• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Switching to Marin Acura for Parts

While I always get my car serviced by Jim Russell at Hopkins Acura in Redwood City, I usually buy any pricey parts by mail with my NSX club discount. In the past, I have always used Neillo Acura, but I just had an experience which made me switch to Marin Acura. I wanted to share the info. My point is not to hurt Neillo Acura in any way, but I do want my fellow owners to have the benefit of the knowledge. Who knows -- this might even spur a change at Neillo.

First off, Neillo has dropped from a 30% club member discount to a 25% discount, and secondly they must have had some sort of fraud which they are reacting to in a way which has now made their ordering system really hard on the real customers. They now require that every order is followed up by a fax of your credit card (front and back) and drivers license (front and back), and achieving for me was even more of a pain than it sounds.

Quite aside from the security concerns of doing this (not just credit card fraud but potentially identity theft from this combination of documents being faxed), it is a real hassle. And they won't simply create a verified customer record you can use in the future -- you have to do this all over again each time. After they asked me to fax it a second time (the first one ended up across two pages somehow on their end) and then their fax machine wasn't picking up anymore so I couldn't (patience getting thin), I decided to give Marin Acura a call instead. I remembered Prime listing they had a club member discount too.

Marin Acura has the same 25% discount, likely for me the shipping will be better as they are closer to me, and they don't have a system which causes security concerns and burns up your afternoon time. You call, specify you order, give your credit card info, hang up -- done. I understand something must have happened at Neillo that changed their system, but when you are frustrating your real customers out of ordering, you may not be dealing with it correctly.

But what really surprised me was that the prices actually turned out to be significantly better at Marin. The front spoiler (the rubber part which gets scraped up) was 10% less, and the new passenger window switch (mine just quit, oddly) was 17% less. While it didn't add up to that much money on these parts, that sort of difference would be huge on larger ticket items, or simply over time. In fact, I think all the times I had been using Neillo for 30% off instead of earlier trying Marin Acura, I might have been actually paying more than Marin's parts at 25% off. Surprising, as I thought dealer prices were standardized.

I'll post again if there is any problem receiving my order, but for now I have a new parts source, and wanted to spread the word. Thanks Marin Acura!

Chip

You're still better off using Ray Laks - free shipping & no Sales Tax collected on the order. Of course I know all the good citizens of CA will declare their out-of-state purchases on their CA tax return!

They are typically a real 25% or better - see this thread for examples.

Can you post up the actual prices for both Niello & Marin for comaprsion to other sources - not trying to argumentative but saying "25%" off and "10 & 17% less" are generalizations without real numbers to go by.

Several of the on-line vendors (like Delray for example) list their prices on line so it easy to compare.
i.e. list of $137 vs actual $110 for the lower spoiler lip. (that is - 20%) - how much was yours? (-25% would be $103)
Did you pay shipping? I know you paid Sales Tax obviously.

Hi Ken. Thanks for the tip on Ray Laks. I had missed hearing about them, and will look into them next time (I think it would be rude to cancel my existing order, even though they won't ship it until tomorrow). No shipping cost (other than their $3.95 handling fee) looks great, and will more than make up for the prices being a little bit higher.

Here are the prices as requested. I listed %'s before because the price differences on these smaller purchases seem somewhat unimportant, until you see that you are paying 17% more (eating up most of your 25% savings) and think about this in terms of using them as your general source rather than this one item.

Front Spoiler: $102.80 Marin, $109.17 Neillo, $107 Ray Laks
Passenger Window Switch: $67.78 Marin, $81.34 Neillo, don't know Ray Laks

Marin Acura says shipping will be about $20 (due to the oversized box for the front spoiler). Thanks again for the Ray Lakes tip for the future.

Chip

Last edited:
(It's Ray Laks - no 'e')
One thing I should have mentioned is there is a $4 processing fee per order - regardless of cost or number of items.

So looks like Marin is 25% and Niello is actually 20%

calexand said:
The front spoiler (the rubber part which gets scraped up) was 10% less
calexand said:
$102.80 is 6 percent less than $109.17. (The window switch was indeed 17 percent less.)

Chip, thanks for the heads up.

I checked with Chuck Towle, Parts Manager at Niello Acura, to see what was the issue. He sent me an e-mail which I will share with you all with minor edits:

Hi, Hrant. Thanks for the heads up. I know this credit card thing is a bummer, but, this customer is exactly right.

We had gotten taken for about $12,000.00 between parts and service in a six month period. Between all of the stores, we had to come up with some type of policy, and this is it. It works o.k. for most folks, but I guess not for this customer. My countermen will always try to work through it with a customer if they have objections, and I'm not sure how this transaction went, but I will ask the guys.

We do price our parts on a matrix system, which most dealers do. Marin Acura may not use theirs for NSX members. Although we may have lost this customer to Marin for good, we will never turn away a customer who has a price that is lower from another Acura dealer. I will always match price !!!

[edit ............]

All I can do is work with the policies we have.

Second e-mail when I asked clarification regarding "list" prices:

When I called some of the dealers to check pricing when we went to 25%, it was all over the board. Most were off of some varied form of matrix pricing. I know I had called Marin back then. But, I do not want to lose any business, I want to be competitive with everyone else. So we will make sure we use factory list for our discounting in the future.

HTH.

Disclaimer: For years, Niello Acura has been and continues to be a strong supporter of of our NSXCA Sacramento Chapter as well as to NW-Regional functions. It is my understanding that one of the managers who used to work at Niello Acura is now at Marin Acura. Seeing the success that Niello Acura enjoys with the NSXCA community, the same outreach and discount programs seem to be developing at Marin Acura as well. This is good for all. In fact, both Marin Acura and Niello Acura have joined forces and donated funds to make the July 21 Infineon track event possible to the community.

I got 20% or 25% off from Serramonte Acura when I purchased one front wheel. If I recall, I after the discount, it was $1310 + tax. They had to special order which took a day to get

AP1_NA2 said:
I got 20% or 25% off from Serramonte Acura when I purchased one front wheel. If I recall, I after the discount, it was $1310 + tax. They had to special order which took a day to get

List price per Delray is $1709 - their posted price is $1367 (-20%) - at $1310 that would be ~ -23% for your deal - not bad.

D'Ecosse said:
List price per Delray is $1709 - their posted price is $1367 (-20%) - at $1310 that would be ~ -23% for your deal - not bad.

The $1709 must be from Acura's list price and not the matrix price that we hear of. Niello's matrix based price on a 02+ wheel was $1816 as of a few weeks ago. With 25% off it comes to almost the same price of $1362. Now with Niello using Acura's list price, that would be $1282 :wink:

Hrant said:
.... With 25% off it comes to almost the same price of $1362. Now with Niello using Acura's list price, that would be $1282 :wink:

Based on the examples above, it appears that Niello was only applying -20%.

Sorry Ken, but perhaps your calculator needs new batteries :confused:

Niello's retail price was based on a matrix pricing which appears to have been $117 higher than Acura's list price - if the price listed on DelRay is indeed Acura's list price. They still gave/give 25% off but their base was different which they acknowledged - a round about way of explaining what you are saying with the same end result :wink:

$1816 x 0.75 = $1362

Having said this, if someone can offer the same product at a lower price than whatever list price is being used, people will eventually gravitate there if service is not an issue.

seem to be ok, otherwise...

I got a quote from Ray Laks for the OEM "NSX" door emblem, and they were more expensive than two other Acura dealer part's shops.
gear_huh2.gif

Hrant said:
Sorry Ken, but perhaps your calculator needs new batteries :confused: .
I don't think so - what I am looking at is the net applied discount with the same list basis from this post so the NET was 20% off the list versus the 25 or greater in the comparitive vendors.

Now .... if you're saying that Niello will apply 25% off the list going forward, then that is definitely a price improvement over what they had been doing which is what I was referring to. I'm certainly not arguing what they may do going forward, but comparing apples to apples with the same list price, Niello's discount came out at 20%.

I can list my car at $1M but will give a discount to NSXCA members of -95% off - does that make me th king of disocunt? No, of course not. % is nothing if not referred to the same basis.

Osiris_x11 said:
I got a quote from Ray Laks for the OEM "NSX" door emblem, and they were more expensive than two other Acura dealer part's shops.
That is quite surprising - what is the part number? It would be worth re-checking, that is most unusual for those guys.

Last edited:
D'Ecosse said:
I can list my car at $1M but will give a discount to NSXCA members of -95% off - does that make for an appealing deal? No, of course not. % is nothing if not referred to the same basis.

Exactly!

Some background. Niello Acura used to apply 30% of Acura's list when we had this program set-up with them some 5 years ago after having this same discussion of several list prices floating around and why the percentages didn't work. Back then, when Goodson Acura's parts manager left, Niello Acura stepped in to fill the void, and may I add per our local chapter's suggestion and relationship with Vince Gregory (now General Manager). Back then, they were the only ones offering such deep discount. Then every NSX owner wanted the same deal from their local dealer ....... competition is good, keeps people honest :biggrin:

The fact that Chip noted this in the reference that you post:

and Osiris also notes that DelRay's price was higher on the item he checked tells the story.

Either Marin Acura is using the Acura list price and DelRay therefore is not, or DelRay is using the list price and Marin Acura is using another variant of the matrix pricing albeit lower on this specific item in question. Which goes back to your comment, what list price. And that is why using the same reference, Acura's list price is the most practical and most fair for comparisons. And on that basis, you are correct, even though Niello Acura offers 25%, in actuality their discount came to 20% on this product item. But as Chuck Towle (Parts Manager at Niello) noted, he will not only match or try to beat competitors' prices, but going forward they will use (revert back to using) Acura's list price - at least that is what his e-mail says, and that is a very good thing for those who live out of state ....... and still pretty good for most California residents when you consider the "user tax."

Just as your example notes, dealers/retailers lure you with deep discount on some products but I doubt if any dealer/retailer can survive by continuously undercutting prices of their competitors on all products all the time :wink:

My price

Front spoiler (Part#71110-SL0-010) List: $121.40 Your Price: $91.05
Front spoiler (Part#71110-SL0-003) List: $137.07 Your Price: $100.06

I can always beat someone's price. Save a couple bucks:smile:

chris

Back