• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Ticket in my Nsx. Possible way out?

Yesterday I was driving home from cars and coffee and I was going the speed limit with another Nsx and got pulled out of the blue from a Maryland transportation authority officer. Before we came over the hill where the officer was waiting there was a van in the lane next to me speeding past me right as we crested the hill clearly in the view of the officer. Unfortunately that was not enough and my car was just too scary and I must be doing something wrong so I had to be pulled over. I received a citation for not having a front license plate which I did have in the car with me. I admit not having the front license plate attach the bumper is against the law and that's fine I just find it ridiculous that it seems as though he was looking for something to get me with. The van even slammed on the brakes right after they passed a cop but the cop was too focused on us and decided to whip between me and another Nsx in order to pull me over. I was looking over the ticket today and I noticed that for the model in the description of my car it says two door. It does not say Nsx as it should. Is it true that if the officer has not completely filled out the ticket with the correct information i.e. the correct model, that this ticket could be considered null and void? The ticket was only for $70 which is the maximum fine for this violation but I feel that this is the dumbest, most pointless law that doesn't keep officers any safer than if we didn't have a front license plate and to me I view this as just another tax for Maryland citizens so if I can get out of it I most certainly will. Anybody practice law in Maryland or familiar with my possible options other than paying the ticket?
apesupam.jpg

Wow, good thing there's no crime in MD that they can devote their full resources to dangerous terrorists like you:wink:. As we all know, driving w/o a front plate leads to armed robbery & who knows what else. They could at least be honest about their real purpose & bolt cash registers to the trunks of police cars. So we can pay right at the roadside. Oh wait, that would cut out the lawyers & courts getting their cut so we can't do that.

Good luck, hire traffic lawyer.

With the ticket. The model does not have to say nsx. It just has to list the type of veh. The nsx is. 2 door coupe even if you have an nsx-t. The options will say 2dr / 4rd/ suburban/ truck /convertible etc. so the ticket will not be dismissed because of that.
If the dmv for the state of Maryland requires a front plate it is a ticketable offense. So is a dirty and or covered plate. Fyi.

I would say no. When they put "model" on a ticket they are not asking for the model name of the vehicle it is a generic for door type. There are way too many manufacturer model types to ref in a data base (Think Ford Mustang and ALL they different models). That is one of the reasons they use door type to specify the model. While I am not a police officer, I have worked with Law Enforcement for 20+ years. It does suck that he did profile you, but I really think you are stuck with this one.

I would just keep paying the tickets as I WILL NEVER PUT ONE ON MY NSX they can Kiss my azzz.

now I would have the front plate on the dash or the car pushed up against the glass maybe that would make the judge think well he is tring. possible to make him laugh and get out of ticket

if we had to have fronts in Florida I would move or just pay the tickets every day. pay to play LOL but its so stupid

I would just keep paying the tickets as I WILL NEVER PUT ONE ON MY NSX they can Kiss my azzz.

now I would have the front plate on the dash or the car pushed up against the glass maybe that would make the judge think well he is tring. possible to make him laugh and get out of ticket

if we had to have fronts in Florida I would move or just pay the tickets every day. pay to play LOL but its so stupid

You may not get a ticket for the lack of license plate but you'd definitely get one for your grammar and punctuation.

Not a good idea Shawn.
If you have the plate on the front dashboard and you get into a head on or rear end someone the plate can fly back as a projectile and cause serious personal injury to your passenger and you.
Just trying to inform those who have done this, just keep your plate under the pass seat or mat and keep two + zip ties in your glove box in case you have to attach the plate temporarily for whatever reason.

Is it true that if the officer has not completely filled out the ticket with the correct information i.e. the correct model, that this ticket could be considered null and void?
No. When a ticket has missing or erroneous information, it can be amended to add/correct the information on it. (Of course, if the description obviously applies to an entirely different vehicle, you may have a case.)

You can take the ticket to court and plead your case, but I wouldn't do so based on that as a justification. You may get out of it, or you may not. Keep in mind that this is an equipment violation, not a moving violation, so it probably won't affect your driving record or your insurance rates.

Not to highjack Syndicate's thread, but I would be interested in some opinions on a ticket I recently acquired. Long story short, got pulled over and handed a ticket for speeding. First time I have seen a ticket that was spit out of a computer in the patrol car. I didn't bother looking at it till I got home. Figured there would be little chance of a screwup seeing how infallible computers are. Turns out I was wrong.

The information on the ticket was only partly correct. He had the make, model, and license plate of the car alright. However the driver info was for some guy they probably pulled over earlier and didn't clear out of the computer. My name and drivers information is nowhere on the ticket he handed me. I'm thinking I'm in the clear. Thoughts?

Don't know about Maryland, but in California they give front-plate tickets because of red-light cameras. No front plate - they don't know who to send the ticket to. In San Francisco they'll write you up for no front plate even if the car is parked. Sad but true.
There's always this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-opBcpzLDI

I would tuck it behind the grille, take a pic and send it in as a not guilty. state the cop didnt like its location. he wont be in court if you fight it.

at least that is what i would do...

I said the same thing until I got pulled over and ticketed for no front tag 6 times in one year. It adds up. Oh, and they will also ticket you for having the plate on the dash. I know. :)
Last time it happened, one of Bel Air's finest pulled a U-turn in rush hour traffic just to give me a no front tag ticket. I applaud you sir, for keeping our town safe.

ticket

Not to highjack Syndicate's thread, but I would be interested in some opinions on a ticket I recently acquired. Long story short, got pulled over and handed a ticket for speeding. First time I have seen a ticket that was spit out of a computer in the patrol car. I didn't bother looking at it till I got home. Figured there would be little chance of a screwup seeing how infallible computers are. Turns out I was wrong.

The information on the ticket was only partly correct. He had the make, model, and license plate of the car alright. However the driver info was for some guy they probably pulled over earlier and didn't clear out of the computer. My name and drivers information is nowhere on the ticket he handed me. I'm thinking I'm in the clear. Thoughts?

i got a ticket like you did once,all the info for the car was correct but the driver info was someone else's,i called them and got a hearing with a commissioner and explained the mistake pointing out that if that info was in-correct how could they trust any of it?it was written off and i received a letter to verify that fact,good luck!!

I would tuck it behind the grille, take a pic and send it in as a not guilty. state the cop didnt like its location. he wont be in court if you fight it.

at least that is what i would do...

Just get the SOS stealth plate bracket. That's what I use and it looks fine. If a cop pulls me over and asks about the front plate I respond " Oh I'm sorry officer, I was at a car show last weekend and must have forgotten to put it back down." In Texas the court would only want to see a picture of the plate in place. Of course you would pay court costs, but the ticket and fine ould be dismissed.

Two cops that I know said that my plate was fine and they wouldn't mess withit in a normal traffic stop. If they wanted to be picky they would just have me pull the plate down on the spot.

In the pic., my car is on the bottom.

Yep, that is what I have too. Got pulled over and I used the old "just coming back from Cars & Coffee" excuse. Pulled the tag down and the officer was good to go. No problems.

another reason why I am thinking about killing my account on NSXPRIME,people have nothing better to say than

hey you spelled " fuK-U " wrong,

sick of it. same bullshit

you help and help and help and get nothing back. but complain complain whinning, bitching, timing belt waterpump, alarm issue, bose speaker bullshit, peace Prime. Im out

Wow, good thing there's no crime in MD that they can devote their full resources to dangerous terrorists like you:wink:. As we all know, driving w/o a front plate leads to armed robbery & who knows what else. They could at least be honest about their real purpose & bolt cash registers to the trunks of police cars. So we can pay right at the roadside. Oh wait, that would cut out the lawyers & courts getting their cut so we can't do that.

Good luck, hire traffic lawyer.

In Montana you can pay tickets right on the spot if given by the Highway Patrol :) Buuuut, I'd also never get stopped for driving with no front plate either, because they've got real problems to worry about.

I haven't had a front plate on for 14 yrs, have had 4 tickets for that and go fight them each time and it gets reduced to $35..........funny, I bought a Dali bracket, etc to mount it but looks so ugly I just keep everything in the trunk with the new bracket and say they forgot to ship the backing part........does it work, no! Still get the ticket but the story works in court.........as for an error, that used to work in the old days, now it doesn't matter since computers are on hand or they just correct the error and you're still stuck with the ticket.

If you have the day off and want some laughs....and .. If you did have your plate with you and showed the cop, plead your case in front of the magistrate.

tape the back with duck tape, stick it on the car (obviously with the tape on the back and not seen) take a picture and print it. When you go to court tell the JP (okay, we have them here so I guess magistrate) that you immediately got it fixed that day or the next day (take the picture with the date shown) depending on what time you got the ticket so it looks like you actually went to an open shop - then they may lessen the fine due to you acknowledging not having a plate, but fixed it right away........oh yes - take the plate off once the picture is taken and be prepared to do it all over again sometime down the road..........worked for me twice :>)))

In Missouri if you have a historic plate (older than 25 years) only rear plate required. A few more years and the 91s will be eligible. :)

The states that require a front license plate are: Missouri, Washington, Oregon, California, Alaska, Hawaii, Nevada, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Utah, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Texas, Minnesota, Iowa, Illinois, Missouri, Wisconsin, Ohio, Virginia, New York, Maryland, New Jersey, Connecticut, New Hampshire, Vermont, Maine, Rhode Island, and the District of Columbia.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, our vehicles were manufactured with a means to mount a front plate. Maryland does have a street rod registration option which describes the vehicle as "substantially modified from factory". I wonder if this is the way to go and if it will work for window tint as well?

Back