• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

1996 NSX-T, (Ad here on Prime) JH4NA1186TT000079

VIN# JH4NA1186TT000079

It has been years since I have had an NSX, so I would love input from Prime members on this car/deal. Seller seems honest and direct, said the window regulator on driver side is going and a/c needs re-charge, both seem typical. what else should I be looking for in a '96 NSX-T?

This one has 2002 front end conversion and some mods, with 115k miles. I plan on driving the car a lot and putting miles on it, what should I do pro-actively and can we still get parts for them such as decent clutch/brakes/coolant lines etc?

Thank you for your help, looking forward to getting back into an NSX :biggrin:

Re: 1996 NSX-T, (Ad here on Prime)

Looks good to me, but I haven't been pricing that particular category of NSX. What I would do if I were in your shoes is:

1. Hit the wiki, can't ever go wrong. Pages like this: http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Category:Purchasing_an_NSX and also the maintenance sections so you can get an idea of what sort of things to be on the look out for.

2. Check the prices of cars in that category for the past 6-8 months. Keep in mind that LIST price does not equal sold price. That will give you a pricing ballpark.

3. well priced, well maintained cars can go fast, so if you decide to go with the car, don't spend too much time debating - get your research done quick and make your move.

4. Find a reputable mechanic who can do a private party inspection. That's the real way to know what's going on.

This is also a great resource:
http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/includes/htup_0810_acura_nsx_buyers_guide/viewall.html

Re: 1996 NSX-T, (Ad here on Prime)

For some reason this car just worries me... could be the price.. the vagueness of the current owner. It seems, at least to me that the current owner really doesnt know anything about this vehicle except for what the previous owner stated was done to it.

They say '02 conversion, but it looks more like '02 styled conversion with just the headlights that don't quite look right either. I would ask for better photos to be posted and find out the true service records. The add posts whatever small bling, and even in the owners recent paragraph response to "all interested parties" there were several key questions that you know everyone has, that were not addressed.

This car could be an incredible steal... but it could be an incredible mistake. For that price, I would just have it checked out... sometimes steals come by.

They say '02 conversion, but it looks more like '02 styled conversion with just the headlights that don't quite look right either.
That bothers me as well. It's more of a custom kit than a real '02 conversion, and the owner should be upfront about that.
careful i believe this car had a lien on it and was sold at the auction. look at the vehicle history report. very suspicious imo
I noticed that the carfax noted the door trim panel was replaced in 2000 even though the report says "no accidents/damage reported", I wonder why. And does carfax really need to state that it was washed/detailed in 2001, as if that was the only wash it had ever received? I wouldn't trust the carfax too much on this one, a thorough PPI would be the way to go. This could be a good deal, but then again, if any of the custom body pieces get damaged, it could be $$$ to repair.

can anyone tell if those are oem headlights or gt-ones ? ive asked the seller but with no response. with an oem 2002+ front bumper, side/rear skirts, better sized wheels and a few minor things; the car could be pretty sweet i would imagine!

Those don't look like OEM headlights to me, could be the angle but they look a tad dark. Kinda like the suped up red/black one for sale in the Market.

I would guess the owner hasn't replied because they are either too busy, or just don't know... since they got it from someone else that is not in the country anymore (convenient).

I don't want to beat this car up or anything, just a lot of questions and without detailed better photos (not 1 megapixel at 640x480) along with someone to take a real look at it, then its up to speculation.

I'm wondering about the covered switch next to the start button. Has it had NOS installed and run through the engine?

Spoke to the owner. That is an engine shut off switch. His friend and previous owner installed the start button on a one way relay. So two separate buttons/switches; start and stop.

Thanks for the clarification.

The lack or slowness in responding to questions are mainly due to overwhelming interest in the car. 4 cash offers above asking price in 3 days just tells me that I priced in way below market. :cool:

Thanks for the clarification.

The lack or slowness in responding to questions are mainly due to overwhelming interest in the car. 4 cash offers above asking price in 3 days just tells me that I priced in way below market. :cool:

you probably added a whole new meaning to fireside sale....

This car is now in Canada. Winnipeg, Manitoba to be exact. It is sitting at the Honda dealership on Regent.

It has 18" fronts, 19" rears. The front wheel well liners have been removed and there is major rubbing and the fender lip is damage due to this rubbing. I wouldn't call this an '02 conversion. The front is completely mismatched from the hood, which is vented and does not fit well at all with the fenders. The hood is mis-aligned and sits well below the edges of the both fenders. The rear brake lights are completely cracked and scratched and broken in one place. Non stock exhaust. Window tint is very dark on the sides so hard to get a good look inside. But the center console is completely shot. It was carbon fiber but with the has been completely butchered. The dealer has been trying to rewire this car, but there are having trouble getting it to run. There are parts from the dash all over the floor of the car. The seats are not bad, slight bolster wear on the drivers side. It looks like a short shifter, but maybe just a new shifter knob, but there appears to be no shifter boot and it is open right thru the console. The paint really isn't very good. The front is completely redone. The rear bumper appears redone as well. The paints just doesn't appear shiney, it is dull, and has almost an orange tinge to it.
I spent about half an hour yesterday looking this car over. It was just sitting outside the dealership. The word on the street is that they are trying to get it running and are going to flip it for 40K.

When I look back and think about how much I paid for my minty little '91, I just feel sorry for the next owner of this vehicle.

back from the dead; but in canada this time...

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=164967

its crazy how fast nsx's are sold .... then bought ... and then sold ...

This car is now in Canada. Winnipeg, Manitoba to be exact. It is sitting at the Honda dealership on Regent.

It has 18" fronts, 19" rears. The front wheel well liners have been removed and there is major rubbing and the fender lip is damage due to this rubbing. I wouldn't call this an '02 conversion. The front is completely mismatched from the hood, which is vented and does not fit well at all with the fenders. The hood is mis-aligned and sits well below the edges of the both fenders. The rear brake lights are completely cracked and scratched and broken in one place. Non stock exhaust. Window tint is very dark on the sides so hard to get a good look inside. But the center console is completely shot. It was carbon fiber but with the has been completely butchered. The dealer has been trying to rewire this car, but there are having trouble getting it to run. There are parts from the dash all over the floor of the car. The seats are not bad, slight bolster wear on the drivers side. It looks like a short shifter, but maybe just a new shifter knob, but there appears to be no shifter boot and it is open right thru the console. The paint really isn't very good. The front is completely redone. The rear bumper appears redone as well. The paints just doesn't appear shiney, it is dull, and has almost an orange tinge to it.
I spent about half an hour yesterday looking this car over. It was just sitting outside the dealership. The word on the street is that they are trying to get it running and are going to flip it for 40K.

When I look back and think about how much I paid for my minty little '91, I just feel sorry for the next owner of this vehicle.

Last edited:
Back