• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

1991 OEM CD player plays store-bought CDs but not my burned CDs

I purchased my 1991 NSX new and have kept it all original since (less than 37K miles on it). I did recently replace the Bose speakers with a full set of new ones (same model as originals). I have my original CD player and it does play "store-bought" CDs fine. It used to play my burned CDs of .mp3 formatted songs just fine too. However it won't play them anymore. It tries to read them but just sits at "00" for a little while and then skips to the next CD in the stack. I have read somewhere that maybe burning them at a slower speed like 4x might help? Or try a different brand of blank CDs to burn to?

Any ideas would be much appreciated!

I have my original CD player and it does play "store-bought" CDs fine. It used to play my burned CDs of .mp3 formatted songs just fine too. However it won't play them anymore. It tries to read them but just sits at "00" for a little while and then skips to the next CD in the stack. I have read somewhere that maybe burning them at a slower speed like 4x might help? Or try a different brand of blank CDs to burn to?

Are you sure that those 'burned CDs' were ripped to .mp3 format and not ripped to .wav? If your CD changer is original as in 1991 original, I would be exceedingly surprised if it supported .mp3 files. The Motion Picture Experts Group released draft versions of the MPEG-1 Audio Layer III standard in 1991; but, the final approved release did not occur until around 1993. I would be exceedingly surprised to see commercial devices supporting .mp3 format prior to an approved release. In fact, I thought the first CD drives that could read the .mp3 format did not come out until around 1996 or 1997.

After further experimentation I did discover at least one unique feature of the two older burned CDs that work. They were burned about 15 years ago, in .mp3 format and most importantly using TDK blank discs. My other older burned Sony, Memorex and Fuji audio CDs do not work. Other variables that could be relevant are I used an older (and retired) computer to burn those TDK discs using an older version of Windows Media Player. The recently burned CDs (that don't work) are Memorex and Maxwell brands using Roxio Creator Classic to burn them. I may have to invest in some new TDK discs to see if it is simply the blank disc brand that's the problem.

You can always make a mix tape and play it through the cassette player.

A CD-R and not a CD-RW. Also use a 640k CD WAV format with a full commit burn.

It must be 15 years ago was the last time I did this ....used Nero.

Might be time to use a M bus emulator with a hdd of mp3s and hide it behind the CD player.. I always wanted a phatbox with WiFi.

edit: Looks like the Yatour M07 m-bus is what you need at $60-$80 depending on where you purchase.

Last edited:
A CD-R and not a CD-RW. Also use a 640k CD WAV format with a full commit burn.

It must be 15 years ago was the last time I did this ....used Nero.

Might be time to use a M bus emulator with a hdd of mp3s and hide it behind the CD player.. I always wanted a phatbox with WiFi.

edit: Looks like the Yatour M07 m-bus is what you need at $60-$80 depending on where you purchase.

Thank you! Sounds like a great idea. Unfortunately it looks like something like a Phatbox isn't available anymore. I'm sorry but I'm a real neophyte when it comes to current electronics and media players. If I were to hook up the Yatour and connect a HDD with my mp3s loaded on it then would "control" be similar to operating the CD player (like forward/back selection of tracks?) through the OEM dash interface?h

Also, do know of a cassette slot adapter that could act as an iPhone holder?

It's been a long time, but the mbus should recognize 99 CDs each with 99 tracks, the Yatour should divide up your audio files into virtual CD's and their tracks.

I suppose you could also do an integrated wifi mass storage so you can download without physical interaction.

The Yatour is available from AliExpress as well as Amazon, not that expensive.

Stop with the cassette player, it's over.

Last edited:
Grom makes an adapter that works with the OEM head unit and is a direct plug-in replacement for the CD changer. Gives you access to 6 x 99 .mp3 files on a USB stick directly accessible from the controls on the head unit, also supports Bluetooth connection. The only down side is that the 99 files must be in a flat file structure.

Grom makes an adapter that works with the OEM head unit and is a direct plug-in replacement for the CD changer. Gives you access to 6 x 99 .mp3 files on a USB stick directly accessible from the controls on the head unit, also supports Bluetooth connection. The only down side is that the 99 files must be in a flat file structure.
I did this (even as an older owner)...and LOVE it!

Clever idea.

[FONT=&quot]I spoke with someone from GROM Audio and they recommended [/FONT]the MBUSDU3 https://gromaudio.com/store/usb_adapters/grom-usb3-mbusd.html for USB stick playing along with the Bluetooth dongle https://gromaudio.com/store/accessories/wireless-btd.html for Bluetooth connection is desired. My question to the forum is whether it makes sense to get Bluetooth dongle or not. I'd like to be able to switch over to Pandora from my iPhone through the Bluetooth connection from time to time but wouldn't know how to switch to the Bluetooth source from the OEM head unit. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks

I installed a grom usb3 a couple of months ago. I use it with my iPhone (via usb). I will say it has been one of the best updates possible for any car. I either play music from my iTunes account or stream through the internet. I happen to live far enough from San Diego that even radio reception is sketchy at times. Through iTunes there is no limit to songs, at least one that I've found. It doesn't work on 30 pin i deivces (like an older ipod), but otherwise is nearly perfect.

I installed a grom usb3 a couple of months ago. I use it with my iPhone (via usb). I will say it has been one of the best updates possible for any car. I either play music from my iTunes account or stream through the internet. I happen to live far enough from San Diego that even radio reception is sketchy at times. Through iTunes there is no limit to songs, at least one that I've found. It doesn't work on 30 pin i deivces (like an older ipod), but otherwise is nearly perfect.

Funny thing. I just decided on doing the same with their Bluetooth dongle accessory. Did you do the installation? And if so, was it complicated at all? Did you get the Bluetooth dongle? And if so, where did you place the phone mic? I plan on using the USB port to play .mp3's on a stick or HDD, the Bluetooth to play Pandora, etc. and the phone mic for hands-free phone operation.

From my chat with a GROM rep:
So the MBUSDU3 https://gromaudio.com/store/usb_adapters/grom-usb3-mbusd.html along with the Bluetooth dongle https://gromaudio.com/store/accessories/wireless-btd.html is what will work for your needs. You will be able to use USB drives and connect via bluetooth.

I installed my Grom in the space behind the driver seat where there is a din connector (before the cable passes the firewall. Took me about 30 mins to connect and using a wire tie secure the Grom to a wire bundle. I routed the usb cable down along the driver side console to my lightning cable.

I didn’t go Bluetooth for now. I most often drive with my windows down so phone conversations are difficult at best. If I did get the Bluetooth I’d likely run the mic cable up the A Pillar to by the visor, a la old school cell phone.

I installed my Grom in the space behind the driver seat where there is a din connector (before the cable passes the firewall. Took me about 30 mins to connect and using a wire tie secure the Grom to a wire bundle. I routed the usb cable down along the driver side console to my lightning cable.

I didn’t go Bluetooth for now. I most often drive with my windows down so phone conversations are difficult at best. If I did get the Bluetooth I’d likely run the mic cable up the A Pillar to by the visor, a la old school cell phone.

Thanks for giving me that idea. The GROM tech had suggested pulling the head unit and installing it behind that. But your placement sounds potentially easier to do. Sorry for my ignorance but where precisely is the location of that din connector behind the driver seat? I don't want to start taking apart my car's interior without knowing directly where I am going. Thanks in advance!

Connecting to the back of the head unit requires removal of the center console and that is best to be avoided if you can. Its a fair amount of work and easy to break plastic parts on a 28 year old car if you are not very careful, sometimes even if you are very careful. The center armrest and back panel removal is easier; however, the tabs on the back panel can snap on you during removal. Get a copy of the .pdf version of the 1991 service manual and the body section will give you a step by step on the things you need to remove with nice pictures. Links to the .pdf file can be found on Prime. If you check the electrical section of the manual / stereo I thought there was a picture showing the location of the DIN cable.

As a suggestion, disconnect your CD changer and plug the Grom into the DIN cable in the trunk connected to the CD changer. This will allow you to test the thing and make sure that you are happy with it (no sense installing a dud). If you decide that you need to be able to physically connect your mobile device to it, then you can install it behind the seat with an accessible cable. I just run off of files on a USB stick. I have the Grom tucked out of site behind the trunk liner and a USB extension cord to connect to a USB stick just hanging over the edge of the trunk liner. I have 3 USB sticks with files so when I get tired of the 594 files on one, I just open the trunk and swap USB sticks - good for another couple of months.

Connecting to the back of the head unit requires removal of the center console and that is best to be avoided if you can. Its a fair amount of work and easy to break plastic parts on a 28 year old car if you are not very careful, sometimes even if you are very careful. The center armrest and back panel removal is easier; however, the tabs on the back panel can snap on you during removal. Get a copy of the .pdf version of the 1991 service manual and the body section will give you a step by step on the things you need to remove with nice pictures. Links to the .pdf file can be found on Prime. If you check the electrical section of the manual / stereo I thought there was a picture showing the location of the DIN cable.

As a suggestion, disconnect your CD changer and plug the Grom into the DIN cable in the trunk connected to the CD changer. This will allow you to test the thing and make sure that you are happy with it (no sense installing a dud). If you decide that you need to be able to physically connect your mobile device to it, then you can install it behind the seat with an accessible cable. I just run off of files on a USB stick. I have the Grom tucked out of site behind the trunk liner and a USB extension cord to connect to a USB stick just hanging over the edge of the trunk liner. I have 3 USB sticks with files so when I get tired of the 594 files on one, I just open the trunk and swap USB sticks - good for another couple of months.

Thanks Old Guy! That's exactly what I had wanted to do originally but the GROM Audio guy suggested that the adapter could not connect to the cable (in the truck side) connecting to the CD changer? I would have no problem just changing out USB sticks from time-to-time. That would really uncomplicate things. I'm cool with that simple setup and not risk damaging any trim parts by taking apart my interior. Heck, I changed out CD magazines for years and didn't really think of it as a big inconvenience.

Quite surprised that the original ancient CD changer could handle MP3 in early 90s but never tried it by myself.
If you can play some of the files but not the others, then probably something to do with the file system and bit rate, VBR, etc as MP3 has lots of different variants.

For the CD changer port adaptor, the devices from GROM and the USA Spec PA11-HON are the popular choice.

If bluetooth integration (control the device through OEM head unit via bluetooth) through AVCRP is a must, then GROM is the only choice over the USA Spec.

Later, USA Spec released bluetooth version but unfortunately, unlike PA11-HON, it doesn't support NSX OEM head unit.
With the PA11-HON, you can connect bluetooth receiver at the AUX port but it doesn't handle AVCRP through its firmware so you can only control the streamed source through the hosting device itself (mobile phone, etc) and not though the head unit.

With GROM bluetooth dongle, as long as your device (mobile phone, etc) supports A2DP and AVRCP bluetooth spec, then you can stream and control the source though the head unit such as stop/play/skip the music, answer/reject/stop the phone call, etc.
If you receive/make a call while playing music, etc, it will pause the music and prioritise the phone call.
Once finished the call, the music will resume from where it was paused.

wQNwCQLQBKKZiI_LZjwkhD6km9lWMreQf83LEMn-3thk3pDRwKzr4KONMws3eB6j814RlYKpw6iSHPecasNgtfJUqN-upnhUJpKx_iUx3DBcvnHS11Bt91jUz3aWWkU4AItRaBb3OUopItfbr8__HpSwgP7zWhkt8r0KFbyihL-72CJrRC7AW6USM4NcG1I5O8vO1LJ5OeYYiUxJ9h8Zc_7flEjrgcHjaNo8-Zksj8r0s8dj-s-dOTZOXQ1ZJyNXUI5khITSrKhkWUFKYginuUW9ZTyM_Jyi-m2nSWdbFYzPte0XBukXisHIX19X5YdClXBKYcg11Tssa7TRMnaQnM8H67sVeIIdaS0rLrl1IGVA2yzQqgQjml3-Mlp7wtj_n-qSiaFlwB2glgcNe741AWYqmSIwFG5ss5UyhwJbF60kah5rLtRdcd268N5LTF1tr1cE8la_C4rcBcdRx4xm44zY5aA7Eyi6qr9aORY6nfDUctx49Lj7wH02w4X-opsTAkijmMTgwDImN1Yfon0POWDlGwewJA2Qb83pM-7cjl3LX4P2uSL6JCmplVGSlfPtIq5G1mMRotseK8w3Vx7-j4SeQqK9oSghqmQD0NgXPajB9XEJp3bwlnDBdgBc8N1Sy5BWx04sXPG84FmIsaRnHxl8j89AVQyS_51NfWykjsNlWpUIxvusc1RCP8xw4H_qEbMGltxDKb0OF8Zhy7G8v8t2IXzSD1vNXhSulPtTrIAy_4Rz=w1080-h608-no

For the installation, please note that the adaptor loom from GROM is very short.
Can't remember the exact length but imagine like 20 - 30cm.

You will have fun switching between USB and AUX mode with that whispering voice....

zP_fR-tQvGTtCFn3WB8dyOJONobRY8SLQb0hcLkZNhh0fumEUUfO6paMvzRhKxKOacqxRllX8j0g7ApW2NkYV1yG2JF5rnc4FtLnEn8ZP6aJSi9oyUyyDmJ6w--LUJz0uf5jQQYz5roQeGAW5AYdlYzXxclrf6OLxHVP_tA591TPbqUUwtCCXqD-YYSqXzSWNwJKp6h-LzeAsgqxugsb5FsetXxKlB2WQ51V1Wu4mirz1v68nAAnJvJurloTQIu5O4NrfDv8aU3jmJV65zttGf_DG8j8JH2zZW_rRFxQuXd1XV2YkYNC0YZTm5nVJ_1ZC2JrFERFGhOWQqGMqDfp58T1xfIep9DbKby6fh9lQm9NrfUXR6CxKk4wrofBF9-hnoJZfX_oL-UH8R95N0ESYm8yuToUfyM1QqwRcQwH7xXp1R4tyuqua_7LeIAP0pN32VxmLbCx8OsIUIOVFAgU8L5j-52cl-3Y8TYWRYkMVZ--GZW7apd0o84I5he-CxrczBXhaE05jd2MMnEolCIDun1xMvabGvgtFUgByF_Dn5AT27GBtmgVZgF62p1QacMmoDAatuqC4eNnEqRXtWP80U4CXIF2UKv7oaZJUcDvS9kLinkWGEoZ0xrEstNDbBChW7egEi578gSTgOYIm0EUi-YjW7InZiwrfNHu-wOqrPTq65MrON7EjnPiFBleYJe0HLfsd10LobEdmKx78S-cmvKG78Nf-Ym6ThmTByl-sUSZaaPl=w1080-h810-no

Personally, I would recommend installing the unit where you can access it later with ease and not behind the audio head unit.

The original position of the CD changer ext connector behind the left side seat (driver side on LHD model) marked in green.
It has black DIN connector with BLUE cable sleeve.
There is another black DIN connector nearby with BLACK cable sleeve but that's for the ancient phone system so be careful.

In the above photo, the actual CD changer DIN connector is pulled towards the centre of the cabin and marked in smaller yellow circle.
The larger one is the GROM adaptor loom.

You may find some of the photos helpful here;
http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/entry.php?2241-Brake-OH-DR-shaft-etc-10

http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/entry.php?2242-Brake-OH-DR-shaft-etc-11

http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/entry.php?2246-Brake-OH-DR-shaft-etc-15

As a side note, USA Spec PA11-HON here;
http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/entry.php?763-Annual-Service-Audio-Head-Unit-03

Kaz

Last edited:
Thanks Old Guy! That's exactly what I had wanted to do originally but the GROM Audio guy suggested that the adapter could not connect to the cable (in the truck side) connecting to the CD changer? I would have no problem just changing out USB sticks from time-to-time. That would really uncomplicate things. I'm cool with that simple setup and not risk damaging any trim parts by taking apart my interior. Heck, I changed out CD magazines for years and didn't really think of it as a big inconvenience.

Its been 7 or 8 years since I installed my Grom; but, with the Honda specific adapter cable from Grom all I recall doing was unplug and remove the CD drive and plug in the Grom. I might have required a gender changer for the cable; but, I don't think so. That would be easy to confirm by checking the gender on the existing cable that plugs into the CD drive and making sure that it will work with the Grom adapter cable. I think the Grom DIN terminal is male.

Its been 7 or 8 years since I installed my Grom; but, with the Honda specific adapter cable from Grom all I recall doing was unplug and remove the CD drive and plug in the Grom. I might have required a gender changer for the cable; but, I don't think so. That would be easy to confirm by checking the gender on the existing cable that plugs into the CD drive and making sure that it will work with the Grom adapter cable. I think the Grom DIN terminal is male.

I'm pretty sure it will install in the truck no problem.

I installed in the passenger compartment because I want to stream from my iPhone, and didn't want to have to run a usb cable back up to the passenger compartment. That being said, I am pretty sure there is a bulkhead (passenger and truck) pass thru from where the (on my 92) factory cell phone cabling goes through and could be used for the usb / Bluetooth mic.

Thanks for the advice about trying the unit first in the trunk. I just received my USB3 adapter and it appears to be not working. When switching to "CD" source the numbers flickered around a little and then just settled in at 01-01. I had simply disconnected the CD changer and plugged the adapter into the DIN cable (it fit fine). I then inserted a thumb drive with just five .mp3s on it for testing purposes. I made sure the songs could be played through a UBS port on the computer before trying in the USB3. They played fine through VLC Media Player on my computer. I'm wondering whether I did something wrong or I should disconnect the battery to reset the car's electronics or something else before declaring it a faulty unit? One other point, I confirmed that the CD changer was working properly before doing this. The GROM Audio live chat wasn't very helpful. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the advice about trying the unit first in the trunk. I just received my USB3 adapter and it appears to be not working. When switching to "CD" source the numbers flickered around a little and then just settled in at 01-01. I had simply disconnected the CD changer and plugged the adapter into the DIN cable (it fit fine). I then inserted a thumb drive with just five .mp3s on it for testing purposes. I made sure the songs could be played through a UBS port on the computer before trying in the USB3. They played fine through VLC Media Player on my computer. I'm wondering whether I did something wrong or I should disconnect the battery to reset the car's electronics or something else before declaring it a faulty unit? One other point, I confirmed that the CD changer was working properly before doing this. The GROM Audio live chat wasn't very helpful. Any suggestions?

I am working from memory because my Grom instructions are out in the car in the garage and its raining and I am lazy so....

Have a look at the instructions, particularly the file set up. Did you load the five .mp3 files in to the root directory of the USB stick? If so, that may be confusing the USB drive because at that level it is looking for directories, not files. All of my USB sticks are set up with 6 directories in the root directory with up to 99 files in each directory (the sub directories correspond to each CD). The Grom may be looking for the 6 directories (might work with less - I haven't tried). Try creating 6 subdirectories with one file in each (duplicate one of your files to fill the 6 directory).

Did you plug the Grom into an already powered up head unit? That may not work because the head unit may not be recognizing the Grom. Power up the head unit after the Grom is connected

If the above doesn't work. With the Grom disconnected, power up the head unit, switch to radio and then turn everything off. Connect up the Grom with the radio unpowered and then turn the head unit on. Switch from radio to CD. You should hear a voice say "USB". If you don't get that read through the instructions about mode set up. Its been 7 or 8 years since I did this; but, I recall a little drill you had to go through to cycle through 3 modes in the Grom to get it to work. I did it once at the start and haven't done it since so the specifics have disappeared from my volatile memory.

If you don't get the voice then it is possible that the Grom might truly be dead. Definitely read the set up part of the manual because I am fuzzy as to when the voice appears. I know that if you don't cycle through the modes at initial power up and select the correct mode at the right time it won't work. Also, check the instructions because the voice feature may no longer be on the latest versions of the Grom.

Finally, if you get the voice and your USB drive is set up with the 6 directories, check the light on your USB to see if it is trying to read the files. The USB extension cable might be faulty.

Based upon your description of the problem, my initial gut reaction is that file structure is the cause of the problem. When I connected mine up with a USB stick with 6 directories I think I had about 5 minutes of set-up and that was it. @TomCat has a more recent version of the Grom so may be able to advise on whether the set up procedure has changed

Last edited:
The grom works with an iPhone (and an adroid, I believe). I am fairly sure when first powered up, it does show 1-1.

Every once in a while I will get an "err" type indication of the radio. I just turn off the power (at the key) and restart. As noted from Old Guy, you should hear the USB indication when starting, pressing the "next track" button (preset 4 top right) toggles it from USB to aux 1 or aux 2. All that happens when first turning on the radio / power to the radio.

Hopefully by now you have figured it out.

Back