• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX snobbery?

There are certain times a nice / flashy car is great and times it is not appropriate.

I would never, ever do business with someone trying to sell me investment advice or push an investment idea for someone else if they drove up in a $200k+ car because that job does not pay enough to PROPERLY afford that type of vehicle. There is a big difference between being able to make payments and being able to own something without selling out your future. If they can in my opinion properly afford a $200k car, they would not be working trying to sell me investment advice. That means their personal life is not in line with the type of financial advice I want, so I would not do business with them.

I would, however, consider investing in a project WITH someone who drove very expensive cars.

I don't care what someone selling insurance or stocks drives. I don't look to them for advice, I look to them for a service which is a commodity. I can make my own decisions about stocks and insurance, possibly with guidance from my accountant and attorney.

I don't care what my doctor, dentist, or a contractor drives. I know their rates and I can judge their work. If their work justifies their rates, they can drive a space ship for all I care. Some people feel differently but that is how I feel. However, if I were in a business where people's perception my car (or watch or whatever) might make a difference in my financial situation, I would certainly give some consideration to what I drove to a business meeting. If others choose not to, it is their choice to make!

Some professions ARE expected to show status symbols. Attorneys are a good example. I think many attorneys could honestly say they need to drive a nice expensive car or they might scare clients away. Is that right? Probably not, but it is life.

What do I consider being able to "properly" afford something? Andrew mentioned the Millionare Next Door. That is an interesting book. I feel some of the conclusions or implications are off base, but the math and survey statistics are probably the best available research on affluent people in this country.

Here is a simple formula from that book based on statistical data that lets anyone see how they are doing financially, assuming you make a decent salary but are neither "filthy rich" nor "dirt poor", and assuming no radical changes in income in the last few years: Age / 10 * annual income

If your net worth is about equal to that number, you are doing OK. If you are at twice that number or more, you are doing very well. If your net worth is much less than that number, you are spending too much. These are not personal judgements, just a measure of how well you are building your net worth.

Tied into that, I do not see the comment Carguy! made as quite the compliment he does.

"My first large contract was for a guy that was a self made Millionaire, after finishing the software (and getting paid!) I went out a bought a stainless steel Rolex. When this customer saw the watch he said, I like to see that you have expensive taste it will cause you to work harder."

To me the guy is saying "You do good work and I see you are spending heavily on luxury items; I am glad, because that means you will probably continue to be available for me to hire instead of becoming financially independant."

It's just like real estate investors who love good tenants, or banks who love good loan customers, or companies who love top performing salesmen. Who wouldn't love someone you can reliably make money off of?

[This message has been edited by Lud (edited 25 April 2002).]

Why shouldn't a contractor be able to have/show wealth? I'm educated, well-mannered, clean-cut, honest, hard-working, etc,etc.........And I rank as one of the best in my trade. I've never had to advertise, and, because of who I am, I have more work than I know what to do with, turning down more than I take on. I rarely, if ever, have to chase money from people who drive the '93 Corrollas, but I am constantly chasing money from the doctors and lawyers and people who are driving the expensive cars. What does that tell you?

I agree with steveny.

As a consultant, I will always have to deal with animosity at the client's site. It doesn't matter what I drive. There will be always be a certain handful of people who don't like contractors. From my experience, the ones that are jealous are usually the substandard workers and have big time self-esteem problems. If I drive my NSX to work and that 'rubs it in' so be it. The client that I report directly to has the power to renew my contract. They know that I can get the job done right so they don't care what car I show up with. That's why I have had the same client for 6 years.

As far as snobbery, I remember after I graduated from college I went to a Mercedes dealership to look at a used GMC Typhoon. It was in the winter, so there were no salesmen outside. I went inside and two new car salesmen were standing together. I asked "Can I speak to a used car salesman?" And one of them replied "What do you do for a living?" I turned around and walked out.

Funny, that same week I went to a Lexus dealership to look at a Corvette. The saleman handed me the keys and let me test drive it by myself and said "Take as long as you want." THAT was a saleman!

Originally posted by Lud:

Tied into that, I do not see the comment Carguy! made as quite the compliment he does.

To me the guy is saying "You do good work and I see you are spending heavily on luxury items; I am glad, because that means you will probably continue to be available for me to hire instead of becoming financially independant."

It's just like real estate investors who love good tenants, or banks who love good loan customers, or companies who love top performing salesmen. Who wouldn't love someone you can reliably make money off of?

Lud,
I think you misinterpeted my message from my post, I was simply trying to state that to some people having a nice car or watch is a positive and to others it is a negative. I believe you need to do what makes you happy. This client provided a substantial amount of work for quite a while and also generated referals. I continued to do work for him even after I relocated.

So I guess it doesn't matter what was going on in his mind when he saw the watch, he continued to pay me a fair rate for the service I provided. The bottom line is he would of continued our business relationship anyway, because I am good at what I do and I made him a lot of money.

Originally posted by Carguy!:
The bottom line is he would of continued our business relationship anyway, because I am good at what I do and I made him a lot of money.

I agree completely. Certainly it was a compliment from the standpoint that he liked your work and wanted to keep employing you to make more money for himself.

My only point is that the other side of the coin is that he was happy to see an indication that you are likely to stay in the position of having to work for him, and I'm not sure I would personally consider that aspect of his remark a compliment. I am not criticizing you - as you said people should do what makes them happy, that is all that really matters in life, and I would not and could not judge you from one situation like that anyway - I was just making an obsevation of what I believe to be the dual nature of his comment.

Some people enjoy spending heavily relative to their income / net worth. They often lock themselves into having to earn more and more to spend more and more, but if it makes them happy, that is fine. It's good for the economy, too! Others are happier spending less and saving / investing more and being in a position where they can retire decades earlier than most without having to reduce their standard of living. Again these are generalities and do not apply to anyone in particular. I am also not trying to tell anyone what to do, just making some observations from my point of view. I strongly suspect we have a variety of folks from those who live paycheck to paycheck up to decamillionaires and everyone in between here. But I don't know exactly what anyone here makes or is worth, nor am I particulcarly interested. We are not here for that, we are here for our shared enthusiasm for the car.

Originally posted by Zuerst:
And if I have no understanding of 2 women but are force to choose (or have the "power" to choose) I would and probably everyone would choose the better looking one...

Being a true male pig who loves all women I'd figure out how to have them both!

Must be an age thing with I guess. Like the story of the old bull and young bull.

[This message has been edited by hejo (edited 25 April 2002).]

You need to muliply that number by your annual income.

Example: 40 years old with $100k annual income

(40/10) * 100,000 = $400,000 net worth is doing OK

$800k is going very well

$200k is a problem

This of course is relative to plans to be financially independant, not a personal judgement.

Originally posted by Nsxotic:
I didn't follow Lud's formula.... age divided by 10???? Are you saying that when I'm 100 yrs. old, that if I have 10k net worth, then I'm doing good?! Or at 40, I need to have 4k net worth. I must be missing something!

Yes, you missed factoring in your income!
rolleyes.gif

Edit: Lud's clock is off, I swear I submitted my response first!
biggrin.gif

PS: How am I doing if the number I get is less than my age?
eek.gif
confused.gif
eek.gif

------------------
Andrew Henderson
The NSX Model List Page

"We have long acknowledged that enthusiasm for things automotive is a sure
sign of emotional instability if not outright dementia"
- Brock Yates

[This message has been edited by lemansnsx (edited 25 April 2002).]

I think you have to multiply your ago/10 by your annual income.

40/10($20,000) for example

I guess whenever you are standing above the crowd, you are going to get 2 reactions. Some people are going to envy you for making it and others will criticize you for being wasteful, flashy... You'll never please everyone.

We just have to do what pleases us with "caution". If you worry about driving a nice car will affect your business, then driving a clean well maintained vehicle will definitely not draw any attention. It is a conservative approach that some people will like and some don't.

Holy Crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I should be at $429,000!!!!!!!!!! I have under 20k. Take out what I owe on the house and car and I am VERY negative! This can not be real! That's the stupidest formula I have ever heard....... If I were 429k liquid, I would frickin' retire and live on interest and investments. I'd like to slap the guy who wrote that book.
smile.gif

Holy Crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I should be at $429,000!!!!!!!!!! I have under 20k. Take out what I owe on the house and car and I am VERY negative! This can not be real! That's the stupidest formula I have ever heard....... If I were 429k liquid, I would frickin' retire and live on interest and investments. I'd like to slap the guy who wrote that book.
smile.gif

I believe LUD said "net worth" not "liquid assets". I'm sure your NSX by itself is worth more than $20k.

------------------
'91 Black/Black

[This message has been edited by Michigan NSX (edited 25 April 2002).]

smile.gif

I think you need to start selling some of your stuff. How much for that new Yellow car of yours??
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by DutchBlackNsx:
- annual income
- net worth

Annual income: Your realized pre-tax annual household income from all sources excluding inheritence. If your income is highly variable, average it for the last few years.

Net worth: All of your financial assets minus all of your financial liabilities. Assets include things like savings (cash on hand), IRAs, stocks, 401k, equity in cars, equity in private companies, equity in real estate, the bars of gold stacked up in your basement, etc. Liabilities include mortgages, loans (i.e. car loan), debts, etc. Although for the purposes of THIS formula, they say you should exclude equity in your primary residence when calculating net worth.

Michigan NSX is right - a positive net worth absolutely does not mean you have that much liquid. In fact the higher your net worth I would expect the less percentage of it is likely to be liquid.

[This message has been edited by Lud (edited 03 May 2002).]

I don't think this is very valid for people recently out of school. I've barely made age/10*(annual income) in my life. So I would have had to basically not eat, buy gas, etc. (or have done REALLY well on investments) inorder to make that.

OK, maybe I shouldn't have bought an NSX (my poor 89 accord is still running well), but this may be the only oppurtunity I ever get to own my dream car (you never know what tomorrow holds). So why not?

That formula has also to be scaled down in the number of years... instead of age it should be "years of work" of "years of work plus a constant" because a person that finished the university five years ago cannot have 3x his yearly income (30 years / 10 x income = 3x income).

Anyway I drive my nsx daily to work... my parking neighbour has a 360 Modena...
wink.gif
Nobody notice me anymore!

It is valid as a SNAPSHOP and a RULE OF THUMB for almost anyone.

If you just graduated from college this year and your income went from -$15k a year to +$35k a year in the last twelve months, or if you won a lump-sum lottery or something, sure it may not work for you, but no rule of thumb is an absolute.

However, I feel it is valid for someone more than a year or two out of college. There is an opportunity cost associated with college and it is very clearly reflected by this formula. For most recent college grads the formula shows that they need to save more at some point in the future to make up for the fact that they just spent several years earning very little (or in many cases actually accumulating debt from college loans).

If someone did not go to college and spent the same 4 or 5 years starting their own business or working and saving money, they are simply that far ahead of you.

The challenge is to utilize your degree to earn a higher income which will allow you to save even more. As you do that you should see the number improve every year. That is why it is just a snapshop, not a final judgement on where you will end up financially. If you do not like what it says, you can adjust your personal finances. If you don't care or don't agree, don't sweat it! I'm not trying to tell anyone what to do.

Originally posted by ilya:
After reading this thread, see
http://www.nsxprime.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/004458.html

for the definition of hypocrisy.

I don't see hypocrisy in that thread. Difference of opinion, yes. Hypocrisy, no.

According to Merriam-Webster Online, the definition of hypocrisy is "a feigning to be what one is not or to believe what one does not; especially : the false assumption of an appearance of virtue or religion".

Originally posted by steveny:
Wow this is getting interesting. The better looking one is the one who is most likely to give you nothing but trouble, headaches and heartaches. Choose the one who you know is going to try and please you. Not the one that you will have to please.

This applies to long term. If it is a one night thing I too would choose the better looking one. But we were talking about work in the first place and that for me was always long term.

[This message has been edited by steveny (edited 25 April 2002).]

Yea... And if I remeber correctly I say that assume one has NO UNDERSTANDING of the two woman, but I guess you missed it. And assuming a better looking woman would be more of a pain is just being stereotipical and discrminate. Again it's making a first impression that I'm talking about, not a commitment.

nsxstasy,
I still do not see the connection between the two threads
confused.gif

Lud,
"If you do not like what it says, you can adjust your personal finances. If you don't care or don't agree, don't sweat it! I'm not trying to tell anyone what to do."

No-no you misunderstood... I LIKE formulas but since I am an engineer I usually look for cases that set of rules... just for keeping my logical mind at work!
biggrin.gif

O.k.,

Thankx Lud.

Nice stuff,

But where does our 55% tax come into this formula ????
eek.gif
confused.gif

Back