• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Why do people think that Honda/Acura invented VTEC?

LoL TROLL! :rolleyes:

Geez, don't you FD folks have an oil leak to be soaked up or a rotary to rebuild so you can drive around in it for the next couple days? :biggrin:

Simple reasons why the oil gasket leaked on the nsx. #1, people put goop on the gasket, when there shouldn't be any used regardless of what the manual says. So either you or past owners changed the gasket and used goop... possibly. Then biggest thing, reason #2, a car NEEDS to be driven on a regular basis to keep gaskets from drying, cracking and shrinking.

So the reason could be either #1, or more than likely #2. My suggestion is to quit spending so much time underneath the FD fixing it and spend more time driving the nsx. I'm certain there is plenty of time involved in keeping the FD road worthy. Then there we have it. Future problems with the nsx adverted and less oil on the roads from the bust fd since the fd will be on the road even less. :wink: :biggrin:

No worries, my nsx is seeping oil too. That really is rather disappointing. Occasionally I get a drop or two when the motor is nice and hot from a drive then parked in the garage. Still messy nasty since the oil scum gets over everything underneath. I'm gonna do my oil pan gasket probably next month or so, when I hit oil change mileage. I've got about 77k miles on the clock.

Oh and the Vtec is still alive and kickin' perfectly btw ;)

Glad you're taking all the egging pretty damn well! Though it does make it kind of...less fun.

So which gasket of yours is leaking?? Whoops, I meant on the NSX obviously because I'm sure the answer to that if pertaining to the FD would be, "all of em".

I took a look and it appears I have a oil gasket leak.

Not enough to actually form oil drops.

I bit disappointing for a Honda, much less one with the Acura badge with 40k miles........

You should sell your NSX because of that oil gasket leak.

Funny u should mention the oil leak.

I notice burning oil smell in the (now 40k miles) NSX.

I took a look and it appears I have a oil gasket leak.

Not enough to actually form oil drops.

I bit disappointing for a Honda, much less one with the Acura badge with 40k miles........

Not enough to actually form drops? Sounds to me like the age of the car has more to do with it than the mileage. You're pushing close to 15yrs...perhaps it's time to change some gaskets.

My '91 has 75k miles and I changed the head gasket, valve cover gaskets and oil pan gasket as well as the cam seals....stuff just gets old and dried out after awhile. Mine wasn't dripping either, but it smelled here and there. I also changed my clutch at 75k too..not bad for one clutch.

Are you dissapointed that it's not leaving pools of oil on the floor, or that you can't find anything else to whine about? :rolleyes:

Not enough to actually form drops? Sounds to me like the age of the car has more to do with it than the mileage. You're pushing close to 15yrs...perhaps it's time to change some gaskets.

My '91 has 75k miles and I changed the head gasket, valve cover gaskets and oil pan gasket as well as the cam seals....stuff just gets old and dried out after awhile. Mine wasn't dripping either, but it smelled here and there. I also changed my clutch at 75k too..not bad for one clutch.

Are you dissapointed that it's not leaving pools of oil on the floor, or that you can't find anything else to whine about? :rolleyes:

If a nsx oil leak leaves pools, then FDs must leave oceans of oil in size comparison!

Simple reasons why the oil gasket leaked on the nsx. #1, people put goop on the gasket, when there shouldn't be any used regardless of what the manual says. So either you or past owners changed the gasket and used goop... possibly. Then biggest thing, reason #2, a car NEEDS to be driven on a regular basis to keep gaskets from drying, cracking and shrinking.

So the reason could be either #1, or more than likely #2. My suggestion is to quit spending so much time underneath the FD fixing it and spend more time driving the nsx. I'm certain there is plenty of time involved in keeping the FD road worthy. Then there we have it. Future problems with the nsx adverted and less oil on the roads from the bust fd since the fd will be on the road even less. :wink: :biggrin:

No worries, my nsx is seeping oil too. That really is rather disappointing. Occasionally I get a drop or two when the motor is nice and hot from a drive then parked in the garage. Still messy nasty since the oil scum gets over everything underneath. I'm gonna do my oil pan gasket probably next month or so, when I hit oil change mileage. I've got about 77k miles on the clock.

Oh and the Vtec is still alive and kickin' perfectly btw ;)

Glad you're taking all the egging pretty damn well! Though it does make it kind of...less fun.

So which gasket of yours is leaking?? Whoops, I meant on the NSX obviously because I'm sure the answer to that if pertaining to the FD would be, "all of em".

Actually, my FD is in tip top condition. MOre so than the NSX.

NO leaks, no blow seals, no over heating.

Everything that are known to break has been replaced with bettr aftermarket parts.

I would have no problems driving the RX7 across the USA on pump gas with 15psi.

It's been tuned, turbo waste gates have been ported.

The reliability mod list goes on and on.

So when I procured the NSX I have already had the prejudice that it was like any other honda, perhaps even better since it is "hand-assembled" and so forth.

I get the oil leak, then I hear about some silly service where it's $1800 to replace the belts and water pump.

LOL, I'm still on the orginal water pump on the FD with 250k miles. That's one part that Mazda did well.

Oh, and what is this I hear about some $$$$ on changing out the cooling hoses.

Perhaps the Supra is more reliable than the NSX.... at least that's what the Supdawg boys will say.

BATMAN has been known to take egging from criminals..... :biggrin:

To change out those gaskets in the NSX is more $$$ than to rebuild the rx7 engine.

Last engine was R&R, ported, polished and rebuilt for $1300.

To change out those gaskets in the NSX is more $$$ than to rebuild the rx7 engine.

Last engine was R&R, ported, polished and rebuilt for $1300.

I think I paid a little less than that to do all the gaskets, but then again, I have a good relationship with my mechanic. I personally wouldn't compare something that shouldn't need to be done (engine rebuild) with something that I would imagine pretty much any older engine should have done (gasket refresh).

Again, I could have passed on the gaskets...there was no oil on the floor, but I felt that my engine deserved the very best, especially since I was daily driving the car.

Did you feel like you had to rebuild your engine because you wanted to, or because the original crapped out on you? You talk about reliability of your car...but your car is heavily modded...so how in the world would I replicate that for myself unless I followed your exact build and had your shop do it?

You're lucky your engine is so cheap to rebuild...since they tend to blow out quite often. Personally, I'd rather be out driving my car than waiting for it to return from the shop.

I'm sure your modified FD is fantastic...but is it fair to compare it to a stock car that is 14 years old that you have done basically nothing to? :confused:

At the end of the day, for me at least, it's how much $$$ I put into this lifestyle.

Sure I can try to make myself feel better with thoughts of it not being an engine rebuild, when it's more expensive.

Bottom line is that the rebuild for the RX& engine is replacing seals.

Ur gasket replacements required the engine to be pulled apart to some extent.

On a RX7 engine there is no replacement of valves, guides, cranks, etc.

It's 3 moving parts in the 13B.

Simple in design.

And imagine if the NSX engine went. Replacing it would be the price of a FD these days....

It's 3 moving parts in the 13B.

Simple in design.
Then why are they always broke:biggrin:

And imagine if the NSX engine went. Replacing it would be the price of a FD these days....

What does that say about the RX7...LOL

Everything that are known to break has been replaced with bettr aftermarket parts.

What'd you do replace the car??? or I guess everything ,but the water pump..LOL Don't stop me I'm on a roll..LOL

Both are unique cars now.

Had my 93 Rx-7 R-1 in 93. I paid $25.5k new. Drove it for 21,000 miles.

Did it have problems, well yes. I used to take it into the dealer once every 2 months and just say "It's not running right". They'd find a hose leak or some other issue every time. Never paid a penny for the repair.

Was it an awesome ride? Hell yeah, the thing was a beast. I picked up more women, beat every car I ran against for 2 years. It turned heads like you wouldn't believe :biggrin:. Best car I've ever had (and I've owned a lot of nice sports cars).

I sold it because at 6'4" I couldn't drive it long distances without getting muscle cramps in my right leg. I would have to pull over every 2 hours if I took a long trip.

Even back then with 21k on it and two years after I owned it I sold it for $1,500 less than I paid. Oh and it was wrecked, the buyer knew it. It had $9k of work done to it to repair it.

FDs are classic now, regardless of the issues with the stock motor. It's a race car disguised as a street car.

Both the NSX and the FD deserve their respect.

NSX-Stalker

Amen.

I'm jsut trying to bring balance to the leftist *cough*

And in that effort, you are making an arse of yourself and a mockery of this forum.

Faster than what? I've never seen a stock RX7 do 0-60 in less than 5 secs or a 1/4 mile in high 12 low 13's. So learn your facts before you start trying to make statements about things you apparently don't know.

well when it debuted it was faster around Streets of Willowsprings, same day same driver (danny sullivan). although the nsx did get the nod as the better handling car.

Road&Track_article02.10.jpg

still though i'd trade my rx7 for an nsx (my dream car) any day. there is just something magical about 8,000 rpm's screaming behind your head. plus the mid-engine driving feel along with no power steering is just awesome. i cant wait for the day i can afford an nsx as a track car.

Actually, my FD is in tip top condition. MOre so than the NSX.
That's because it's always in the shop getting fixed or rebuilt. It's GOTTA be in great shape afterwards! Especially after routine visits to the shop with broken parts still nice new and shiney, just busted. NSX never goes to the shop, so parts get old and worn then looooong time down the road, something breaks.

NO leaks, no blow seals, no over heating.

The FD shouldn't be leaking, blowing seals or over heating. The replacement parts are still new!

So if all parts that have broken have been replaced with better aftermarket, that must mean you piece together a brand new FD several times over.

I would have no problems driving the RX7 across the USA on pump gas with 15psi.
With stops every 100 miles to cool off and top off the oil and coolant, the successful trip on pump gas @15 psi must have taken ages with all those stops!

So when I procured the NSX I have already had the prejudice that it was like any other honda, perhaps even better since it is "hand-assembled" and so forth.
Well your thought was correct. However if it was true, it'd bankrupt Ferrari and Enzo would be designing the new HSC. Honda knew they have to have competition in the exotic car world. Without competition, Honda would have a monopoly. With a monopoly comes congress to try to break up your company. Hence, Honda had to let Ferrari breath a little bit by building the nsx a little off of perfect. Just a little.

I get the oil leak, then I hear about some silly service where it's $1800 to replace the belts and water pump.
Yeah, but $1800 every 90k miles to replace all that is cheap considering it's about 6+ years to reach those miles. Especially when compared to rebuilding a fd motor every few miles :biggrin: for a couple thousand dollars each time.

LOL, I'm still on the orginal water pump on the FD with 250k miles. That's one part that Mazda did well.
That's great when the cheapest priced part on the car will last forever but everything else that costs real money breaks all the time. BTW, I got original fuses in my car in places, they're 14 years old and cost a few cents each :wink: But ooops oh wait my expensive parts in my nsx....... nope still not broke :tongue: (knock on wood!)

Oh, and what is this I hear about some $$$$ on changing out the cooling hoses.
Hey it's a NSX. It's got about a billion hoses running from front to back. It's not as special as a FD where it's only got 3 moving parts, a spark plug, and a pull string. Oh wait.... or was that roll back start? Oops never mind, no roll back, that would require a spring and make it 4 moving parts.

Perhaps the Supra is more reliable than the NSX.... at least that's what the Supdawg boys will say.
Oh hell yeah the Supra is a more reliable FI car than the nsx. Oh wait, the nsx didn't come in FI. I've heard the same comments before too. Those are definitely monstrous cars though.

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

Wow, I'm thoroughly surprised I have NOT run out of wise@ss comments! I must be on a roll!

It seems my wise@ss remarks are as endless as the trails of oil from a bust FD being towed home or as huge and vast as the clouds of smoke and raw fuel bellowing from the tailpipe of an actually running (rare) fd. :tongue: :biggrin:

Damn Bat, it's late and I'm tire. Think it's time for bed. I seriously we all need to get together for a nice meet sometime. Bring the FD. I'll bring the rags and bandaids to get ya back home, someone provide the extra bottles of oil ;) Oh, don't forget the AAA card for roadside assistance, 4 blocks is a LONG way for a FD, lol. :biggrin:

Ahhhh geez... it's bedtime. Night folks!

Amen.

I'm jsut trying to bring balance to the leftist *cough*

Weren't you going to something about it being "his" fault the car was in the shop every two months:confused: Also bro and this is just for balance. Why no admission of being wrong about the thread you started? Time to man up:wink:

*Spam Blocker Alert*

- Month's BATMAN registered on Prime: 3
- Total posts by BATMAN: 399
- Total posts unrelated to Mazdas: 9
- Average daily Mazda spam: 4.3

Ski buddy I seriously doubt he has nine posts unrelated to the Mazda unless they were just set ups to bring the Mazda into the conversation. Also nice track pic in your sig. I guess you to drop Paris since she's headed for some well deserved slammer time:biggrin:

well when it debuted it was faster around Streets of Willowsprings, same day same driver (danny sullivan). although the nsx did get the nod as the better handling car.

still though i'd trade my rx7 for an nsx (my dream car) any day. there is just something magical about 8,000 rpm's screaming behind your head. plus the mid-engine driving feel along with no power steering is just awesome. i cant wait for the day i can afford an nsx as a track car.

It's amazing and I applaud the fact that you RX7 guys have every article where the RX7 won something and never include the stuff it lost at. Also your post doesn't answer the question about the RX7 never being faster in accerleration than the NA2 NSX. Geez time to dust off the scanner because this is last time I let you guys post clips from select articles:biggrin:

Koolaid,

The last time the FD saw a shop for anything was 16 months to be exact.

It's been amazingly reliable after replacing the OEM parts with better aftermarket ones.

Wingz,

It's amazing that when the RX7 is mentioned much of the members on this forum seem to blow up the threads.

Yes, these threads were prior to me joining this board.

I wonder why.

If the FD is such a POS, why even waste ur 2 cents entertaining a silly thread.

WOW!

I remember seeing that article way back in the day.

SOmehow I missed the part where the FD pulled 1.2 G on those shitty 225/50/16 tires.

My FD with 255 front and 275 rear on Falken Azenis + full suspension must be hauling ass.

Of course the double decker wing helps too in high speeds....

Koolaid,

The last time the FD saw a shop for anything was 16 months to be exact.

It's been amazingly reliable after replacing the OEM parts with better aftermarket ones.
Of course it's much more reliable! Because you practically rebuilt an entirely new car out of considerably better aftermarket parts! It's like the only thing mazda left is the badge on the nose.

I was gonna be a punk and make a comment like "The fd hasn't seen the shop in 16 months because you've been busy driving the nsx. Shame the poor fd has been sitting broken the last 15 of 16 months." But I'm kinda in a bummered out mood, nothing prime related of course.

Wingz,

It's amazing that when the RX7 is mentioned much of the members on this forum seem to blow up the threads.

Yes, these threads were prior to me joining this board.

I wonder why.
The threads blow up, NOT because we feel threatened (I knwo that was in your head, because I'd feel the same way) but because the target is SOOOO easy. Even you had to admit the wankel was a wanker straight out of the factory until full aftermarket mods/replacement.

If the FD is such a POS, why even waste ur 2 cents entertaining a silly thread.

Because it's silly cheap EASY entertainment of course my horse! You're right though. With everyone on prime tossing in their two cents, it'll take an eternity TO FINALLY SAVE UP THOSE PENNIES TO FIX the FD!

Back