• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What on EARTH is going on with NSX prices right meow?

MCM, you definitely sold at the top, although muscle cars seem to be rebounding off the lows they hit during the recession.

Nothing would surprise me with regard to NSX prices going forward. I do think the release of the new NSX will have very little, if any impact on original (real?) NSX prices. Apples and oranges. And it's not like this event will result in more publicity for the original. The NSX has been getting TONS of press lately.

I bought my 94 10 yrs ago when word leaked they were being discontinued. I always wanted one
and thought prices would shoot up on the news. They didnt. So now folks are shocked they are going for
more than a new Camry? They shouldnt be. They were all pretty close to $100k cars when new.
Why should nice examples trade in the 20's or 30's? These have been the best deal out there for yrs.
Sounds like the world is finially catching up. Thats all.
I didnt buy my car to make a buck. I just thought the asking prices were too good to be true.
Nice examples in the low to mid 30's. Seemed as close to a cant loose situation as a person could find.
And it went on for years! Thats what was shocking......... To me anyway. :wink:

Your statement summed it up quite well for me, and I think that what you said is true to get a sports coupe (even if they are older)as well built and made as the NSX for a little more than new Camry $ or any new family sedan in the mid 30's or so, how can somebody go wrong with purchasing these cars with what they are getting?

Do you think naming conventions have any effect on perceived collectibility? For instance, if you notice, Ferrari doesn't have a nameplate that persists. 275SWB, 275LM, GTO, F40, F50, FXX, 308, 328, 348, 355, 360, F430, F458, etc., etc. Lamborghini does the same thing. Each new car has a new name. Aston-Martin is a mixed bag, DB4->DB5, etc., but Vanquish and Vantage persisted across years and gens. Or is it the product is 100% of the value (make a great car call it whatever, it's still a great car)?

Muscle cars seem to persist with strong brand names: Mustang, Camaro, Challenger. And then there is the venerable 911.

So long way of asking, do you think Honda was right in naming the new halo car NSX, or should the name NSX have been retired? Do you think the name contributes to the value of either the new or the original?

The last one I sold is well over 6 figures now.......... Not the top at all. :redface:
The old website floats along like a ghost ship......
http://www.corvetteforum.net/classics/396_rat/

MCM, you definitely sold at the top, although muscle cars seem to be rebounding off the lows they hit during the recession.

Nothing would surprise me with regard to NSX prices going forward. I do think the release of the new NSX will have very little, if any impact on original (real?) NSX prices. Apples and oranges. And it's not like this event will result in more publicity for the original. The NSX has been getting TONS of press lately.

Last edited:
The last one I sold is well over 6 figures now.......... Not the top at all. :redface:
The old website floats along like a ghost ship......
http://www.corvetteforum.net/classics/396_rat/

Well, yeah. A 35 L78 Vette hardtop-only with power windows and with that provenience??? I doubt it ever went down once it hit bottom back in the 60s. What a great car. The pics on the web site are terrific, too.

- - - Updated - - -

Hssssssss...They should call it Top Prices USA LLC! Funny, too, because some of the better deals I have run across on exotics have been in south FL.

I think the NSX has been undervalued for some time.
Where else can you find an aluminum mid-engined reliable sports car for the price of an NSX?

When prices were so low a few years back many younger owners were able to buy them
A lot of the new owners proceeded to modify their cars, quite radically in some cases.
Many of those modified cars cannot easily be brought back to OEM condition.

So the remaining stock/near stock units has dwindled.
As the excellence of the NSX has become more evident over time, it seems a new kind of buyer is appearing looking for good quality stock/near stock examples.
These stock/near stock units are still a bargain and I can't see anything but appreciating prices in the future.

I think the highly modified units will trade in their own market amongst the younger buyers.
I'd be surprised if these NSX's did anything but go down in value.
I've noted many highly modified examples on Prime and eBay not sell at or near the asking prices.
While the asking prices may reflect the costs of the modifications, the younger market segment they appeal to don't seem to be willing (or able) to pay the high asking levels.

I'm in that situation where I feel like I missed the boat with both the housing market and the NSX market. Jumped into a house right after values started to come up, so my mortgage wound up being about $300 more than it would have been a year earlier (but I didn't have the wherewithal at that time). My goal after getting into a house was to plan for the NSX, but with the prices having doubled in the last few years (and no real way to know if they will ever come down), I wonder if I will ever own one. I have to weigh the issues of an aging car (that I would buy because I want to drive it A LOT) versus the appreciating value, which is only relevant if I wanted to sell the car, which would not be in the plans.

Of course then there's the fact that there are a lot of "molested" NSXs out there that come up for sale that were modified to the previous owner's tastes. And when the appearance of the car is messed with, it often turns out to be one of those "well, it's my car and I like it" deals. So if I wound up buying one of those, I'd have to put out more money on the back end just un-doing all the "silly" looking mods on the car (****ing Type-R wing... grumble, grumble... :D )

Income has been doing well lately, and hopefully that will continue (or improve, even). If so, I may pick up the NSX some day down the road. But for now, it really seems way out of reach. As has been mentioned earlier, the new NSX may affect the value of the old one, and I'm hoping it brings the prices back down to where I can grab one that is low enough in price that I can afford to drive it daily (or nearly daily) and all the upkeep that implies. Fingers crossed.

I am in a similar predicament, was very close nabbing a NSX back in 2008 when prices were reasonable. Today, even early model examples with relatively high mileage are out of question for me. I can only hope the new NSX receives high accolades to possibly counter current market price back down to where they were previously.

I am in a similar predicament, was very close nabbing a NSX back in 2008 when prices were reasonable. Today, even early model examples with relatively high mileage are out of question for me. I can only hope the new NSX receives high accolades to possibly counter current market price back down to where they were previously.

As an owner who would not like to see NSX prices drop, I rather hope your wish goes unfulfilled. I hope instead that your income doubles in the next year or two so you can get a nice NSX at a price that you will then be able to easily afford.

As an owner who would not like to see NSX prices drop, I rather hope your wish goes unfulfilled. I hope instead that your income doubles in the next year or two so you can get a nice NSX at a price that you will then be able to easily afford.

Wow that's one of the nicest posts I have ever read.i agree lol

Wouldn't it be nice!

I find myself wondering whether I'd be willing to pay $40k for a 23-year old car with 150,000 miles on the clock, knowing that I'd have to sink another $20k (minimum) to make it worth the original $40k I spent on it.

There isn't much in the new car market that piques my interest, although the C7--even the base model--is pretty tempting. Other than that, the NSX is the "only" car for me, really... just not sure I can live with the sting if prices don't ever come down. For a pristine example, I'd be willing to drop $40k on an NSX, even a 91. But it would have to be tip-top for me to pull the trigger at that price. On the other hand, if they continue to hold value, it's not exactly a "loss" as I could just sell it (possibly at a profit) if I felt it was not worthwhile in retrospect.

1) don't buy a new corvette unless you enjoy seeing your car depreciate 30% a year wether you drive it a lot or baby it in a garage. Just wait 4-5 years and pick a C7 with any options you want for well under $30k, there will be 100s on autotrader for you to choose from.

2) you're being a little pessimistic with NSX prices, I've seen very good examples for around $35,000. Will need very little maintenance and will hold value.

Its kind of a new thing for Japanese cars. A few Classic cars from Japan are selling for over their original price, but not many.
Datsun comes to mind, 1600/2000 510's, 240Z'S etc. In the car world, depreciating then going back up to the sticker price is not that big of a trick. So don't be too surprised if / when it happens. I am not saying it will, just that its not at all un common. And with the numbers produced on the NSX, demand could quickly out strip supply. With such a small number built it could happen in a flash. Or not at all. Time will tell. :wink:

I'd say more than any single factor, the reason NSX prices are appreciating so rapidly is the very limited supply of clean, unmolested, low mileage cars.

since I purchased my 2002 Imola back in September, I've been contacted by several interested buyers willing to take it off my hands immediately.

if you want one, probably sooner than later is the time to buy...

1) don't buy a new corvette unless you enjoy seeing your car depreciate 30% a year wether you drive it a lot or baby it in a garage. Just wait 4-5 years and pick a C7 with any options you want for well under $30k, there will be 100s on autotrader for you to choose from.

2) you're being a little pessimistic with NSX prices, I've seen very good examples for around $35,000. Will need very little maintenance and will hold value.

Well, in reality, I don't buy new cars at all, anyway. What I meant was that since 2005, there has not been a new car released that has interested me at all, save for the C7.

The same thing is happening to the 240sx. Limited production and almost all of them are modified. There are completely stock 97' 240sx selling for more than highly modified turbocharged examples.
In fact I just sold a 97' with 62,000 original miles for 9k. A couple of years ago that was a $4500 car.

Updated Hagerty valuation Jan 15... Interesting swing in 2nd condition cars, didnt expect to see thishttp://www.hagerty.com/valuationtools/HVT/VehicleSearch/Report?vbe=18297

Updated Hagerty valuation Jan 15... Interesting swing in 2nd condition cars, didnt expect to see thishttp://www.hagerty.com/valuationtools/HVT/VehicleSearch/Report?vbe=18297

Most likely an unusual auction price that created an outlier. With the small number of cars trading hands it isn't surprising to see this happen.

Looks to me like the big drop you mention is just a correction to an over-value shown for the August number. The spike could have been the result of a data entry error.

I checked all the other years and models Hagerty lists, from 91 through 2001, and not a single price on any model (coupe/targa/manual/auto) in any condition class has been changed from the August values. Looks to me like Hagerty didn't have any decent data on fall/winter sales. I say this because I've been tracking pre-97 prices on Prime pretty closely and they seem to be trending up in the last six months, especially on mid-mileage (70-99K) 91s through 93s.

I'm going to check out 911 prices next since they seem to be the bell cows for semi-exotics.

- - - Updated - - -

Hmmm. Maybe the market is in a bit of a doldrum this fall/winter. The dramatic rise in 911S prices over the last couple years has tapered off or stopped altogether.

I just bought mine 2 weeks ago... a 91 with some good mods, hence not stock... great condition but not perfect, relatively average miles (101k miles), mechanically excellent and well maintained. It's a Canadian car and so I purchased it in Canadian $ at low Ca$30's. I believe, with the current exchange rate at 0.85 I paid market value. I wanted one and there weren't many to choose from in my area. I am happy with it!

I think prices will be heading south soon. The market is not looking positive. Gas is dropping. I've always considered the NSX an inertia buy - in that it depends on the popularity of the other classic cars in that price range. Most notable being 964 911s. As those prices rise, people get priced out and look at other cars... and even though some people would argue that an NSX is different than a 911 - to the mind of someone looking for a blue chip classic car - they're not that far off. I suspect this Jan to March will be bad for NSX prices.

NSX prices in Australia have jumped about $15,000 over the past 12-months. At the moment you could expect to pay $75,000 for a good Australian delivered car with under 100,000 kilometres on the clock. In fact there is currently only one car for sale in Australia and it is a Japanese import with an asking price of $75,000.

The current Unique Cars magazine suggests that the NSX is still a good investment, especially a manual coupe. Obviously it is a supply and demand issue and many cars change hands in Australia before they are even advertised. There are no other "supercars" you could own that would cost as little to maintain as the NSX. Needless to say, I would argue that we could only expect increases in prices or at worst stagnate.

...I checked all the other years and models Hagerty lists, from 91 through 2001... I'm going to check out 911 prices next since they seem to be the bell cows for semi-exotics. Hmmm. Maybe the market is in a bit of a doldrum this fall/winter. The dramatic rise in 911S prices over the last couple years has tapered off or stopped altogether.

I sold 2 classics and cancelled my related coverage with Hagerty late last year. To my surprise not a single question as to the selling price. Very disappointing, as this was always one of their supposed reasons for having such a good data base of prices. Not sure how much I trust the Hagerty numbers anymore. I wonder now if they just regurgitate auction results.

I feel like I probably paid a bit too much for mine, but I don't care. I own an NSX now.

Back