• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

1991 radio options

I am the new owner of a 1991 red-black with an aftermarket , poorly installed Pioneer radio . This glaring radio looks inappropriate for a 1991 vehicle . I have read the original Bose is not worth considering . Has anyone installed any "looks original" radio from some other car ? The radio in my wife's 2002 Accord looks right , but is a little too wide . Any suggestions ?

If you're looking for OEM, then the only option is the OEM replacement one. Keep an eye out for one on the Marketplace.

I have an OEM radio I would sell. PM me if interested. I also have the CD changer that goes with it.

I don't think so as it's $800 or so.

I am still stuck on the idea of known to be reliable , looks to be period correct replacement radio from the Honda group of cars . My obsessive compulsive disorder keeps me from spending $800 for a reconstructed radio with non functional buttons .

Well then put in an OEM. Nothing else is going to look right. You are going to hack up the center console to put an accord radio in there?? doesn't make much sense. It's going to look terrible and not even perform well. What's the point? if you want it "correct" then go OEM. If you don't care about the look then install something that at least sounds good. You do realize the NSX has a specific radio shape on the console no other Honda has, right?

The console is already hacked and needs a do over . How an optional radio would look , would depend on the skill sets of the installer-fabricator . I do not think an NSX is a good environment for music listening . No numbers , just opinion .

My NSX is a great environment for music listening. Then again I have poured more $$$ into that aspect of it than most people are likely willing to. It *can* be done.

interesting,i didn't know they were offering a new updated head unit in the oem shell-has anyone tried this?

I bought this from DocL before he totaled his NSX. It is the original rebuilt version which I see has now been "updated" in 2014. Mine has a USB port built directly into the unit, rather than a separate cable-tethered USB. Why the change, I do not know. The new unit has the orange colored background to match the NSX dash lighting, whereas mine has blue-whitish lettering on a black background, which I have gotten used to. The USB port also doubles as a phone charger and the unit has wireless bluetooth, which receives and sends calls through the radio speakers.

I rarely play AM or FM and just plug my iphone into the USB port which plays my stored music lists and I also extensively use the Pandora and iTunes Radio features. The "toggle" on/off volume button which is essentially a switch to advance stations and bands, is a bit of a hassle and can be confusing, so I use the wireless remote instead which does the same things and is much easier to use.

When you factor in the costs of a double din console remake; the cost of stereo units which have similar features; installation costs; etc., the expense of this unit is really not that excessive and the beauty of it is, it looks exactly the same as OEM. Only an NSX aficionado will notice it is not the OEM radio. I like it.

The console is already hacked and needs a do over . How an optional radio would look , would depend on the skill sets of the installer-fabricator . I do not think an NSX is a good environment for music listening . No numbers , just opinion .

I am not trying to argue, just wondering if you've really thought this through. So you want to have an older school radio, a honda radio, installed inside a modified NSX center console? No one has ever done this. I just don't see how you can make that look right. It will look weird to anyone that knows what an NSX dash should look like OEM, and it will look weird to anyone that has a nice double din screen installed. It will neither be OEM looking, nor will it be modern looking.

You are talking about a double DIN cutout in the comsole, holding something outdated like this:

Ho011_1__69773_zoom.jpg

That won't even work with the factory speakers or amps. So you will then have to redo all of that too.

Last edited:
take your time do it right,,or get someone on prime to build you one,, i used an pioneer app radio and custom built my console with bondo and a face plate,then raped it in carbon fiber,,worth it,,,and put a rear view camera in that shows on radio screen,,,so glad i did that!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_2223.jpg

take your time do it right,,or get someone on prime to build you one,, i used an pioneer app radio and custom built my console with bondo and a face plate,then raped it in carbon fiber,,worth it,,,and put a rear view camera in that shows on radio screen,,,so glad i did that!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 115578
That looks really clean. I'm replacing my OEM with a double din Kenwood. I thought I'd pass on the back up camera. Why are you glad you installed one?

Backup cameras are very handy, especially if you have a non-oem wing. The R wing blocks so vision and a big ass wing blocks even more.

I have a backup camera in my Toyota Tacoma and have come to rely on it for backing . Do you know of a double D radio available with this feature ?

It's petty common actually.

That looks really clean. I'm replacing my OEM with a double din Kenwood. I thought I'd pass on the back up camera. Why are you glad you installed one?
the back up camera keeps you from hitting your diffuser or rear valence,,all you have to do is back your nsx as close to an object,,curb,,,then remember what it looks like on your camera,,then you will now when to stop,,,i hit a few times with out it ,,,now i never hit!!!

- - - Updated - - -

I have a backup camera in my Toyota Tacoma and have come to rely on it for backing . Do you know of a double D radio available with this feature ?
most have it now ,,pioneer app radio is what i have

I'll take it into consideration. I've never been concerned about hitting the diffuser and my car doesnt have a wing. My third car garage has the NSX, 2 motorcycles, a rolling tool box and an air compressor. I guess the camera would be cheaper than the damage caused to the car or motorcycles if I hit something. Since the camera works while moving, I do see value in it. I've lost track of a couple cars behind and beside me while zipping through traffic because of the limited view around the car. BTW...I'll have an OEM Bose stereo, CD changer, and OEM subwoofer with enclosure available around August 29th on Marketplace from my 1991. Everything works perfectly including the tape deck. Not that anyone would use it. And unless the installer has an accident, a center console that's in good shape.

Back