• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Will I Buy the New NSX

The fact that Acura divvied up the design and manufacturing of the new NSX among different divisions of the company, located in different countries, does not bother me one iota. To the contrary, I kinda like this collaborative effort.

we're not talking about VW building Beetles in Mexico here. do you think the Mexicans are in charge of GT3 or 918 development?

We also are not talking about Mexico visa-vie the NSX. If Acura elected to build the NSX in an antiquated factory in Honduras, that would be a different story. However, Acura instead built a brand new, start of the art plant in the United States, using manufacturing expertise and experience developed both in Japan and the United States. Moreover, while the manufacturing will occur on US soul, Japanese expertise, experience, procedures, and requirements will undoubtedly guide and/or govern the process. Likewise, while certain elements of the NSX were designed and/or tested by Acura employees in the United States, the entire process -- from soup to nuts -- was almost certainly overseen, directed and vetted by Acura in Japan, so as to ensure that the NSX met the strict requirements dictated by the parent company. In other words, Acura did not abdicate responsibility and surrender control of the NSX to a bunch of third-party dolts.

nope, they didn't. and you're correct, but to some it's no longer a proper fully Japanese car. me included. no one cares if they build Camry's in America. but the NSX? the pride of Honda?

i can't imagine Lexus doing the same with the LFA (anxiously awaiting N Spec's response here)...

nope, they didn't. and you're correct, but to some it's no longer a proper fully Japanese car. me included. no one cares if they build Camry's in America. but the NSX? the pride of Honda?

i can't imagine Lexus doing the same with the LFA (anxiously awaiting N Spec's response here)...

while N Spec isformulating his response I will weigh in :). I think Honda recognizes that people are more loyal to a company and their products more than the country that those products originated from. The world has gotten a lot smaller with the information page and the global economy. Do Canadians hold it against Apple that they are an American company?

I get your point that there is something special about a companies halo product but I don't think that the location of its assembly matters more than the product and the company that made it. I think Superfluous made a great point above. And to add on to that point keep in mind that Honda has a special relationship with America because American sales probably represents a majority of its global sales and America has the Acura brand which doesn't exist elsewhere. Also keep in mind that this goes along with Hondas concept of building products in the country where they are sold. And I really like that concept because it allows wealth creation where consumers spend their money.

Last edited:
Actually, Ford is letting the Canadians do the job haha so it's just the same as Mexico.

I admire your passion really FA, but times always change. Ferrari will not be on top forever and they will topple sooner or later as they are at the peak of their game right now.

Let's say the new NSX is a hybrid in many aspects. Both in terms of powertrain and developmental collaboration. These many new aspects/approaches are going to upset purists obviously.

- - - Updated - - -

Also what I meant with Ferrari toppling is that if they had a higher market share in America or even China, I bet they would open a factory in either of those locale.

Lastly, about the LFA remark - I love Toyota as much as the next guy for building some reliable cars, but they rarely build a proper sports car IMO. They have already been working with BMW on their next supposed Supra/Z4, so the pride of Toyota is out already and rests in the hand of Germany for the famed, legendary Supra. Their latest Lexus RC-F is lackluster at best, being built upon a large 4 door GS platform.

they should call it the nsa.....sports car american......:biggrin:

they should call it the NSA.....sports car american......:biggrin:

i like it, seems fair enough...

while N Spec isformulating his response I will weigh in :). I think Honda recognizes that people are more loyal to a company and their products more than the country that those products originated from. The world has gotten a lot smaller with the information page and the global economy. Do Canadians hold it against Apple that they are an American company?

I get your point that there is something special about a companies halo product but I don't think that the location of its assembly matters more than the product and the company that made it. I think Superfluous made a great point above. And to add on to that point keep in mind that Honda has a special relationship with America because American sales probably represents a majority of its global sales and America has the Acura brand which doesn't exist elsewhere. Also keep in mind that this goes along with Hondas concept of building products in the country where they are sold. And I really like that concept because it allows wealth creation where consumers spend their money.

i can dig that. good points all, much better this time! :smile:

Actually, Ford is letting the Canadians do the job haha so it's just the same as Mexico.

I admire your passion really FA, but times always change. Ferrari will not be on top forever and they will topple sooner or later as they are at the peak of their game right now.

Let's say the new NSX is a hybrid in many aspects. Both in terms of powertrain and developmental collaboration. These many new aspects/approaches are going to upset purists obviously.

- - - Updated - - -

Also what I meant with Ferrari toppling is that if they had a higher market share in America or even China, I bet they would open a factory in either of those locale.

Lastly, about the LFA remark - I love Toyota as much as the next guy for building some reliable cars, but they rarely build a proper sports car IMO. They have already been working with BMW on their next supposed Supra/Z4, so the pride of Toyota is out already and rests in the hand of Germany for the famed, legendary Supra. Their latest Lexus RC-F is lackluster at best, being built upon a large 4 door GS platform.

i appreciate your work here too, but it's not nearly as convincing. mate, Ferrari has always been at the peak, even if they weren't technically on top, they've always been on top. for as long as anyone remembers, since they began really. that's why they're universally the most regarded and desired of automobiles, and why the Prancing Horse is the icon it is, distinctly and significantly more so than any other. that's why the top 9 of 10 most expensive cars ever sold are from the Italian marque. just like Ducati with motorbikes, they will always be the pinnacle. for their racing successes, their charisma or character (read shit reliability, engineering or build quality of old), or their faults. it's by the pure passion of their creators that they'll never be toppled. that exhilaration and emotion filters right through to their machines.

i'd be quite certain more Ferrari's come to America than anywhere else. and there's no way Ferrari would ever let their cars be produced outside of Italy, by non-Italians.

i feel i may've been Italian in a previous life? :confused:

anyways, i'm out! nothing more to say on this one. the new NSX has too many compromises for me, and no soul...

The Honda's that lasted the longest have always been built over in Japan. That's a fact and not a opinion. The flagship of Japan is built in Ohio? There was pride involved of a worker building the Nsx in Japan. I don't see that in this car

The Honda's that lasted the longest have always been built over in Japan. That's a fact and not a opinion. The flagship of Japan is built in Ohio? There was pride involved of a worker building the Nsx in Japan. I don't see that in this car

Can you provide some hard evidence for that assertion?

Also, don't you think the NSX builders will be the best of the best? And the fact that it will largely be hand assembled at a rate of 2-3 a day, do you really think quality will be a concern?

i feel i may've been Italian in a previous life? :confused:

anyways, i'm out! nothing more to say on this one. the new NSX has too many compromises for me, and no soul...

Haha, you are indeed Italy's biggest cheerleader. It's no sweat, the new NSX is not your cup of tea. Maybe you'll change your mind in the future tho...

Haha, you are indeed Italy's biggest cheerleader.

as are you Honda's! :biggrin:

i haven't driven the new NSX yet, but know a few that have. i will drive it soon enough, and i'll get back to you.

my advice, drive the new NSX, and then drive a 458. a Supercar should be excuse free, and for me driving a Supercar is about the all encompassing experience of a Supercar, every facet of it. even merely walking up to it should be exhilarating. lately i haven't seen anyone do it better than the Italians...

Well I'm not concerned with the built in America aspect... especially since it is same location my last Three Honda Gold Wings were built. The Gold Wing, though an American built Honda for many years, has been considered the touring bike standard which was hard to beat and other brand ( Asian and European) attempts were judged against. The last Wings built there were a few years back (2010 0r 2011) when they packed up all machinery and shipped it to Japan. I found that a little unsettling because why change what was being done so well. Since I'm not totally familiar with the site layout, I now wonder did they move the Wings out to make room for the new NSX factory?

probably one of the road test engineers garage

as are you Honda's! :biggrin:

i haven't driven the new NSX yet, but know a few that have. i will drive it soon enough, and i'll get back to you.

my advice, drive the new NSX, and then drive a 458. a Supercar should be excuse free, and for me driving a Supercar is about the all encompassing experience of a Supercar, every facet of it. even merely walking up to it should be exhilarating. lately i haven't seen anyone do it better than the Italians...

No, I am quite certain that there are much bigger Honda fans up here than I. I just know what they should be capable of.

I don't even have to drive the 458 to know it's going to be very special so I hope to not be disappointed. My resolve is to own one within my lifetime.

impossible, even with the base model. simply impossible...

Really? They have been targeting the 458 for at least 2 years. I am pretty confident they had one or two on hand for comparison and reverse engineering. If they can't meet or surpass that target they probably need to consider getting out of the car business and opening a furniture store.

Last edited:
Really? They have been targeting the 458 for at least 2 years. I am pretty confident they had one on hand for comparison and reverse engineering. If they can't meet or surpass that target they probably need to consider getting out of the business and opening a furniture store.

my comment was in response to N Spec saying he hoped he wouldn't be disappointed when he drove a 458 for the first time. the base model 458 steers like an (original) NSX, only quicker and more communicative, it handles like an (original) NSX, only much better, more balanced, and with much higher limits. its brakes are simply incomparable, and the engine has twice as much power and acceleration. and it's even more every day usable and streetable than our old school NSX's. so in that regard, there's no way he could possibly be disappointed. that car is pure magic, the perfect blend of everything. there's simply no other way to put it.

based on the universal comments on the new NSX and its completely numb steering, boring and dull exhaust note, mixed opinion on styling, generally uninspiring and bland personality, and my own extensive time in the Ferrari, i can't imagine it to be a more thrilling and exhilarating experience...

my comment was in response to N Spec saying he hoped he wouldn't be disappointed when he drove a 458 for the first time. the base model 458 steers like an (original) NSX, only quicker and more communicative, it handles like an (original) NSX, only much better, more balanced, and with much higher limits. its brakes are simply incomparable, and the engine has twice as much power and acceleration. and it's even more every day usable and streetable than our old school NSX's. so in that regard, there's no way he could possibly be disappointed. that car is pure magic, the perfect blend of everything. there's simply no other way to put it.

based on the universal comments on the new NSX and its completely numb steering, boring and dull exhaust note, mixed opinion on styling, generally uninspiring and bland personality, and my own extensive time in the Ferrari, i can't imagine it to be a more thrilling and exhilarating experience...

my bad.

i will admit that the turbos in combination with the V-6 presents a sound tuning challenge to compete with a flat plane crank V-8.

the base model 458 steers like an (original) NSX, only quicker and more communicative, it handles like an (original) NSX, only much better, more balanced, and with much higher limits. its brakes are simply incomparable, and the engine has twice as much power and acceleration. and it's even more every day usable and streetable than our old school NSX's. so in that regard, there's no way he could possibly be disappointed. that car is pure magic, the perfect blend of everything. there's simply no other way to put it.

How long should you let one of those burn so it's as light as an NSX?

Last edited:
Back