• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Undecided on which NSX, help with market value?

I'm undecided between two NSXs at the moment and would like everyone's advice as well as some guidance on market value of one of them.

NSX #1 is a '91 Berlina Black 5-speed with 116k miles at a used car dealership that has supposedly been local and should be able to get maint. records from the local Acura dealer it went to all of its life. Price on that car is $21k. I've seen it in person and it has a few rock chips on the front, a few minor paint blemishes elsewhere and an Ivory interior with driver seat in fair to good condition, no other problems I could note.

NSX #2 is a '98 NSX-T Kaiser Silver on Black 6-speed with 98k miles. It is in gorgeous condition and has a full maintenance history that is up-to-date.

I don't want a black car, and I'd probably do a color change to Championship White (my favorite Honda color) if I bought that one. I really like the Targa option because this will be a sunny day only car, 6-speed is desirable to me and I also like the big motor since either will eventually be turbocharged. The Kaiser Silver car has extensive body work (Sorcery widebody) along with tons of interior, suspension and audio/video work. I'd like to get your thoughts on just the price of the '98 without those, so I can take into consideration what if anything above the value of a perfect condition stock NSX I'd be willing to pay. Both cars will obviously get a Carfax and PPI done prior to purchase to confirm condition and maintenance.

I'm at either buy low and build to my taste with the difference, or buy completed and save money on mods over time. To some extent I really enjoy picking and choosing my mods and the build process, but having a turn key car with higher end parts than I'd likely ever install is appealing at a cost savings all considered. Thoughts?

Tom

Last edited:
Are you talking about this Sorcery widebody NSX? If so, it would be a no brainer and buy that NSX.

Yes it is that NSX. I was hoping to avoid talking about the car in particular so I could get an objective value were it just an excellent condition stock NSX to try and put the added cost for modifications in perspective. Bottom line is that it's a 100,000 mile car, and that is in the forefront of my mind regardless of condition and modifications. Do you have personal experience with the car?

Tom

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry about it having 100k miles. You already stated it has a full maintenance history. I would definitely choose a higher mileage car with a full maintenance history vs one that is somewhat sketchy.

If you like the widebody, then get it. Im not sure if these bring more/less vs market, however, due to a smaller group of interested buyers.

I seriously doubt that the Acura dealer can pull records dating back to 1991. Perhaps a member that has access to Acura database can elaborate on this further. The main interest here is getting the most recent records for the major services such as the Timing Belt and Clutch.

Take a look at the market section at the NSXs for Sale forum and look at the recent prices for similar cars and you'll get a good idea.

I am not a big fan of widebody kits and feel the resale is more difficult due to a limited pool of interested buyers.

I seriously doubt that the Acura dealer can pull records dating back to 1991. Perhaps a member that has access to Acura database can elaborate on this further. The main interest here is getting the most recent records for the major services such as the Timing Belt and Clutch.

We can only check for recalls and warranty work, for service records you'd need to call that specific dealer that did the work and Im doubtful anyone has records from mid 90's still. We purge our systems once every 4 to 5 years:wink:Let me know if you need a vin status inquiry.

Take a look at the market section at the NSXs for Sale forum and look at the recent prices for similar cars and you'll get a good idea.

I am not a big fan of widebody kits and feel the resale is more difficult due to a limited pool of interested buyers.

my last NSX, the silver one was a 92 and I found a Cush Acura card in the manual booklet, so I called to see what services had been done and ended up getting a print out of all the maintanence from day one...It was in code form, but it was all there...:cool:

Last edited:

my last NSX the silver one was a 92 and I found a Cush Acura card in the manual booklet, so I called to see what services had been done and ended up getting a print out of all the maintanence from day one...It was in code form, but it was all there...:cool:

BTW, how much for the wide body???

Remember...the car is not a Ferrari or a Lamborghini...100,000 miles is nothing if the car has been taken care of. If you like the widebody...then go for it...some like stock vehicles and some do not...the fact remains...its your money and life is way tooooo short to worry about what someone else perceives something to be. Some people have big mouths and have to blurt out what they think. No one ever promised you tomorrow...just make sure that you can afford the vehicle - as this economic downturn is definately going to get worse before it gets better.

The hunt is always better than the catch!

Dam:cool:

You are looking at apples and oranges, hard to do a direct comparison to an un-modded car.

Have a local inspection done on both cars, Morgan at Acura of Portland(2008 NSXPO sponsor) is as good as it gets and he can help point out specific issues that may be lurking on the 91. I know of the Jeremy's car and it is supposed to be the cleanest of the claen, never seen it, but it is only a day drive away to check it out and come back home. Jon at Acura of Lynnwood can help you out up there to get the inspection done.

If your end goal is a widebody, the 98 is $.20 on the dollar if you were going to build one.

91 with 100K+ miles at $21K is market rate for a few blemishes, if there are no hidden issues. Check records for timing belt, water pump service, that is a big $ repair and it is due if it has not been done.

Feel free to PM if you want some local support in PDX.

Dave

We can only check for recalls and warranty work, for service records you'd need to call that specific dealer that did the work and Im doubtful anyone has records from mid 90's still. We purge our systems once every 4 to 5 years:wink:Let me know if you need a vin status inquiry.

Thanks very much for the offer, if I find the car I'm really looking for I may take you up on it!

my last NSX the silver one was a 92 and I found a Cush Acura card in the manual booklet, so I called to see what services had been done and ended up getting a print out of all the maintanence from day one...It was in code form, but it was all there...:cool:

BTW, how much for the wide body???

Jeremy has been asking $52,000 for the last few months and no sale, but may be entertaining a trade for my EVO. I'm not certain that this is the car for me, but I'm weighing this option and will go take a look in person if the $ difference on trade is reasonable....he's supposed to be calling me back this week and we'll see how serious he is to sell it then.

Remember...the car is not a Ferrari or a Lamborghini...100,000 miles is nothing if the car has been taken care of. If you like the widebody...then go for it...some like stock vehicles and some do not...the fact remains...its your money and life is way tooooo short to worry about what someone else perceives something to be. Some people have big mouths and have to blurt out what they think. No one ever promised you tomorrow...just make sure that you can afford the vehicle - as this economic downturn is definately going to get worse before it gets better.

The hunt is always better than the catch!

Dam:cool:

I could go either direction and these two cars represent that. It will be a huge cost savings to buy one "finished" than to build it myself, but then again I'm not a car enthusiast for the cost savings or appreciation :) These cars represent the option of me starting with a blank slate and painting the picture myself, or the option of accepting someone else's picture and the savings over building the same from scratch.

I completely agree about the economic situation, but then again the more we worry and squirrel away our discretionary funds the worse that situation will get.

I do have a problem with rushing the search for things at times, so your advice is very poignant!

You are looking at apples and oranges, hard to do a direct comparison to an un-modded car.

Have a local inspection done on both cars, Morgan at Acura of Portland(2008 NSXPO sponsor) is as good as it gets and he can help point out specific issues that may be lurking on the 91. I know of the Jeremy's car and it is supposed to be the cleanest of the claen, never seen it, but it is only a day drive away to check it out and come back home. Jon at Acura of Lynnwood can help you out up there to get the inspection done.

If your end goal is a widebody, the 98 is $.20 on the dollar if you were going to build one.

91 with 100K+ miles at $21K is market rate for a few blemishes, if there are no hidden issues. Check records for timing belt, water pump service, that is a big $ repair and it is due if it has not been done.

Feel free to PM if you want some local support in PDX.

Dave

Thanks Dave, I will keep those two dealerships and names in mind for PPI's! I really do want to get the right car the first time around with no regrets and will PM you if a need arises. The offer is much appreciated!

Tom

Back