• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX snobbery?

Originally posted by tabasco:
I also drive a '93 Corola as my "client" car. I never let a client think I have lots of money, it only creates jealousy and possible loss of business.

I really admire wealthy individuals who do not flaunt. I myself head one of the largest brokerage houses in the United States, but also drive a Toyota Corolla everyday to work. However, I have friends who are partners at Skadden and another who owns his own independent law firm, and they always lease the top of the line Benz. They do this because they can easily swap to a newer model when it becomes available. For a Lawyer, pulling up in a nice car gives the client that extra level of confidence. I don't think its true for all professions like what tabasco indicated, but in the case of providing legal services my friends feels that its a necessity.

Originally posted by RyRy210:
I really admire wealthy individuals who do not flaunt.

It has usually been my experience that the truly wealthy have no need to flaunt it. The only people I know who flaunt material possessions are poseurs of the highest order and just happen to be the shallowest people you could imagine - but we're way off topic now.
wink.gif

------------------
Andrew Henderson
The NSX Model List Page

"We have long acknowledged that enthusiasm for things automotive is a sure
sign of emotional instability if not outright dementia"
- Brock Yates

Why is it flaunting your wealth to own a nice car? To be honest, I don't see what the point of making money is if you have to hide it.

I can see the point about a contractor or salesman not driving their best car to a client, but to be honest, I think it's pathetic that it has to be that way.

I've been on both sides of that fence and I've *never* thought that a contractor driving a nice car was trying to "show me up". I *love* the chance to see another nice car!

People are way too judgemental about everything. I don't think there's anything particularly noble about going out of your way to *hide* what you have, but if that floats your boat, then go nuts...

By the same token, I don't read anything into a guy driving a Benz other than "he likes Mercedes and can afford one".

Isn't going out of your way to deliberately drive a cheap car just to prove a point just as bizarre as driving a Benz *solely* to show how much cash you have?

To me, these two behavior patterns are more alike than different.

[This message has been edited by spookyp (edited 24 April 2002).]

Perfectly worded spookyp!! I agree whole-heartedly. I also believe that people want to buy or do business with people who look successful. No offense to anyone but if someone showed up at my house to tell me about finances or sell me insurance or stock or a business opportunity and was driving a Corolla, I probably wouldn't even answer the door. This person, in my mind, is apparently NOT very good at creating his own successes and certainly will not be telling me how to manage my finances. It's kind of ironic actually (even sit-com funny) to see a stock broker driving a corolla telling a guy driving an NSX where to invest his money! Yeah right, I'm not listening.

I want a guy in a Lambo Murcielago pulling up to my house telling me what to do with my money. That guy will get my attention.

[This message has been edited by Nsxotic (edited 24 April 2002).]

yes, i would agree there are some professions where 'appearing' financially successful isnt a bad thing. In the finance industry i dont think any of my clients would feel 'better' if i drove an economical car or 'worse' if i drove a luxo-badge. and truthfully, those that would and couldnt get past it...well, screw em if they are that superficial. they'd probably make for bad clients anyway.

hey, always had good experiences getting test drives. ps. why wouldnt you confront the salesman if you were getting sandbagged? ie. "hey, lets save us both some time. i have money, i am serious, im buying from someone, so---are you here to f*** around or are you a car salesman? start selling. chop-chop.

Originally posted by spookyp:
Why is it flaunting your wealth to own a nice car? To be honest, I don't see what the point of making money is if you have to hide it.

Oh heck, we're really way off topic now but owning a nice car is not what I meant about flaunting wealth.
Regarding the "pathetic" part - it may well be - but it is also reality and I live in the real world.
Last year I got sick of the usual rental car crap and treated myself (at the client's expense of course) to a top line Cadillac. By coincidence, my associate had ended up with another Caddy. Caused a few comments when our lead contact at the client compared them with his old Civic! Luckily he wasn't involved with approving our expense accounts!
smile.gif

------------------
Andrew Henderson
The NSX Model List Page

- Brock Yates

Originally posted by lemansnsx:
Last year I got sick of the usual rental car crap and treated myself (at the client's expense of course) to a top line Cadillac.

LOL! Now *that* I wouldn't do. I drive my car to clients because, hey, it's my car and I'm not buying yet another car to make them feel better.

On their dime, though, I'll drive the cheapest crap that Budget can hand over!
smile.gif

When I bought my NSX I brought my wife with me to look at the car. My wife said very plainly to me, in front of the salesman, that if I "liked the car then buy it."
They offered a test ride but I wasn't that impressed and said "no thanks." I didn't want a test drive and declared "I've driven lots of cars before" and wanted to leave. Next thing I know they're getting the keys,
opening the show room doors and moving the cars on display outside in front of the show room. I shook my head and said "no" but changed my mind when they started the car and I heard that sound.
I had a similar experience with a Vette in the Chevy showroom.
My wife likes the car, says get it.
I pass on the test drive offer and they open the doors and start moving cars.(The Vette they had to jump start.) I still passed on that ride however.
I think it was the wife saying "Buy" that did the trick and not my flannel shirt and jeans.

[This message has been edited by pbassjo (edited 24 April 2002).]

Two good spiritual principals for me to remember are:
Don't compare myself to others; and
Respect others right to free will.

Now Storytime:

2 years ago before I had my NSX, my Dad came to visit from NYC. He is a fan of nice cars too, so I took him to Newport Autosport on PCH , which is like a mueseum of new bitchin cars more than a dealership . . I guess MOST people that visit can't buy one if they want . .

So we pull up in my 67 442 convertible . . dressed in jeans\golf shirts etc. The salespeople ignore us, then I ask one "are you getting the new 360 in soon?" to which he replies "Oh, is THAT the one YOU want?"

On the way out my Dad says to me . ."What an asshole .. I can write a check for any 3 cars in there right now"

------Scene 2-------
A year later I pull up in my black -n- tan 97 NSX with a 100 lb stripper with DD tits, with cutoff shirt showing my tatoos like a rockstar and the manager walks over and opens the door and says "how may I be of assistance today?"

So they DO judge a book by its cover TOTALLY@@@@!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Nsxotic:
Perfectly worded spookyp!! I agree whole-heartedly. I also believe that people want to buy or do business with people who look successful. No offense to anyone but if someone showed up at my house to tell me about finances or sell me insurance or stock or a business opportunity and was driving a Corolla, I probably wouldn't even answer the door. This person, in my mind, is apparently NOT very good at creating his own successes and certainly will not be telling me how to manage my finances. It's kind of ironic actually (even sit-com funny) to see a stock broker driving a corolla telling a guy driving an NSX where to invest his money! Yeah right, I'm not listening.

I want a guy in a Lambo Murcielago pulling up to my house telling me what to do with my money. That guy will get my attention.

[This message has been edited by Nsxotic (edited 24 April 2002).]

I have to say in this situation I would be thinking that my money will be going in his pocket. Read Mcbeth(ruthless ambition),Greed and jealously destroyed the Roman empire that stood for 1000 years. I was jaded at a young age on this topic. In the summer between high school and college I delivered pizzas for extra money. I was one of the top drivers as far as tips received. One night I drove my new RX-7 instead of the Datsun
B-210. I had to deliver a pizza to one of the upscale neighborhoods in the area. These houses were good for 5 dollar tips all most always. The gentleman who answered the door actually said to me "anyone who drives a car like that doesn't need a tip". This is coming from a guy who lives in a 750k home and drove a 500s. That was an epiphany for me. Presentation says a lot, perception can be controlled by the flow of information. I do not like to be perceived as someone with money because I feel that I will be acquainted in mind with the non tipping pizza customer, and that is not who I am.

Originally posted by Black&Tan97Tnewportbeach:
Two good spiritual principals for me to remember are:
Don't compare myself to others; and
Respect others right to free will.

Now Storytime:

2 years ago before I had my NSX, my Dad came to visit from NYC. He is a fan of nice cars too, so I took him to Newport Autosport on PCH , which is like a mueseum of new bitchin cars more than a dealership . . I guess MOST people that visit can't buy one if they want . .

So we pull up in my 67 442 convertible . . dressed in jeans\golf shirts etc. The salespeople ignore us, then I ask one "are you getting the new 360 in soon?" to which he replies "Oh, is THAT the one YOU want?"

On the way out my Dad says to me . ."What an asshole .. I can write a check for any 3 cars in there right now"

------Scene 2-------
A year later I pull up in my black -n- tan 97 NSX with a 100 lb stripper with DD tits, with cutoff shirt showing my tatoos like a rockstar and the manager walks over and opens the door and says "how may I be of assistance today?"

So they DO judge a book by its cover TOTALLY@@@@!!!!!!!!!!

You should have pointed to the stripper and asked the salesman "Oh, is THAT the one YOU want?" Assuming it was the same salesman.

Originally posted by steveny:
I have to say in this situation I would be thinking that my money will be going in his pocket. Read Mcbeth(ruthless ambition),Greed and jealously destroyed the Roman empire that stood for 1000 years. I was jaded at a young age on this topic. In the summer between high school and college I delivered pizzas for extra money. I was one of the top drivers as far as tips received. One night I drove my new RX-7 instead of the Datsun
B-210. I had to deliver a pizza to one of the upscale neighborhoods in the area. These houses were good for 5 dollar tips all most always. The gentleman who answered the door actually said to me "anyone who drives a car like that doesn't need a tip". This is coming from a guy who lives in a 750k home and drove a 500s. That was an epiphany for me. Presentation says a lot, perception can be controlled by the flow of information. I do not like to be perceived as someone with money because I feel that I will be acquainted in mind with the non tipping pizza customer, and that is not who I am.

I agree. If you are doing a job that is based on tips, then you NEED the 'pity' close. Drive the Corolla. If you are doing a job that relies on you earning someone's respect, business and money, drive the nicest machine you can find.

Originally posted by Nsxotic:
I agree. If you are doing a job that is based on tips, then you NEED the 'pity' close. Drive the Corolla. If you are doing a job that relies on you earning someone's respect, business and money, drive the nicest machine you can find.

My work should be enough to earn the respect and business of any client. If my work is not up to par than it will not matter what car I drive.

Originally posted by steveny:
My work should be enough to earn the respect and business of any client. If my work is not up to par than it will not matter what car I drive.

There's also something called "first impression"... And if I have no understanding of 2 women but are force to choose (or have the "power" to choose) I would and probably everyone would choose the better looking one...

Originally posted by Zuerst:
There's also something called "first impression"... And if I have no understanding of 2 women but are force to choose (or have the "power" to choose) I would and probably everyone would choose the better looking one...

Wow this is getting interesting. The better looking one is the one who is most likely to give you nothing but trouble, headaches and heartaches. Choose the one who you know is going to try and please you. Not the one that you will have to please.

This applies to long term. If it is a one night thing I too would choose the better looking one. But we were talking about work in the first place and that for me was always long term.

[This message has been edited by steveny (edited 25 April 2002).]

Wow, I am thouroughly enjoying this discussion. Keep it going strong! I am too tired to add anything meaningful, but am sure keeping myself entertained by reading.

I'm sure it depends on what line of business you're in.

I knew one NSX owner (since deceased) who was a dentist, and never drove his NSX to the office, lest his patients might jump to the conclusion that his fees were too high.

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
I'm sure it depends on what line of business you're in.

I knew one NSX owner (since deceased) who was a dentist, and never drove his NSX to the office, lest his patients might jump to the conclusion that his fees were too high.

I met up with my dentist by accident in the middle of the local lake. Upon looking at my boat and then looking back at his, he commented that he was not charging me enough.

Originally posted by mandrewz:
My .02. One of my favorite NSX sales was to an older gentelman who pulled up in a nice, but older, Buick and was treating himself to a retirement present after working as a lineman for PG&E after 35 years of service. He had to buy a car cover as well as he had to park it on the steet-his Mom got the covered spot at home. A 10 year old once came in asking for a NSX brochure-I figured it was for his bedroom wall(which it indeed ended up being)although he did drag his dad in by his hand the next day to buy the car. One of my clients has seven cars at home that total in value to over $2,000,000. His favorite driver is the NSX, at times it has been the only one that will start. A dealer has little idea whom we are dealing with when a request is made for a test drive. We ourselves got to spend very little behind the wheel time in the NSX when it first came out, as the incoming cars were usually spoken for before they arrived, and being very limited in supply, 'demo's' don't tend to exist. It can be difficult at times when the car you need to drive is also the one you will need to sell. Most potential buyers are very apprehensive of a car that has 'test drive' miles-as I would be too, I've been on some of 'those' test drives. I have a 250 pound associate that was carjacked buy a pregnant woman. And young men whom have no idea how to operate a clutch, but still want to test drive a type 's' RSX. Not all cars salespeople are slime, and not all buyers are upfront about their intentions or abilities. The best driver I have ever encountered was a petite 56 year old accountant, who loved to autocross on her weekends.

[This message has been edited by mandrewz (edited 25 April 2002).]

Very well said! I agree that you have to look at the issue from both sides. Personally I have never had problems test driving any car that I was interested in purchasing. I have a brother in law that tells me some of the stories of people coming in asking for a test drive with a radar detector in hand!

As far as driving a "beater" to clients offices instead of your nicer car, I believe this to be a lack of self confidence. Drive what makes you happy and let your product or service get the sale.

My first large contract was for a guy that was a self made Millionaire, after finishing the software (and getting paid!) I went out a bought a stainless steel Rolex. When this customer saw the watch he said, I like to see that you have expensive taste it will cause you to work harder.

I guess the moral of the story is people may judge you favorably or negatively based on material goods, but you really should just do what makes you happy. I still have the Rolex 14 years later and it still runs great!

Originally posted by Carguy!:
As far as driving a "beater" to clients offices instead of your nicer car, I believe this to be a lack of self confidence. Drive what makes you happy and let your product or service get the sale.

I don't think anyone said anything about a beater. I think that the point was driving a car that doesn't invite comment or criticism. Differences apply depending upon the business you are in - there is a story in one of the wealth books where the best investment a guy ever made was a large diamond pinky ring - he said that people perceived him as successful when he wore the ring. Another story tells of a guy buying a very expensive briefcase that never carried anything more than a newspaper and his lunch but gave him credibility. "The Millionaire Next Door" talks of a business owner who drove a Ford to work because he felt that having his employees know how much he was really making would cause problems. Yes, it is important to be perceived as successful but you have to be discreet: When I was first out of college I worked in a company run by a group of seven or so partners. I was single, living back with the folks, and had money to burn. One of the partners came over to me one day, grabbed my wrist and examined my Rolex, commenting upon it. He then opened my suit jacket and peeked at the label, again commenting. He then called out to the main partner, saying loudly "Hey, we're paying this kid way too much money"!

------------------
Andrew Henderson
The NSX Model List Page

- Brock Yates

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
...I knew one NSX owner (since deceased) who was a dentist, and never drove his NSX to the office, lest his patients might jump to the conclusion that his fees were too high.

That's actualy a shame. I drive my NSX to my office every day, and my parking spot is right in front of the door to my building. Everyday a aptient of mine sees me getting in/out of my car. Their first comment is "what kind of car is that" and "it sure is beautiful." On the otherhand, I'd never drive my beater 1990 POS Miata to my office now that my patients have seen my NSX.

My patients know that I work hard for them and they are astonished that I drive an 8 year old car!

Unfortunatly, in our society, quality and sucess is measured by the cars we drive and the watches we wear.

I always show up at potential client's homes in my '95 Chevy 4x4, which still looks relatively new. They don't need to know how I spend my money. Same thing with dating new women. If we make it past the 2nd or 3rd date, then maybe they get to go out in the car. That way I know they are interested in me, not in the money they think I have.

Originally posted by Carguy!:

My "beater" has driven me to hundreds of meetings resulting in millions in revenue. I'll stick with my philosophy. I give my choice to drive it partial credit for my success. I agree that I would want to see someone I hire to handle my legal or financial needs appear successful, but the roofing or refrigeration contractor showing wealth bothers me.

Most people perceive a software engineer as a nerd and do not picture him/her in a Jag or big Benz, especially GS15s in the Federal Government, or the COO of an Airline.

That's my two cents, based on many many years of experience; experience that has to change and adjust in order to succeed. I have never invited a client to my home for that reason. Now, when it comes to friends and family, I drive the NSX, wear my Rolex and have big cookouts at my home. That's great and good enough for me.

------------------

Originally posted by tabasco:
My "beater" has driven me to hundreds of meetings resulting in millions in revenue. I'll stick with my philosophy. I give my choice to drive it partial credit for my success. I agree that I would want to see someone I hire to handle my legal or financial needs appear successful, but the roofing or refrigeration contractor showing wealth bothers me.

Have you ever put a roof on a house on a 90 degree day? Why do you think that roofing should pay less than some other type of work? Just because one does not need a degree to do so does not mean the work should pay less. Especially when you factor in the danger and extreme temperatures. I feel it is more difficult to start and maintain a successful business than to go to college and work for a company. Unless someone has already operated their own business they will never know how difficult running a business can be. When making connections during refrigeration repair the repairman has to heat the joint so hot that it releases a mild form of phosgene gas. What is it worth to breath that in for a few decades, and possible end up a disease from it? Life is what I place a value on. If someone is willing to risk it or cut it short they should be compensated greatly for this.

Back