tweak things here and there.

For those folks waiting for the car, condolences, it really sucks how Acura/Honda has been stringing along folks who are interested in the car.

When Ted Klaus said the car was going be built for early 2015 I was very doubtful. Acura may lose a lot by this delay and the car may possibly end up as a big turd. They really have no presence in the automotive market besides for the MDX. I hope I'm wrong.

Actually could be a good thing – more time to save up my pennies, enjoy the current car, and potentially find something better...

A bit out of topic but I agree 100%, had the 2nd gen RDX as a loaner and then a TLX while getting my 2nd gen MDX in for service earlier this year (tranny issue both times, good thing that I have the 7 year extended warranty).

It was a serious WTF moment, the tuning for the suspension on both vehicles was abysmal, interior material sub par compared to my 2nd gen MDX.

The suspension tuning on the 1st or 2nd gen TSX would run around in circles around both vehicles, only vehicle in the Acura lineup that I was interested in was a TSX wagon, sadly those are no longer been made.

Totally agree. I recently had a TLX loaner while my NSX was getting worked on. And my wife has a 2nd gen TSX 6-speed. The TSX definitely feels more sporty and fun to drive than the TLX. I cannot understand why professional reviewers are saying that the TLX has better seats (only true if you're fat), handles better (wrong), and is far quieter inside (only mildly true). And I don't like how the TLX interior design aims towards an "entry luxury car" feel, whereas the TSX design felt more sporty without any sense of pretentiousness.

The only current Acura that even remotely appeals to me is the ILX. But the ILX interior feels cheap and now that they've discontinued the amazing feeling ILX 6-speed, there's not many reasons left to recommend one.

The new NSX or Tesla Model X - which one will be first! I've been waiting for both unfortunately.

While I would like to see it for sale ASAP, it is in Honda's best interest to make sure everything is right (design, engineering, manufacturing, supplier quality, assembler training, etc) before releasing it. Our 2015 Acura MDX has been an nice vehicle, but it looked like a few interior pieces were poorly designed. While we haven't had any major problems, look at the MDX forums to see where a lot of folks are having a variety of electronic issues.

The new NSX or Tesla Model X - which one will be first!

lmao this

- - - Updated - - -

I think you forgot about the reliability factor. They dont want to be like Ferrari with all sorts of half ass engineering issues. Ask me how I know. A big reason I am high on the new NSX. Once you own a few Ferraris you get sick of the 3000.00 bills when things break on a car with 10,000 miles on it. As my Indie mechanic says; Ferraris are engineered like sh*t.

Basing my comment off your profile image, Im assuming you own a 360 spider, which is exactly what i owned and yes they were engineered probably by a team of monkeys on cocaine. But have you been in modern ferraris? You get the sense that these monkeys have evolved into wise men in lab coats who actually understand people buy a ferrari for more than just an exhaust note and a badge

- - - Updated - - -

Seriously, Acura??

You might as well redesign the interior while you're at it.

This is pretty disappointing.

what he said

I presume this also means that their target of July/August for getting the car into the hands of the car mags for testing is probably also delayed if they're still in final tuning themselves and haven't even released final HP/TQ numbers. Probably won't see reviews for months.

Don't forget that a 458 or 488 will be another 100k than the NSX. And even if I wanted to drop that much on a car, which I would not, I still would put much more faith in Honda engineering than Ferrari. Same with the Germans, I had an 2007 SL55 and a 2008 M5 that cost a fortune everytime they had a problem. I would buy an LFA if I could figure if the price will be going up or down in the next few years. The Japenese just take more time and care more about getting the engineering nearly perfect before they release the car. Hence the delay with the NSX. I love the European exotics, but they just cost a fortune to run and are 100 K more than the NSX which I believe when released will blow them all away. Much like back in 1991.

Personally, I'm fine with the delay as long as it isn't a few more years. I'd rather the engineers work out the bugs so I don't have to. As others have said, their display of the vehicle in Monterey and the viral advertising with the NSX on tour doesn't seem very wise.

So the test/press cars must have had many issues for then to push back production and didn't let the press test drive it. And Numbers can't be released until its production ready.

The RLX and TLX and ILX are a flop again with the revamp. MDX and RDX looks really plain next to the new Lexus suv's Honda is doing terrible in F1. They just might axe the NSX again or sell the few they made as collector cars.

Last edited:
Like many other here, I've patiently waited (with excitement) about the impending launch of the gen 2 car. But, with the additional delays and conversation with a family member who is an Acura dealer, I decided to move on. Thus, I just purchased a '14 12C with 200 miles on the clock. Utterly amazing car.

Don't forget that a 458 or 488 will be another 100k than the NSX. And even if I wanted to drop that much on a car, which I would not, I still would put much more faith in Honda engineering than Ferrari. Same with the Germans, I had an 2007 SL55 and a 2008 M5 that cost a fortune everytime they had a problem. I would buy an LFA if I could figure if the price will be going up or down in the next few years. The Japenese just take more time and care more about getting the engineering nearly perfect before they release the car. Hence the delay with the NSX. I love the European exotics, but they just cost a fortune to run and are 100 K more than the NSX which I believe when released will blow them all away. Much like back in 1991.

Yea because the GTR was engineered so well when it first came out... if you over look the exploding transmissions. And how can you talk ab out buying an LFA if you wouldnt spend the money on a 488... Also we can't talk about "Honda reliability" for a couple reasons:

1 - their engines are doing so well in F1 this year...

2 - They've never done this. They have never attempted a production car of this magnitude. Torque is the biggest killer of reliability in powertrain which is why their cars are "so reliable" because a mouse makes more torque than most of their production line. And if you don't think this car is going to cost a "fortune" to run you very confused. Ferrari charged me 150 and hour for labor and Acura already charges me 135 and hour labor for my nsx which will most likely increase for this new one.

Like many other here, I've patiently waited (with excitement) about the impending launch of the gen 2 car. But, with the additional delays and conversation with a family member who is an Acura dealer, I decided to move on. Thus, I just purchased a '14 12C with 200 miles on the clock. Utterly amazing car.
Hope you did your homework first, and resolved your depreciation concerns. And don't run into any quality and reliability issues that seem to plague them.

Interesting to read your complaints about the Acura models. I always thought we in Europe were neglected in favor for the US and Asian markets since more than ten years. Sales fell short significantly but this year seems to be a turnaround year with three new models (Civic Type-R, HR-V and Jazz). Only drawback: we don't get hybrids in the future as it seems.

You really get the sense that Acura doesn't understand how this game works. When the other guys release their new car, they're already working on the next one. They always leave something on the table so that the successor to the new car will have something "better" about it.
This is exactly why they changed direction on the engine. They wanted to have more headroom to add horsepower later in the game.

But would you agree if the company's business case for the new NSX included a serious look at the competition they've identified that they should have known a ~400-hp power-train was never going to cut it? It seems so strange that a mid-development re-think was necessary at all.
Exactly. The fact that they needed to build an underpowered prototype and test it against to competition to verify that their original approach was in fact inadequate is kind of absurd. I mean it should have been fairly obvious where they needed to set the bar when they embarked on this project in 2011/2012. There are some seriously hard-headed and short-sighted people in power at Honda. Thankfully it seems some semblance of sanity is returning but it will take years to come to fruition for some of the other products supposedly in the pipeline (10th gen CTR, S2000 replacement, etc.).

Back