• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

1995 CEL but no code

I went out for a quick drive today and the check engine light came on intermittently. It was actually acting like a door open light as it would go on and off depending on if I was corner or going over bumps. I pulled the code with my OBD 2 code reader and it came up with no codes. I then used a second code reader with the same result. My reader has a lot of functions and one of them shows 118 parameters real time, the first of which says MIL light off. I did the paper clip jumper to the blue connector just incase the OBD 2 port was broken but it did not give any flashing lights. I even pulled the clock fuse for 15 minutes to no avail.

So my question is what would cause the check engine light to go on but not actually have a code? My car is a 1995 if that makes a difference. Thanks,

Is it possible that you were seeing the TCS light flickering on and off and not the check engine light?

It was definitely the check engine light as I stared at it for an hour while checking for the obd codes. I ended up resetting the battery and it is out for now. I will go out for another drive and see if it comes back. The odd thing is the OBD II code reader could not see or erase the MIL light. It is making me think the light itself is faulty.

For people with 95's are you able to read your OBD II codes just like a 1996+? I read on here that the 1995 is just like the 1996 but I just want to make sure.

Note that the shop manual for the '96 is the '95 shop manual, plus a very small supplement. The trouble shooting codes are only in the '95 manual. SO, '95 and '96 should be identical.

Out of curiousity, instead of reading the OBDII scanner, did you try a paper clip or wire short in the blue connector and just read the blinks from the MIL/CEL light? It would be interesting to see if the ECM puts out any codes via the blinks. The manual lists both the "light blinks" and the OBDII codes.

Given the conditions when the light came on, and the fact that no code is stored, I wonder if there may be an intermittent electrical problem, where the circuit between the ECU and the light is getting grounded out somehow.

ftuhy - I jumped the blue connector and no lights blinked at all. I knew I had the right connector because two of the lights would go out when I connected the paper clip.

Daedalus - That is exactly what it sounds like to me as I checked with two different OBD 2 scanners and did the manual paper clip check. I was driving normal and the light would come on when going over a bump or around a corner. At first it would go on only when corning or going over a bump, then it stayed on constant. At times it would blink on and off in tune with the car going over a bump. This makes me think it could be a ground issue. Are there common ground points to check?

It sounds like a bad connection/ground to me too but, depending on the car's original delivery date, this could be covered under the extended warranty which includes the line "The extension covers (a) ANY defect that has resulted in the illumination of the malfunction indicator light on your vehicle dashboard display"

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Reference/tsb/98-031.htm

Pls post the source of the problem once it's found (I have a '95 too).

Back