• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Pulled up next to a GTR...

I don't know... I feel I would get bored with a GTR eventually. When I purchased my NSX it was meant to be an "in between" car. I planned on eventually selling it until the prices came down on the GTR (back then, they were marked up significantly). Anyways, fell in love with the NSX and hope to keep it as long as I can.

Wow, and I thought I was the only one with that story.

I owned an R32 GTR, traded it for my NSX which was supposed to be a placeholder until the new R35's came to shore. Fell in love with the NSX and have since put the GTR idea on hold.

I probably will pick up another GTR once the new house gets built with the extra garage bays ;)

I probably will pick up another GTR once the new house gets built with the extra garage bays ;)

Thats my scenario, Im putting a lift in my garage this week to house both NSX. Then next year I'll be starting on another in the backyard. :biggrin:

how freaking ginormous this thing is

NissanGTR_NSX.jpg

medium_2316430093_1e31a425cc_o.jpg

medium_2316430359_0cc19c727d_o.jpg

medium_2316430001_21c900e570_o.jpg
lol in looks like a minivan next to the nsx

the gtr is not as big as one thinks. i think the nsx is actually "small" compared to another sporty car

granted i did not drive one but i did get a ride in it- i guess you really have to decide what kind of a car tickles your fancy. if you want a car that a grandma can drive fast and 'safely'- gtr is it. even as a passenger i did get a feeling of being 'detached', many have said that it was like playing a video game and i do agree with that overall sensation. it is very fast but sort of plain and boring.

Thoughts on the interior?

I liked the interior. The materials felt good/ quality and had a nice hand feel to them. NVH was good for car that feels as solid as the GTR. I didn't spend too much time checking out the interior - all I wanted to do was drive it, but I'd say the interior is well designed and constructed. Felt like it was made for the job at hand - driving.

I liked the interior. The materials felt good/ quality and had a nice hand feel to them. NVH was good for car that feels as solid as the GTR. I didn't spend too much time checking out the interior - all I wanted to do was drive it, but I'd say the interior is well designed and constructed. Felt like it was made for the job at hand - driving.

Nalesh,

Glad to hear that you had the chance to actually drive one and that you enjoyed the experience :cool:

The center console with the heating/AC controls looks so dated. Reminds me of an NSX:biggrin:

Eh, not so nice:wink:

Ok so the money went to performance. I'd been leaning towards a GTR over M3 for the fuel economy. That or an ISF. GTR price seems to be coming down more than ISF which is kinda odd:confused:

When I say fuel economy I mean I need more than 200 miles to a tank period. M3 poor fuel economy on top of small tank and people are saying they fill up 150-200miles. I couldn't stand that:mad:

Ok so the money went to performance. I'd been leaning towards a GTR over M3 for the fuel economy. That or an ISF. GTR price seems to be coming down more than ISF which is kinda odd:confused:

When I say fuel economy I mean I need more than 200 miles to a tank period. M3 poor fuel economy on top of small tank and people are saying they fill up 150-200miles. I couldn't stand that:mad:

If you think the IS-F is good on gas you are mistaken. I averaged 13-15 mpg for almost 5k miles. No speeding of course:biggrin:

GTR ~ M3 ~ IS-F are all unique cars and you can't go wrong with any of them but you should NOT base your decision on fuel economy.

I have the IS-F and with the 8-speed tranny I get about 21 mpg on highways but in city driving I'm lucky to average 15 mpg. The m3 isn't much better since both are high performance v8's. My guess is the GTR is probably better than both cars. I easily get 270 miles on a tank in my IS-F though.

If you are going to buy new, then any of them would be great but it seems used GTR's few people want to buy for fear of abuse or warranty issues. The Lexus is 100% reliable and I've never had issues with my m3 either though BMW's track record is certainly not like Lexus.

rick

I have the IS-F and with the 8-speed tranny I get about 21 mpg on highways but in city driving I'm lucky to average 15 mpg. The m3 isn't much better since both are high performance v8's. My guess is the GTR is probably better than both cars.

Nope

I average 13.8 mpg so far in my GT-R. It's a whopping 2 mpg's better than the M6 I traded in.

I get 18 MPG in my E93 M3 and can drive around 250 miles before having to fill up. This is commuting miles. Getting out of the M3 hopefully this week, looked at the GTR but 2K/yr maintenance costs:eek:

I get 18 MPG in my E93 M3 and can drive around 250 miles before having to fill up. This is commuting miles. Getting out of the M3 hopefully this week, looked at the GTR but 2K/yr maintenance costs:eek:

I went the other day to go look at a new GTR, although I'll probably just buy one at an auction or a leftover on an MSO. I didnt want to drive it, but while talking with the GM he told me they do not warranty any transmission issues. IS that even legal? The price of brakes seems insane too!

I went the other day to go look at a new GTR, although I'll probably just buy one at an auction or a leftover on an MSO. I didnt want to drive it, but while talking with the GM he told me they do not warranty any transmission issues. IS that even legal? The price of brakes seems insane too!

As a general guideline, if you are considering doing engine mods or tracking the gt-r the tranny warranty can be a major issue if it breaks.

For the 2010 and onwards as long as the engine remains stock, the ecu has not been tampered with, vdc remains in the on or race mode, the front tire to rear tire circumference ratio remains within the tolerance specs, the differential/tranny oil has been serviced at the recommended intervals and the car has not been tracked Nissan can't deny you coverage for tranny issues even if the car has been launched many times. The 2009 cars are covered by a class action lawsuit settlement so the coverage is different.

Brake jobs using stock Nissan components and dealer service can be expensive, dealers try to get people to swap pads and rotors at the same time, that is not necessary. You can swap pads at different intervals from the rotors and you can use different pads that are more reasonably priced than the OEM components, same goes with the rotors. Yet to hear about folks having any problems with their brakes after going with aftermarket components.

There are many threads over at nagtroc that cover these topics, worth a read if you are considering purchasing a gt-r.

Last edited:
If you think the IS-F is good on gas you are mistaken. I averaged 13-15 mpg for almost 5k miles. No speeding of course:biggrin:

Sounds like speeding to me ..lol

GTR ~ M3 ~ IS-F are all unique cars and you can't go wrong with any of them but you should NOT base your decision on fuel economy.

I have the IS-F and with the 8-speed tranny I get about 21 mpg on highways but in city driving I'm lucky to average 15 mpg. The m3 isn't much better since both are high performance v8's. My guess is the GTR is probably better than both cars. I easily get 270 miles on a tank in my IS-F though.

If you are going to buy new, then any of them would be great but it seems used GTR's few people want to buy for fear of abuse or warranty issues. The Lexus is 100% reliable and I've never had issues with my m3 either though BMW's track record is certainly not like Lexus.

rick

Agreed about the reliability. Plus the ISF comes in blue:biggrin: Performance is so close on the street for these cars that to me it's MPG , INS and maint. C/D says they got 28mpg a couple of times on freeway trips with the ISF so it's in the lead with only the auto hurting my decision there.

Nope

I average 13.8 mpg so far in my GT-R. It's a whopping 2 mpg's better than the M6 I traded in.

How far do you avg on a tank? I'm pretty easy on accel on the streets ( I'm a corner junkie ) so to maximize my MPG.

That's actually better than most reports I've seen. May I ask why your hopeful to get out of it instead of hoping to keep it? Agreed but other than fluids I believe most of that stuff can be handled non dealer and completely agree with 2slow2speed about aftermarket on the brakes/pads.

How far do you avg on a tank? I'm pretty easy on accel on the streets ( I'm a corner junkie ) so to maximize my MPG.

In the M6, I would fill up whenever I got to 175 miles.
So far in the GTR, I would fill up around the 200 mile mark (I do know it's a bigger tank than the BMW was)

Nalesh,

Glad to hear that you had the chance to actually drive one and that you enjoyed the experience :cool:

I really did enjoy it. It was a fun car to drive and it felt solid to me. I don't agree with the comments about "it feels like playing a video game". I didn't get on it too much, but I can say for sure, you need to pay attention.

Last edited:
Back