• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

2003 NSX vs. 2004 Ferrari 360 coupe

Saw a 89 Ferrari 348tb go on the block on a recent edition of "What's My Car Worth" on Velocity. Car went for about $40K plus fees. Condition was pretty good. Some seat wear and some minor paint issues. But I thought the telling aspects of the sale were 1) The selling price and 2) the fact that the car was described as "high mileage" as it had just over 40,000 miles on the clock. I guess for an F car, that's pretty high mileage. Meanwhile a young NSX with 40K isn't even half way to being due for a major service. And I think a 40K-mile 91 NSX could push the F car's selling price pretty hard as I have seen them going in the mid to high 30s lately.

Tracked a 458 a few months ago and it was phenomenal. Phenomenal. Acceleration and braking were violent. I wasn't in love with the interior design (quality is another story…beautiful) but everything is where you need/want it. You soon forget about all of that. It literally did everything I asked it to do…it was like dancing with a pro.

I liked Ferraris before this but fell in love after driving the 458.

Saw a 89 Ferrari 348tb go on the block on a recent edition of "What's My Car Worth" on Velocity. Car went for about $40K plus fees. Condition was pretty good. Some seat wear and some minor paint issues. But I thought the telling aspects of the sale were 1) The selling price and 2) the fact that the car was described as "high mileage" as it had just over 40,000 miles on the clock. I guess for an F car, that's pretty high mileage. Meanwhile a young NSX with 40K isn't even half way to being due for a major service. And I think a 40K-mile 91 NSX could push the F car's selling price pretty hard as I have seen them going in the mid to high 30s lately.
uploadfromtaptalk1434130544359.jpg saw this at my cars and coffee this past weekend and jus made me think that a 91 similar miles would probably sell for more

Possibly, nsxtc. People are asking for stupid money for NSXs this spring. Not sure what they are actually getting, though. I think a lot of the prices you see on Prime and eBay are just feelers.

Tracked a 458 a few months ago and it was phenomenal. Phenomenal. Acceleration and braking were violent. I wasn't in love with the interior design (quality is another story…beautiful) but everything is where you need/want it. You soon forget about all of that. It literally did everything I asked it to do…it was like dancing with a pro.

new NSX should be up to par on acceleration and braking, but ofcourse the 488GTO just lifted things up even a higher notch.

This is why, the 458 is on my bucketlist and as the previous models are just quite not there yet considering all things except power and sound.

I did a track day with a 458 d'Italia.

First impressions...you thought it, it did it. Unlike the R8 and twin turbo Porsche I drove as well, it had no lag and was pure power and control. Someone asked me how fast I got it up to...my answer was, "ten white knuckles." I never was able to look down at the speedo. It was quite the car, fast, responsive, solid brakes. Loud? No idea, I had on a helmet and was focused on driving it hard. The car was in great shape and was not in the normal rotation for track day. I was invited to try it out for a few laps. Then a few more.

Now that I own an NSX (and have never tracked it), my feelings are that for the money and reliability, hands down I prefer the NSX. I suppose I could throw on a Tubi exhaust and get a note close to the Ferrari. I suppose also I could supercharge or turbo the NSX and get much of the power.

Funny this thread started about comparing to a 360. In the lobby of my work building, they rotate exotic cars. Lotus, Ferrari, McLaren...they have all been there. There was a late model, sky blue 360 in there. I loved the size of the car. I loved the longitudinal layout of the motor. I loved the the overall sleekness. Then when I found out what it cost, my thoughts immediately went to...I could just buy an '05 for that money and have enough left over for ten years of maintenance and fuel.

I want to work where you do to look at the cars... We occasionally have a Harrier or V-22 land at our plant, but it's once a year. I could look at exotic cars all day long... [emoji51]

the problem with the 360, is comparing it to a much newer, much better car. if you haven't driven a newer F-model, it's still a fantastic car. it's technically and performance wise superior to the original late model NSX's. if it's in the budget and you don't need to have the newest, latest thing (which obviously us NSX owners don't), then go for it. it'll cost some money, but there's nothing like a Ferrari.

there is a reason that Ferrari mystique exists, it's not hype.

I had the opportunity to drive a Ferrari 458 last year while in Maranello. I have to say that I was quite smitten. I found it to be very comfortable and the cockpit and view from it reminded me a bit of the NSX. Obviously the the layout of the instruments is quite different, especially since virtually all of the controls on the 458 are on the steering wheel--even the turn signals. I believe it's a fair bit larger than the NSX but I didn't feel like it was. Felt small and wrapped around me as an extension of my arms and legs. The handling was sharp and flat and the power was linear and exhilarating. I had always sworn off paddle shifted cars but the one in the Ferrari worked so seamlessly and immediately that I hardly missed the clutch pedal. The purpose of the trip that I was on was to pick up a new BMW M4. After spending a thousand miles in that--many of which were as fast as I had ever driven a car, and the time spent in the Ferrari, my NSX felt slow. Time and memory has faded somewhat since then and my NSX is starting to feel fast again, but the sound and sheer joy I experienced in the 458 will never be forgotten.

very well said, that is an accurate of a depiction of driving the 458 as any other. you've covered all the bases, including our previous debates on clutch pedals and paddle shifters. the 458 is beyond superlative.

the 458 is super comfortable, easy to drive, get into and out of, see out of, live with daily, etc. every bit as much as my 2002 NSX. but turn up the wick on the Ferrari and the comparisons cease right there. obviously it's got twice the power and a quarter century of technological advances. i would fully agree that the 458 does feel very comparable to the original NSX in user friendliness.

yup, that about sums it up...

This is why, the 458 is on my bucketlist.

just wait until you drive one. you'll sell your house and live in a trailer park if that's what it takes... :biggrin:

I just got back from taking the 458 out. Wow. It's no 430. It's easily double the car of a 430 IMO. I absolutely loved it. Shifting was super fast and crisp. It was great to drive with ridiculous power and sound. My verdict is it's the car I would buy had I unlimited funds (until I try the new NSX of course). Sadly funds are limited. I can't convince myself to pay more than $60k for a car that's in summary a luxury toy. I will happily stick with my NSX for the foreseeable future...

Great time doing some laps though (it was auto cross so I may need to find a track event).

Having owned a F355 and NSX, IMO it's almost impossible to compare the two. They are two completely different animals. To me the Ferrari is an exotic, with exotic looks and exotic sounds and exotic prices to maintain. The word that comes to my mind when it comes to the NSX is competent. If you maintain the F car, it can be a reliable, fun car to drive. Although I have no experience with a 360, I didn't hesitate to take the 355 out on a 400 - 600 mile at any time. The 355 has known faults that if corrected can be a very good car. Exhaust manifolds and if your car came with bronze valve guides, both needed to be replaced. Not cheap. The noise the F car makes is almost worth the price of admission alone. The F car also has 2 more cylinders which makes a world of difference. Now if they NSX had two more cylinders, and an electronic clutch with paddle shifters..................

I just got back from taking the 458 out. Wow. It's no 430. It's easily double the car of a 430 IMO. I absolutely loved it. Shifting was super fast and crisp. It was great to drive with ridiculous power and sound. My verdict is it's the car I would buy had I unlimited funds (until I try the new NSX of course). Sadly funds are limited. I can't convince myself to pay more than $60k for a car that's in summary a luxury toy. I will happily stick with my NSX for the foreseeable future...

Great time doing some laps though (it was auto cross so I may need to find a track event).

your response was exactly as i figured it would be.

if you loved it that much in an autocross, just wait until you take it onto a proper race track and stretch her legs...

I can't imagine limiting a 458 to an AX. That would suck b/c it's built for much higher speeds where down force has an effect, where it's still accelerating past 100mph, and where you can feel the prodigious grip. It shines at much higher speeds. Man, I wish their depreciation was a little more accelerated.

FWIW, the Huracán is just as good. And arguably has the better interior design. Definitely a better gauge cluster.

I did a track day with a 458 d'Italia.

First impressions...you thought it, it did it. Unlike the R8 and twin turbo Porsche I drove as well, it had no lag and was pure power and control. Someone asked me how fast I got it up to...my answer was, "ten white knuckles." I never was able to look down at the speedo. It was quite the car, fast, responsive, solid brakes. Loud? No idea, I had on a helmet and was focused on driving it hard. The car was in great shape and was not in the normal rotation for track day. I was invited to try it out for a few laps. Then a few more.

Now that I own an NSX (and have never tracked it), my feelings are that for the money and reliability, hands down I prefer the NSX. I suppose I could throw on a Tubi exhaust and get a note close to the Ferrari. I suppose also I could supercharge or turbo the NSX and get much of the power.

Funny this thread started about comparing to a 360. In the lobby of my work building, they rotate exotic cars. Lotus, Ferrari, McLaren...they have all been there. There was a late model, sky blue 360 in there. I loved the size of the car. I loved the longitudinal layout of the motor. I loved the the overall sleekness. Then when I found out what it cost, my thoughts immediately went to...I could just buy an '05 for that money and have enough left over for ten years of maintenance and fuel.

It's hard to argue with the value of the NSX considering all things and if one is not heavily focused on horsepower.

I would like to treat the 458 like my NSX, daily drive whenever possible in nice weather 3-5 days a week. I think if you're going to pay a lot (obscene) of money for a car, it should be more than just a piece of art that can't even be seen because it spends most of life in a garage. Whether or not I would like it better than the NSX? I have not yet personally discovered that like you, but I think it would be based upon how well it treats me and my wallet like the NSX.

tjust wait until you drive one. you'll sell your house and live in a trailer park if that's what it takes... :biggrin:

Let's hope it does not come to that haha. I've often entertained the thought of living in a Ferrari :redface:

You guys reinforce my thoughts, nice cars BUT have a lot of money ready. For the incidentals. Happy as a clam, F the rest.

look forward to the comparison. also,the nsx is way overdue for a timing belt,and probably all hoses, if that hasn't been done

So I guess the thread got hijacked by the 458. I think the summary is, skip the 360. If you have lots of disposable income, the 458 is another world. I will leave this caveat, I think you can get the 360 with a manual (non-paddle shift). That might make up for the early design paddle shifter which frankly isn't so hot (I thought the 430 felt like an automatic). All my talk, I've still never driven a 360 to compare, I'm only going off the 430 and 458. You don't see many 360s (or I don't).

I have both an '03 NSX and F430 spider, apples and oranges fellas. Absolutely different experiences (the 'right now' steering and compliant handling of the Fcar for one, and the closest raw sound to an F1 race car now that they are turbo-d!) but I will say this, my NSX is a lifer (will never ever sell), where the F car is gettting replaced by an Italia or 488GTB within a year (or two for the 488). Different loves, but it's still all love!

Ps - I would post pics if I could figure out how to do it from my phone!

So I guess the thread got hijacked by the 458.

Sorry for helping take the thread off topic. To be frank, after driving the 458, I totally forgot any inclinations toward owning a 360 or 430. I'm and loyal and ardent 458 fan now.

Sorry for helping take the thread off topic. To be frank, after driving the 458, I totally forgot any inclinations toward owning a 360 or 430. I'm and loyal and ardent 458 fan now.

I've been researching 458 costs all day... I just can't justify it in my financial position. If I play my cards right I might be to get a used 2016 NSX in 5-10 years. I bet it's just as awesome and I would rather stay loyal to prime...

I'm supposed to be tracking the new NSX in November of this year. I'll let y'all know how it compares. I know Acura benchmarked the 458 among others. I hope they also included the Huracán since they share an AWD format. VW and Lamborghini did an incredible job with that car.

I can't imagine limiting a 458 to an AX. That would suck b/c it's built for much higher speeds where down force has an effect, where it's still accelerating past 100mph, and where you can feel the prodigious grip. It shines at much higher speeds. Man, I wish their depreciation was a little more accelerated.

FWIW, the Huracán is just as good. And arguably has the better interior design. Definitely a better gauge cluster.

the Huracan is a different car. faster for sure, but a different car. i still prefer the Ferrari, it's more precise in every way. the interior design? purely personal preference, both cars are gorgeous and very classy inside. as much so as outside.

as for driving a 458 in an autocross, i fully agree. about as much fun as being a valet driver with an Enzo. there's just no way to even begin to tap into what it can do. that car can only be properly experienced on a race track. then your mind will be completely blown beyond the point of no return.

It's hard to argue with the value of the NSX considering all things and if one is not heavily focused on horsepower.

horsepower is usually a major focal point of supercars. :wink:

I would like to treat the 458 like my NSX, daily drive whenever possible in nice weather 3-5 days a week. I think if you're going to pay a lot (obscene) of money for a car, it should be more than just a piece of art that can't even be seen because it spends most of life in a garage. Whether or not I would like it better than the NSX? I have not yet personally discovered that like you, but I think it would be based upon how well it treats me and my wallet like the NSX.

Let's hope it does not come to that haha. I've often entertained the thought of living in a Ferrari :redface:

you can absolutely treat a 458 as a daily driver. as much so as any Porsche or an Audi R8. it's a simple car to live with, and the maintenance is even quite minimal for an exotic.

that's just how it is with that car. it hijacks everything from girlfriends to the best parking spots, to any topic of discussion. that car is nirvana...

p.s. but the 360 is a great car. get the manual though, the paddle shift sucks.

the Huracan is a different car. faster for sure, but a different car. i still prefer the Ferrari, it's more precise in every way. the interior design? purely personal preference, both cars are gorgeous and very classy inside. as much so as outside.

I strongly disagree that the 458 is more "precise" but it may be a subjective value and I don't wish to argue. But I've pushed the Huracán on track and it was sublime. It was almost as intuitive and just as fun to drive as the 458. Suffice to say, the Huracán is an incredible machine and a worthy competitor. Driven hard enough, both cars will give you a euphoria that is…heaven.

IMHO, this is an accurate review of the Huracán:

https://youtu.be/FL6pJEwjGWw

I'm gonna have to agree with FA - I prefer the looks and interior design of the 458 over the Huracan but I do agree that the the Speedo on the Huracan is better handled. The Ferrari V8 sounds cooler than the V10 too IMO. I know, it sounds silly, but the Ferrari sounds much more thrilling than the V10:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ry_Ywh8I9-4

I would choose the 458 over the Gallardo/Huracan, but it is a suitable competitor indeed!

the Huracan is immensely better than the Gallardo, i wouldn't even group those two together, there is no comparison. they're completely different cars, and honestly, comparing the Gallardo to the Huracan is a huge disservice to the new model.

the V10 in the Huracan sounds absolutely wicked, it's a toss up as to which is better. again, purely personal preference. i might have to go with the Lamborghini on this one. when that thing opens up past the midrange, i think the only road car engine that sounds better is the LFA.

but even as Ponyboy disagreed and then agreed with me on the handling of the Ferrari, i would stand by my claim that it is still the measuring stick for all others to be judged. the Lambo is fantastic, and much faster, but it's still not as sublime as a 458. the Ferrari is so light on its feet and telepathic in its steering. i agree with the video, and Randy is a good mate of mine. but a Ferrari will always be the scalpel to Lamborghini's sledge hammer...

I didn't agree with fatsausie.

If I had to choose out of the two, it'd be difficult. Unless, it was the 458 Speciale. Never thought I'd like the Huracán, a lambo, as much as I did. And glad I wasn't so stuck in a bias that I couldn't see how great it was. My 911 buddies won't give it the time of day; "the GT3 is the greatest car on earth."

Back