• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Why do people think that Honda/Acura invented VTEC?

If you mean "perfect" as in reliability, yes they did get V-tec to run reliably all these years. But if you are talking about "perfect" in the performance sense, No they didn't, because BMW's Double Vanos leaves "V-Tec" and even "i-Vtec" in the dust.

Yeah your right Vanos failure is common on BMWs

Would a Vanos failure completely disable the vehicle? Or would it be like Vtec, where if it didn't work/kick in, the regular cam lobes would still be operable?

Would a Vanos failure completely disable the vehicle? Or would it be like Vtec, where if it didn't work/kick in, the regular cam lobes would still be operable?

most of the time it just sticks and jacks up the idle to where the car can't idle on its own... can stall the car if the temps aren't high enough outside... it can also destroy your cats and sometimes the topside of the motor... its a pretty stirring topic on the BMW boards... (girlfriend wants a M3 so I get to read up on the fun little quirks ahead of time)...

couldn't we have started a more important thread... like 'Why do people think that a RX-7has a 1.3L engine in it' :rolleyes:

More like...

stalloned.jpg

:biggrin:

couldn't we have started a more important thread... like 'Why do people think that a RX-7has a 1.3L engine in it' :rolleyes:

That would imply we care:wink:

How much people care is determined by:

1. how many views the thread receives

2. how many replies

Actually chief I was refering to the fact that most of us don't care that people call the rotary a 1.3l:biggrin:

Actually chief I was refering to the fact that most of us don't care that people call the rotary a 1.3l:biggrin:

oh yea, just like how you guys *supposedly* don't care that the rx-7 is lighter, faster with disputedly better handling. oh but of course it always has its reliability problems and that is always on top of the list. sorry but the post has already gone off topic because people just started bashing the rx7 like they've got some inferiority complex. sorry but if at any random moment in time where the rx-7 is lined up against the nsx, my money is going to the rx7. its amazing how people on prime claim that they don't recongnize the nsx for straight speed performance and that Ferrari owners are ignorant and condescending, yet few prime members will give the performance nod and only in terms of performance to the rx7. its a double standard and its hypocritical. i wonder how the people who bashed the rx7 earlier in this thread TRULY feel once they line up next to an rx7. are you truly that non-objective when it comes to raw performance? or do you just casually play if off stating the cliche "i dont need to prove anything in my nsx"... knowing what would have happened if you even merely think of pulling a fast one against the rival rx7. Theres a reason why the rx7 is widely stated to be disputedly the best pure bred performance car from Japan. WHILE i do very much feel that the nsx is the better overall car, there isnt A SINGLE performance category where the nsx *outclasses* the rx7 and you know it, you just pretend not to. and all this is pivotal when it comes to modding potential of the two cars where gee guess who wins. And if you relate this to a larger picture, imo the rx-7 and the supra are the last previous gen supercars that can hold up against these new hefty cars that have been coming out eg. evo etc. sorry i just can't throw the nsx in that mix and you can't say that its truly painless when some punk smokes you in an evo.

and looks wise, just because a car is beautiful, which the nsx DEFINITELY is, does not automatically make it timeless. If you want to speak about time, when was the last time a PRIME member said the NSX reeks of the 90's because of its wedge shape and geometric features, as other people have stated. not that the nsx isnt beautiful, its just using the word "timeless" overwhemingly out of context is what we call "bias".
The rx7 on the other hand imo is more timeless because of its more rounded features which is remeniscent of and looks better than porsches today and any modern day Japanese sports car.

sorry for the rant, its just directed at people who come off as really arrogant and condescending and pretty much disrespectful to what i feel is such an iconic car. regardless of how you feel about BATMAN. its a shame that the rx7 was intially put in the hands of ignorant owners and eventually passed on; it never really got respect in the states. although the rx7 requires more care and attention, the rotor community is MUCH more knowledgeable now, and they know what they're doing, its just they have to work with whatever is left.

again sorry for the rant folks.

oh yea, just like how you guys *supposedly* don't care that the rx-7 is lighter, faster with disputedly better handling.

Faster than what? I've never seen a stock RX7 do 0-60 in less than 5 secs or a 1/4 mile in high 12 low 13's. So learn your facts before you start trying to make statements about things you apparently don't know.

oh but of course it always has its reliability problems and that is always on top of the list. sorry but the post has already gone off topic because people just started bashing the rx7 like they've got some inferiority complex. sorry but if at any random moment in time where the rx-7 is lined up against the nsx, my money is going to the rx7.

We say the same thing about Ferraris. What good is anything if it's broke down or always in the shop. Apparently some of you RX7 guys are the ones with inferiority complexes and if you doubt this just check some of if not all of Batmans posts. You have all of one post on prime so you must be one of Batmans "little friends" from some RX7 board coming to his defense not once understanding that this post started as yet another of his attempts at belittling Honda or the NSX. Oh and as far as bashing something we can bash anything like on "our" board. We don't go to RX7 boards and belittle their cars or start threads claiming that Mazda didn't invent the rotary which it didn't.

its amazing how people on prime claim that they don't recongnize the nsx for straight speed performance and that Ferrari owners are ignorant and condescending, yet few prime members will give the performance nod and only in terms of performance to the rx7. its a double standard and its hypocritical. i wonder how the people who bashed the rx7 earlier in this thread TRULY feel once they line up next to an rx7.

Only people on prime saying the NSX isn't faster than the RX7 is Batmans and you Mr Andrew. Also no I don't give the nod to the RX7 as being a better performer. I've no problem lining up next to an RX7 and would feel the same way if I was "lined up next to one".

are you truly that non-objective when it comes to raw performance? or do you just casually play if off stating the cliche "i dont need to prove anything in my nsx"... knowing what would have happened if you even merely think of pulling a fast one against the rival rx7. Theres a reason why the rx7 is widely stated to be disputedly the best pure bred performance car from Japan.

Oh my goodness "pulling something with the rival RX7" what are you smoking apex seals? For some strange reason some of you not all think the RX7 is the sheriff that regulates all other cars puh-lease. "Widely stated" ..LOL By who RX7 owners????? LOL You must be high or joking??? Whats so pure bred??? It's got pw , pl , sunroof , A/C , rear defroster etc. How is that pure bred? What just because they used cheaper materials ( i.e an oil dipstick that looks like a hair strand ) to save weight. At least use rational arguments for your justification. Absolutely ludicrous

WHILE i do very much feel that the nsx is the better overall car, there isnt A SINGLE performance category where the nsx *outclasses* the rx7 and you know it, you just pretend not to.

0-60 1/4 mile. Have you absolutely no clue that they made a 290hp model???

and all this is pivotal when it comes to modding potential of the two cars where gee guess who wins. And if you relate this to a larger picture, imo the rx-7 and the supra are the last previous gen supercars that can hold up against these new hefty cars that have been coming out eg. evo etc. sorry i just can't throw the nsx in that mix and you can't say that its truly painless when some punk smokes you in an evo.

Stock EVO isn't faster than a stock NA2 NSX they post very similar numbers and I've never been smoked by an EVO. Also why do EVO owners have to be punks? Is it because they don't own an RX7???? Also what about the 300ZX TT? It's 0-60 times are the same as the RX7 and it's just as moddable. Z's put down better hp numbers than RX7's so why is it you exclude them. Also note that the Z put down the same numbers as the RX7 while being 600lbs heavier with "only" 50hp more. Sounds to me like Nissan did a better job as their car had just as much performance ,but also had comfort and reliability. How is that the RX7 wins the mod game when a supercharged NSX puts down more hp than an RX7 with intake ,chip and exhaust. Don't get me started on Turbo NSX's. The RX7 starts out at a deficit as w/o a turbo it's not worth mentioning you need FI to keep up with the competiton NSX doesn't. You honestly don't know anything about anything other than the RX7 do you? Amazing:confused:

and looks wise, just because a car is beautiful, which the nsx DEFINITELY is, does not automatically make it timeless. If you want to speak about time, when was the last time a PRIME member said the NSX reeks of the 90's because of its wedge shape and geometric features, as other people have stated. not that the nsx isnt beautiful, its just using the word "timeless" overwhemingly out of context is what we call "bias".
The rx7 on the other hand imo is more timeless because of its more rounded features which is remeniscent of and looks better than porsches today and any modern day Japanese sports car.

You know bias believe me:wink:

sorry for the rant, its just directed at people who come off as really arrogant and condescending and pretty much disrespectful to what i feel is such an iconic car. regardless of how you feel about BATMAN. its a shame that the rx7 was intially put in the hands of ignorant owners and eventually passed on; it never really got respect in the states. although the rx7 requires more care and attention, the rotor community is MUCH more knowledgeable now, and they know what they're doing, its just they have to work with whatever is left.

It's okay as long as you feel better now.

Meet BATMANs alter ego, folks. :rolleyes:

oh yea, just like how you guys *supposedly* don't care that the rx-7 is lighter, faster with disputedly better handling. oh but of course it always has its reliability problems and that is always on top of the list. sorry but the post has already gone off topic because people just started bashing the rx7 like they've got some inferiority complex. sorry but if at any random moment in time where the rx-7 is lined up against the nsx, my money is going to the rx7. its amazing how people on prime claim that they don't recongnize the nsx for straight speed performance and that Ferrari owners are ignorant and condescending, yet few prime members will give the performance nod and only in terms of performance to the rx7. its a double standard and its hypocritical. i wonder how the people who bashed the rx7 earlier in this thread TRULY feel once they line up next to an rx7. are you truly that non-objective when it comes to raw performance? or do you just casually play if off stating the cliche "i dont need to prove anything in my nsx"... knowing what would have happened if you even merely think of pulling a fast one against the rival rx7. Theres a reason why the rx7 is widely stated to be disputedly the best pure bred performance car from Japan. WHILE i do very much feel that the nsx is the better overall car, there isnt A SINGLE performance category where the nsx *outclasses* the rx7 and you know it, you just pretend not to. and all this is pivotal when it comes to modding potential of the two cars where gee guess who wins. And if you relate this to a larger picture, imo the rx-7 and the supra are the last previous gen supercars that can hold up against these new hefty cars that have been coming out eg. evo etc. sorry i just can't throw the nsx in that mix and you can't say that its truly painless when some punk smokes you in an evo.

In the first place, if you don't know the people on the board, then do some research before you start running your mouth. I am the original poster who started the "mazda bashing" as you call it, and it was just a friendly jab at BAT, because there is hardly a post where he isn't comparing the RX to the NSX... :wink:

Faster than what? I've never seen a stock RX7 do 0-60 in less than 5 secs or a 1/4 mile in high 12 low 13's. So learn your facts before you start trying to make statements about things you apparently don't know.

We say the same thing about Ferraris. What good is anything if it's broke down or always in the shop. Apparently some of you RX7 guys are the ones with inferiority complexes and if you doubt this just check some of if not all of Batmans posts. You have all of one post on prime so you must be one of Batmans "little friends" from some RX7 board coming to his defense not once understanding that this post started as yet another of his attempts at belittling Honda or the NSX. Oh and as far as bashing something we can bash anything like on "our" board. We don't go to RX7 boards and belittle their cars or start threads claiming that Mazda didn't invent the rotary which it didn't.

Only people on prime saying the NSX isn't faster than the RX7 is Batmans and you Mr Andrew. Also no I don't give the nod to the RX7 as being a better performer. I've no problem lining up next to an RX7 and would feel the same way if I was "lined up next to one".

Oh my goodness "pulling something with the rival RX7" what are you smoking apex seals? For some strange reason some of you not all think the RX7 is the sheriff that regulates all other cars puh-lease. "Widely stated" ..LOL By who RX7 owners????? LOL You must be high or joking??? Whats so pure bred??? It's got pw , pl , sunroof , A/C , rear defroster etc. How is that pure bred? What just because they used cheaper materials ( i.e an oil dipstick that looks like a hair strand ) to save weight. At least use rational arguments for your justification. Absolutely ludicrous

0-60 1/4 mile. Have you absolutely no clue that they made a 290hp model???

Stock EVO isn't faster than a stock NA2 NSX they post very similar numbers and I've never been smoked by an EVO. Also why do EVO owners have to be punks? Is it because they don't own an RX7???? Also what about the 300ZX TT? It's 0-60 times are the same as the RX7 and it's just as moddable. Z's put down better hp numbers than RX7's so why is it you exclude them. Also note that the Z put down the same numbers as the RX7 while being 600lbs heavier with "only" 50hp more. Sounds to me like Nissan did a better job as their car had just as much performance ,but also had comfort and reliability. How is that the RX7 wins the mod game when a supercharged NSX puts down more hp than an RX7 with intake ,chip and exhaust. Don't get me started on Turbo NSX's. The RX7 starts out at a deficit as w/o a turbo it's not worth mentioning you need FI to keep up with the competiton NSX doesn't. You honestly don't know anything about anything other than the RX7 do you? Amazing:confused:

You know bias believe me:wink:

It's okay as long as you feel better now.

u love me don't u?

:tongue:

I'm not really good at explaining things but i'll give it a go:redface:

From what I understand BMW's Double Vanos is infinitly variable. Meaning, the timing of the intake and exhaust will/is constanly changing to meet your power needs based on how you are driving at that moment.

Whereas for a v-tec or i-vtec motor, you only have a "certain" RPM range point(s) where the intake and exhaust timing is "changed". i-vtec is "supposed" to be infinitly variable, but from what I have heard it isn't.

Vanos is infinitely variable, but only within a much smaller range of variation. It is not superior or inferior to VTEC, just different.

Bathurst RX7 specs:

Weight: 2777.8 lbs
Power 280 bhp @ 6500 rpm
Torque 232 ft lbs @ 5000 rpm
BHP/Liter 214 bhp / liter
Power to weight ratio 9.92

NSX-R Specs:

weight: 2824 lbs
power: 290.1 bhp @ 7100 rpm
torque 224.0 ft lbs @ 5500 rpm
hp per litre 91.26 bhp per litre
bhp/weight: 9.73

I believe this was a video where they took the various NSX models, including the Type R and had something like an unfair fight of 5 NSX against 1 Bathurst FD.

The Bathurst FD out accelerated and handled every NSX model, but the brakes were starting to fade on the FD towards the end of the race. I think the FD still won.

It's been a few years since I have seen this DVD.

It's amazing to hear folks that never owned a certain car and come to subjective conclusions about it's negative aspects.
It's not limited to the FD. Just look at eruptions on the Z06 thread.

It's amazing to hear folks that never owned a certain car and come to subjective conclusions about it's negative aspects.

You are largely to blame for the negative reaction to the FD as of late.

You came to this site with a chip on your shoulder and you inject the FD into virtually every thread you participate in. It would be amusing if it were not so sad. Just enjoy your FD and stop trying to convince NSX enthusiasts that it is the greatest vehicle in history.

Bathurst RX7 specs:

Power 280 bhp @ 6500 rpm

NSX-R Specs:

I believe this was a video where they took the various NSX models, including the Type R and had something like an unfair fight of 5 NSX against 1 Bathurst FD.

The Bathurst FD out accelerated and handled every NSX model, but the brakes were starting to fade on the FD towards the end of the race. I think the FD still won.

It's been a few years since I have seen this DVD.

Yeah I luv ya..like a rash in the armpit..LOL

What's subjective about poor reliability?? You actually started saying it was the owners fault! Tsk tsk no honor amongst thieves...LOL at least you admit it has negative aspects usually you deny the car has any problems.

Very interesting video that you believe exists and think the "out numbered" RX7 one. Also if it featured all year NSXs then it would stand to reason it featured the Original NA1 NSX-R which weighs 30 lbs less than the Bathhurst and has 274hp. Can't see the Bathurst beating that version and funny thing is the NA2 NSX-R outperforms that one. I guess that would kind of ruin your fantasy though. Also where'd you get those NSX-R power ratings from? Honda rates the car at 280! Did you just make that up:wink:

Yeah I luv ya..like a rash in the armpit..LOL

What's subjective about poor reliability?? You actually started saying it was the owners fault! Tsk tsk no honor amongst thieves...LOL at least you admit it has negative aspects usually you deny the car has any problems.

Very interesting video that you believe exists and think the "out numbered" RX7 one. Also if it featured all year NSXs then it would stand to reason it featured the Original NA1 NSX-R which weighs 30 lbs less than the Bathhurst and has 274hp. Can't see the Bathurst beating that version and funny thing is the NA2 NSX-R outperforms that one. I guess that would kind of ruin your fantasy though. Also where'd you get those NSX-R power ratings from? Honda rates the car at 280! Did you just make that up:wink:

My favorite part is the BHP/liter comparison. We should do a spark plug comparison as well, it's just as [ir]relevant.

There is a lot more to a car than performance stats. How much importance people put in to performance and those other variables are what lands them in a given vehicle. If you also have a sport bike at your disposal, for example, perhaps straight line speed and agility aren't as high on your priority list, such is my case. Price is probably more of a concern to FD owners, up front anyway. Modability is probably more of a concern to FD owners. That's good, there's a couple FD forums where you can discuss such things. I'm a big fan of the FD, but you aren't going to convince someone their favorite color is green instead of blue by running over to their house and shouting "GREEN GREEN GREEN!!" through their kitchen window at dinner time every evening.

BATMAN I enjoy most of your posts, including this one, but there is little doubt regarding what brahtw8 posted. In fact, I'd probably be somewhere between "largely" and "entirely" to blame. NSX prime is still by far the least hostile online environment I take part in regularly. The z06 comparisons are just getting old, eventually everyone gets a little short tempered if you ask them the same question over and over again. Most cars discussed here, including the FD, are generally praised more for their strengths than degraded for their faults. But if we wanted to hear about the FD and why it's better than every other 4 wheel machine, and 78.65% of 2 wheeled ones, we would be residing elsewhere.

Bathurst RX7 specs:
Power 280 bhp @ 6500 rpm

NSX-R Specs:

Mazda does need credit for burrowing the rotary technology from Germans. One point needs to be noted is "polar enertia" Most front engine cars are inferior in this regard in comparison to mid/rear engine automobiles. It has hardly been brought up by magazines flooded with marketing endorsements.

1. Suburu builds space shuttles for japan
2. Mitsubishi fighter Jets
3. Honda Race cars

actually i think the first commercial application of VTEC was back in 100 BC in the Roman Empire.... Glavious of Gaul implemented a 2 pony system, one pony was larger than another and it swapped out by lifting the stocky pony with the longer legged pony.... amazing technology... honda stole the idea from them...
- jest of course

Back