• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX Sales figures > 1st of March

The analogy he was trying to make was that McLaren relies on the sports cars sells solely. Honda does not. The comparison is not the same. They don't need the NSX to sell very well. McLaren doesn't produce other bread and butter cars so they need their sports cars to sell very well.

nah, sorry but i'm not buying that. :tongue:

he was specifically talking about the 570S in comparison to NSX sales and sales prices. so my question, as relating directly to his question was, "has McLaren sold more than 365 new 570S' in America during the car's first 10 months"?

then we will know how the two specific models compare to each other in new car demand...

I got a chance to look over a 570S up close in a parkade recently before diner...very tidy car like our older cars..but both front fender liners had become detached from the body work....kinda weak for a car in this price point.....

haha no just what you read on prime...and heard about on line from some magazine critics...I saw this with my own eyes....

Anything is better than that horrendous 9 speed that we've got now. The 7DCT will be much better than that thing. Hopefully the 2018MY brings in the new 10 speed that the Odyssey just got for the regular MDX.

The 5-6mpg improvement is more than a bonus. That's something that pays for itself in actually a pretty short amount of time. Huge mileage increase, more power, better handling...all for $1500 more? We'll sell every one of them they make.

i saw an engineer on the 10speed transmission project and he told me to wait at least a year before jumping into a new odyssey. But 5+ mpg is significant

nah, sorry but i'm not buying that. :tongue:

he was specifically talking about the 570S in comparison to NSX sales and sales prices. so my question, as relating directly to his question was, "has McLaren sold more than 365 new 570S' in America during the car's first 10 months"?

then we will know how the two specific models compare to each other in new car demand...

To be honest, I have no idea how many 570s have been sold so far. And I don't care. I believe Acura is sitting somewhere around 150 NSXs sold year to date. But even if we've only sold 15, it's fine. It would have been great for us if it was a huge sales success, but now that we know that it isn't, it's fine. Like I said, the car needs to exist to help the rest of the brand.

"halo car" refers to a car that influences the public's opinion of the brand. The NA1 did that--it showed off Honda's design and production expertise. By "design expertise" I mean not just technical know-how but the ability to translate it into a car desirable enough that people were paying a premium when it was new.

If the plan this time was to refine tech that would end up in the MDX and other models, putting the new NSX into production was an expensive way to do that. It makes business sense to the extent that the NSX also lends renown to the brand (the halo effect). I think it's fair to say that so far it hasn't been quite the halo car that Acura hoped for. (We have reports of corporate having told dealers they expected it to sell for above MSRP.) It is a creditable piece of work but it isn't the standout that the NA1 was in its day, partly because the competition is stiffer now.

"halo car" refers to a car that influences the public's opinion of the brand. The NA1 did that--it showed off Honda's design and production expertise. By "design expertise" I mean not just technical know-how but the ability to translate it into a car desirable enough that people were paying a premium when it was new.

If the plan this time was to refine tech that would end up in the MDX and other models, putting the new NSX into production was an expensive way to do that. It makes business sense to the extent that the NSX also lends renown to the brand (the halo effect). I think it's fair to say that so far it hasn't been quite the halo car that Acura hoped for. (We have reports of corporate having told dealers they expected it to sell for above MSRP.) It is a creditable piece of work but it isn't the standout that the NA1 was in its day, partly because the competition is stiffer now.

Did it really tho? I'd argue the new NSX is more famous than the first NSX, but I could be mistaken. With the internet these days, people seem to be more informed tho and I reckon they will recognize the new one much more often than the old one.

A halo car does not mean it is the most recognizable...as stated above it is the car to which buyers of less expensive cars for the brand aspire to...and from which technology trickles down.

A halo car does not mean it is the most recognizable...as stated above it is the car to which buyers of less expensive cars for the brand aspire to...and from which technology trickles down.

Exactly. The Corvette is not a money maker for GM. But it creates GM fans and brings in buyers who might aspire to own one someday but drive home a Cruze, Campari, or whatever. Plus technological advancements that usually show up on a Corvette first wind up finding their way to other GM products eventually.

The Magnetic Ride shocks on the new NSX were originally developed for the Corvette 15 years ago.

Did it really tho? I'd argue the new NSX is more famous than the first NSX, but I could be mistaken. With the internet these days, people seem to be more informed tho and I reckon they will recognize the new one much more often than the old one.
By "standout" I had in mind how it compared to its competition. The NA1 offered reliability/longevity, it had superior suspension and body construction, it had VTEC, and it got very favorable reviews on what it was like to drive.

Currently, Honda's airplane is a standout (in the sense of how competitive it is, not how much the general public knows about it). It's fast and it gets reviews saying things like "Fit and finish of this aircraft are unsurpassed in its class." Honda has 100 orders for planes already.

Going off topic a bit, but I thought the original is and still is beautiful. This new one is just kinda meh to me. Don't get me wrong it isn't R35 ugly, but it just doesn't really look very NSXish IMO. Just me, but I wish they would have used styling cues from the HSC instead.

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

there is no way this new NSX is comparable to the impact and legacy of the first NSX...

Exactly. The Corvette is not a money maker for GM. But it creates GM fans and brings in buyers who might aspire to own one someday but drive home a Cruze, Campari, or whatever. Plus technological advancements that usually show up on a Corvette first wind up finding their way to other GM products eventually.

The Magnetic Ride shocks on the new NSX were originally developed for the Corvette 15 years ago.

And those shocks were used first on a Honda/Acura product back in 2007 on the top end MDX :D.
So maybe the MDX has been the real leading edge platform for Honda/Acura and technology trickles down from there :p

https://www.hondarandd.jp/point.php?pid=251&lang=jp

...So maybe the MDX has been the real leading edge platform for Honda/Acura and technology trickles down from there :p...

Funny, there may be more truth to your jest when you think about it. A report from the Production Delivery thread says we can expect the MDX's Pentagon grill (the only car in their lineup with it) to find its way onto the fascia of an NSX refresh.

Whether intentional or not...sounds like some trickle down to me. May be that the real halo vehicle that supports all of this is an SUV :tongue:
pentagon_grill_1.jpg

It's not the MDX that is the fountainhead, it's the Odyssey. I have it on good authority that MY18 NSX will have "Magic Slide" seats and a HondaVac system.

Superman grill is worse than the squid beak.

That is very interesting. I'd say 99% of dealers will not allow a test drive on a NSX in stock. Maybe if the dealer principal was in and allowed a customer to drive his personal NSX. Otherwise there really hasn't been that many opportunities for a customer to drive one...which I will totally agree is a major detriment to selling the car. They just started touring the country with about half a dozen cars doing test drive events in big markets. There was a event in Monterey last year where a handful of people got to drive the car. Other than that, it's just been the press. And most members of the media don't actually make enough money to afford the car if they actually wanted to buy it.

My local dealer let me take a nice test ride and was willing to sell for under msrp. I was impressed with the car in all regards. Honda definetly achieved what they set out to accomplish, that being a super car that can be used as a DD. Unfortunately I think there is a very limited market at their current price point. I think if they had dropped all the electric motors and could have brought the car in around 115,000 it would achieve greater sales success. It really is a fantastic car!

Back