• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

1997 NSX owners and their thoughts

eg9

Contributing Member
I've read through the FAQ but was wanting more specific information regarding the 1997 NSX from possible owners or others who have good info on that year. What would a 1997 go for if it is in good condition and has 30K miles? Any weaknesses with that year? Does anyone have a picture of a 1997 Silver?

Thanks in advance for any help with this guys.

Ed-

IMO, the 1997+ cars are better products than the 91,92 models. No snap-ring, widow regulators, no shrinking windshield molding problems. The car is definitely faster with much better 1st to 2nd shift. I particularly like the power steering which is well engineered with feels just like the manual at above 30mph. I don't like the flex and cowl shake of the Targa compared to the coupe which is solid like a rock. 97+ get the bigger brakes. The clutch on the 97+ is quite heavier than the early models but I like it that way. My impression is from owning both a 1992 manual coupe and a 1997 manual Targa for almost 2 years. Don't get me wrong though. The earlier cars are awesome cars in their own right. The 97+ are just a bit better. I have own a few European sport/GT cars before. The NSXs are by far the best.
Steve

does anyone have the Type S / Type R/Type S Zero here?? My next NSX would be one of those... (cos for the price of 97+ models in the UK, I could import these from Japan. But I don't have the cash for it at the mo. )

Thanks for the reply guys. I appreciate the help!

Joel said:
How does an NSX "flex" exactly?
I have a 94 so I don't know.
When you go over bumps or uneven roads, the car has more squeaking at the targa top and it just does not feel as solid as the coupe.
Steve

whiteNSXs said:
When you go over bumps or uneven roads, the car has more squeaking at the targa top and it just does not feel as solid as the coupe.
Steve

But wouldn't any targa do that???

LGNSX

whiteNSXs said:
When you go over bumps or uneven roads, the car has more squeaking at the targa top and it just does not feel as solid as the coupe.Steve
Is flex only with the top off or do you notice the flex all the time?

Rai Zero said:
Is flex only with the top off or do you notice the flex all the time?
With the top off, there is a little more flex. It might be just my imagination though since I know theoretically the top add a little more integrity.
Steve

All cars have flex. For my NSX-T the flex is evident when the roof's off, but when the roof is attached it's almost comparable to my former coupe. I think the difference between having the roof off and on is like night and day, but regardless, coupes still "feel" much more rigid.

fangtl said:
All cars have flex. For my NSX-T the flex is evident when the roof's off, but when the roof is attached it's almost comparable to my former coupe. I think the difference between having the roof off and on is like night and day, but regardless, coupes still "feel" much more rigid.

Why did you go to a T. over your coupe? Would you go back?

Well I love the T. I think if you are not into track and just want the look, the T is the way to go.

LGNSX

Am I the only one who thinks that the only way to find the flex of any NSX-T is to REALLY push it? I'm talking above public road-level driving (more like track event driving).

I found some awesome twisty roads last night (esses, almost no traffic, smooth new pavement) and I attacked them pretty hard with the top off. I can't tell too much difference. Stuck like glue...like always....

kgb_agent: For me, I have found that when my roof is off, the difference is very noticeable especially over bumps and/or uneven roads. Perhaps this is b/c I was a former owner of a NSX coupe, but the rigidity difference between the NSX-T with the roof off and the NSX coupe is pronounced.

Lime Green: I picked the NSX-T b/c there just weren't enough 97+ coupes out there for sale.

I was a little surprised just how obvious the flex was when I removed the targa on my '99 for the first time. It was significant enough that I thought I might not take it off again. I've changed my mind since then and I fully appreciate the option in the right conditions. It has made me a little more sensitive to what flex feels like on this car and now I imagine that I can detect it in some conditions even with the top back on though it is never intrusive. If I were making the decision again and had a range of cars to choose from, I would compare a coupe and a targa.

i notice the flex over bumps, and railroad tracks. I was a little dissappointed in the begininng. However, the a targa top does add to the charm of owning such a great car. When the weather cooperates, it is fun to cruise around with the top off. Personally, I feel the targa is the best compromise between a coupe/moonroof/convertible.

with regards to the original question. I decided to buy a '98 just in case their might be any bugs in the '97 upgrade. I didn't know of any bugs, but i didn't want to take the chance.

The rigidity difference is noticeable and that's an undeniable fact. I currently own a 1994 coupe, and a 1997 T. Both cars are great and I do like the 1997 better because of the power steering, higher power and the better tranny with which the 1997 is a better car to drive around. I like the coupe's rigidity over the T's hand down. My ideal will be a white 1997+ coupe with manual tranny and color-matched top but these are extremely rare. Zanardi won't fill the bill for me since it does not have power steering. My first experience with the power steering was driving David Hwang's beautiful Spa Yellow down some country road. It was 1999 and I had a 1992 coupe. One drive of the 1997 and I was sold on the power steering. The decrease of the rigidity from the T is a price to pay for an open top car. It all depends on what you want.
Steve

Back