• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Tail of the Dragon (Deals Gap) March 23rd - 25th

He got one of me too from earlier in week. cool. Same credits as above.

me_dragon.jpg

Well here is where I stand as of today....

Insurance adjuster yesterday said 10k worth of damage, and repairable...Whoohooo, wheels are discontinued, so I spend all last night trying to find ones that I might want as replacement.

Today: Car goes to TN Collsion, where the body shop guy finds over 20k worth of damage, without even putting the car up on the lift. He guesses that after getting it up on the lift, the cost will skyrocket. TOTAL LOSS... :(:(:(:(:(

Call insurance, and they have not recieved paperwork yet from bodyshop. They will call when they do. Range in value is from 18-29K. I'm guessing I am going to have to fight to get to the high end of that range... :(

Motorcyclist is STILL claiming I was in his lane, although I took a taped "deposition" yesterday with State Farm. They told me that if the police report didn't convince the motorcylists claim rep, they would have to start calling witnesses. Shannon, keep your phone on. Regardless, I am already out hundreds of dollars for a rental car, and may need one of the locals to run by and get some of my stereo stuff out of the car. I am going to sit home tonight and drink too much beer and cry, as this may mean I am out of the NSX game for a while... :(

d00d, that sux :frown:

sorry to hear that

I will keep you in my prayers :smile:

Tom,
Just say the word and I will head over there and get what ever they will let me take.

I'm sorry to hear about your car. Lets hope State Farm shoots high and you can get yourself into another NSX real soon.

As for the asshole with the bike, I wish I would have been there to see it for myself. I hope Shannon and Tim can be witnesses to help your case.

Please keep us all posted.

Sorry to hear about the misfortune Tom. James (TitaniumVTEC) has kept me in the loop on this and it sounds like a true mess. Best of luck and as James said, let us know if we can help you out up here in East TN.

I can about guarantee that he will loose his case once the witnesses speak up. Shannon had to swerve to miss him and who ever was behind you saw it too...

Sucks that some guys can't be men and take responsibility for their action(s). He'll get what he's got coming though. I nice bill from your insurance!

But over 20K in damage? WOW I never would have thought! Just maintain for a bit. I'm sure you'll be able to get another (or what ever else you might have been wanting here recently!) once the dust settles from this...

BTW, you guys owned Saturdays Killboy pics that are now up. I see NSX's everywhere!

Tom, I got a call from the Insurance Agent today and gave her my statement. I hope this helps get things moving along.

Shannon,
Can I assume that you didn't sustain any damage during this incident? Tom indicated in his initial post that you swerved off the road to avoid the biker.

I can't help but think that if I had made it over there this past weekend...that I probably would have made sure I was following directly behind you through at least one run!!!

I feel very bad for Tom. In one of the pix it appears that his airbag deployed?? It's painful to see that kind of damage.

John

Oh yeah...BUSTED!
prpv.dll

prpv.dll

prpv.dll

Looks like your guy's bike.

Hope you make him pay...

S2ks will be up there in 2 weeks...hope that guy is off the road permanently!

Everybody should save copies of those pictures for future reference. That's a case closing set of images right there for Tom.

It seems like these shots are progressive. Now if one or two more shots were taken after the last image, we could get a glimpse of the Tag to verify if this is indeed the biker.

I was on the dragon and can vouche for how much fun it is; however, I made it a point to stay in the line. I figure if I'm pushing so hard that I have to use ALL THE ROAD then I'm probably pushing a little too hard. I can understand those one or two scary moments when you end up crossing the line from pushing a little hard; however, in this case, I think the motorcyclist was just being selfish and inconsiderate using the whole road like that. (not to mention ballsy).

Oh yeah...BUSTED!
prpv.dll

prpv.dll

prpv.dll

Looks like your guy's bike.

Hope you make him pay...

S2ks will be up there in 2 weeks...hope that guy is off the road permanently!

It seems like these shots are progressive. Now if one or two more shots were taken after the last image, we could get a glimpse of the Tag to verify if this is indeed the biker.

I was on the dragon and can vouche for how much fun it is; however, I made it a point to stay in the line. I figure if I'm pushing so hard that I have to use ALL THE ROAD then I'm probably pushing a little too hard. I can understand those one or two scary moments when you end up crossing the line from pushing a little hard; however, in this case, I think the motorcyclist was just being selfish and inconsiderate using the whole road like that. (not to mention ballsy).

Perhaps it's AY7451 (Illinois plates)?

bmwbike4.jpg

I realize that parts cost drives the estimate up really quickly, but the damage appears relatively superficial/fixable. Apparently, based on the response of TN collision, there was damage to the front suspension or "frame" damage? If the insurance company totals it out, maybe you could buy it back and repair it with used oem parts and it would be cost effective? Plus you can get a substantial discount on new parts if you are an NSXCA member. You could save thousands of dollars on new parts costs alone. Assuming for a moment that there was no "frame" damage, with a good plan of attack you could replace the damaged body and suspension parts in a weekend. You could get it back to as good as it was before, or better, maybe even with some upgrades (newer-style headlights, body kit, etc). It is far from "totalled". As a bonus, black NSX parts are relatively easier to obtain, which would help some.

It really rocks that killboy has those pictures. That looks like as good of a defense as I have seen in an accident case, short of video of the actual incident.

That is one thing that sucks about an NSX - a relatively small accident "totals" the car for insurance purposes because of parts cost.

I am glad everyone was okay. I think this will ultimately work out, one way or the other, either through an insurance company covering the total cost of repair, or buying the car back from the insurance company and repairing it yourself.

Last edited:
Everybody should save copies of those pictures for future reference. That's a case closing set of images right there for Tom.
I have a set saved in case anyone needs them in the future.

Also, I did some searching around thinking the BMW rider might have posted about his wreck on a motorcycle board, but have come up empty so far. It would be awesome if we could find him telling his story somewhere. :biggrin:

Wow....Great investigative work guys. I hate it when bikers blame cagers for a wreck. Yes there are instances when a car does hit a motorcycle or cause the crash, but here we have evidence of the guy clearly cutting the double yellow. I bet the rider never thought that he was being photographed that day.

I'd get copies of those pictures sent to the insurance company ASAP.

Good luck.

Shannon,
Can I assume that you didn't sustain any damage during this incident? Tom indicated in his initial post that you swerved off the road to avoid the biker.

I can't help but think that if I had made it over there this past weekend...that I probably would have made sure I was following directly behind you through at least one run!!!

I feel very bad for Tom. In one of the pix it appears that his airbag deployed?? It's painful to see that kind of damage.

John

John...yes i had to swerve halfway off the road into the gravel to avoid hitting the motorcycle/owner but that was the extent of it for me. Tom's airbag did deploy. The airbag actually put a nasty cut into his arm. I guess the earlier nsx's have the Gen-1 airbags.

John...yes i had to swerve halfway off the road into the gravel to avoid hitting the motorcycle/owner but that was the extent of it for me. Tom's airbag did deploy. The airbag actually put a nasty cut into his arm. I guess the earlier nsx's have the Gen-1 airbags.

I've heard nasty stories of the cuts and burns those airbags leave on any skin they come into contact with. Better his arm than his face and it's also a testament to Acura that the airbag's worked as designed on such an old car.

Glad you found the pics. I try not to get involved in stuff like this, you understand I hope. But man when someone's wrong, they're wrong...blaming others for one's mistakes disgusts me.

I can vouch for the "Wraith" car...seen him up there several times...always in control, always in his lane. VERY few people have problems with that turn (Gravity Cavity/Hump) while traveling northbound. (as the car was in this case) Almost EVERY motorcyclist has a problem with that turn traveling southbound. (as the bike was in this case) They blow it, run across the road, and pray no one comes around the corner. (go up there and shoot some video one day for use as evidence)

I have learned, as I'm sure a few of you have now, that I can NOT go railing into GC northbound anymore, because I've seen too many people run out into that lane. I creep around making sure it's clear first.

Hope everyone else had fun though...y'all looked good out there!

As an FYI to everyone, I took Monday off and went and got all my stuff out of the car. Many thanks to James and Deb and everyone else for the offer to grab my gear, but after 6 years I needed one more moment alone with "Roxanne." I could see up under the car, and even to my untrained eye the damage was pretty severe. Have to admit I drove off with a tear in my eye... :(

Good news is, State Farm is being pretty fair on settling with me, and the injuries sustained from the airbag are healing well.

Thanks all for the pictures. I'll probably send them with a link to this thread to the insurance agent, as even with the police report stating the opposite in front of him, the biker is still claiming I was in his lane...

I'm a biker, and have been up there probably 6-8 times on my zx-12, so I can't bash anyone, but this guy straight up lying is just killing me. not to mention the fact that I have a 500$ deductible and $1k worth of rental car on my credit card at the moment. Even turned it in early trying to be good...

Killboy, thanks for the pictures, and I appreciate everything...

And everyone remember, stay in your lane... I'll keep everyone posted as to the final outcome.

Tom

Glad you found the pics. I try not to get involved in stuff like this, you understand I hope. But man when someone's wrong, they're wrong...blaming others for one's mistakes disgusts me.

I can vouch for the "Wraith" car...seen him up there several times...always in control, always in his lane. VERY few people have problems with that turn (Gravity Cavity/Hump) while traveling northbound. (as the car was in this case) Almost EVERY motorcyclist has a problem with that turn traveling southbound. (as the bike was in this case) They blow it, run across the road, and pray no one comes around the corner. (go up there and shoot some video one day for use as evidence)

I have learned, as I'm sure a few of you have now, that I can NOT go railing into GC northbound anymore, because I've seen too many people run out into that lane. I creep around making sure it's clear first.

Hope everyone else had fun though...y'all looked good out there!

cheers2.gif

Thanks for posting excellent shots of the perp crossing all over the line. Were those just before the accident or at some time earlier?

By the way, you take some kick ass shots. I bought this one and several others a couple of years ago. Best shot of my car ever.

1120502190.jpg

Back