• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Review: Headlight Restoration Kit

I cleaned up the headlights on my wife's Camry today, and I just wanted to share my experience in case you were considering doing this to one of your cars.

The car is a 2002 but the headlights had some pretty bad oxidation and weird dulling going on, especially near the top of the light. The car is mostly parked outside and it took a beating in the sun over the years.

The product I got was the Headlight Restoration Advanced Kit from Detailed Image http://www.detailedimage.com/DI-Packages-M29/Headlight-Resotration-Advanced-Kit-P493/.

The kit includes:
  • 8 oz Meguiar's M105 compound
  • 8 oz Meguiar's M205 polish
  • Meguiar's 5 1/2" sanding backing pad
  • Meguiar's professional masking tape
  • Meguiar's 1500 grit paper (4 sheets)
  • Meguiar's 2000 grit paper (4 sheets)
  • Meguiar's 2500 grit paper (4 sheets)
  • Meguiar's 3000 grit paper (4 sheets)

The instructions on the site are pretty straightforward. Clean the headlights, then spray with water and wet sand in one direction, then alternate the direction with each increasing grit. At the end, buff with the M105 compound, then the M205 to finish up. It wasn't that difficult, and I spent about an hour total. I'm very happy with the results! Here are some pics:

Before:
IMG_0747.jpg

IMG_0748.jpg

After:
IMG_0749.jpg

IMG_0751.jpg

IMG_0752.jpg

IMG_0750.jpg

Back