• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What did YOU pay for your NSX? (and when?)

The maintenance work done after the purchace made all the difference. Nah, the dealership made it clear they were not going to do any work, and that they had already done the inspection. Yes, in the end that was me that picked the price with the factors you mentioned.

If I could do it again, I wouldve waited a little longer, expanded my search queries by adding a couple hundred miles to searches, and picked one up that had some goodies (turbo!)

Man, this thread really highlights how far apart many public sellers/dealerships are from actual transactions. I've been in the market for a while now and I simply can't reconcile the very public asking prices from all the observable transaction prices I've collected from recent buyers and sellers. Like right now, I would be humiliated to post that I paid $40k for a 1991 with 50k+ miles (in snap ring range) and has confirmed paint work, yet every advertised car out there seems utterly convinced that they are basically giving the car away.

I've collected info on more than 30 confirmed transactions over the past 10-12 weeks so these comps are current. The data is on cars mainly from 1991 thru 2001 (since that's the range I'm looking in) with varying miles, histories and modifications. I'd really like to find a car already, but I've had no sort of luck so far. At this point for the right car, I'm probably willing to give someone a bit more than where we see cars trading hands in this thread. But for for heavens sake, if people think cars are actually trading hands anywhere near the asking prices on eBay or anywhere else (including many in the for sale section here; you know who you are guys :cool:) they simply aren't.

i did the same thing with tracking prices during my search. compiled around the same number of 97-01 cars. there was a big difference between this past summer and the 1-2 years preceding that though.

The maintenance work done after the purchace made all the difference. Nah, the dealership made it clear they were not going to do any work, and that they had already done the inspection. Yes, in the end that was me that picked the price with the factors you mentioned.

If I could do it again, I wouldve waited a little longer, expanded my search queries by adding a couple hundred miles to searches, and picked one up that had some goodies (turbo!)

I think you did just fine. I know of 91's bought with fewer miles for over 40k.

Last edited:
Man, this thread really highlights how far apart many public sellers/dealerships are from actual transactions. I've been in the market for a while now and I simply can't reconcile the very public asking prices from all the observable transaction prices I've collected from recent buyers and sellers. Like right now, I would be humiliated to post that I paid $40k for a 1991 with 50k+ miles (in snap ring range) and has confirmed paint work, yet every advertised car out there seems utterly convinced that they are basically giving the car away.

I've collected info on more than 30 confirmed transactions over the past 10-12 weeks so these comps are current. The data is on cars mainly from 1991 thru 2001 (since that's the range I'm looking in) with varying miles, histories and modifications. I'd really like to find a car already, but I've had no sort of luck so far. At this point for the right car, I'm probably willing to give someone a bit more than where we see cars trading hands in this thread. But for for heavens sake, if people think cars are actually trading hands anywhere near the asking prices on eBay or anywhere else (including many in the for sale section here; you know who you are guys :cool:) they simply aren't.

I completely agree with you, the prices are all over the place. Finding a good one is definitely a task

I wasn't going to respond to this thread because honestly, I think the number should remain between the buyer and seller. However, upon thinking about it further I realized that it could be beneficial to forum members that are in the market. With that being said, for me the numbers are: July 2014, 2000 Spa Yellow/Onyx, 6MT Targa, 42K miles for $47,000. The previous owner did have meticulous maintenance history of the car however the WP/TB had not been done as of yet. That actually really didn't bother me (especially when you have Larry B close) because the overall condition of the car otherwise was EXACTLY what I was looking for so I knew I had better jump on it. (Not to mention the seller was one of the best people I had ever dealt with in buying a car.) Overall, I think I did very well because I couldn't be happier with the car. Hope this helps..

Last edited:
I wasn't going to respond to this thread because honestly, I think the number should remain between the buyer and seller. However, upon thinking about it further I realized that it could be beneficial to forum members that are in the market. With that being said, for me the numbers are: July 2014, 2000 Spa Yellow/Onyx, 6MT Targa, 42K miles for $47,000. The previous owner did have meticulous maintenance history of the car however the WP/TB had not been done as of yet. That actually really didn't bother me (especially when you have Larry B close) because the overall condition of the car otherwise was EXACTLY what I was looking for so I knew I had better jump on it. (Not to mention the seller was one of the best people I had ever death with in buying a car.) Overall, I think I did very well because I couldn't be happier with the car. Hope this helps..

great deal!

bump - in case anyone else cares to add some real world values :)

Berlina black 91, out of snap ring range. 100% stock, no paint work, needed WP/TB work, 50,xxx miles, extras included an entire second interior (dash, seats, carpet, console, door panels) out of a 3000 mile 02 that was totaled for $34K

Berlina black 93, 120,xxx miles, 100% stock, repainted front driver's side fender. Needed WP/TB work. Paint and interior in excellent condition $30,500

I think this thread is important to the market on both sides and people should be transparent about their sales. On M3forums it proves to be a valuable resource to help determine FAIR market value.

I'll fill my information in below using the M3forums.com template, perhaps others will elect to do the same.

Are you the Buyer or Seller?:Buyer
Model Year: 1997
Mileage: 130000 Miles
Accident History: Minor front end damage from car rolling into a set of tires, cosmetic damage only to front end, frame/chassis is untouched.
Clean, Salvage, or Rebuilt Title: Clean
Coupe or Targa: Targa
Exterior Color: Black
Interior Color: Tan
Manual or Auto: Manual
Major Options: N/A
Under Warranty? (if yes, please indicate type and remaining coverage): No
Overall Condition (Excellent, Good, Fair, Poor): Good, extensively modified
Any unusual items that affected value?: Built motor, turbo kit, 02+ front conversion, wide body fenders, no seats included
With Whom Did You Complete the Sale? (Private, BMW Dealership, Other Dealership, Auction): Private seller, honda fan, and good guy :)
How Did You Find Seller/Buyer?: NSXprime.com though member Angus directed me to the listing
Sale Location (City, State): Winnipeg MB Canada
Sale Date (Month, Year): 9/15
Seller Asking Price: $49900 USD ($65000 CAD at the time)
Final Sales Price (amount seller received): $42000 USD ($55000 CAD at the time)
Est. Published Value, if known (KBB, Edmunds TMV, NADA, etc.): Not sure
Other Comments (amount of time in the market, successful negotiating tactics, words of advice, pictures, etc.): Provided the seller with a quick and painless sale and then had the car shipped to me sight-unseen. Seller was very open in disclosing any imperfections, the car burned oil and is likely a result of a no restrictor to the BB turbo, front wide body fender had an imperfection on the driver side, and a few other small issues. Car was sold with no Bride seats or Voltex wing. Link to for sale ad can be found below. This was an easy purchase as there is a lack of NSX's in Canada and the additional costs of the exchange rate and importation are cost prohibitive. Note that this car was previously sold on Prime in 2012.

2015 for sale
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...T000017-49-900-6speed-Targa-Turbo-02-05-front

2012 for sale
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/162389-FS-1997-NSX-T-Turbocharged-VIN-JH4NA2167VT000017

Edit: Mods could this be stickied?

Last edited:
Seeing those comparables listed for low mileage 2000-2001 in this thread, just from last year, rubs a little salt in the wound for me. :) I should have bought in 2014, would have paid much less than I just did, two months ago, for my '99 with (then) 59k miles.

Enjoying the car and I plan to keep it for quite a while, so the sting will not be so bad, after all.

Seeing those comparables listed for low mileage 2000-2001 in this thread, just from last year, rubs a little salt in the wound for me. :) I should have bought in 2014, would have paid much less than I just did, two months ago, for my '99 with (then) 59k miles.

Enjoying the car and I plan to keep it for quite a while, so the sting will not be so bad, after all.

as we go through life,we all leave a little money on the table.i bought in 2008 before the crash,but have no regrets,i'm just so grateful I could do it,and so glad I did. It appears they will start to go up more steeply,so just be glad you jumped in.

I purchased my car in 2012 for 16,500 under a salvaged title with 65,000 miles. The car was salvaged due to being stolen in Arizona and being recovered in Chicago. No frame damage but had a aftermarket sunroof cut into it. Which has been removed. I have since put almost 50k into it minus the purchase cost. So a deal, it was not....

2 years ago paid full asking price 65k sight unseen less than 1week after posted with people waiting behind me. #1 2003 with 5800 miles when I bought it. Now around 8300 miles. 80k sounds about right, or a little more.

Have you been to cars.com lately???:eek:

People are getting crazy!!! Hope they get their asking prices:biggrin:

Have you been to cars.com lately???:eek:

People are getting crazy!!! Hope they get their asking prices:biggrin:

i just did that. Wow...asking prices have appreciated again just since I bought two months ago. I suppose I don't feel that bad now. I still lucked out to get the car I did for what might be considered today a reasonable price.

Give it time. Despite what some people may think, NSX prices haven't really picked up dramatically on the higher end (NA2), most of the big growth has been on the lower end - cars that were in the 20k range are now stable in the 30k range which is a big % jump. While there has been a modest uptick over the past 2 years, I wouldn't say it is anything to go crazy over.

Let me just leave this sales link as a sample of what "crazy" price increase looks like:
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?&listingId=413810832&Log=0

Paid: $25000 Sept 2014 for 95 black with ~125k miles
- visual stuff: advan avs model t6s, carbon type r wing, SOS headers to taitec LWGT exhaust, shine gt carbon lip, and prob other lil things i cant remember

Received: $45000 Oct 2015 with ~140k miles

Last edited:
Paid right around 40K for my 1996-T with around 45,000 miles May, 2014, bone stock except for some really fowl looking TSW rims, which I have since changed out for some fat-fives until I get around to putting on the correct factory rims. Since owning, DC Sport Headers, ARK DT-S exhaust, Koni sport shocks, progressive springs, Brian's AC control module fix, new ignition switch, new CV boots, all new lug nuts, and wheel studs, new front chin scoop. Car now sits at 55K miles, and I could probably sell it for what I paid for it.

Paid right around 40K for my 1996-T with around 45,000 miles May, 2014, bone stock except for some really fowl looking TSW rims, which I have since changed out for some fat-fives until I get around to putting on the correct factory rims. Since owning, DC Sport Headers, ARK DT-S exhaust, Koni sport shocks, progressive springs, Brian's AC control module fix, new ignition switch, new CV boots, all new lug nuts, and wheel studs, new front chin scoop. Car now sits at 55K miles, and I could probably sell it for what I paid for it.

you should read my post above (spoiler: you can get a lot more, unless salvage)

Give it time. Despite what some people may think, NSX prices haven't really picked up dramatically on the higher end (NA2), most of the big growth has been on the lower end - cars that were in the 20k range are now stable in the 30k range which is a big % jump. While there has been a modest uptick over the past 2 years, I wouldn't say it is anything to go crazy over.

Let me just leave this sales link as a sample of what "crazy" price increase looks like:
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?&listingId=413810832&Log=0

That's absurd.

HOLY SHIZ. OK. That's insane.

I didn't read any of the ad's details but I wonder if that's just his rear end number, which is the lowest number for which the owner would realistically consider selling his. Like rear ends, we all have one, and they're best kept to ourselves and shared only in private with certain people who you know won't laugh if you share it, especially if they're asking you to share it or are willing to show you theirs too. I think a number like that isn't crazy at all, as much as is the willingness to put it out there. :)

[MENTION=25046]Yinzer[/MENTION] LOL! That guy doesn't really want to let go of his car at that price.

Heck, I think I'll post mine up with a price of $eleventy billion and see if there are any takers. :)

23k in 04'. 1991 completely stock with 69k miles and immaculate condition.

Back