• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

2001 - 2003 Audi S8

I'm temped to get an 2001 to 2003 Audi S8 (as seen in the movie "Ronin"). Any thoughts on this car? One big conern I have is the reliability on this car, I don't know how they do in the long term. Ones I'm looking at has 70K to 90K miles on them.

Our 2002 S6 has been good to us. It's no S8, but I'm sure it shares a lot of the same things...4.2l V8, AWD, electronics, etc etc. The only thing we've had go so far is the alternator....oh and the suspension bushings. Otherwise, fine. I say go for it. (Our's has 50k miles now)

Our 2002 S6 has been good to us. It's no S8, but I'm sure it shares a lot of the same things...4.2l V8, AWD, electronics, etc etc. The only thing we've had go so far is the alternator....oh and the suspension bushings. Otherwise, fine. I say go for it. (Our's has 50k miles now)

Thanks for the input! I'm now more confident with the S8, I test drove one a few weeks ago and is quite impressed with it. I also really like the understated look of this car, as well as its rarity.

S6 is a sweet car as well, what is the HP & torque on your S6?

I don't know much about the reliability of the S8 (never had an Audi), but I can tell you that I love the way it looks (and probably would love the way it drives). If you can find a nice, maintained one, go for it! As you said, the understated look w/ this car is about as good as it gets.

You mention that you like the "understated look of this car, as well as its rarity" -- with that being said have you seen or driven a Phaeton? If not, you definitely should. I absolutely love my '04 Phaeton V8 and I believe they're similar in the price on the used market.

This is another hand-built luxury vehicle -- the Phaeton is very similar to the Bently Continental GT with regards to electronics, interior, air suspension, and platform. They're built next to each other in Dresden, Germany.

I don't know much about the reliability of the S8 (never had an Audi), but I can tell you that I love the way it looks (and probably would love the way it drives). If you can find a nice, maintained one, go for it! As you said, the understated look w/ this car is about as good as it gets.

I had a 02 S4 a few years back and I really liked the interior design and also felt the materials used are of high quality. I've started looking for a well maintained clean one, hopefully will come across one soon :rolleyes: .

You mention that you like the "understated look of this car, as well as its rarity" -- with that being said have you seen or driven a Phaeton? If not, you definitely should. I absolutely love my '04 Phaeton V8 and I believe they're similar in the price on the used market.

This is another hand-built luxury vehicle -- the Phaeton is very similar to the Bently Continental GT with regards to electronics, interior, air suspension, and platform. They're built next to each other in Dresden, Germany.

Thanks for the input! In fact, besides the S8, the Phaeton is next on the list of cars I want to own!! Although I've never driven one before (the S8 I have), but I've done quite a bit of research on the Phaeton and thought it is a very nice car. I believe this car is bulit in the glass factory in Dresden. These cars are very rare as well, I saw one been advertised at a local VW dealership however when I visited the dealer the car was sold.

Do you mind share some of your ownership experience? How long you had the car and any issues you have encountered? I love the black one with beige interior.

Ive yet to have a problem with my Audi, great cars. I like it better than the M3:wink:

Do you mind share some of your ownership experience?How long you had the car and any issues you have encountered? I love the black one with beige interior.

Mine is black/black with black wheels & chrome lip and dark tint. I picked it up in March from Volkswagen Credit via dealer auction. (side hobby) My intentions were to flip it, yet I've enjoied it so much that I've been using it as my daily driver ever since. What a wonderful car -- luxurious, has a ton of space -- rear seat leg room is huge -- love the power trunk, lower back massage (all four seats) and cooling seats -- the wood trim panels that flip up for ventalation is very nice also. Bottom line -- it's a very comfortable ride and has many cool German technological features -- VW has registered over 100 patents with the Phaeton.

The only issues I've encountered in the last 3.5k miles is one of the tire pressure sensors can be annoying -- seems like on a cool day it always warns the pressure is low, yet it then adjusts after a couple minutes -- more air doesn't correct the problem. I need to replace it under warranty.

By the way -- I purchased it as a buy back, yet from what I've read and heard I don't believe there are lemon Phaetons out there -- simply some uninformed technicians in certain dealerships that give high paying customers the run-a-round which they won't tolerate. Mine had the thermostat replaced, yet other than that other two complaints functioned as designed.

Here's a nice photo tour of the Dresden factory you mentioned: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1837641

Last edited:
All this talk about Audi S cars must have got to me. I just picked up a 2004 Nogaro blue S4. :)

My NSX is getting a little worried...

All this talk about Audi S cars must have got to me. I just picked up a 2004 Nogaro blue S4. :)

My NSX is getting a little worried...

Oh, I wanted that color so bad. Interior color? Dont tell me alcantera?:biggrin: 6 speed?

Oh, I wanted that color so bad. Interior color? Dont tell me alcantera?:biggrin: 6 speed?

Nogaro blue exterior, Blue/Black alcantera, 6 speed with aluminum trim...oh yeah, it's my dream S4. I'll post pics at some point...the wife is definitely going to be "suprised" lol.

Not to thread steal...but heck, close enough to what we were talking about:
1945218846_221410937_IM1_02_565x421_A_562x421.jpg

1945218848_221410937_IM1_04_565x421_A_562x421.jpg

Nogaro blue exterior, Blue/Black alcantera, 6 speed with aluminum trim...oh yeah, it's my dream S4. I'll post pics at some point...the wife is definitely going to be "suprised" lol.

Not to thread steal...but heck, close enough to what we were talking about:
1945218846_221410937_IM1_02_565x421_A_562x421.jpg

1945218848_221410937_IM1_04_565x421_A_562x421.jpg

Very nice S4 you got there :wink:

My 02 was the exact same color combo, I'm still missing that car :redface:

Im so jealous. I love the yellow but blue....WOW! Any chip'ing in the near future?:biggrin:

Im so jealous. I love the yellow but blue....WOW! Any chip'ing in the near future?:biggrin:

Chipping?! Please tell me more...I just saw you had an '05. That's sweet. Yeah, I've always wanted a Nogaro Blue S4, way back in 01 or whatever...so I said, what the hell...this one came up and I had to have it.

Point me in the right direction for mods (not that I really want another car to mod)

Any luck with the S8 yet? They're hard to find...

Yes they are ... There's one on sale locally but the mileage is 90K+ so I didn't pull the trigger. Still looking ...

However, I did found another car which I can't believe it came across. It's 85 Prelude with only 19.5K original miles on the clock. I had the same car back in my high school days (of course it was a beat up one), when I saw this mint condition Prelude, I just had to get it :smile:

Attachments

• 2365B.03.jpg
    2365B.03.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 68
  • 2365B.05.jpg
    2365B.05.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 64
Ive yet to have a problem with my Audi, great cars. I like it better than the M3:wink:

Its funny you mentioned this, Julia (my fiancee) had to choose between those 2 cars and after test driving both she chose the M3 over the S4 because she says the S4's throttle control makes it difficult to heel toe in and she said the M3 had instant response rather then a lag.

Its funny you mentioned this, Julia (my fiancee) had to choose between those 2 cars and after test driving both she chose the M3 over the S4 because she says the S4's throttle control makes it difficult to heel toe in and she said the M3 had instant response rather then a lag.

I haven't noticed any thottle issues, but then again I haven't driven it very hard yet. I would have to imagine that an M3 would be a better summer car, but up here in Seattle, I'll take the Quattro and 4 doors as my daily beater.

Yes they are ... There's one on sale locally but the mileage is 90K+ so I didn't pull the trigger. Still looking ...

However, I did found another car which I can't believe it came across. It's 85 Prelude with only 19.5K original miles on the clock. I had the same car back in my high school days (of course it was a beat up one), when I saw this mint condition Prelude, I just had to get it :smile:

That's a nice prelude. I had an '85 when i was in college. It had 143000 miles on it when i bought it and 193000 miles when i traded it in for a '95 prelude vtec.

I haven't noticed any thottle issues, but then again I haven't driven it very hard yet.

Dont worry, you will:frown: Only drawback to the S4, IMO:wink:

I have found that Audis are good safe reliable cars that are fun to drive.
Im a Audi nut, I love them i had a Audi A4 2.8Q that i put over 250k on replaced two upper a arms and a drive shaft the kid that has it now drove it for another 50k had to replace the clutch before he wrecked it. My father has a S4 2.7TT APR tuned, and my brother has an S4 with a full RS4 conversion w/twin hybrid KO4 turbos.

The S8 is a hot car:smile:

Back