• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Rumor mill: Type R coming in 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.leftlanenews.com/high-performance-nsx-type-r-coming-in-2020-100506.html

According to Spyder 7, the NSX Type R will feature powertrain components derived from the NSX GTR race car, increasing output from the current 573 horsepower to an estimated 641. It's not clear whether its hybrid motors would be part of the equation.Like the NSX GT3, much of the the body would have carbon fiber construction.

The grille, front air dam — for which there is already a patent for a design not found on the current NSX — and side skirts would exhibit exposed carbon fiber. A large rear wing and a black canopy hearken back to the Type R NSXes of the 1990s. Of course, it would be finished in Championship White, the color of Honda's Formula 1 Grand Prix winning RA272 of 1965.

Spyder 7 says the expected release date is sometime in 2020, with the price in Japan at around ¥35 million, which is equivalent to about $320,000 US dollars. However, the regular NSX currently sells for the yen equivalent of $217,000 in Japan, while the US price is just $157,000.

641hp, more carbon bits, big wing, and potentially delete/partial delete of the hybrid motors? Sounds like a plan. Should be very interesting to see what they go with and of course how much of a price bump. I'd imagine the base MSRP for the Type R will be 200+ and depending on how limited the production is....there will certainly be dealer markups.....

Last edited:
1) they wont sell many if we are able to purchase in usa at all
2) everyone is still going to complain about performance (the lack of) and compare it to/buy the tesla roadster

we need something like that now not in 2 years when the competition will most likely be better yet again.

The electric motors, especially their integration, are what sets the NSX apart from the all McLarens, Porches, Ferraris etc.
Without them, the NSX would be just another fast sports car. If, as the report above hints, a forthcoming Type R will have more BHP from a (presumably) bigger internal combustion engine, then to me it won't be an NSX - it'll be something else, as it won't gel with the current car.

why dealer Mark-ups? Surely this will be truly built to order after the mess that followed the 2017 stock sell off of the regular NSX....

Last edited:
So basically, +$150,00 or more increase in price for an additional 68 HP and a wing? I don't think so.......

This is just another standard playbook move executed by their marketing/branding department. In the first go-round after decades-long talk of producing another NSX after V1, and then again after their 2012 announcement, another half decade passes before coming to fruition, etc...that's the history of this car and this subject. Lately, just stuck in the state of constantly trying-too-had unfortunately and falling short repeatedly. They tried too hard on price, tried too hard in pressuring the dealerships to stock, tried too hard to get it out there fast, etc. it's hard for a leopard to change its spots.

In the 'where are the production deliveries' thread, the leaks have pointed towards there not being a Type-R from the inside. But regardless if this is true or not from a production and/or financial standpoint, the branding department simply cannot operate on that type of platform at all whatsoever. Their job is to spin and do whatever it takes to keep stirring the pot and keep momentum alive, even if it's just in public perception building. They fight against any inkling of fizzle-out or failure and present the we're-gonna-conquer-the-mountain storyline. For all the remaining Acura fans out there, they do not want to be part of helping save something, they want to be part of building something. And talking about a down-the-line-in-the-future ever-infamous and renown Type R model is forward thinking for them at its finest, ...albeit just for show at the end of the day in all likelihood. The reality is, like just mentioned above, they would need that R car out now and not later...and definitely not later-later judging by their past ability to stick with their own release dates.

I think a spyder version would move the needle more than a type R

I agree. I'd seriously consider trading my NSX in for a targa or spyder version, but not for an R version.

This is just another standard playbook move executed by their marketing/branding department. In the first go-round after decades-long talk of producing another NSX after V1, and then again after their 2012 announcement, another half decade passes before coming to fruition, etc...that's the history of this car and this subject. Lately, just stuck in the state of constantly trying-too-had unfortunately and falling short repeatedly. They tried too hard on price, tried too hard in pressuring the dealerships to stock, tried too hard to get it out there fast, etc. it's hard for a leopard to change its spots.In the 'where are the production deliveries' thread, the leaks have pointed towards there not being a Type-R from the inside. But regardless if this is true or not from a production and/or financial standpoint, the branding department simply cannot operate on that type of platform at all whatsoever. Their job is to spin and do whatever it takes to keep stirring the pot and keep momentum alive, even if it's just in public perception building. They fight against any inkling of fizzle-out or failure and present the we're-gonna-conquer-the-mountain storyline. For all the remaining Acura fans out there, they do not want to be part of helping save something, they want to be part of building something. And talking about a down-the-line-in-the-future ever-infamous and renown Type R model is forward thinking for them at its finest, ...albeit just for show at the end of the day in all likelihood. The reality is, like just mentioned above, they would need that R car out now and not later...and definitely not later-later judging by their past ability to stick with their own release dates.
So, in other words, Fake News??

Not interested in an R either. Spider or targa just maybe and more so the tweaks noted in various threads - exhaust note control, suspension/ride control, interior fixes, etc.

I think a spyder version would move the needle more than a type R
I think that they'd "line-up" for a "Bumblebee Spyder" version!!!!

I agree with NSX878, if this indeed comes to fruition, it will be a dud. People aren't parting with their money for the NSX as it is. If it is only a tweak of the current setup for an additional ~70HP at $150K, the changes aren't going to improve sales or perception. They are definitely not going to recoup their investment money with those changes.Also, if they are truly going to release a hotter version in 2020 with no changes in 2019, then even more people will sit on the sidelines to see what comes to fruition. If people thought the 5 car sold in April was bad, just wait, cause that number will drop even more. Though it would be interesting to see how Acura would spin the greater decline in production numbers.

more bespokedness....:eek:

I agree with NSX878, if this indeed comes to fruition, it will be a dud. People aren't parting with their money for the NSX as it is. If it is only a tweak of the current setup for an additional ~70HP at $150K, the changes aren't going to improve sales or perception. They are definitely not going to recoup their investment money with those changes.Also, if they are truly going to release a hotter version in 2020 with no changes in 2019, then even more people will sit on the sidelines to see what comes to fruition. If people thought the 5 car sold in April was bad, just wait, cause that number will drop even more. Though it would be interesting to see how Acura would spin the greater decline in production numbers.

The R would likely provide not only greater hp but also significant weight savings. Together this can provide a significant performance improvement. Also remember that the original R did not even provide more hp than the stock car. Its goal was to provide a more track focused vehicle in OEM form.

If Honda makes a new R they will probably limit the production numbers to around 200 or so. And just like the original R, they will sell every one of them. The car is not intended to be a sales leader but to improve the public's opinion of the Acura brand. Stop trying to compare the NSX's success to brands like Porsche, Ferrari, or McLaren. The competing companies survival depends on achieving robust super car sales while Honda's business model does not.

Even if a new NSX-R model is overpriced or not available in the US, it will likely increase sales of the base NSX by creating more media buzz about the car. For example the majority of 911 sold are not the RS, yet it's amazing how much press and excitement Porsche creates by repeatedly releasing new limited production models.

Honestly, I don’t think anyone out there in the automotive industry cares about this car anymore let alone a type r version. The GT3 nsx fizzled so fast. For them to make an appealing car to buyers in the disposable income category, they would need to completely re-engineer this car. Just how I feel. The car is a sheep in wolves clothing and stripping weight off of it doesn’t make it any different. It’s a nice car but it is still an Acura.

If people thought the 5 car sold in April was bad, just wait, cause that number will drop even more. Though it would be interesting to see how Acura would spin the greater decline in production numbers.

The April sales were bad due to the $30K incentive that Acura was offering during the winter. This caused sales during the winter months to be artificially high. Now that the incentive is gone and all the buyers who were waiting on the sidelines have been fleshed out, it's natural for there to be a sales decline. Sales may not be high, but they are nowhere near as bad as the "5 sales in April" number might suggest at first glance.

Plus the $30K incentive seemed to get a lot more of the cars out on the road which is creating more buzz for the brand. Ever since the incentive started there's been a huge increase in the number of 2nd gen NSX videos posted on YouTube.

interestingly social media was in part the way acura marketed the car early on ....I'm sure they are betting that youtube vids will help.

Honestly, I don’t think anyone out there in the automotive industry cares about this car anymore let alone a type r version. The GT3 nsx fizzled so fast. For them to make an appealing car to buyers in the disposable income category, they would need to completely re-engineer this car. Just how I feel. The car is a sheep in wolves clothing and stripping weight off of it doesn’t make it any different. It’s a nice car but it is still an Acura.

Did you ever stop to think that maybe Honda cares more about how the car is perceived by the many potential Acura customers than how the few buyers with large disposable incomes perceive it? To the average buyer considering a new MDX, learning that the NSX drivetrain integrates 4 engines sounds a lot more impressive than saying it has a single twin turbo V6. Honda wants to be known as a technology innovator and the new NSX largely succeeds in this area. If they don't provide a technology tour de force like what they've done with the NSX then they risk being perceived as nothing more than a Japanese Kia.

interestingly social media was in part the way acura marketed the car early on ....I'm sure they are betting that youtube vids will help.

Yep and how many of those YouTube viewers will ever buy an NSX vs how many of them will buy a normal Honda/Acura?

Did you ever stop to think that maybe Honda cares more about how the car is perceived by the many potential Acura customers than how the few buyers with large disposable incomes perceive it? To the average buyer considering a new MDX, learning that the NSX drivetrain integrates 4 engines sounds a lot more impressive than saying it has a single twin turbo V6. Honda wants to be known as a technology innovator and the new NSX largely succeeds in this area. If they don't provide a technology tour de force like what they've done with the NSX then they risk being perceived as nothing more than a Japanese Kia.
You’re joking right? A technological whiz car with zero lane assist, non power folding mirrors, and a touch screen infotainment display that Jensen could probably outdo. Add to that extreme heat issues from the engine. Sure, it has a hybrid drivetrain but so does a Prius and countless other vehicles.
‘Y’all really need to stop drinking big Jim Honda’s cool aid.:biggrin: The only true reason this car, many other brands, and the Honda Acura brand is switching over to hybrid is due to ever pressing epa standards which as of late is being broken apart bit by bit. These manufacturers lose out the ass with the development of these cars and I guarantee you, if not forced to do so, this car would be all motor. I get it though, you can dissect it in all different directions one pleases to why the car is not selling. Bottom line is, a type r isn’t going to help It whatsoever in my opinion, even if it seems a biased one at that.:smile:
It’d be cool to see though, and I hope they make it a reality.

Yep and how many of those YouTube viewers will ever buy an NSX vs how many of them will buy a normal Honda/Acura?

well sure that's just socioeconomics....this car is marketed to the 1% by Acura's own admission.

You’re joking right? A technological whiz car with zero lane assist, non power folding mirrors, and a touch screen infotainment display that Jensen could probably outdo. Add to that extreme heat issues from the engine. Sure, it has a hybrid drivetrain but so does a Prius and countless other vehicles.
‘Y’all really need to stop drinking big Jim Honda’s cool aid.:biggrin:

I get it though, you can dissect it in all different directions one pleases to why the car is not selling. Bottom line is, a type r isn’t going to help It whatsoever in my opinion, even if it seems a biased one at that.:smile:

i dunno if Honda can do anything to save this car honestly? it failed pretty hard right out of the gate, and it's all down hill from here. people can state all the reasons they want why it's not selling. meanwhile Ferrari is sold out of it's entire model line into 2019.

judging by some of the surprising responses in this thread, current owners and fans of the new NSX don't even care if they build an "R" model. that's an ominous sign.

and it now looks like Lotus is gonna build a Type R before Honda does:

https://www.6speedonline.com/article...2020-comeback/

‘Y’all really need to stop drinking big Jim Honda’s cool aid.:biggrin: The only true reason this car, many other brands, and the Honda Acura brand is switching over to hybrid is due to ever pressing epa standards which as of late is being broken apart bit by bit. These manufacturers lose out the ass with the development of these cars and I guarantee you, if not forced to do so, this car would be all motor. I get it though, you can dissect it in all different directions one pleases to why the car is not selling. Bottom line is, a type r isn’t going to help It whatsoever in my opinion, even if it seems a biased one at that.:smile:

The NSX stereo supports both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. These are the future of infotainment systems, not some proprietary boutique OEM design that will be hopelessly outdated in only a few years. The NSX supported both these standards before all of its key competitors did. Last I checked McLaren still doesn't support either CarPlay or Android Auto. And Ferrari still does not support Android Auto. When CarPlay and Android Auto are used the interface is identical on all stereos. So what is the big advantage provided by Honda's competitors? If anything the competitors are behind in this area.

Lane assist and folding mirrors. Really?? It's not a luxury sedan filled with tech gadgets. The lack of these two features in no way hurts the car's tech credibility as a super car.

While you're correct about EPA standards promoting the development of more hybrid vehicles, there is no regulatory motivation for Honda to use a hybrid drivetrain in the NSX. The car is made in such low volume that the company would not be penalized for creating a less fuel efficient vehicle. Honda went with the hybrid drivetrain because it provides a better opportunity to showcase their technology and to demonstrate to the public their "green" credentials.

Lastly if hybrid divetrains are the future of super cars, then where are the sub $1 million hybrids from Ferrari, McLaren, and Porsche? All of them have indicated they will eventually be providing more affordable hybrid super cars. So if anything Honda is ahead of them in this technology category.

Yes seriously. The mirrors on the Nsx are so long, it amazes me that any owners have not broken any off yet. Many supercars have power folding mirrors, nose lift, and much better electronics than Honda put into the Nsx. You’re correct it is not a luxury sedan. It’s a supercar which luxury sedans and even some suv’s are already nipping at the heels of, “performance wise.” It’s a neat car. For the cost though and depreciation alone you’d have to be insane to purchase one at msrp. Or you could theoretically call it a technological dynamite but then buy skateboard rails to mount to your front bumper to protect it from leaving it behind in a parking lot. That’s cutting edge I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back