• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Red Valve Covers and S2000 Start Button

ktan said:
Hey Paul great job on both projects, i am about to do the same for all 3 of my valve covers. couple questions ....

1. on the underside of the valve cover there is a metal plate with small 8mm bolts attaching it to the case. Did you remove that first? due to the high temps they use for baking?

2. How much did your powder coater cost?

3. If they are reasonable, Are they willing to do another set the same color if I paid for all shipping costs?

Thanks
Kevin

Yes you need to remove the oil baffle prior to powder coating, do it yourself don’t depend on the shop. The reason for this is that they sand blast / bead blast the covers prior to applying the powder. You will end up with sand stuck in the oil baffle if you don’t remove them. I recommend that you remove the oil baffle and clean your valve covers as best you can, removing as much oil as possible before you send them to anyone. I removed the oil baffle, took mine to the local car wash, and used the high pressure sprayer to clean them very well b/f dropping them off at the paint shop.

The shop I used and highly recommend is Precision Powder Coating www.precisionpowder.net

Id buy a kit :wink:

Paul said:
The reason for this is that they sand blast / bead blast the covers prior to applying the powder. You will end up with sand stuck in the oil baffle if you don’t remove them.

I would run away from any shop that wants to blast these parts. All it takes is for a few microscopic pieces of abrasive to be missed, and you have to rebuild the engine. Don't let ANYBODY blast internal engine parts with sand / glass bead / aluminum oxide / etc.

I've powdercoated valve covers before. I use a chemical stripper to remove the OE paint. It takes longer and is a total PIA, but it's the only right way to do it.

Nice mod. I'd pay for a kit if it were made available.

Hey guys about the kits…you have to modify the existing cigarette area so the new start button will fit, modify the shinny cigarette lighter ring thing so it will fit over the new start button. You also have to remove the ash tray that pops out and set it aside. You then have to drill a hole on the bottom side of that compartment so you can feed the new cigarette lighter cord through the back of it. Also when making the new wiring harness for the dual cigarette lighters you have to use your existing wire harness. Basically what I am trying to say is that there are several existing pieces that need to be cut, modified, and reused to make this work. Therefore there really is no way to make a “kit”.

Maybe you guys mean “kit” as in the actual hardware, but all you really need is to stop by the local Radio Shack to get the electrical parts and the local Honda dealer to pick up a start button.

The point of this thread is to provide enough information so that you guys can perform this mod as a DIY project. The wiring diagram is provided along with the needed relay info. I had searched PRIME prior to this post but was unable to find a decent write up about this procedure so I tried to provide one. It’s really not a difficult mod. If you can pull the center console out of your car than you can do this mod! :wink:

Paul said:
...The point of this thread is to provide enough information so that you guys can perform this mod as a DIY project. ....
If you can pull the center console out of your car than you can do this mod! :wink:
Meant with the greatest respect, but if Paul can do this mod anyone can!
superbiggrin.gif

Paul could be generously described as a "rookie" at electrical work, but as mentioned a list of all the components and instructions are there to follow. Being the nice guy he is, I'm sure he'll take that comment in the context it was intended, merely to illustrate you don't need a EE to undertake this project now it's all laid out. I created the Electrical parts list & instructions on this basis to leave little or nothing to interpretation. (It was fun to work with you on this Paul)
Where Paul's individual skill came in was in doing a really top-class fabrication on the ash-tray to mount the parts. Paul has given some excellent details on how to accomplish this too. I can see why there seems to be considerable interest in replicating as the finished article looks extremely professional.

How did you solder the wires to the pins on the start button? You can't fit a soldering iron in there without melting the plastic housing. Did you just cut away the plastic to expose the pins? I think I just answered my own question.

NSXROX said:
How did you solder the wires to the pins on the start button? You can't fit a soldering iron in there without melting the plastic housing. Did you just cut away the plastic to expose the pins? I think I just answered my own question.
Yep you just did! :biggrin:

I also like the S2000 button, so got one put into the Dali c/f console as part of my ice. install. I also put in the S2000 power socket.Not quite as neat but I can revert to original console in the future.

Attachments

• small2.JPG
    small2.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 639
I think thats hella sweet...thats vey nice to have in the nsx!!! maybe one day I can also do it later in the future!!!! Thanks for sharing:smile:

OK - one more slight addition for those who wish to add the capability of your after-market alarm's remote start feature but have been wary from a safety aspect.
There's not much work required to add this if your alarm already has that feature available & you are already planning on adding the BRG (Big Red Button!)

5957starter3.JPG

Simply connect the output for the remote start from your alarm brain to the connection point in the schematic above (the common point of the two 86 relay terminals) and you have it.
This will be perfectly safe - your car will ONLY crank when the car is in neutral. You will also be able to start the car with the red button without depressing the clutch pedal - normal ignition key start will still require clutch depression as currently.
For some alarm brains (e.g. DEI's - Viper, Python, Clifford etc), it requires an input that tells it the car is in neutral to activate the remote start capability - you can either simply ground this input to chassis or use the same neutral switch connection to give double protection. My Crimestopper does not require this input.

If anyone wants specific instructions for their particular model alarm, PM me.

I can't see the last few pictures from the OP..Can anyone repost them if they can see them please? The ones with the start button installed...

Thanks

What do you mean I’m not around David? Just kidding, in all honesty though, I received an automatic email from Prime telling me someone had posted to this thread. Typically this is the time of the year that I like to drive my car, but I just had major knee surgery due to an accident and have been told I will not be able to drive the car for several months.

With regards to the pictures, here is a link to the pictures in the picture gallery section of Prime. If the link works, look on page 2 and 3. These are the pictures that were linked to my original post.

http://www.nsxprime.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=4884&sl=p

Back