• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Official ITB Reference Thread

Not sure I understand. Is there a way to connect the itb box to the factory induction scoop.

Sorry, I think I misunderstood you. Most boxes pull air from the factory fender location.

The Kakimoto Racing box pulls directly from outside the fender with a cone filter where the induction scoop should be:

kaki nsx itb.jpg

The SoS box pulls from the same location.

nsx-itb_SOS.JPG

The KSP box is similar in design to the SoS and pulls from the same location.

ksp nsx itb.jpeg

I am working up a box similar to the KSP, but connecting to the factory airbox and filter with a ribbed bellows, since I think the cone filters are all garbage.

Honcho thanks for the breakdown. The SOS box I didn’t know had port on the side. The picture on the site shows a filter on the cover which I assumed was where air came on.

It looks like the SOS box is the only one I can buy? The Kakimoto box is beautiful but as far as I can tell a one off custom deal?

KSP is still producing their parts. Not sure about Kakimoto. If you can get in touch with them, they might be able to make you one. Problem is, they do not deal with english e-mails. You might want to think about talking to the NSX Shop, who are based in Japan and might be able to reach out to KSP and/or Kakimoto locally for you.

Thanks for info on the ksp box. Are they using Toda ITB’s for that set up?
I will reach out to Marc to see if it is available.

Thanks for info on the ksp box. Are they using Toda ITB’s for that set up?
I will reach out to Marc to see if it is available.

KSP uses their own cams. Stage 1 and Stage 2 available for about $1500. Don't know about the itbs. Probably Toda.

I know this sounds obvious the box needs to be paired to the ITB setup? I'm most likely going with the SOS setup simply because it appears to be the most developed and US supported. The Kakimoto/KSP boxes probably don't work with the SOS setup then?

I know this sounds obvious the box needs to be paired to the ITB setup? I'm most likely going with the SOS setup simply because it appears to be the most developed and US supported. The Kakimoto/KSP boxes probably don't work with the SOS setup then?

That's right. As I understand it, the bottom of the box is cut for the specific ITB horn pattern (I've been watching youtube videos about how to make them yourself lol). I suppose you could have the box made with a solid bottom and then have a shop local to you cut the holes. Needless to say, it needs to be very precise.

Eventually, I'd like to co-develop a box similar to the 1995 and 1996 GT2 Le Mans cars. It pulls from the fender location but has much more volume, which would counter scavenging issues from trumpet to trumpet.

yay ponyboy!!!!!! just like old times.

Been a long time, docjohn! Hope you're well. In the dissertation stage of my doctoral, put the NSX project on ice, and have been absent for far too long. :(

kind of a ghost town..but honcho has invigorated things along with some new enthusiastic owners of old and new cars.What is your phd in?

kind of a ghost town..but honcho has invigorated things along with some new enthusiastic owners of old and new cars.What is your phd in?

That's good to hear - we need more NA enthusiasts. Ph.D. is in Organizational (entrepreneurial) Leadership. Dissertation is about leadership role in AI environments.

Here's a pic of the NSX Le Mans airbox. They rev'd the engine out to 9k rpm.
Screenshot 2018-08-15 11.21.21.jpg

good choice in studies...AI/VR seems to be where silicon valley is going

That's good to hear - we need more NA enthusiasts. Ph.D. is in Organizational (entrepreneurial) Leadership. Dissertation is about leadership role in AI environments.

Here's a pic of the NSX Le Mans airbox. They rev'd the engine out to 9k rpm.
Leadership in AI. FASCINATING!

Dude.. one of these days i'd love to buy you a beer and just shoot the shit. Good luck with the dissertation.

good choice in studies...AI/VR seems to be where silicon valley is going

Yeah, it's where every process dependent industry is going. Lots of intellectual crazy people in there too. "Skynet will kill everyone!"

Leadership in AI. FASCINATING!

Dude.. one of these days i'd love to buy you a beer and just shoot the shit. Good luck with the dissertation.

If ever you're in Tulsa or I'm in the LA area, let's connect. I'm down for a free beer. ;)

Here's another pic of a bigger airbox. No idea why the pic of the airbox includes the water heater. We're installing one today though!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2018-08-14 11.09.41.png
    Screenshot 2018-08-14 11.09.41.png
    60 KB · Views: 343
  • ITB NSX Le Mans.jpg
    ITB NSX Le Mans.jpg
    268.4 KB · Views: 351
Last edited:
[MENTION=4055]Ponyboy[/MENTION] please do! I just [MENTION=18194]Honcho[/MENTION] when he was in town.

Is that your new CF air box? Any details you can share? Gains in power or driveability?

Will do! I go back home (SLO area) four or five times a year to check on our properties but since they sold, I don't get back much.

The airbox from the magazine is from a 1995 Le Mans NSX test vehicle. I wish it was mine! I'd like to think my stroker would pick up a few HP from the additional airbox volume.

Last edited:
Carbon fiber ITB airboxes... DROOOL!

Anybody thought of using a functional scooped engine hatch that feeds into their ITB airbox?

I know [MENTION=4002]chudson1549[/MENTION] has a functional scooped engine hatch, but is not ITB'd.

Anybody thought of using a functional scooped engine hatch that feeds into their ITB airbox?

I know [MENTION=4002]chudson1549[/MENTION] has a functional scooped engine hatch, but is not ITB'd.

That feels too "race car" to me. It is how the JGTC GT500 cars fed their ITB systems. The fender-fed option is more OEM like, like the BMW M5 system.

Im trying to acquire a similiar scoop but not at the price point in the link. I don't like the NSX-R GT scoop as it sits to high in the air, and other scoops usually extend back to much in the rear hatch glass. Something like this....
https://m.ebay.com/itm/NSX-Air-Inta...sid=p2349624.m43663.l10137#vi__app-cvip-panel

That feels too "race car" to me. It is how the JGTC GT500 cars fed their ITB systems. The fender-fed option is more OEM like, like the BMW M5 system.
LoL.... because ITBs on a street NSX is OEM-like and totally not "race car".
Hehehe, I'm just messing with you Paul, but I understand what you're saying.
Which brings us to the following post.

Im trying to acquire a similiar scoop but not at the price point in the link. I don't like the NSX-R GT scoop as it sits to high in the air, and other scoops usually extend back to much in the rear hatch glass. Something like this....
https://m.ebay.com/itm/NSX-Air-Inta...sid=p2349624.m43663.l10137#vi__app-cvip-panel
Yes, I agree. The JGTC/NSX-R GT scoop is definitely more track/race car geared and stands out way too much.
When I mentioned a functional scooped engine hatch, I was thinking more along the lines of that Mugen Style Rear Hatch Intake Scoop (almost exactly like that to be honest). The Mugen Style one definitely seems to be a more streetable solution that is somewhat unassuming/doesn't stand out like a shark's fin in water.

Picture for people's reference:
nsx-air-intake-scoop-mugen-style-w-genuine-rear-hatch-frame.jpg

Last edited:
LoL.... because ITBs on a street NSX is OEM-like and totally not "race car".
Hehehe, I'm just messing with you Paul, but I understand what you're saying.
Which brings us to the following post.

Yes, I agree. The JGTC/NSX-R GT scoop is definitely more track/race car geared and stands out way too much.
When I mentioned a functional scooped engine hatch, I was thinking more along the lines of that Mugen Style Rear Hatch Intake Scoop (almost exactly like that to be honest). The Mugen Style one definitely seems to be a more streetable solution that is somewhat unassuming/doesn't stand out like a shark's fin in water.

Picture for people's reference:
View attachment 155399

No worries lol. My thought is that BMW used factory ITBs on the M5 that were integrated into a nice box that attached to a factory filter box. I want to do the same thing for the NSX- open up the hatch and it should look like Honda put it there. If there was a way to mold the ITB airbox from black ABS plastic, I'd do that, since that is how the OEMs do it. The issue to me with the roof scoop is that in order to draw filtered air, you need a snorkel stack/filterbox that mates to the snorkel. That will block up most of your rear view window. Not a huge issue in racing (Fangio: "what is behind me on the circuit is of no concern"), but it would be annoying on the street.

The issue to me with the roof scoop is that in order to draw filtered air, you need a snorkel stack/filterbox that mates to the snorkel. That will block up most of your rear view window. Not a huge issue in racing (Fangio: "what is behind me on the circuit is of no concern"), but it would be annoying on the street.

Youre right, having a black snorkel could be an inconvenience for street use. Im thinking about molding an exact replica in Polycarbonate Lexan material of the snorkel/scoop posted above where it's all clear so the driver can have much better visibility opposed to the black snorkel,. Now I need to find that exact snorkel from the picture above.

Last edited:
Loving the look of those carbon boxes gentlemen they are the business. After getting locked our of my old account I'm back to update where I left off with my itb setup. My civic with the nsx heart consists of
c23b block, rods and crank
Toda 3.2 pistons
balanced and checked.
ATI damper
3.0l heads, standard valves with nsx-r valve springs,seats and retainers and a regrind on the cam shafts
my itbs are Toyota 48mm and I haven't managed to make trumpets yet so good gains still to be had.
We finished run in on the dyno after doing all of the low cam tuning before we pushed it and lost 8kw at 5000rpm with the oil change at that point and have yet to change oils again but will wait until I have made some trumpets to test at the same time. Just over 251kw at the wheels and 325nm. 336hp with plenty left to improve was a nice result
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Back