• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Will I Buy the New NSX

right, makes sense now.

the original NSX curb weight, to the Ferrari's 458 dry weight?

the new NSX's weight certainly isn't comparable to the 488's weight...

- - - Updated - - -

p.s. every once in a while Ferrari's do have a tendency to catch fire. i was actually in this very car previous to this photo

Last edited:
It sure is easy to find many pictures of newer Ferrari's on fire. Seems like every single model they've made in recent history has had a recall for fire risk-- e.g. 430, 458, California, 488. From here on out I will refer to the brand as Firerrari.

article-0-0AE302BF000005DC-197_634x530.jpg

ferrari-f430-fire-9.jpg

With a dry weight similar to the NSX's curb weight, I guess the Ferrari is a bit heavier.
Real world scales are telling a different tale.

For me the 458 Speciale is one I'd own in a heartbeat (tdf blue with red interior please), but I'd be gaining 640lbs over my '91 coupe! Also a tiny bit of power to weight given my 443whp.(500bhp=5.4) Actual weights:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/458-italia-488/448635-458-speciale-curb-weight.html

The Laugherari full of gas is emerging as a hefty 3650lb+ in the real world too.
http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/144137863-post35.html

Heavy cars are obviously quick these days.. I just wish the claims and ensuing power to weight equations were more honest.

Last edited:
my comment was in response to N Spec saying he hoped he wouldn't be disappointed when he drove a 458 for the first time. the base model 458 steers like an (original) NSX, only quicker and more communicative, it handles like an (original) NSX, only much better, more balanced, and with much higher limits. its brakes are simply incomparable, and the engine has twice as much power and acceleration. and it's even more every day usable and streetable than our old school NSX's. so in that regard, there's no way he could possibly be disappointed. that car is pure magic, the perfect blend of everything. there's simply no other way to put it.

based on the universal comments on the new NSX and its completely numb steering, boring and dull exhaust note, mixed opinion on styling, generally uninspiring and bland personality, and my own extensive time in the Ferrari, i can't imagine it to be a more thrilling and exhilarating experience...

This is good to hear. The 458 sounds like the best spiritual successor to the NSX than most other cars.

I think the new NSX will need some time to refine everything. It's much more complicated than the original as most supercars are now today so it's actually impressive that Honda has what they have with 3 years worth of work considering cars like the Ferraris, Porsches, Lambos, etc. have been evolving their tech consistently over the decades. I hope they continue to evolve the NSX properly and simplify certain aspects if they find that it not quite worth the effort.

- - - Updated - - -

Real world scales are telling a different tale.

For me the 458 Speciale is one I'd own in a heartbeat (tdf blue with red interior please), but I'd be gaining 640lbs over my '91 coupe! Also a tiny bit of power to weight given my 443whp.(500bhp=5.4) Actual weights:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/458-italia-488/448635-458-speciale-curb-weight.html

The Laugherari full of gas is emerging as a hefty 3650lb+ in the real world too.
http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/144137863-post35.html

Heavy cars are obviously quick these days.. I just wish the claims and ensuing power to weight equations were more honest.

The Italians are notorious for quoting dry weight or near empty weight. They usually quote weights with say 1/4 tank of gas I suppose haha.

every car with fuel onboard has burned at some point. the 458 had a problem with a bad exhaust flange on the driver's side that would blow out under heavy load and ignite the sensor on top of the left cylinder bank. the electrical system would go first, and everything else after if not caught quickly. the cats backed up the exhaust system too much under constant abuse. at least this was the case with the cars i was involved with, i don't know anything about the 430 and 488 however?

458's can be anywhere from 3250 to 3400 (actual) pounds., depending on the model and trim. i think most are right around or a little more than 3300 lbs. i have no problems with that for a screaming V8 with up to 600 horsepower...

- - - Updated - - -

all the manufacturers are full of it, some more so than others. get your weights and performance figures from the magazines...

- - - Updated - - -

i'm curious to see the new NSX's weight when it's finally released and weighed with a few options. you can bet Acura is giving the lowball estimate right now...

- - - Updated - - -

For me the 458 Speciale is one I'd own in a heartbeat (tdf blue with red interior please), but I'd be gaining 640lbs over my '91 coupe! Also a tiny bit of power to weight given my 443whp.(500bhp=5.4)

the Ferrari will still run massive rings around your car, it would obliterate it.

the Speciale is probably also the new "it" midship Ferrari to have. the last of the screamer, normally aspirated V8's...

i'm curious to see the new NSX's weight when it's finally released and weighed with a few options. you can bet Acura is giving the lowball estimate right now...

Really? Has that been their practice in the past?

Also wouldn't some of the options make the car lighter like the carbon fiber roof and engine cover? (think Weissach edition of the 918)?

they all do, all manufacturers. it's already a very heavy car.

my best educated guess is they're giving you the quote of the car at its absolute lightest possible weight...

they all do, all manufacturers. it's already a very heavy car.

my best educated guess is they're giving you the quote of the car at its absolute lightest possible weight...

That's quite an assumption... Could be they're giving us the weight at its absolute heaviest, so as to not disappoint or under deliver. Most S2000s registered on scales lighter than factory claims, for example.

that's not an assumption. i may be wrong, but i have personally never seen a car weigh less than what the manufacturer stated. as has been previously stated by others here, they usually leave the radiator empty, delete the air conditioning, or only fill the fuel tank 1/4 way, etc.

any car maker will always tell you the lightest weight, and highest peak power within the spectrum. it's common sense and good marketing.
how many times have you heard of a certain model stated to make a particular MPG figure, and then when independently tested, getting nothing close to that number?

but if you're certain the NSX will weight less than 3800 lbs., you should place some bets on it... :wink:

the standard is that cars are rated at their absolute lowest trim options, with fluids.
its always rated a good bit less than actual weight of an average car.

nowadays you may notice allot of manufactures especially Ferrari and porche have a habit lately of quoting dry weight in their editorials and advertising especially when comparing the regular version the race version. like the 458 discussed here http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/458...rb-weight.html and noted here as an example of one of many http://www.caranddriver.com/news/fer...-and-info-news thery compare curb to dry to show weight difference... add 22gallons of gas 140lbs and other fluids and there special is not all that much lighter than the non-special. and this new caymen GT4 that is supposed to be 2955 lbs as advertized was measured at 3083 with half a tank and multiple people weighing them well over 3100 with full tank. http://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/88970...sion-info.html these manufactures are getting trickier and trickier. not to mention those $12k optional ceramic brakes cost $8k for a brake job.... Just makes the NSX more and more amazing when dissecting the overall picture and weeding out the bull$hit.

Last edited:
The only car I've bothered to weigh was my '06 Legend. Checked it out at my local race track - advertised at 1850kg, and that is exactly what it weighed on the scales, with 3/4 of a tank of fuel, but without the spare wheel and jack.

About the new 2.0 NSX, there was the questionnaire for NSXPO attendees. One of the questions was if you'd be interested in a non-hybrid stripped out model. Pretty intriguing to me, especially if it could be rwd and NA.

I wonder how serious they have considered it.

that's not an assumption. i may be wrong, but i have personally never seen a car weigh less than what the manufacturer stated. as has been previously stated by others here, they usually leave the radiator empty, delete the air conditioning, or only fill the fuel tank 1/4 way, etc.

any car maker will always tell you the lightest weight, and highest peak power within the spectrum. it's common sense and good marketing.

I've seen plenty of Hondas weight at, or even less than, the factory rating.

2003 Honda S2000 - factory claim of 2808 lbs, actual weight (bone stock, full tank of gas, spare tire and tools and floor mats and etc. in the car) of 2765 lbs.
http://www.bowtie6.com/how-much-does-honda-s2000-weigh/

When I weighed my own S2000 on scales somebody brought to a track, it was 2745 lbs with half a tank of gas.

Here's an article by somebody corner balancing their '97 NSX-T. 3113 lbs on the scales, 3164 lbs on the factory spec sheet. (Not a 100% stock car, but not modified to be lighter. 3/4 tank of gas, still had jack, CD changer, etc.)
https://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Performance/cornerbalance.htm

how many times have you heard of a certain model stated to make a particular MPG figure, and then when independently tested, getting nothing close to that number?

That's because the drive cycle used in EPA testing is quite different from real-world use of the cars. Putting a car on scales is the same whether its in a factory or your driveway, however, so the variability in MPG does not imply a variability in weights.

but if you're certain the NSX will weight less than 3800 lbs., you should place some bets on it... :wink:

Since when is "could be" the same as "certain"? The new NSX could weigh 10,000 lbs for all I know. I'm very interested in seeing a customer car put on the scales.

The only car I've bothered to weigh was my '06 Legend. Checked it out at my local race track - advertised at 1850kg, and that is exactly what it weighed on the scales, with 3/4 of a tank of fuel, but without the spare wheel and jack.

I've seen plenty of Hondas weight at, or even less than, the factory rating.

2003 Honda S2000 - factory claim of 2808 lbs, actual weight (bone stock, full tank of gas, spare tire and tools and floor mats and etc. in the car) of 2765 lbs.

When I weighed my own S2000 on scales somebody brought to a track, it was 2745 lbs with half a tank of gas.

Here's an article by somebody corner balancing their '97 NSX-T. 3113 lbs on the scales, 3164 lbs on the factory spec sheet. (Not a 100% stock car, but not modified to be lighter. 3/4 tank of gas, still had jack, CD changer, etc.)

that's great and all, but as you both just mentioned in your arguments, neither car was topped off with fuel, and/or certain pieces and items of the car were not attached to it. therefor it's absolutely not an accurate comparison of your personal cars matching the weight of the manufacturer...

that's great and all, but as you both just mentioned in your arguments, neither car was topped off with fuel, and/or certain pieces and items of the car were not attached to it. therefor it's absolutely not an accurate comparison of your personal cars matching the weight of the manufacturer...

Yes, it was topped off with fuel. "(bone stock, full tank of gas, spare tire and tools and floor mats and etc. in the car)" Nor were certain pieces and items of the car not attached.

And for my car, which had everything in it as well but had only half a tank of gas, filling it up by the remaining 6.1 gallon capacity would add another ~40 lbs. Bringing the total to 2785 lbs, still under the factory claim.

There is certainly no need to do things like empty the radiator, remove the AC, or have only a quarter tank of gas in the car to meet factory weight specs.

There is certainly no need to do things like empty the radiator, remove the AC, or have only a quarter tank of gas in the car to meet factory weight specs.

there isn't a need. it's just marketing (and common practice), and they all do it.

don't expect the NSX to miraculously weigh in on the Motor Trend scales at 3500 lbs. is all i'm saying...

p.s. why do you think horsepower numbers are always given at the crank? same principal, it's more attractive to prospective buyers. no different than a perceived lighter car.

Back