• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What should I do???

It is another type of what should I do questions again... I know majority of you are thinking why these people couldn't decide where they spend their money. I do agree. However, people are indecisive when they don't have too much money but they have so many interest.

I just want to start a thread to see what you guys think....

I am in a decision of either getting a 6-spd tranny and CTSC for my NSX, buy a '88 E30 M3 for 14K and rebuild the engine for about 10K, or just spend it on a $40K watch. It is tough because I live in LA, and I can hardly drive over 65mph. I feel crime when i drive over 70mph because of the slow drivers here. So i don't know if it's necessary to get a CTSC.

As for the E30 M3, it's a really nice car (exterior) and perform on the track nicely. Like NSX, E30M3 is a collector's car and it's appreciating. It is not going to be as fast a the nsx even if i put rebuild the car to 285hp. But it's just a different experience.

As for the watch, it's purely for an investment. What's more to say... to hedge the weak dollar.

Please let me know what you think... it might not help me decide, but I want to know what NSX ppl think of the E30M3 and how you would compare that car with the CTSC. Let me know... thanks

Here are my thoughts:

- The E30 M3 is a kick ass car. Compared to a CTSC NSX, it is what it is....... You can try to compare the 2 but imo they are waaaaay too different. You could argue in either direction.....

-If you rarely drive faster than 70 mph because you are afraid of getting caught speeding then you probably don't need a CTSC. I'm in a similar situation and have had enough "close calls" with the police to put a stop to all of my fast driving, locally at least. If you plan on tracking it and/or doing a lot of regular back road driving (Mulholland Hwy) then go for it, that's what I do.....

- There are very very very very few watches that can be considered "investments." If you know what you're buying then go for it. Otherwise there are better ways to invest your money. If you really want a nice watch just buy what you like and wear it. Rolexes hold up very well to daily wear and tear, and don't lose any value, over time that is.

- If you would like to hedge against the weak dollar you can open up an account with a forex broker and buy other currencies. Oanda is a good one.....

If you can afford it buy whatever you want with your money because YOU like it. Don't worry about what other people think. Here is my honest opinion: nobody except for YOU will care whether you have an NSX, CTSC, E30 M3, $40k watch etc..... Anybody who tells you otherwise is WRONG!

I am in a decision of either getting a 6-spd tranny and CTSC for my NSX, buy a '88 E30 M3 for 14K and rebuild the engine for about 10K, or just spend it on a $40K watch. It is tough because I live in LA, and I can hardly drive over 65mph. I feel crime when i drive over 70mph because of the slow drivers here. So i don't know if it's necessary to get a CTSC.

You're joking right? Why would anyone in their right mind buy a 20 year old ugly POS German car? Spending $40K on a watch is just as asinine.

So let's deal with your best option. Investing the money towards your current NSX.

First of all, forget the stupid supercharger. It will end up giving you more headaches than a NYC Jewish Princess with chronic yeast infections and a maxxed out credit card. Big whoopdie doo anyway...for all that money you get a whopping 90 HP and a death sentence for your motor.

Spend the money on a big bore NA solution. Call Chris at Science of Speed and let him explain your options to you. That type of engine mated to a tranny with the short gears and a 4.23 R&P will give your car an exhilirating new feel. If you feel the need for more speed later on, you have the proper motor to add FI to later on. Again, discuss this with Chris because if FI is in your plans, the build of the motor will be affected.

I'd also look into upgrading your suspension with coilovers and stiffer swaybars.

You should also consult with Mike Alcalde of MCA Motorsports at 305-251-5095.

Mike is going to build me a motor from a spare '92 engine I have in my garage. It will be a NA 450 - 500 beast from Hell when it's done. I also have a spare '93 motor if anyone is interested. PM me.

Consult with these two experts and then re-think how you want to spend your money. You can tell them that Hugh sent you.

I'm still chuckling at the Bimmer and watch options. Put the mushrooms away my friend. :)

First of all, forget the stupid supercharger. It will end up giving you more headaches than a NYC Jewish Princess with chronic yeast infections and a maxxed out credit card. Big whoopdie doo anyway...for all that money you get a whopping 90 HP and a death sentence for your motor.

Huh?

You're joking right? Why would anyone in their right mind buy a 20 year old ugly POS German car? Spending $40K on a watch is just as asinine.

So let's deal with your best option. Investing the money towards your current NSX.

Spend the money on a big bore NA solution. Call Chris at Science of Speed and let him explain your options to you. That type of engine mated to a tranny with the short gears and a 4.23 R&P will give your car an exhilirating new feel. If you feel the need for more speed later on, you have the proper motor to add FI to later on. Again, discuss this with Chris because if FI is in your plans, the build of the motor will be affected.

I'd also look into upgrading your suspension with coilovers and stiffer swaybars.

You should also consult with Mike Alcalde of MCA Motorsports at 305-251-5095.

Mike is going to build me a motor from a spare '92 engine I have in my garage. It will be a NA 450 - 500 beast from Hell when it's done. I also have a spare '93 motor if anyone is interested. PM me.

Consult with these two experts and then re-think how you want to spend your money. You can tell them that Hugh sent you.

I'm still chuckling at the Bimmer and watch options. Put the mushrooms away my friend. :)

I agree 10k is allot of money for 60hp(low boost) - 90hp(high Boost) SC...But Stupid???? Honda might have been "stupid" for it not coming with the SC and the mods you listed...Buying an SC NSX has been my best car buy exp...As to the motor---20k with SC and no MOtor Issues....You might be right though...My eng may last to only 200k miles with the SC, instead of 350k without. Maybe by time I am 50, i will have driven it 50k more miles... All in all...a 1990 Honda CRX can get you a speeding ticket...

P.S. 60 hp does make a world of difference on a light car....But 10k.....is still 10k (avg).....If your tranny is fine just do the short gears...

I've been in the jewelry business for over 50yrs. Unless you can buy the watch for way under the wholesale price ,forget it as an investment, as far as that goes, forget all three as investments. Buy it ,use it, enjoy it. The pleasure you get from these things is your reward.

I've been in the jewelry business for over 50yrs. Unless you can buy the watch for way under the wholesale price ,forget it as an investment, as far as that goes, forget all three as investments. Buy it ,use it, enjoy it. The pleasure you get from these things is your reward.

Live your life by these words and i'll bet you'll have fewer regrets. Every time i buy a new toy i try and NOT think about it as an investment because if i do i only drive myself crazy with how foolish an investment it was. If i just enjoy it and forget about what i spent on it vs what its worth ... i am allot happier.

P.S. I spent around $5k on my Rolex (yes its real) and people drool all over it every time i wear it. I would think $40k on a watch would put you in the hip hop jewelry category and just look silly and fake imo.

Put the $40K in a CD until you figured out what you really want (NSX or E30M3).

By the way, how much is a new 6-spd tranny cost from the dealership now? Last time I check from the cheapest dealership (parts dept), they charged $4100, did the price went up? Thanks

Id go with the watch. You live in LA. Got to fit in! :biggrin:

I can't imagine anyone even contemplating spending $40k on a watch.:eek:

I have a friend with a $3 Million watch collection. The most expensive one is worth $300K.

Of course, like anything in life, money is all relative. His watch collection only represents a very small percentage of his net worth.

I still think it's ridiculous.

Can we see pics of this $40K watch please?

Just get a nice watch that will run you $3-4K and spend the rest on the NSX! There's really no reason to drop that kind of loot on a watch that can be very easily lost or stolen.

I never wear watches as I hate being reminded of what time it is constantly. If I need to know what time it is, I'm quick to find that there are half a dozen clocks within sight. (cell phone, computer etc)..

I say Mod the NSX! :)

Having going down the direction you are thinking this is what happen to me.

Purchase car with Headers, 4.23, short gears, lightweight flywheel. Car feels awesome. short gears are fun around town.

Later on added the CTSC bump up the fun factor even more.

Having driven a stock nsx recently. My note to myself wow this is like an regular car :tongue: .

I don't see the point in rebuilding an engine when it is still working and running strong.

With CTSC setup and modified tranny (be it 6speed or 5speed short gears), you can alway rebuild motor later. Then you can be like Kip Olson 3.5L w/CTSC. Then you can say I am bore, stroke and blown :biggrin: .

Just my .02
Danny

Last edited:
You could buy the attached watch, use $40,000 as a downpayment, and take out a loan for $511,000 to cover the rest of the purchase price.:smile:

I have a couple of watches myself and to be honest, additional watches I buy add almost nothing to my quality of life. I like them, but I somehow get more satisfaction out of money and time spent on my NSX. If you sell a Rolex or Patek Philippe, you won't lose nearly as much money as you would selling used tuning parts for a car. But the tuning parts give more enjoyment, to me at least.

If you're unsure what to do, maybe none of the three options will really increase your level of happiness. If that's the case, I agree with slamstrom, invest in some financial instrument until you know what you really want. There are a lot of options how to hedge against the falling dollar.

Attachments

• Patek Philippe Ref. 1518 yellow gold USD 551,000.jpg
    Patek Philippe Ref. 1518 yellow gold USD 551,000.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 25
Back