• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

No V8 next generation NSX

Two diiferent magazine reports state that the next Acura RL will have a 300 Hp V6 motor. If Honda won't make the philosophical and financial investment for a main stream model like the RL to compete against the LS 430, Q45, 740 and S500, I really doubt they would produce a V8 just for the NSX. Acura may build a new NSX with a new generation V6 (not based on the RL as the current NSX engine wasn't based on the Legend) but a 4.0 litre V8 isn't in the cards.....pity.:confused:

I think they have blinders on........Americans buy horsepower....

I also hope they have a v8, i think Toyota's v-10 supercar comin out next year will take alot of future nsx owners if they dont have a v8 with at least 400hp. The Toyota will have 500hp and cost 150k.

I was really suprised, I thought for sure they would develop a V8 for the Rl and maybe a large SUV...

Why does the number of cylinders concern you? Look at Viper owners... you don't hear them complaining that Dodge doesn't put a V-12 under the hood.

What we're really concerned with is speed, right? Sure more horsepower makes more speed, but look at the S2000. It is as fast as a Camaro, having only half the cylinders, and just over 1/3 the displacement.

I don't personally care whether they put a v-14 or an I-4 in the next NSX, as long as it moves the car quickly. I just hope they don't turbo/supercharge it at the factory.

One of the things that I like about the NSX is that it doesn't rely on horsepower to be an impressive car. Many other sports cars are only considered formidable because their engines are generating 400 or 500 horsepower. Other than that, the cars are pretty "normal."

I am with you

naaman said:
Why does the number of cylinders concern you? Look at Viper owners... you don't hear them complaining that Dodge doesn't put a V-12 under the hood.

What we're really concerned with is speed, right? Sure more horsepower makes more speed, but look at the S2000. It is as fast as a Camaro, having only half the cylinders, and just over 1/3 the displacement.

I don't personally care whether they put a v-14 or an I-4 in the next NSX, as long as it moves the car quickly. I just hope they don't turbo/supercharge it at the factory.

One of the things that I like about the NSX is that it doesn't rely on horsepower to be an impressive car. Many other sports cars are only considered formidable because their engines are generating 400 or 500 horsepower. Other than that, the cars are pretty "normal."

Who Cares about the displacement or how many cylinders it has. I would not mind seeing the current 3.2 done up from the factory with 325-350hp. I am sure it is possible with spinning it up to 9000 RPM and doing some head, intake, exhaust, CPU enhancements. Then the boys at Honda need to get the production NSX T down to 2800-2900 lbs. Offer a non T in the US that is even less weight and you will have a screamer. I have a Euro car mag that has a review of the current R, 2800 lbs 0-60 in 4.4 and 12.8 in the quarter mile. Add 40-50hp loose another hundred lbs and bingo low 4 second 0-60 12.5's in the quarter. Not to mention 180MPH at a minimum top end. What else can one ask for in a sub 100 grand, all hand made car like the NSX. If you want to go out and pick on the Vipers, Vetts, Ferraris, Mustangs, Ect, put a 75 shot of Nitrous on your NSX and run sub 4 second 0-60's and 11's in the quarter right of the street (I do this now). Or you could spend 80 grand on a Viper, yea its fast, yea the kid's around town loved it, and yea once you have had an NSX you will hate the Viper, you will want to sell it, If you do you will loose around 5 grand after 3 months and buy another NSX (I did this). I went through this with a Ferrari also but made 5 grand, so broke even that year. You could go out and buy a new Turbo Porsche, spend 125 grand plus, and look like most other Porsche's and not go to much faster than an NSX with some add on's.
To all of you Viper, Porsche, and Ferrari owners I do not mean to offend so don't bust my chops to bad. It is just my opinion based on personal experience.
AJKS

I suppose Honda doesnt 'need' the nsx. But I cant imagine they would cut it loose after 12 years and their initial commitment. UNLESS it is in opposition to other Honda goals. Which i suppose it might be, but dont see how. I commend Honda's do more with less philosophy--which is the nature of true art. At one time a reliable AND high revving engine was considered impossible. I'm ok with whatever it takes to produce a quicker car. Whether it has 8 cyl or two HUGE Gerbils is irrelevant to me. They just better be fast. :D

Honda / Acura has typically been 1-2 cyl down from their competition. Even the gen 1 NSX had some people wondering if/why/when a V8.

Look at the new RL, TSX, RSX, Civic TypeS, MDX, Pilot - many of their competitors off more cyl in some varient - same story.

I think Honda is going to stick to their guns and their world wide success tells a compeling story.

If you don't like high HP, high reving, lower cyl engines - you probably aren't going to be happy with the next NSX IMO.

Right now a 3.5L V6 and the logical extention of the carbon fiber they are using on the TypeR and you would have a screemer.

I see it as similar to the AMA superbike motorcycles being raced. In Superbike, they can only race the bikes that are sold in the dealerships like the 600cc's and 750cc's, based on minimum # amount sold to the public. But now since the 750's are becoming taken over by the 1000cc bikes, the manufacturers are cutting back on investing in the 750s and marching onward with the bigger inline 4 cylinder 1000's. (Of course there are some exceptions with the type of engine the bike has according to the displacement (v-twins vs inline 4's)). But I see it as this, if the same race rules are out there where the NSX's are being raced, I do not see them stopping the manufacturing of the NSX sold in the dealerships. (This is where I am unfamiliar with NSX car races) and I can be totally off the mark here) But I know that in the past, Yamaha had created a special 750 in 1994-95 that was sold at a premium price but as long as they sold their minimum, they could race it.

As for the displacement of the next NSX, I don't see them throwing a V8 in there, but I do foresee them boring out the cylinders from 3.2L to maybe 3.5L, possibly increasing the HP over the 325-350 raange or hopefully 400.... :-D I see Honda as making the most out of the those smaller displaced engines (4's and 6 cyl). They know that brute power can be made by increasing the cylinders but why go that route (like Dodge, etc).
I think they (Honda) have the little David vs Goliath philosophy..... and I like it!!!

my $.02

Last edited:
I honestly think if honda was going to update the engine, they would have done it with the 2002 redesign. I am starting to think there is no new NSX and we should just enjoy what we have.. now where is that supercharger ... :)

I said it a long time ago back when every thread here was asking about the 'new' NSX (maybe the forum Nazi could find it) and I'll say it again. Don't get too exited for a new NSX because there probably will not be one. Continuing with subtle changes, maybe but a total redesign/powerplant/price change, etc. is not happening.

It's all speculation and conjecture, guys. If you want to do that, it can be fun - but don't get too distraught.

If they bring out a new car that is another world-beater, it will sell like hotcakes and bring a halo to the marque. If they bring out a car that is no better than the competition, it will be seen as a me-too effort and it won't sell. Their marketers are surely aware of this.

That Toyota 5000GT is another pipe-dream as well. There's no real inidcator that Toyota will ever actually release that car and the latest speculation I had heard indicated that, with Toyota's dismal F1 performance lately, holding your breath for the 5000GT wouldn't be a smart move.

At least Honda has put their money where their mouth is and actually kept the NSX alive. They're the only Japanese company that has ever attempted a high dollar exotic sports car to compete with the likes of Porsche and Ferrari and they've kept it going. With the current economic situation and the move towards SUVs, I'd be surprised if Toyota et al all of a sudden decide that now is the time to challenge the NSX (esp given that the NSX has not exactly been a big success).

If anything, all of these guys are going to stick with what Japan does really well: produce huge bang-for-the-buck alternative sports cars (RX-8, 350Z, EVO, WRX, etc. etc. etc.) As an example, Nissan hasn't even comitted to bringing the GTR to US shores! They seem pretty happy to just push the ultra-economical G35 coupe.

I agree with AKJS and Naaman, in that I am not the horepower hungry person that wants a 500hp NSX. Like Biaggi, I like motorcycle racing. Have you ever taken a look at Honda's CBR 954RR? Unlike other motorcycle manufacters, Honda prefered to add some power to the aging 900RR to appx. 954CC but also to lighten the bike. I own a CBR 600F4i (599cc) Honda bike that blows me away. While my friends with decked out Yamaha R1s, and my brother with a decked out Suzuki 750GSXR have more power than me I easily Keep up with them in my stock Honda F4i.
Oops. I forgot to add the that in the bike crew were in I (and other Honda owners) have not had to stay home because our bikes (unlike the other biker, Ducati) because their bikes were in the shop. My Bike (like my honda's) has never let ME down.

My point is this. If Honda came out with an NSX with 320Hp, I lighter frame, and some styling cues from JGTC (am I obsessed?) I think they could have made "a lil" more sales than before. But, unfortunately, from my experience with other people (at least around here in Miami) Americans think Chevy Vette, Dodge Viper, and Ford Mustang (yuck) when they think power. Honda, in their minds is a small sedan making car company known for reliability and quality. Sure, isn't that why Honda made the NSX? Hasn't the NSX proven itself as an ample competitor in various forms of racing? Hasn't Honda proven themselves by competing in a variety of racing formats from motorcycle racing to formula one?

I picture the Honda guys shrugging their shoulders at "those peoples" opinions while still making the NSX and snubbing their noses at the critics.....And I.....Applaude them.:D

My opinion I say they should just make a new body design that still resembles the old NSXs. The engine should be bored to like 3.6 ltr. and balanced it to perfection. Hopefully it will produce at least 370 hp and rev up to 9,000rpms. Then use a complete carbon fiber body. Making the car weight about 2,700lbs. I think they could do this. The car should have great handling, acceleration, and top speed if done right. The car should be sold for about 120,000 dollars. Seeing that the car should be hand made and that the leather should be hand stiched to give it one of the best quality interiors. If they do these things the car should at leat cost that much. That is why I like the nsx too. It is a rare, high quality, fast, reliable, and agile car. Also it will put it in the league of the ferrari 360 or even slightly better if done right.

I don't know as much as you guys about cars so please don't get at me if some of these things sounds rediculous but this is what I think they should do. Let just put it this weight the car should be agile, light, and have close to 400hp without having a V8.

Acutally I would mind just having a regular NSX with a slight cosmetic change, bored out, and balanced engine.

Sorry about so much thoughts but I would love to see that new electrical and gasoline power NSX. That would put honda in its own league of exotics. It would make it one of the best cars in history since it give you almost everything that poeple love in exotics and helps them save money. Just think about it a 35mile for a galone NSX that competes with the 360 or (Merciulago, Oh wait it already can) sorry just had to put that in felt like it fit in great with my little essay thing.

Okay I'm done.

Roadrunner said:
And since they already run a 500 hp NA 3.5L in their racing NSX's I think they could squeeze 400hp for the street version. JMHO

While the sound of a V8, even a sm,all block is sweet, Comptech is in R&D testing a larger blower on their SC with some 400HP output .... both are local cars, one is their yellow template and the other a silver with all the goodies plus some ..... from what I understand, the intake was csutom made to fit the blower ....

Stay tuned ..........

What frustrates me is Honda is taking the Accord and CL/TL lines to much larger horsepower with both increased cylinders and increased displacement, but not in their sports cars. The only reason the V6 made it to the Accord was Honda was getting spanked in the freeway onramp and passing game by Toyota, Nissan and Ford. Now it is 240 horsepower sixes in a bunch of cars, while the RSX gets another 10, the Prelude goes away, and the NSX gets 20 six years ago. Even Audi has dropped it's nice twin turbo v6 in favor of a v8 in the S4.

I know the NSX is about balance, but when most of the big boys are doing 350+ horses, that balance just does not cut the marketing mustard. BTW, weight loss would be and ideal solution to that quandry, as the 2-300lbs I have dropped off the white car has truly transformed it around the track.:D

Attachments

• race pictures 092.jpg
    race pictures 092.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 1,355
About time we had more speculation of the NSX2 :)

<B>kinnsella: Two diiferent magazine reports state that the next Acura RL will have a 300 Hp V6 motor. </B>

Are these the same magazines that said the NSX2 would have V-8 and V-12? :rolleyes:

no point speculating... but it would be nice if Honda gave the NSX a fresh breath of life; especially after their initial development & success. My only request is the continue to call it the NSX... otherwise Lud will have to rename nsxprime to 'www.rlprime.com' :p

Biaggi said:
I see it as similar to the AMA superbike motorcycles being raced. In Superbike, they can only race the bikes that are sold in the dealerships like the 600cc's and 750cc's, based on minimum # amount sold to the public. But now since the 750's are becoming taken over by the 1000cc bikes, the manufacturers are cutting back on investing in the 750s and marching onward with the bigger inline 4 cylinder 1000's. (Of course there are some exceptions with the type of engine the bike has according to the displacement (v-twins vs inline 4's)). But I see it as this, if the same race rules are out there where the NSX's are being raced, I do not see them stopping the manufacturing of the NSX sold in the dealerships. (This is where I am unfamiliar with NSX car races) and I can be totally off the mark here) But I know that in the past, Yamaha had created a special 750 in 1994-95 that was sold at a premium price but as long as they sold their minimum, they could race it.

As for the displacement of the next NSX, I don't see them throwing a V8 in there, but I do foresee them boring out the cylinders from 3.2L to maybe 3.5L, possibly increasing the HP over the 325-350 raange or hopefully 400.... :-D I see Honda as making the most out of the those smaller displaced engines (4's and 6 cyl). They know that brute power can be made by increasing the cylinders but why go that route (like Dodge, etc).
I think they (Honda) have the little David vs Goliath philosophy..... and I like it!!!

my $.02
Only David vs. Goliath with the cars, why cant Honda make the Nsx top dog like they do with their racebikes? The new Moto Gp bike is making 230 hp now, it is an engineering marvel and has the most power of any racebike in the world. Honda is top dog when it comes to Ama Superbike and the World championship motorcycle roadracing, i wish they would make a 4-500 hp nsx because you will need at least that much to keep up in the next year or so. The baby Lambo has 500hp, the new 360 Modena replacement will have a v10 and closing in on 500hp, for Honda to compete with Ferrari and Lambo they will need a v-8, just my opinion of course.

ncdogdoc said:
The only reason the V6 made it to the Accord was Honda was getting spanked in the freeway onramp and passing game by Toyota, Nissan and Ford.

Not true. The Accord has had an available V6 for a while now. It was originally introduced because the press (and, consequently, potential buyers) were demanding it, not because the 4-cylinder Accord was slow. In fact, the V6 versions of the Camry, Altima, and Taurus were barely faster than the 4-cylinder Accord.

ncdogdoc said:
Now it is 240 horsepower sixes in a bunch of cars, while the RSX gets another 10

The increase in the power of the RSX (200 for the Type S) is 5 over the Integra Type R, and 30 over the model it replaces, the Integra GS-R.

I think if Honda brought out a new NSX that got 400 horsepower from a V6 (or even an inline 4!), and the car did 0-60 in the low fours, no one would care how many cylinders it had.

Exactly! Who cares about cylinders/displacement. It's all about performance in the end. However they decide to make the car faster is fine by me, as long as it remains normally aspirated.

I just want ramble a little bit.

I'm not going to say anything about the next generation NSX.

Has any of you picked up a Japanese Car Buyer's guide lately? I have. Guess which sports car is ranked #1? The NSX.

Guess what other cars I saw there? They are still selling the Toyota Previa (or Estima in Japan), and the US Honda Odyssey is called Honda Lagreat in Japan. They don't even sell a Toyota Sienna in Japan. The JDM Honda Odyssey is smaller and only has 210hp and has available AWD. It was rated higher than the lagreat, the US Odyssey, in Japan.

Going back a few years I see the RX7, 300ZX, 3000GT, Supra, all alive and well in its "home" country.

So what's my point? Sometimes we forget where the NSX is from. It's from Japan. All the other great Japanese sports cars that were scorned by US consumers were merely yanked out of the US market. Have you noticed that more and more Japanese automobiles are built and designed here in the US to cater US consumers? Have you noticed that the MDX, TL, CL, Accord, and such that were built specifically for the US market receive less criticism than the ones that were imported over?

I don't know what they will decide to do, just wanted to ramble a little bit.

That's a good point. I haven't been off the continent, but I'd imagine that in most countries, the majority of cars are domestic (to that country).

In America, for example, you'd probably see more Camaros, Corvettes, and Mustangs alone, than all other foreign makes combined ;)

But really, I think a lot of American "gearheads" probably grew up working on thier dad's Camaro/Mustang/Charger etc. and so have developed a certain taste for domestic brands. Anything different just has no appeal to them (and a lot of "them" are simply narrow minded). Many of the people I've talked to that don't like Japanese cars often complain about them having "no torque."

I laughed, however, when one such individual compared an S2000 to a Z06, saying "it may not get 120HP/Liter, but it gets better gas milage and out-performs it in every way" (we were discussing the benefeits of overhead cams, which I was for and he was against, claiming that overhead cam engines make too little torque compared to his LS1... he somehow forgot that we were talking about 2-liter engines producing upwards of 200HP, and not 5.7 liter ohv engines making 300+ lb.ft). Anyway, that is what I meant by "narrow-mineded": He defeated himself by comparing a 2.0 liter engine to a 5.7 liter engine which only outpaces the smaller motor by about .2 sec in the quarter (that was his main argument: that Japanese cars were slow in the quarter mile...)

So, like RyRy said, the NSX is made really to appeal to a Japanese demographic, not really Americans. But there are some intelligent folks out there that can recognize a good thing when they see it, be it American, Japanese, Italian, or God forbid... Brittish... :D

Back