• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

1995 NSX - TCS Button Stuck

Hey everyone,

I hopped into my car yesterday and was driving along when I noticed that my TCS button had been "pushed in/activated"

I rarely use this button so I know I didn't push it. We are having a record heatwave up here in Canada and my car was sitting in the sun for a few hours so I wonder if that had anything to do with it? The problem is that I can't push the button again to make it pop out.

The TCS light has not come on my dash so even though the button is activated, the TCS is still on.

Has anyone had this happen? Is there some small spring behind the button that might have failed?

Matt

The TCS control button operation changed over the years. According to the Wiki, on the 1995 models

• Traction Control Light no longer shines green when activated, still shines yellow when inactive

So, if your light is not illuminated, that suggests that the TCS is on. That is the way my 2000 is set up. Check your owners manual to confirm the operation.

I don't think I have your problem because my TCS button has been in the on position for 10+ years; but, I have never tried to switch it off. That said, I would be inclined to spray some silicone lubricant in around the opening of the switch and then wiggle / press the switch to see if that frees it up. Otherwise you are into switch removal from the dash which at a minimum requires removal of the lower bolster to gain access. With the lower bolster off, you may be able to reach the switch with your hands; but, I don't think you will be able to see it at the same time as you can touch it. An endoscope inspection camera may be required to see what you are doing. Removal is going to be interesting which makes the silicone lube thing worth trying. If you do get the switch out, I expect that the cover will pry off to reveal what is stuck.

Yes. The TCS is definitely still on which I’m fine with. I’ll try some spray and see if that loosens it up. Thanks!!

Matt

Local autoparts stores sell electrical cleaner spray, i would try that before a silicone spray. if the button is something youd rather replace i know MITA sells a replacement fairly priced, IIRC $70?

I have a 91 and noticed the other day that the actual TCS button has a small green light that is illuminated. When press the button a yellow light comes on in the dash indicating the TCS is off.

I never noticed that small green light before.

Thanks. I don't think it's an electrical connection issue. It's simply that the button cannot be pushed in/out. It's as if the button has been pushed in, but the TCS is still operational. I may opt just to purchase a new button.

Matt

I was meaning to use the electrical cleaner in the same location you were previously spraying the silicone lube since the electrical cleaner is safe for the electronic connections and would clean out any debris that is preventing the button from comming out.
However the more i think about it it could just be a small broken spring, if there is supposed to be a spring, that has fallen out of place?

Back