• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Pre-owned NSX or New S2000

Re: Re: A post regarding purchasing a used 3.0 NSX...

polar said:
LMAO!!!!! :D IMO buying a S2000 is like the boxster is to 911, the only folks who buy the S2000 are the folks who need lots of attention and can't afford the NSX and the maintence of NSX.

This guy need to chill out....:cool:

As someone earlier posted, Steve C is a long time contributor on S2Ki.com and he's always been a bit over the top in his dislike of the NSX.

Having said that, I hope the post above was tongue in cheek.

I owned a 2001 S2K for one year and 10K miles before getting my 2002. I sold my 2001 for $300 less than I paid for it. (Granted times have changed signifcantly as dealers are not dealing on new S2K's and resale values are finally becoming more like other Hondas (which is to say still good by domestic standards but there is depreciation)).

When I bought my 2002, I came very close to buying a 1994 NSX. I honestly think the NSX is the better car (as it should be for the premium charged for a new one) that is undeniabely quicker, faster and more comfortable. It's not necessariily more fun to drive (IMO) as it has certain charms the S lacks. At the same time the S really is something to drive (at least with the top down) given its unbelievably stiff chassis (for a 'vert), super responsive handling, amazing gearbox, and motorcycle like drivetrain. Its all about what you prefer.

Why did I chose to S2K? Frankly, a few reasons.

1) Finding an excellent, low mileage and un-molested 1994 NSX (I narrowed my search to 1994 cars given the improvements to the car but lack of the undesirable (at least to me) Targa top and higher prices of the later cars). Simply put, Honda didn't sell that many in the US and finding a good one isn't as easy as you guys all seem to think. Sure, this board allowed me to meet a lot of people, see gang of 93 and 94 cars and even test drive a few but most of the vehicles I found weren't what I was looking for or where located in Florida or someplace not exactly convenient when I'm in S.CA.
2) Financing. Given today's super low interest rate environment, I elected to conserve cash for a rental home and finance my car. I couldn't get as comfortable financing a (then) 8 year old car that was out of warranty as I could a brand new car with warranty. That's just me.
3) Maintenance. Before you jump all over me, let me say this. I agree that the NSX is an amazingly well built car. I also believe that it is leaps and bounds beyond what F cars and P cars are in terms of R&M costs. Finally, I understand that spending roughly $35K (after tax, lic., etc.) on a car means you're going to have to assume a budget for some R&M. But... Personally, I knew that if anything went wrong on the NSX it would cost a lot more to fix than the under warranty S2K. As it should. An as new (now) $90K car is going to cost more to fix than a $33K car.

I don't regret my decision for one minute. My dream garage includes both cars but for me, as a conservative guy... this was the best choice I could make for me.

The good news is that there is no bad decision.

Re: Re: Re: A post regarding purchasing a used 3.0 NSX...

My post was suppost to be a joke, I'm sorry if I offened anyone.
the S2k and nsx are both great cars, after my friend lend me have his s2k for few days, I've always wanted a S2k as a 2nd car..... UNTIL I drove a NSX.
basied on steve c's theory on nsx, it can also apply on the s2k, the new 2004 is nothing but better than the previous model year (umm....maybe except prices)
afterall, these two are totally different cars, and we can't simply compare them side by side.

I just sold my S2K and will hopefully be getting a used, high mileage, more expensive than my S2K one, but after driving an NSX, I must admit.....I found it much, much more impressive. Especially since it will be my daily ride...:cool:

Thanks & My Decision

First off, I want to thank all of you that provided feedback in this thread.

I took all the great points made and weighed them as a function of my preferences (can you tell I have an engineering background?). The end result was buying a new 2004 S2000.

I never did get a chance to test drive an NSX; they really are hard to find, which is good and bad. However, for the car and condition I wanted, I would have been stretching myself too thin, financially. Plus, I really wanted a warranty and a known history. I did not believe I could get those items with certainty in a pre-owned NSX that fit my budget. Finally, I always prefer new over pre-owned, it is just what I value.

Anyway, I love this new S2K! It feels more refined, more powerful, and looks better, IMO, than the predecesor. The deal I got was just right too.

Perhaps someday, an NSX will be within reach. But for now, I will be enjoying the miles behind the wheel of a genetic sibling.

Thanks again and happy motoring to fellow enthusiasts!

Attachments

• mvc-002s.jpg
    mvc-002s.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 500
Re: Re: Re: A post regarding purchasing a used 3.0 NSX...

Da Hapa said:
As someone earlier posted, Steve C is a long time contributor on S2Ki.com and he's always been a bit over the top in his dislike of the NSX.

Having said that, I hope the post above was tongue in cheek.

I owned a 2001 S2K for one year and 10K miles before getting my 2002. I sold my 2001 for $300 less than I paid for it. (Granted times have changed signifcantly as dealers are not dealing on new S2K's and resale values are finally becoming more like other Hondas (which is to say still good by domestic standards but there is depreciation)).

When I bought my 2002, I came very close to buying a 1994 NSX. I honestly think the NSX is the better car (as it should be for the premium charged for a new one) that is undeniabely quicker, faster and more comfortable. It's not necessariily more fun to drive (IMO) as it has certain charms the S lacks. At the same time the S really is something to drive (at least with the top down) given its unbelievably stiff chassis (for a 'vert), super responsive handling, amazing gearbox, and motorcycle like drivetrain. Its all about what you prefer.

Why did I chose to S2K? Frankly, a few reasons.

1) Finding an excellent, low mileage and un-molested 1994 NSX (I narrowed my search to 1994 cars given the improvements to the car but lack of the undesirable (at least to me) Targa top and higher prices of the later cars). Simply put, Honda didn't sell that many in the US and finding a good one isn't as easy as you guys all seem to think. Sure, this board allowed me to meet a lot of people, see gang of 93 and 94 cars and even test drive a few but most of the vehicles I found weren't what I was looking for or where located in Florida or someplace not exactly convenient when I'm in S.CA.
2) Financing. Given today's super low interest rate environment, I elected to conserve cash for a rental home and finance my car. I couldn't get as comfortable financing a (then) 8 year old car that was out of warranty as I could a brand new car with warranty. That's just me.
3) Maintenance. Before you jump all over me, let me say this. I agree that the NSX is an amazingly well built car. I also believe that it is leaps and bounds beyond what F cars and P cars are in terms of R&M costs. Finally, I understand that spending roughly $35K (after tax, lic., etc.) on a car means you're going to have to assume a budget for some R&M. But... Personally, I knew that if anything went wrong on the NSX it would cost a lot more to fix than the under warranty S2K. As it should. An as new (now) $90K car is going to cost more to fix than a $33K car.

I don't regret my decision for one minute. My dream garage includes both cars but for me, as a conservative guy... this was the best choice I could make for me.

The good news is that there is no bad decision.

Well put Da Hapa. I still miss my S2000. I will likely buy another one sometime in the future.

Great looking S2000!

Re: Thanks & My Decision

Poison_S said:
First off, I want to thank all of you that provided feedback in this thread.

I took all the great points made and weighed them as a function of my preferences (can you tell I have an engineering background?). The end result was buying a new 2004 S2000.

I never did get a chance to test drive an NSX; they really are hard to find, which is good and bad. However, for the car and condition I wanted, I would have been stretching myself too thin, financially. Plus, I really wanted a warranty and a known history. I did not believe I could get those items with certainty in a pre-owned NSX that fit my budget. Finally, I always prefer new over pre-owned, it is just what I value.

Anyway, I love this new S2K! It feels more refined, more powerful, and looks better, IMO, than the predecesor. The deal I got was just right too.

Perhaps someday, an NSX will be within reach. But for now, I will be enjoying the miles behind the wheel of a genetic sibling.

Thanks again and happy motoring to fellow enthusiasts!

Congrat's. I haven't been able to get behind the wheel of the 2.2L car yet but I'm looking forward to the opportunity. I think I'd like the more aggressive gearing and additional lower end grunt, but I also think I'd miss that 9K RPM song.

I hope yours brings you plenty of safe, fun miles.

BTW - my 2001 was silverstone on red and I loved the color. You'll note that it really does good things for the lines of the car and responds very well to different lighting conditions.

Do yourself a huge favor, break her in properly, check out S2Ki.com and S2KCA.com. Lately, I've been partial to the S2KCA forum because the content is better (albeit there's much less traffic), but both sites are very good and full of great people.

Congrats on buying your S2000. I wish I had found this thread earlier because I could have helped you in your decisions by letting you drive both the cars you were considering all in one place!! I have some NSX's and an S2000 as well. Both are great cars, just different. If you are ever in Indiana, let me know. It would be great to meet you. :)

(*By the way...take the break-in miles easy on your S2000. The rings need to seat, and those cars have a reputation for using oil if not broken in properly.)

(**I also could have told you that insurance on my NSX's is LESS than my S2000. Nice, huh?)

Beautiful S2000! I am actually going through the debate to downgrade to an S2000. Want something different plus pocket some cash. I debate this almost every day....so far, I cannot part with my NSX.

Anyways, love your S2000. I would get the same color as well:)

Jack

supra2nv said:
Beautiful S2000! I am actually going through the debate to downgrade to an S2000. Want something different plus pocket some cash. I debate this almost every day....so far, I cannot part with my NSX.

Anyways, love your S2000. I would get the same color as well:)

Jack

Thanks, Jack!

Yeah, the S2000 has been a lot of fun this past summer. I did a couple Dragon Runs at Deal's Gap in NC/TN, I did the s2ki day at Mid Ohio and did the Fresh Water Tour in MI.

I took everyone's advice on the break-in, which seemed to work; I have had no oil loss/burning at 79XX miles.

First NSX Experience...
I finally got a ride in an 03 NSX while in TX on business. A friend of my brothers took me for a ride around this road course,during an auto-x event held at an airport. My goodness! The car was awesome! The handling and ride were superb, the brakes incredible, the acceleration non-stop, and the looks, absolutely beautiful. I was really impressed, needless to say.

Since that day, I have been wanting an NSX all over again. I am sick! :D

I had a S2k but exchanged it to an NSX. Main reasons : S2k is a plastic car, compared to the luxuary of the NSX. NSx has got a better 360 degrees round view. looks. Price, a 2000 S2000 will drop, a 1991 NSX probably will keep the price. And the engine... To get those HP out of a 2 liter (2.2 now) I think they got to close to the edge of the envelope. I've felt many errors in the fuel-to-air-ratio mapping. I know not many people feel this, I'm a little sensitive on that because it used to be my job. (I used to program ECU for LPG-injected engines)

One thing tho for the US market, something I noticed last time I was there :
If you see an S2000 here in Europe, it's a great beautifull fast car....
If you see an S2000 in the US, it's pretty small compared to everything else on your roads !!

I have neither, but just addign my 0.02 here...

I'm 6'5"... Ive tried sitting in both, NSX is snug, but i fit. S2000, yea..um I don't fit at all, so it's not an option for me,

on a sidenote... It makes me mad when I can't possibly fit into some cars!! Why do automakers make cars that people of taller stature can't fit into? They can drop a billion dollars into making 100HP per liter naturally, but can't make a seating arrangement that can change from small to normal to tall. Makes little sense to me :(...

ok rant over... I'd say NSX... so much more exotic and rare... I mean, to this day I've never just seen an NSX out and about. At dealers yes, but not on the road. I see an S2000 every week.

NoggZ said:
Very beautiful Silverstone S2000......only color S2K I would own. Has the leg room improved since 2000? That is the last time I drove an S2K.
Thanks!
The only notable ergonomic improvements are with shoulder room. The seats are broader and the doors are chiseled out slightly more, giving a little more room to both driver and passenger. Leg room seems the same to me. I previously had a 2001 S2000.

Poison_S said:
Thanks, Jack!

Yeah, the S2000 has been a lot of fun this past summer. I did a couple Dragon Runs at Deal's Gap in NC/TN, I did the s2ki day at Mid Ohio and did the Fresh Water Tour in MI....

Hey!! I was at the last Dragon Ball Run with the S2000 club!! Mine was the only Grand Prix White S2000 with ALL RED interior, so it kind of stood out. :D

wrxrob said:
I believe the introduction of a replacement may cause slightly higher depreciation on the older NSX models.

I believe the opposite is much more likely. When the new one comes out, the supply of old ones is permanently capped. Furthermore, many potential owners will prefer the look of the old car. A car cannot really be a "classic" if it is still in production, but it can become one the day it goes out of production.

Buy now and have extra years of enjoyment without depreciation.

Meeyatch1 said:
Hey!! I was at the last Dragon Ball Run with the S2000 club!! Mine was the only Grand Prix White S2000 with ALL RED interior, so it kind of stood out. :D

No kidding. I do remember only seeing a couple white s2k's. The white would have been my next choice in color if they had still offerred the red interior.

Are you heading to FCs?

Make your own choice!!!!!!

It is a bit of a joke to speculate on an unknown. No replacement NSX / replacement NSX maybe. Increased value / decreased value...

The fact is there will always be MORE S2K's.

There are fewer and fewer nice NSX's as they get hacked, beat and crashed.

Do the math.

My advise, for the 10,000th time is , buy what you like, autos are terrible investments. Buy the car you like to drive.

Ok, I drove an 04 s2k back to back with my NSX the other day. I have driven the s2000 on other days after driving a "regular"car and came away very emotional. But after driving it against my NSX it felt absolutely GUTLESS!
It is still a great car and I would consider in the future but the cars are not even comparible (IMO). It felt downright slow and though I knew it had no torque....good grief this thing felt like a civic. I do appreciate the car on full boil and would love to track one or play on the autocross course with one. To be fair, last time I drove one I was alone with a very curvy road and almost cried when I got out. This time, I had a salesman with me and was on a fairly straight road. The transmission is BUTTER!!!

Steve said:
Ok, I drove an 04 s2k back to back with my NSX the other day. I have driven the s2000 on other days after driving a "regular"car and came away very emotional. But after driving it against my NSX it felt absolutely GUTLESS!
It is still a great car and I would consider in the future but the cars are not even comparible (IMO). It felt downright slow and though I knew it had no torque....good grief this thing felt like a civic. I do appreciate the car on full boil and would love to track one or play on the autocross course with one. To be fair, last time I drove one I was alone with a very curvy road and almost cried when I got out. This time, I had a salesman with me and was on a fairly straight road. The transmission is BUTTER!!!

I'm pretty sure many many cars would feel gutless compared to a I/H/E equipped nsx. I've driven my stock nsx and s2k back to back, the s2000 is definately quick, just not as quick as my nsx. VTEC screams on the s2k and 9k rpm is fun. Definately give the s2k's props where its due. But when comparing to a NSX theres no competition. Btw..i totally agree about the transmission on the s2k.

Back