• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

02 headlights... anyone ever black it out?

MY 2 cents: Any color besides white or black besides OEM is ugly :rolleyes:

Matte black can be pulled off on the right color and white we all know is an oem NSX-R color but even on my white car I would not do it, just not for me because when you start painting them body color it just looks cheap....red, blue, etc.

There was a topic on s2ki about this for s2000 owners and looks just as horrible and that was the general consensus! :mad:

Most of you guys who say try it want others to do it but would never do it to your own car. I would never do it because once done you've ruined a good set of $2300/pair headlights that 99% of nsx owners will not like. If you plan to keep the car for yourself then be my guest but when it comes time to sell, it's going to be an ugly duckling only loved by the owner....

I know these are harsh words but the headlights really are one of the first items that draws your eyes and doing something weird will just ruin the whole car no matter what else you did.

rk

Ok, I just did the color-matching mod:

attachment.php

Does anyone know how this works? I saw this type of mod in-person once and it looked really cool. I don't think it is the headlights, but some kind of a tint or film they put on the headlight casing. It makes it look like the headlights are on, and the color is like what you get on Oakley snowboard goggles.

2335693919_bbeef963bf.jpg

attachment.php

Attachments

• 580673gn2.jpg
    580673gn2.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 1,421
  • 11763nsx3-med.jpg
    11763nsx3-med.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 1,443
  • NSXfront.jpg
    NSXfront.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
Ok, I just did the color-matching mod:

attachment.php

Does anyone know how this works? I saw this type of mod in-person once and it looked really cool. I don't think it is the headlights, but some kind of a tint or film they put on the headlight casing. It makes it look like the headlights are on, and the color is like what you get on Oakley snowboard goggles.

2335693919_bbeef963bf.jpg

attachment.php

uhhh what car is that to the left of the G?!

Matte black can be pulled off on the right color and white we all know is an oem NSX-R color but even on my white car I would not do it, just not for me because when you start painting them body color it just looks cheap....red, blue, etc.

There was a topic on s2ki about this for s2000 owners and looks just as horrible and that was the general consensus! :mad:

Most of you guys who say try it want others to do it but would never do it to your own car. I would never do it because once done you've ruined a good set of $2300/pair headlights that 99% of nsx owners will not like. If you plan to keep the car for yourself then be my guest but when it comes time to sell, it's going to be an ugly duckling only loved by the owner....

I know these are harsh words but the headlights really are one of the first items that draws your eyes and doing something weird will just ruin the whole car no matter what else you did.

rk

I agree TOTALLY...Color match looks aweful and NON factory.... who can do this mod in Flat black ?

As far as that rainbow color is concerned, it's an effect that's the result of baking open the headlights. Something within the plastic/housing causes the rainbow effect. On all my previously modified housings, there are unique rainbow spectrums after the lights have been opened and "baked" again to melt and re-melt the silicone which holds the plastics together.

It's a pretty neat pattern that can be captured on camera if the right polarizing filter is used.

-Ravi

As far as that rainbow color is concerned, it's an effect that's the result of baking open the headlights. Something within the plastic/housing causes the rainbow effect. On all my previously modified housings, there are unique rainbow spectrums after the lights have been opened and "baked" again to melt and re-melt the silicone which holds the plastics together.

It's a pretty neat pattern that can be captured on camera if the right polarizing filter is used.

-Ravi

it has nothing to do with the lights being disassembled.

it has to do with the clearcoat on the polycarbonate lensing. the rainbow effect gets exaggerated with a polarizer.

mike / clearcorners.com

Yes, but how do you explain their non-existence prior to disassembly? Thanks, looking to learn. :cool:

Yes, but how do you explain their non-existence prior to disassembly? Thanks, looking to learn. :cool:

polar1.jpg

polar2.jpg

Stock or modified does not matter. The same light, first without and the second with polarization. All depends on how the photo is taken, it has nothing to do with whether or not the light has been taken apart or heated.

I will say that how people disassemble lights is very important. Too many people using the home-oven, eas-e-bake technique which can cause stress fractures in the plastic.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, causing damage to a pair of $100 Civic halogen headlights is not that big of a deal/risk. Damaging a pair of NSX headlights which cost $800.00 EACH, well.. much bigger problem.

Mike / ClearCorners.Com

and by saying that, i assume you don't use this procedure on your work.... how do you do it?? (i think you can tell without compromise of your product/service)

I will say that how people disassemble lights is very important. Too many people using the home-oven, eas-e-bake technique which can cause stress fractures in the plastic.

polar1.jpg

polar2.jpg

Stock or modified does not matter. The same light, first without and the second with polarization. All depends on how the photo is taken, it has nothing to do with whether or not the light has been taken apart or heated.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, causing damage to a pair of $100 Civic halogen headlights is not that big of a deal/risk. Damaging a pair of NSX headlights which cost $800.00 EACH, well.. much bigger problem.

Mike / ClearCorners.Com

Is this in response to the concept G coupe I posted?

I don't think we are talking about the same phenomenon. I've seen what you refer to in your pictures. In fact, if anyone owns a pair of polarized sunglasses, just put them on and you should be able to see the "rainbow" effect in a lot of OEM plastics/glass.

But in the picture of the G Coupe, I think there is a special tint/spray they put on to make that effect--much like the type they put on Oakley snowboard goggles.

Z25565.JPG

I've seen it with my naked eyes on a car before. If anyone has a video of it, I believe you can see it on the G coupe concept.

Last edited:
No reason for you guys to be jerks, by saying my car looks cheap and ugly. I love the look more every time i see them so i don't really care what you say, it's just not polite.

If you only live your life for other people, i feel sorry for you. I didn't purchase my NSX to hold it for the next person.

$2300 is nothing compared to the price of the car, so if a person looking to purchase a car didn't like them they could be replaced and sold here on Prime.

Each unto their own really. I still like the color match option. At least I can point out which car is mine if I go to an NSX meet. I found some other photos from GT-rom.net that has a red NSX with some nice color matched 02 headlights. Looks nice with the red roof.

030.jpg

006.gif

I will be doing the clear corners mod at some point. I love the color match/flat black look...unfortunately I have a black car and I don't want to go too stealth... I'm definitely envious of the red/orange/blue/white cars. It looks great.

how about blacked out headlights with the led 'eyelash' effect? i have yet to put them on my car..

Attachments

• blk_led_eyelashes.jpg
    blk_led_eyelashes.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 505
how about blacked out headlights with the led 'eyelash' effect? i have yet to put them on my car..

Where did you get that done? How did you do it? How much is it?

actually, a friend of mine who owns a performance/fabrication shop here in Vegas custom made these lights for me. Yes, you are right it is sorta like the audi led look.. i'll post more pics once i put them on the car.

Back