• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

2005 Corvettes...how are they in comparison?

I have a 92 red Acura nsx and wanted a little more speed. I love the frigin car a lot but I'm just wanting more power. My NSX is stock 0-60 in 5.6 seconds and the corvette t-top is stock 0-60 in 4.2. I just don't know how the corvette would handle in comparison to my 92 NSX though. I heard the corvettes have lots of cool interior gadgets, nice on power and low end torch. I also heard the handling is supposed to be pretty awesome as well but I've never actually driven one. Has anyone here?

This is what my predicament is....
Stick with my awesome 92 NSX or sell it and get a 2005 corvette c6 or maybe even a 1997 Acura NSX, but that would probably run me $10,000 more then the corvette would and I'm not sure I'm willing to do that. The 97 NSX's are pretty hot and that's the first year with the added HP so it is tempting. What do you guys think would be the best for my money? I would like to spent no more then $30,000, maybe $35,000 if it's a good deal.

Oh, and by the way, the corvettes you can find for as low as $30,000 and that's why it's so tempting in comparison to the NSX's.

I don't think you can get a regular C6 to run 4.2 to 60. ("the Corvette ripped off a 4.8-second 0-to-60 time and a best quarter-mile of 12.8 seconds at 107 mph")

The NA2 NSXs only feel slightly faster, so if you are looking for a faster car moving to the 97 will not really satisfy the need.

If I were you... I think I would turbo the NSX!

haha, you remember that post...funny. My dad likes to keep things stock. he's the car guy in my Fam and doesnt beleave in upgrades. I want to upgrade my acura but he's gotten me beleaving that something will break doing so.

haha, you remember that post...funny. My dad likes to keep things stock. he's the car guy in my Fam and doesnt beleave in upgrades. I want to upgrade my acura but he's gotten me beleaving that something will break doing so.

The Vette will break even if you leave it stock...:cool:

Oh, and forgot to add as well....Does anybody know how the lotus elise's drive?

Not like a Vette or NSX.

You will not like the straight-line power. The handling feel is go-kart responsive and very predictable. Feels as comfortable as a go-kart and the suspension is very very firm. Very raw and awesome, if that's what you're into.

It's also less reliable than either the NSX or Vette and there's not much you can do for additional power w/o FI.

NSX and Corvette's are two totally different cars and different classes. V-6 with 270 and a V-8 with 400+ hp. Corvette has a lot of low end torque and will give you a whiplash if your not careful with that clutch. Also, you don't have to rev the RPM so high to get speed. =It has improved on handling for an American made car. Interior still very plain. Body style is very sleek.

If you want power that's the car to get. If you want supreme handling and a very unique exotic look stay with the NSX. Corvette's are a dime a dozen. There not a expensive to fix or repair.

Good Luck.

i'd say, go test drive a few vettes, since you havent yet. then read up about the various problems vettes have, get familiar with it. that will probably help more than anything to make your decisions. NSX guys are going to say go with NSX, vette guys will say go with a vette. in the end its up to you to do your research and testing and make a decision based on what you feel you want most out of a car.

so how much would you be selling your nsx for? =)

wait a year and the 2005-2006 Vettes will be as worth as much as your NSX so you won't lose money. But in 5 years, the NSX will prob be worth the same or more as it was now. The vette will prob be worth half that. :tongue:

I own both. The Vette will definitely lose value over a short period of time. I've had many Vettes and only had 1 problem with one of them over a period of 20 years. Reliability issues don't factor in, in my opinion because I've had very good luck with the Chevy's I've had. The Vette (C-6)will feel much stronger. There are a #$%load of Vettes out there. The NSX is much more exclusive.

Just get a Comptech Supercharger. They will be available again soon. It's reliable, smog legal. You get to keep the NSX which is a reliable, low depreciation, exclusive and IMO better looking vehicle. Your total outlay including install will be around 10K. The car is night and day with and without the supercharger.

Buy a vette. Then in three months when you hate it for not giving you the "feeling" that you had in the nsx sell it and buy a 97 nsx.

This always comes up and I enjoy watching people do it.

STEP ONE-I think I want a faster car
STEP TWO- Buy a vette
STEP THREE- Man I see my same car everywhere
STEP FOUR- this thing is rattly and doesnt "feel" like my nsx did
STEP FIVE- I think I want another nsx , yeah I do I'm going to sell my vette
STEP SIX- Post on prime about buying another nsx and find one.

I love it!

Brian

One thing I must say is that most people out there that are not NSX owners or don't know anything about the car are "shocked" on the pricing for the used NSX 91-97+. They can't believe how expensive that are. They are always comparing with Corvettes, and the other German sports cars during the same generation. They also comment about the lack of horsepower of a Stock NSX and other stock class sports car.

I would sacrifice H.P. for exotic and style. Keep the NSX!

I agree with these guys. How often are you realy gonna get to use all that power anyway. I have an SC'd NSX and rarely get to open it up because of traffic. On the other hand everytime I drive it I get stares from quite a few people. Corvettes, even zo6's are all over the place. Besides Vettes have a bad stigma, ask any woman. Its a midlife crisis car.

I don't think you can get a regular C6 to run 4.2 to 60. ("the Corvette ripped off a 4.8-second 0-to-60 time and a best quarter-mile of 12.8 seconds at 107 mph")

The NA2 NSXs only feel slightly faster, so if you are looking for a faster car moving to the 97 will not really satisfy the need.

If I were you... I think I would turbo the NSX!

You will need a comptech super charger to be in the same league as a stock C6 vette. the 1/4 mile trap speed that you showed was for a automatic convertable. A 6 speed coupe will trap 112-114mph average. However I would never take a standard Vette over my NSX.

To the original poster, your uncle is right to a certain degree. When you start putting things into a car that does not belong in it at all, than it would start causing problems later down the line. However if its intake/Header/Exhaust combo, it probrably will help your car run better overall. Those mods will help free up some parasitic pumping losses, and will increase your fuel economy if you just putt the car around town. A low boost comptech supercharger shouldn't put that much stress on the engine either.

My choice? Mod the NSX and save yourself the trouble. Nothing beats feeling the gains on your car that you get from putting on that shiny new mod.

By the way...Any thoughts on the lotus Elise? That's the only other car I think that can maybe compete with an NSX. I mean the Elise is a totally different car inside and out but the idea is the same as the NSX. The lotus is a car that was built for power, handling and speed as is the nsx and as of now, it's definitely and exclusive car. I don't see many of them around yet but I do believe it may be less of a practical car though. What do you think?

Just get a Comptech Supercharger. They will be available again soon. It's reliable, smog legal. You get to keep the NSX which is a reliable, low depreciation, exclusive and IMO better looking vehicle. Your total outlay including install will be around 10K. The car is night and day with and without the supercharger.

I agree 150% I have a supercharged NSX and sure down a straight line the vette had just a bit more pull over my SC NSX This was last weekend at Big Willow race track. If I had the High output pulley thats offered for the NSX SC I am sure there would be one vette guy with his head down.
Go to a NSX meet drive a SC car and drive the vette. I think your feelings will lead you in the right direction.

By the way...Any thoughts on the lotus Elise? That's the only other car I think that can maybe compete with an NSX. I mean the Elise is a totally different car inside and out but the idea is the same as the NSX. The lotus is a car that was built for power, handling and speed as is the nsx and as of now, it's definitely and exclusive car. I don't see many of them around yet but I do believe it may be less of a practical car though. What do you think?

But dont try and make it a DD. Its a great weekend and AX car and that is what it was produced to do. Yes I would love one but would never replace my all around NSX with a GREAT toy, addition maybe.
I think its raw feel will get old if you wont to take your other out for dinner IMHO.

By the way...Any thoughts on the lotus Elise?
Try this. Find one for sale and get in and out and in and out of the car a few times. You might find you don't really want one after that.

I love the idea behind the Elise, but after trying the above I know I can't really have one. I don't have room for a toy, I need something I can drive and isn't in the way.

Back