• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

When people ask you what you drive...

Lazarus said:
This is really odd. For some strange reason, a lot of people seem to think that the NSX is a Nissan. One time, I was in a taxi and we saw an NSX next to us, the cab driver said, "wow, look at that Nissan, that's pretty nice." On another occasion, I was waiting to pick up my wife from work and hopped out to get a stored-value parking meter smartcard from the 7-Eleven across the street. When I came back to the car, a father and son were looking at the car and I distinctly overheard the father say to the son, "that's the new Nissan".

I guess it doesn't help that Nissan actually had a model called the NX.

It also doesnt help that the car has ACURA right on the back, people just never notice such things I guess :rolleyes:

GeneralChaos said:
It also doesnt help that the car has ACURA right on the back, people just never notice such things I guess :rolleyes:

There are a number of NSXs, mine included, that have had this logo removed. Still no excuse for calling it a Nissan, and chances are the car in question has the logo in place.

brahtw8 said:
There are a number of NSXs, mine included, that have had this logo removed. Still no excuse for calling it a Nissan, and chances are the car in question has the logo in place.

Yep, the original badges were (and still are) in place. So it's a bit of a mystery how anyone could have mistaken my car for a Nissan, especially up close. Anyway, it's always amusing when know-it-alls go out of their way to prove they know very little.

My fun is to see if people can deduce it from my hints:

-What kind of car do you drive?

--Humm! Just a more than 12 years old red Honda. I think I got screwed...Do you know about Hondas? Could you tell me?
( Sometime the person tells me to see the car and it is so fun to watch his reaction- usually they just can't believe the car isn't new! )

-Yeah a bit! A Civic? Body must be full rusted!

--No rust at all. Anywhere. :)

-Impossible you're lying or you did repaint it or you don't use it during winter and/or you shoot it with oil every year?

--It is not a Civic, I do not use it all year long and I never oil treated it nor repainted it but this car has no rust.

-Oh I see, you have a Prelude made with both side galvanized body panels...

--No. But I will give you a hint, it is the nicest Honda and a two seater redlining @ 8300 rpm.

-Now I am sure, it is a CRX!!! Yeah they're nice! Didn't know those little 4 bangers were that revving like hell...

--No, it's not a CRX, a CRX is redlining @ 7500 rpm or so, I really mean the nicest Honda and also a CRX can't get to the 170 mph mark though...nor get that stock midengine layout.

______This is were you separate kids from men.

If you speak with somebody who knows about the NSX you have that kind of reaction:

-( silence )... OMG NOT the...( totally amazed )...( can't dare to name it! ) You &"/±@er it's an Acura! But wait, it's &"/±@ing expensive!

:) I told you it was the nicest Honda, sorry that I forgot to tell you it was also the fastest!

If I speak with a person who doesn't know about the NSX sometimes I don't tell and let him find by himself:

--You don't see which Honda I am speaking of? So I dare you to find which one it is. Very easy, the only one made of full aluminum body having a rear midengine V6 engine producing 90 hp/L. Good luck!

Last summer me and my wife went to a family wedding party where most of my cousins didn't know that I own an NSX.

We were talking about patents ( I made a few... ) and I told my cousins if they would like to see something that needed more than 400 patents...

They were believing I was crazy while we were walking in the parking lot!

Until they saw the shiny red NSX alone...

Cheers every body!

effer

I usually respond with, 'an old Honda'. When I owned a Lexus, I would respond with, 'an old Toyota'. I do this because I want to be treated as some guy, not some guy with a fancy car.

W said:
I usually respond with, 'an old Honda'. When I owned a Lexus, I would respond with, 'an old Toyota'. I do this because I want to be treated as some guy, not some guy with a fancy car.

That's an admirable attitude. Kudos.

Lazarus said:
Which brings up an interesting point...did Honda actively seek out this segment of the car-buying public (the understated, discerning sports car enthusiast who appreciates the precision and engineering of an IWC watch, who thinks diamond-encrusted Rolexes are utterly vulgar, but doesn't want to project the air of aloofness you see in a Patek Philippe or an Aston Martin), or was it this group of people who finally found, in the NSX, what they were looking for all these years?

That's an interesting idea. I currently drive a Legend for the same reasons it seems many people here own NSXs ~ they love the overall package that Honda has meticulously engineered into the cars, and regardless of the power figures or "on-paper" performance, you NSX owners love your cars just the same. Of course the Legend happens to weigh about 600lbs more and lays the "luxury" on a lot thicker than the "sport," but I too love my car for its subtlety and what it does for me vs. what it does for passerby.

The NSX is becoming increasingly interesting to me because it offers the same kind of subtlety that my Legend now does ~ that sort of hush-hush performance blanketed in a car that is elegant only upon closer inspection. Well that, multiplied by sport thirty times over :D

"What do you drive?"
Oh it's a Honda.
"Accord? Civic?"
Something like that.
"WOW that is a really nice car. I thought you said it was a Honda? What a beautiful Legend."

Perhaps one day, an NSX.

FF Drifter said:
That's an interesting idea. I currently drive a Legend for the same reasons it seems many people here own NSXs ~ they love the overall package that Honda has meticulously engineered into the cars, and regardless of the power figures or "on-paper" performance, you NSX owners love your cars just the same. Of course the Legend happens to weigh about 600lbs more and lays the "luxury" on a lot thicker than the "sport," but I too love my car for its subtlety and what it does for me vs. what it does for passerby.

The NSX is becoming increasingly interesting to me because it offers the same kind of subtlety that my Legend now does ~ that sort of hush-hush performance blanketed in a car that is elegant only upon closer inspection. Well that, multiplied by sport thirty times over :D

"What do you drive?"
Oh it's a Honda.
"Accord? Civic?"
Something like that.
"WOW that is a really nice car. I thought you said it was a Honda? What a beautiful Legend."

Perhaps one day, an NSX.

What a coincidence. I also have a Legend, a '94 Black that I bought new and which only has about 24,000 km on it. It's in absolutely mint condition. I love the lines on this car, especially the long hood and way the front wheels are pushed out towards the very corners, creating a long wheelbase.

Actually, I much prefer the old model names for the Acuras, like the Legend, Saber (equivalent to your TS), Integra. It seems so silly for Honda to change to the alpha-numeric system now being used just to encourage people to say they drive "an Acura", instead of referring to their cars by model name. It seems so "me too", as though they emulate the Germans and Lexus. I mean, people will say what they want to say.

Anyway, do hope you get yourself an NSX. You won't be disappointed.

With the NSX, I always say "Acura" and hope they dont find it necessary to ask which model. Oddly though, with the Corvette, I always would say "Corvette" and then kind of cringe since, inevitably, it would be an issue one way or the other (either great enthusiasm or obvious envy). I think I would feel weird saying "Chevy" because if they found out the Vette, it would seem facetious that I had tried to hide it. With the NSX, it doesnt feel that way. I guess this is because the Corvette has risen way above the Chevy name while the NSX is still pretty low key.

Lazarus said:
Whenever the topic of cars comes up amongst people I meet in social settings and they ask me what I drive, I always tell them I drive a Honda. I don't mention anything about it being an NSX. I make no allusions to it being a sports car. I just tell them matter-of-factly that I drive a Honda. The reaction I usually get is, "oh, a Honda, great car, very reliable, good on gas, Accord or Civic?" I usually respond by saying, "yeah, something like that." And then when the gathering's over and the people disperse, inevitably a couple of those whom I had spoken to about my car being a Honda will see me getting into the NSX and it's quite amusing watching the expressions on their faces.

What do you guys tell people you drive?

I say An Acura *~*~

I'm with the rest of the gang here: "Just another Honda."

...depends on the situation, for the most part, "...yeah, they make awsome reliable little cars....love 'em!"

--
George

I say Duramax Crew Cab to my buddies with trucks (you know us guys with big trucks have an inferiority complex!) To others I say Chevy or Chevy truck. The NSX only comes up if I am talking to someone who would appreciate what it is, which is not very often.

last summer i was on my way home from work a guy pulls up in a S500 and ask me "what kind of a kit car is That?" and i told him it's a Honda

Last edited:
Back