• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

When people ask you what you drive...

The funny thing is when I was in my twenties and I had my first NSX, the black one, I let pride get the better of me (you know, a new NSX at the age of 26 can make you do that, I guess) and I'd go out of my way to let people know I had an NSX. I'd even deliberately put the titanium NSX key on the table in the hope that someone would see it and ask me about it. But then you get older and your perspective on things changes. Sometimes, I look back at the old me (er...or is that the young me?) and I laugh at what a fool I was.

Life is so much better when you realize what's really important.

I kind of have mixed feelings about this...on the one hand I want to be humble and not say much...but on the other hand I want to tell everyone. However, the "tell everyone" is not for ego but rather because I am so passionate about the NSX (and cars in general) that I want people to know what it is and be excited about the nsx and all cars. Sometimes when someone asks me what I'm passionate about I say my car--knowing full well that if I say my NSX, they will have know Idea what it is. Half the time when I tell people that I have an NSX and they respond with "oh", or "really, that's nice" because I'm pretty sure they are mistaking what I am saying for something completely different. I usually feel the need to explain but dont always do so.

TigerNSX said:
I was just with a friend who works at a BMW dealer, and he asked me what I drove.

"NSX."
"Oh, it's Nissan, right?"
"Actually, it's Acura."
"Oh, yah... what year?"
"It's 95."
"Man.. it's old.. time to get a new car?"
"It's not too bad.. it still runs. I only got it a year ago."
"How much did you pay for it?"
I told him what I paid for the car.
"What??? You are a fool.. You paid that much for 95 Nissan?"
"Acura."
"Yeah.. whatever.. the seller totally screwed you over."
"I guess..."
"Man.. can't believe you paid that much for 95 Nissan."
"Uh... Acura."

I cannot wait till he sees my car in spring.
:eek: :D

This is really odd. For some strange reason, a lot of people seem to think that the NSX is a Nissan. One time, I was in a taxi and we saw an NSX next to us, the cab driver said, "wow, look at that Nissan, that's pretty nice." On another occasion, I was waiting to pick up my wife from work and hopped out to get a stored-value parking meter smartcard from the 7-Eleven across the street. When I came back to the car, a father and son were looking at the car and I distinctly overheard the father say to the son, "that's the new Nissan".

I guess it doesn't help that Nissan actually had a model called the NX.

Attachments

• 263349_12_full.jpg
    263349_12_full.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 1,505
Lazarus said:
The funny thing is when I was in my twenties and I had my first NSX, the black one, I let pride get the better of me (you know, a new NSX at the age of 26 can make you do that, I guess) and I'd go out of my way to let people know I had an NSX. I'd even deliberately put the titanium NSX key on the table in the hope that someone would see it and ask me about it. But then you get older and your perspective on things changes. Sometimes, I look back at the old me (er...or is that the young me?) and I laugh at what a fool I was.

We all can relate to this, including me. Being humble will come with age.

Puzzled

I have to say that I am puzzled why everyone is so casual about owning an NSX? Part of the responsibility of owning an NSX should be to help educate the great unwashed masses. No wonder people don't know what the NSX is...you all keep saying it is a Prelude or Civic! If someone happens to ask and has not seen the car, then I tell them I drive an Acura NSX. 0f course some people confuse it with my Acura MDX, that I also love! when they tell me how much the like the sport utility vehicles, I always agree and say that "yes, I love the MDX too" but the NSX is Acura's hand made exotic sports car. At least they don't think it is a Corvette. I do like my choice of black rather than the yellow that I had before. People seem to ask what it is less than in yellow. I figure that it is so imposing in black that people don't want to ask. :)

Re: Puzzled

G-man said:
I have to say that I am puzzled why everyone is so casual about owning an NSX? Part of the responsibility of owning an NSX should be to help educate the great unwashed masses. No wonder people don't know what the NSX is...you all keep saying it is a Prelude or Civic! If someone happens to ask and has not seen the car, then I tell them I drive an Acura NSX. 0f course some people confuse it with my Acura MDX, that I also love! when they tell me how much the like the sport utility vehicles, I always agree and say that "yes, I love the MDX too" but the NSX is Acura's hand made exotic sports car. At least they don't think it is a Corvette. I do like my choice of black rather than the yellow that I had before. People seem to ask what it is less than in yellow. I figure that it is so imposing in black that people don't want to ask. :)

Dude,

I can't speak for everyone else; but, I would find it hard to be very humble if I owned not one but TWO NSXs!!! Not to mention the other cars you have!!!

Conversation's about my car seem to come up when sport car enthusiasts want to tell everyone and anyone they come across about the NSX. They always say "guess what kinda car he drives?" Then I get that Skeptical *whatever it is it can't be all that* stare.

I just answer a Honda and smile at my friend that knows the rest of the truth. He/She usually gets the idea and leaves it at that.

Personally, I am tired of the "NSX? Whats that?" reply. Whats worse, are those who have no clue what the NSX is and act as though they do.

Better just to keep it to yourself. When they spot your car on the road and ask the usual "Is that a corvette/Ferrari/Nissan/whatever?" questions, you just smile and say "nope, its a Honda"

Lazarus said:

It is funny, but I must have been some sort of odd ball, because when I got my first NSX (also Berlina Black) I was 22 years old and went out of my way to NOT tell people about it. I kept the car in the garage, so it was not outside for people to see, and I never told anyone I bought it. When I would meet new people and cars would come up I would just tell them I drove a Honda (my '90 Accord EX was other car) and leave it at that.

The funny things was that all of my friends when they found out I had the NSX would always introduce me at parties and gatherings as, 'This is Mitch. He has an NSX,' and that was my introduction. It was kind of embarassing because I did not want people to look at me like I was some sort of snot just because of my car. At that age people judge you all too quickly on things like that, and I did not like it.

The other thing was that most of my friends that were males would always say things like, 'Do you have any idea how many girls you could get with this car,' and I would say, 'No, I would not even want a girl that only liked me because of the car,' and they did not understand. I even had a rule that if I met a girl I would always drive my Accord the first several dates so that we were on even ground to get to know each other. 'Gold Digger' girls are not my kind of thing at all.

I enjoy my cars, and am proud to be an NSX owner. But being aloof has never been my thing. I think that subtle and dignified is better than flashy and obnoxious.

Re: Re: Puzzled

BladesNSX said:
Dude,

I can't speak for everyone else; but, I would find it hard to be very humble if I owned not one but TWO NSXs!!! Not to mention the other cars you have!!!

It is not that hard to do...just remember that cars are cars, and how many you have really has no impact on anything other than your own happiness. Someday I hope to get up to 3 or 4 NSXs and I will be the same as I am today. It is not really a big deal. :)

It is funny, but I must have been some sort of odd ball, because when I got my first NSX (also Berlina Black) I was 22 years old and went out of my way to NOT tell people about it. I kept the car in the garage, so it was not outside for people to see, and I never told anyone I bought it. When I would meet new people and cars would come up I would just tell them I drove a Honda (my '90 Accord EX was other car) and leave it at that.

The funny things was that all of my friends when they found out I had the NSX would always introduce me at parties and gatherings as, 'This is Mitch. He has an NSX,' and that was my introduction. It was kind of embarassing because I did not want people to look at me like I was some sort of snot just because of my car. At that age people judge you all too quickly on things like that, and I did not like it.

The other thing was that most of my friends that were males would always say things like, 'Do you have any idea how many girls you could get with this car,' and I would say, 'No, I would not even want a girl that only liked me because of the car,' and they did not understand. I even had a rule that if I met a girl I would always drive my Accord the first several dates so that we were on even ground to get to know each other. 'Gold Digger' girls are not my kind of thing at all.

I enjoy my cars, and am proud to be an NSX owner. But being aloof has never been my thing. I think that subtle and dignified is better than flashy and obnoxious.

Meeyatch1... you hit the nail on the head for me..... exactly what i am saying also...

except substitute "Red" for Berline Black....

substitute "Ray" for Mitch....

and substitute "Acura Integra" for honda accord.

Take care!
-Ray

NA1 #2853 said:
Meeyatch1... you hit the nail on the head for me..... exactly what i am saying also...

except substitute "Red" for Berline Black....

substitute "Ray" for Mitch....

and substitute "Acura Integra" for honda accord.

Take care!
-Ray

Thanks. Glad to see there is another person out there that is like this. :)

By the way...how do you like your Integra? I have a '96 GSR and love it.

hanks. Glad to see there is another person out there that is like this.

By the way...how do you like your Integra? I have a '96 GSR and love it.

I loved it..... I traded in my 1989 Corvette for my 1995 GSR, because a friend made me test drive it.... and i fell in love with the 8000rpm redline.... i thought i was a indy car driver!!!

But now i hate it.... its a paperweight i never drive anymore.... and i mean "paperweight" literally, 1700lbs, 610WHP ona Mustang Dyno. Carbonfiber, Lexan, Chromemoly......And a Parachute if shit gets too out of hand.

I will never build a race car again.... because you can only enjoy it when the track is open....:-(

Thats why my NSX is staying a daily driver....(but it helps that the T3/T04S from the integra is now on the NSX LOL!)

-Ray

Meeyatch1 said:

That is exactly what i wanted to say!! Thanks Meeyatch1

But i have a Civic SiR hb instead of an Accord

Ditto Mitch here too. I had an old Mazda (93 MX6) until it got totalled. I really miss that car, largely because people who were interested in you were just that, interested in you only.

NA1 #2853 said:
I loved it..... I traded in my 1989 Corvette for my 1995 GSR, because a friend made me test drive it.... and i fell in love with the 8000rpm redline.... i thought i was a indy car driver!!!

But now i hate it.... its a paperweight i never drive anymore.... and i mean "paperweight" literally, 1700lbs, 610WHP ona Mustang Dyno. Carbonfiber, Lexan, Chromemoly......And a Parachute if shit gets too out of hand.

I will never build a race car again.... because you can only enjoy it when the track is open....:-(

Thats why my NSX is staying a daily driver....(but it helps that the T3/T04S from the integra is now on the NSX LOL!)

-Ray

WOW!! My Integra sits as well, but it is still very much a street car. I am sure it will see at least 400 miles this year....maybe. :)

(*Sadly that is almost accurate. I am ALWAYS in the NSX.)

For me it depends on the context and the person asking the question.

On the TL boards I call it "my other 270 hp. Honda".

Before I got the TL, I used to call it the Acura. If somebody asked what kind of Acura I would usually tell them "an NSX". If they still don't know what it is, I may say something like "if you are thinking Integra, you are wrong, if you are thinking Japanese Ferrari, you are correct."

I don't know when I will 'mature' enough to call it "the old Honda". ;)

I drive an RL as my daily beater and keep the NSX around as my toy. When someone asks me what car I drive, I tell them that its an Acura. If they don't know what an Acura is, then I tell them its made by Honda.

If I'm meeting someone who doesn't know my car, I tell them to look for a yellow car.

Owning a Lotus has got to be even worst. :)

"What kind of car do you drive?"
"I drive a Lotus".
"Oh, who makes them?"
"Lotus"
"Yeah..., but who makes them?"
"Never mind, I drive a [my color] sportscar "

wctsao said:
Owning a Lotus has got to be even worst. :)

"What kind of car do you drive?"
"I drive a Lotus".
"Oh, who makes them?"
"Lotus"
"Never mind, I drive a [my color] sportscar "

LOL!! You must have had a Lotus, or you just got really lucky and guessed EXACTLY what people actually DO say when they see a Lotus. For about 2 years a friend of mine had a 1994 Lotus Esprit S4. When he bought a Ferrari, he let me drive his Lotus for about 3 or 4 months straight since he was 'bored' of it. Whenever I would park the car the conversation would almost ALWAYS go like this:

"What kind of car is that?"
"It is a Lotus".
"Oh, who makes them?"
"Lotus"
"Lotus"
"Oh....(pause for confusion) really, but who makes them?"
"Lotus does."
"Oh. Never heard of them."
"Have you ever seen the movie 'Pretty Woman'?
"Yes."
"Remember the car Julia Roberts drives at the beginning?"
"OH!!! YEAH!! Okay, now I know what it is. Corners on rails."
"Yep. That is the car."

I am 100% serious. I think almost every conversation I had with people seeing the car went just like that. I should have tape recorded them. It was frustrating to have to expain, but the 'Pretty Woman' reference would tip them off every time. It was great to watch their confusion though. :D

brahtw8 - 1995 eskimo white/pink?! whaahahahahaha.. too funny and sick at the same time

Love the discussion! On a related topic, what don't you like hearing the NSX called? For me, I could care less what they call it, but I can think of some things that less informed folks might say: "Prelude J-spec" "Civic with ground effects" "modified Corvette" "Fiero with Ferrari body kit" or "Mustang with slant nose body kit." Any other creative descriptions of the NSX you've heard or can create in your twisted minds?

GeNSX:p

GeNSX said:
brahtw8 - 1995 eskimo white/pink?! whaahahahahaha.. too funny and sick at the same time

Its been a while since somebody commented on that line in my sig. He actually has pink skin under the white fur, but most people probably think it is a reference to the fact that we are all "pink on the inside".

;)

GeNSX said:
Love the discussion! On a related topic, what don't you like hearing the NSX called? For me, I could care less what they call it, but I can think of some things that less informed folks might say: "Prelude J-spec" "Civic with ground effects" "modified Corvette" "Fiero with Ferrari body kit" or "Mustang with slant nose body kit." Any other creative descriptions of the NSX you've heard or can create in your twisted minds?

I always here, 'Nice Corvette' when I go through a drive-thru window. It annoys me, but is no big deal in the whole scheme of things. It is not my fault they are uninformed about what a true sports car is. :)

Meeyatch1 said:

I can't believe I'm not the only person like this and there are some that have admitted to it. Good to know I'm not alone. Another thing, I also drive the same type accord.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GeNSX-I can't believe your neighbor thought your NSX was a prelude (that sux, it doesn't even look like one) heck, over here they think it's a ferrari.

Back