• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSXPO 2013 Registration is now Open!

I signed up for the social and an on the fence for the track. Also how do I change my guests memorandum jacket size?

Jacket Size Change?? Not sure, but I will find out, let you know and get er done.

John Komar - Co-Chair NSXPO 2013

I live in Wilmington NC, about 2 hours away from Raleigh. I was all amped up about attending my first NSXPO until i realized the outrageous prices. Can someone please tell me why it costs so much to have a big car meet? I was under the impression it was a cars n coffee for NSX owners only. I have no desire to track my car in virginia, or spend the night in raleigh, I just wanted to jet up there for a day and head home that night. Is it not allowed for me to just drive up there and park next to fellow nsx owners and scope out some other sweet cars?

what exactly does everyone do that makes this such a pricey event?

I live in Wilmington NC, about 2 hours away from Raleigh. I was all amped up about attending my first NSXPO until i realized the outrageous prices. Can someone please tell me why it costs so much to have a big car meet? I was under the impression it was a cars n coffee for NSX owners only. I have no desire to track my car in virginia, or spend the night in raleigh, I just wanted to jet up there for a day and head home that night. Is it not allowed for me to just drive up there and park next to fellow nsx owners and scope out some other sweet cars?

The money is for all the planned events and a few large dinners. Much more than a cars n coffee event for sure :) people drive hundreds and in some cases well over 1,000 miles to attend an NSXPO. This year will be my first. The VIR first day is part of the planned events. There is a separate track event on the 2nd and 3rd day at VIR that is not part of the official NSXPO.

If i dont want to track my car, nor spend the night in raleigh, can i just register with NSXCA, and drive out and participate for a day? or is that a big no no or am i missing the point all together?

If i dont want to track my car, nor spend the night in raleigh, can i just register with NSXCA, and drive out and participate for a day? or is that a big no no or am i missing the point all together?

I'm not tracking my car. One of the official people will respond to your question soon. All I know is you have to be an NSXCA member and the registration fee is separate from the hotel stay. Bob or Don?!

Yes, with all due respect you are missing the point.

By way of reference, you can visit www.nsxpo2011.net to see generally what an NSXPO is all about.

An NSXPO is not a cars and coffee event where owners drive up and leave within a few hours. An NSXPO is an international gathering of owners who are NSXCA members and who pay rather nominal fees to attend the event. I use the word "nominal" because the event is underwritten by sponsors where historically we have raised tens of thousands of dollars to keep the cost down for our members (both for the social and track portions).

The entire event costs generally over $75,000 to run. I doubt you will ever hear about any cars and coffee event or other day gathering costing even four figures to put on.

We include some meals, mementos, museum admissions, karting activities, etc. in addition to paying for public space rentals, track rentals, insurance, printing, lanyards, etc, etc, etc. These costs total considerably more than what we charge our members (who, by way, continue to benefit from the same low annual dues of $40 that have not been raised in the 13 years I have been a member).

All activities are meant for dues paying and fees paying members who travel from around the country, Canada, Scandinavia and Japan to attend. Even Board members and local committee organizers pay the same full fees as everyone else despite the countless hours they volunteer to put together such a momunental task of an event. Quite simply, it is not possible to offer "a la carte" pricing just because someone is local to the event and just wants to come to hang around for a day. As a certain credit card company touts, "membership has its privileges". I live near the Mets and and Yankees but still have to buy a ticket if I want to see a game live.

If you want to come to "hang out", the track event is open at no charge to all NSXCA members to be a spectator. However, spectators are not permitted on the track itself and also may not eat the food we provide paid attendees. But that is an option where for the mere "price" of a signature on a legal waiver at the track any current NSXCA member can come hang out, check out the cars and talk with other owners.

We have had instances over the years where non-paying owners try to crash the event, essentially stealing services and food that others are paying to get. Also, we have non-registered nsx owners cause problems with the local police by drag racing near the host hotels and doing burnouts on public roads. The police come to US when that happens.

We have also had non-registered owners do burnouts on aviation museum property next to priceless aircraft for which WE ARE RESPONSIBLE for any damage while on site. Needless to say, if we are going to have to foot the bill for someone's stupidity, that person better be a member who paid to attend so we can at least try to get our insurance to cover the damages.

So I guess the simple answer is this is not a cars and coffee. This is much bigger, much more involved, much more detailed and much more fun - - - all with associated much higher costs that are underwritten by our beloved and loyal sponsors who expect that they are paying for the enjoyment of NSXCA members.

Last edited:
Ahh, well put!

Cars and Coffee, you've got to be kidding me. I regularly go to "cars and coffee" events, usually within an hour's drive. Gecko's driving down from Montreal, and a large number of us are driving down from the NY tri-state area. This is no "cars and coffee", if you enjoy the NSX as more than just "transportation", you'll enjoy the NSXPO. If you don't want to pay for staying in a hotel, and you live two hours away, it's not a short "commute" to participate in all that NSXPO has to offer. This one is almost in your backyard, if you can afford it, step up, you'll meet people, learn a lot about the car you own, and just maybe have a fantastic time. The dinners, trinkets, etc, are just the icing on the cake of what is NSXPO, it's the people and the cars, it's "an event", not a "car show".

Nsxpo

Luke, I am assuming you may be new to the NSX community, and further that you may also be relatively young. If not forgive me for the presumption.

I am co-chairing this year's event and have attended 2 NSXPO's. 2009 in Toronto and 2011 in PA/NJ. I can tell you that the experience will be one of the highlights of your NSX ownership. It is difficult to explain the total NSXPO experience. But I encourage you go to the NSXPO2013 website and view the itnerary. As mentioned by others previously, the agenda of events is packed with exciting items. All of these events take time to organize and cost money to stage. http://NSXPO2013.com As Co-Chair I can vouch for the countless hours that volunteers put into organizing an event of this magnitude as well as the expense. The $285 fee for participation is subsidized by the generosity of several NSX community sponsors (also listed on the website). This year's event will include two banquet dinners, one that will feature a keynote address by Ted Klaus, the Head of Global Development of the new NSX. If you look at the itinerary, you'll see countless other events that will provide technical information, exciting driving experiences and a tremendous opportunity to share your ownership with others as passionate about this iconic car as you are.

If you still think this is a poor investment, I am sure you can find several Cars n Coffee meets in the Wilmington area. But realize that you have a rare opportunity to attend this once a year event that is literally in your own backyard. Consider the value that one of our attendees who comes almost every year - shipping his car from Hawaii - driving across country and bringing his spouse (doubling the fee to attend) places on attendance to NSXPO? Do you think he would do this to attend a Cars n Coffee event? Another member flies from Norway with his wife every year.

Hope to see you at NSXPO 2013.

John Komar Co-Chair NSXPO 2013

If I might add to the excellent responses from Bob and John...

First. See how I referred to them as Bob and John? Do you know how I know Bob and John? I met them at NSXPO and through the NSX Club of America. I've met a lot of my best friends at NSXPO - some who live near me, and others who live across the country from me. At every NSXPO I've attended, I've enjoyed catching up with old friends I haven't seen in a while, AND meeting and making new friends. Now, yes, you can do that at a Cars and Coffee event... but will you hear the best NSX mechanics in the country speak and get a chance to pick their brain, and will you hear the chief designer of the new NSX speak? Not likely.

Some other facets of NSXPO also deserve elaboration. As John notes above, several banquet dinners are included in the event. We make every effort for these to consist of high-quality food, not (forgive the term) crappy "rubber chicken". And they're served in banquet halls because there will be somewhere around 200 people or so, all NSX owners and their spouses/companions.

And mementos are given to attendees. We're not talking about pens and mugs here. In the past these have included some really terrific items, everything from collapsible chairs, to picnic baskets, to soft-sided carry-on luggage, to polo shirts and other apparel, all customized with the logo of the event.

And, of course, almost all of the activities involve significant money to arrange. The rental of the racetrack and the insurance of that event for the club are the biggest single item in the event budget, other than perhaps the food.

The event is always headquartered at a nice hotel, which gives us an attractive group rate. But you're not required to stay at the headquarters hotel; if you prefer, you can stay with friends in the area, or at a less expensive hotel, or even drive back and forth if you like. That part is up to you.

As you can imagine if you think about it, all of these items require substantial expenditures. Quality food, quality mementos, and quality activities - it all adds up. We are fortunate to have generous sponsors who pay a significant portion of the event expenses, so the registration fees we pay represent a "discount" off the actual cost of holding the event.

NSXPO is a highlight of my personal calendar every year. Each event is different in its location and activities and attendees, yet it always means a huge amount of fun and camaraderie. It's the only place in North America where you can see 100 or so NSXs of every color, modification, etc, and where you can spend a long weekend (or more) with 100-200 NSX owners. After every event, there are first time attendees who say, "Wow! I thought I knew what it would be like, but I never imagined it would be this much fun!" and then vow to attend every year.

You are fortunate to have it so close to home, while many of us are driving or flying hundreds and even thousands of miles to attend. I hope you can understand what the event is all about, and even better, I hope you decide to join us and register for the event. If you do, please introduce yourself to me and we'll chat about your NSX, and about tires, and the weather, and anything else you like. Hope to see you there.

Ken that was a welcoming and informative post.

Luke,
I hope you can ignore any previous posts that may have had a bit of edge to them. The price comment has been made before. I get where it can be frustrating to some folks who know the amount of time and effort it is to put this together. As well as the angst at trying to put together an event that everyone will like and enjoy. Kind of like putting together a wedding where each attendee pays. Hard to please everyone and to make it worthwhile for everyone.

We do hope that you'll figure out a way to swing the registration fee. Having helped out a bit on some of the NSXPO's I know the organizers agonize over keeping the amount as low as possible. Some years it has been easier than others due to the amount of sponsorship dollars that are received. This year our local sponsors have been tremendously important in keeping the fee as low as it is (so thank them by supporting them everyone). We get that not everyone will be able to afford NSXPO. We hope that some may choose, like we have, to make it our 'vacation' each year. Whether it is flying to Portland, OR for it or driving to Toronto and in 2011 we only had to travel 15 minutes to NSXPO.

Yes 295.00 is a lot, but if you think of it as an (almost) all-inclusive vacation it becomes more reasonable: 2 nice dinners( 50 each for 100.00), 3 lunches (10-15 each for 40.00), karting (75.00), museum entry (12.00), Skid Pad Activities (75.00), Concours d'Elegance Entry (25.00), Technical Sessions by Larry B., Chris Wilson, Source One, and with fingers crossed, Steve Gooding (really quite priceless). Add in all those friendships everyone keeps talking about and it becomes downright cheap.

If the above isn't what you're interested in, then NSXPO probably isn't an event that you'd want to attend. There are some great Cars and Coffee events in Raleigh where NSX's attend. Perhaps you might even want to put together a single day short drive with lunch or even a local cars and coffee. You can do that either through Prime by posting or working with the NSXCA and Ole Sorenson, the Southeast Region Rep. If through the NSXCA you can send emails to members in your area about your 'event'.

I hope you'll choose one of these options and get the chance to meet more NSX owners.

l
Ken that was a welcoming and informative post.

Luke,
I hope you can ignore any previous posts that may have had a bit of edge to them. The price comment has been made before. I get where it can be frustrating to some folks who know the amount of time and effort it is to put this together. As well as the angst at trying to put together an event that everyone will like and enjoy. Kind of like putting together a wedding where each attendee pays. Hard to please everyone and to make it worthwhile for everyone.

We do hope that you'll figure out a way to swing the registration fee. Having helped out a bit on some of the NSXPO's I know the organizers agonize over keeping the amount as low as possible. Some years it has been easier than others due to the amount of sponsorship dollars that are received. This year our local sponsors have been tremendously important in keeping the fee as low as it is (so thank them by supporting them everyone). We get that not everyone will be able to afford NSXPO. We hope that some may choose, like we have, to make it our 'vacation' each year. Whether it is flying to Portland, OR for it or driving to Toronto and in 2011 we only had to travel 15 minutes to NSXPO.

Yes 295.00 is a lot, but if you think of it as an (almost) all-inclusive vacation it becomes more reasonable: 2 nice dinners( 50 each for 100.00), 3 lunches (10-15 each for 40.00), karting (75.00), museum entry (12.00), Skid Pad Activities (75.00), Concours d'Elegance Entry (25.00), Technical Sessions by Larry B., Chris Wilson, Source One, and with fingers crossed, Steve Gooding (really quite priceless). Add in all those friendships everyone keeps talking about and it becomes downright cheap.

If the above isn't what you're interested in, then NSXPO probably isn't an event that you'd want to attend. There are some great Cars and Coffee events in Raleigh where NSX's attend. Perhaps you might even want to put together a single day short drive with lunch or even a local cars and coffee. You can do that either through Prime by posting or working with the NSXCA and Ole Sorenson, the Southeast Region Rep. If through the NSXCA you can send emails to members in your area about your 'event'.

I hope you'll choose one of these options and get the chance to meet more NSX owners.

Luke,
One of the major "plusses" is that if you attend, you'll get to meet some incredible people, like our own "Poohkie", who just wrote the above post. People like her and her husband (Known as "The Don") make NSX ownership, more than just a fantastic car.

Not to mention the token NY/NJ Canook and the many, many others......I'm not into the 'car' like most of the members, however you will meet some GREAT people, some of who will become friends and share your experiences with like minds (well, some of us have like minds......like Pooh ad I).

nsxpo to me is more of a convention of the nsx club of america than a car "meet".The track event is fantastic because it is nsx centric.

Another member flies from Norway with his wife every year.

Hope to see you at NSXPO 2013.

John Komar Co-Chair NSXPO 2013

Hi John and all

I suspect that the norwegian that flies out every year is me. (Since 2010 and beyond)

I am suprised though that I'm married. My gf was a bit suprised too. I told her that now when she was 95 % asleep and the only respons I got was that you guys owe us wedding gifts :)

(Probably my fault as I called her my spouse and spouse means I am married?)

To comment the question about NSXPO, price vs a C&C. I save up money through the year for my vacation to NSXPO. I plan my vacation around were NSXPO (wherever it is) is. It's the main thing I want to attend.

The NSX means so much more to me than probably anything I have. It's not just a car to me. It's the most importent thing to me next to my family.

I'v been down and out pretty bad after a snowmobile accident back in 2007 and the NSX has been my rock. I went to NSXPO 2010 as a tribute to my NSX how it kept me sane and pushing to get my life back and damn it's been rewarding. Meeting people I had only read about on Prime and feeling the comeraderi (<-spelling) has been just great.

I have attened a lot of C&C's here in Norway. But they don't come close to how I feel after a NSXPO. Yes I know I am really emotional attached to the NSX. Maybe this explains it: The way the NSX makes me feel going down the road in whatever speed I might have. That this is the best thing ever..bottle that feeling and then be with people that knows that exact feeling for a whole weekend. It does not get better than that.

Best regards

Sorry about that, Martin.....but hey, make a stop at the jewelry store on your way to NSXPO and we can turn one of the banquets into a wedding reception!

Looking forward to seeing you in October.

Hi John and all

I suspect that the norwegian that flies out every year is me. (Since 2010 and beyond)

I am suprised though that I'm married. My gf was a bit suprised too. I told her that now when she was 95 % asleep and the only respons I got was that you guys owe us wedding gifts :)

(Probably my fault as I called her my spouse and spouse means I am married?)

To comment the question about NSXPO, price vs a C&C. I save up money through the year for my vacation to NSXPO. I plan my vacation around were NSXPO (wherever it is) is. It's the main thing I want to attend.

The NSX means so much more to me than probably anything I have. It's not just a car to me. It's the most importent thing to me next to my family.

I'v been down and out pretty bad after a snowmobile accident back in 2007 and the NSX has been my rock. I went to NSXPO 2010 as a tribute to my NSX how it kept me sane and pushing to get my life back and damn it's been rewarding. Meeting people I had only read about on Prime and feeling the comeraderi (<-spelling) has been just great.

I have attened a lot of C&C's here in Norway. But they don't come close to how I feel after a NSXPO. Yes I know I am really emotional attached to the NSX. Maybe this explains it: The way the NSX makes me feel going down the road in whatever speed I might have. That this is the best thing ever..bottle that feeling and then be with people that knows that exact feeling for a whole weekend. It does not get better than that.

Best regards

Trust me it is worth the cost. This will be my third NSXPO. Last year I drove 21 hours one way to be there. My wife and i celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary at NSXPO 2012. And It was her idea.

You are so fortunate to have this in your own back yard. It will never be that close for me. This year i need to fly 9 hours to get there. You really need to take advantage.

Like others have mentioned, it is more than about the car, it is being part of a community. You will also learn more about the NSX than you could ever imagine.

Hope you can be there. You will enjoy yourself. I promise.

Hope to see you there...

Dave and Sue got married at xpo 04 on the lake in watkins glen so the precedent is already established!:biggrin:

This will be my fifth NSXPO. I've driven my NSX to NSXPO's in Columbus OH, Las Vegas NV, Langhorne PA, and Denver CO. and I wouldn't want to miss another one. I met Martin from Norway for the first time in Las Vegas, and Warren from Canada, in Denver. I'm looking forward to seeing them, along with Dave and John Komar that I met in Langhorne PA, and many others that I've met at various other places.
I'd say to anyone that is on the fence about this, is JUST DO IT. I don't think you'll regret it later. Howard

This will be my 14th NSXPO in a row and YES, Susan and I did get married at NSXPO 2004. Doc John even gave us a nice wedding gift. Ocassionally our anniversary (along with another unnamed member's) fall during NSXPO. Back in 2006 our wives enjoyed a very nice dinner together while we were off at the track in Sebring. So Martin, there can be advantages to getting married at NSXPO :wink:

I'm in......
My car was tuned on the dyno yesterday and is all OK so I registered for the track event.
I ship the car to California in 2 days then I'll drive it to the NSXPO.
Can't wait for my first track event in the NSX!

I couldn't find the forms to be completed for the event. Are they available anywhere?

Last edited:
I'm in......
My car was tuned on the dyno yesterday and is all OK so I registered for the track event.
I ship the car to California in 2 days then I'll drive it to the NSXPO.
Can't wait for my first track event in the NSX!

I couldn't find the forms to be completed for the event. Are they available anywhere?

Great plan.
You are making me feel bad for not driving out from Edmonton.
Last year I really enjoyed the drive and the track event. This year I will be attending, but without the car :-(
I already regret the decision to fly out instead!

Great plan.
You are making me feel bad for not driving out from Edmonton.
Last year I really enjoyed the drive and the track event. This year I will be attending, but without the car :-(
I already regret the decision to fly out instead!

How am I supposed to feel then? There is no option to ship my NSX from Norway to the US. And if I found one there is this thing called insurance which will be a pretty big obstacle.

Well I'll go for a Ford Mustang GT Premium Renta car instead...it's not an NSX, but it just have to do. I will be the one with the mirrors scraping the asphalt trying to keep up :) (the Camaro SS I had last year was lousy. I hope the Mustang is better)

Best regards

Back