• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX snobbery?

Lud,
ok if you move the thread to off-topic split it in two (or more parts)... we do not want to break the "SCOTTSDALE forum" total length record!
wink.gif

Wow I go away for a day or two and look what happens! Guess I need to stop by more often.

I would put myself in the category of contractor/consultant/whore/slave laborer... whatever. After more that 6 years of success I have never put this much thought into what I drive to work, maybe I should, thus my interest in this discussion.

I wake up and just pick the car I want to drive. Obviously I do not take the NSX to dirt roads/malls. Sometimes I do take the NSX if I am working with a fellow car enthusiast so I can share. Never much occurred to me that anyone equated what I drive with the rates I charge.

I'm a bit naive but Ken's point about supply and demand is what I assume governs my rate. My ability to continue to get work is based on doing the best job I can and treating clients fairly, basically making an honest living. From the other perspective I don't really associate the car someone drives to there lively hood or market value of services.

Interesting but long discussion. Guess some people spend more time thinking about perception than I do. thanks for insite guys, even if it is a bit off topic its good reading.

hg

Originally posted by steveny:
Originally posted by Zuerst:
Sure past experinces aid in decision making, you can generalize and stereotype people, but it is also true that everyone human being is different. One's experiment with others have to do in part, and in fact, big part with who you are and how you precieve the relationship.

And maybe I'm stupid, but I don't really understand your analogy and what you're using it to protray. However I do know that you can do what you do with that old rusted truck because it is of little value to you, but the NSX is worth a great deal. Most if not all cars are depreciting properties, human relatoinships on the other hand, are generally the direct opposite. Are you saying that better looking and/or rich women are worth more then less attractive and/or poor women, and that they are inferior?
I do not think you are stupid at all. I enjoy having these types of discussions, I sometimes find out things about myself that I never knew. However this is not the case here today. I think that you took my analogy to the extreme. Yes it was a comparison between the vehicles and women. It was not meant to classify women by any means. It also was not meant to portray me as someone who can not have a meaningful relationship. Here is what I was trying to convey. I would rather spend my time on things that interest me and not chasing beautiful women around. I do not want to spend my time stroking a relationship just to have a beautiful woman to look at. I can state as fact that one will need to spend a lot more time WORKING on a relationship with a beautiful women. I would rather think of a relationship as fun and not work. The current relationship I am in is FUN.

I can leave a less desirable car on the street without worrying that someone will try and take her away. If someone wants your beautiful car and you are not paying attention to it, you just might lose it.

This is just a time saver for me. It allows me to do the things that I want to do and avoid the things I don't. Its like Einstein and his many sets of the same suit. It just saves time. Life is short.

Sorry if it came across like I was trying to offend you and your character, I have no such intention. I just don't think beauty is always connected to trouble. But I'm still young and open to opinion from the experinced, I might just need MORE experince.

Hey Drift,

the reaction your mom is getting from these dealerships is really absurd. I think it says something about the relationship these Lexus dealerships have with their customers. The NSX is made for all sorts of people, it doesnt have an age requirement.

My recommendation: come out to Dallas and visit Goodson Acura in Irving. These guys are grrreat! all Dallas nsxers have a really great relationship with everyone here. Look up Susan Tableman at service. she'll get you guys in an NSX to testdrive in a jiffy! you can reach her at 972 554 0505.

come out to Texas and get an nsx texan style!
wink.gif

Moazzam

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
Hey, Moazzam's joined us here! Cool!
cool.gif

Oh great, another trouble-maker from the infamous nsx-friends list
biggrin.gif

Hey Moazzam - welcome!
eek.gif

------------------
Andrew Henderson
The NSX Model List Page

"We have long acknowledged that enthusiasm for things automotive is a sure
sign of emotional instability if not outright dementia"
- Brock Yates

Originally posted by Nsxotic:
Sorry to be so exact and personal but this is really scaring me.
Don't sweat it Todd... not everyone was born to be financially responsible
smile.gif

Enjoy life if you can... if you need cash I'll give you:
- $200 for the big-screen TV
- $30K for the NSX
biggrin.gif

Speaking of Off-Topic... anyone a fan of SCOTTSDALE ??
rolleyes.gif

This thread has a shot at the record IMO.

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
If you're looking for driving impressions, there's one member here who bought one...
Not really, but those would be interesting too.

I wanted to correlate this "dealer snobbery" observation with the availability of test drives on new 2002 NSXs (or lack thereof).

Anyone
smile.gif

Originally posted by Lud:
Here is a simple formula from that book based on statistical data that lets anyone see how they are doing financially, assuming you make a decent salary but are neither "filthy rich" nor "dirt poor", and assuming no radical changes in income in the last few years: Age / 10 * annual income

If your net worth is about equal to that number, you are doing OK. If you are at twice that number or more, you are doing very well. If your net worth is much less than that number, you are spending too much. These are not personal judgements, just a measure of how well you are building your net worth.
I agree with the general formula as it generally measures an approx SAVINGS rate, which is consistent with prudent spending (value-holding/earning assets vs. simple expenditures).

I DO think it should reflect "years in employment" as opposed to "years of age". Particularly for those working for less than, say, 5 years. Savings and net worth are only viable concepts whilst employed, no ?

years at work * 0.15 * annual pay => assumes a savings rate of 15, which is not too bad

where's Major Bob when you need him ??
biggrin.gif

Back