• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

2006 NSX Prime Bikes for Kids charity collection

Announcing the Fourth Annual NSX Prime Bikes For Kids Charitable Collection

After the success of our <b><a href="http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60834">previous NSX Prime Bikes for Kids efforts</b></a>, and after a lot of inquiries from folks, I am doing it again. The response has always been amazing for such a small online community. Through this member-suggested and member-funded charitable collection, we have purchased literally hundreds of bicycles for underpriviliged children across the country over the last few years.

I getting started a little later this year (moving the site to a new server took a lot more time than I expected), but hopefully everyone is in a charitable and giving mood by this point. :smile:

Once again I will be working with the <b><a href="http://www.toysfortots.org/">US Marine Toys For Tots</a></b> program because of their efficiency. They work with their supplies to directly purchase (at considerable discount) and distribute bicycles on a national scale. Their organization is extremely efficient with extremely low overhead because the labor and transportation is donated by the US Marine Core Reserve. After doing it a couple different ways this is the best method I have found to get the most bikes to the most kids for every dollar donated.

Here is some information about Toys For Tots:
U.S. MARINE CORPS RESERVE TOYS FOR TOTS PROGRAM

MISSION: The mission of the U.S. Marine Corps Reserve Toys for Tots Program is to collect new, unwrapped toys during October, November and December each year and distribute those toys as Christmas gifts to needy children in the community in which the campaign is conducted.

GOAL: The primary goal of Toys for Tots is to deliver, through a shiny new toy at Christmas, a message of hope to needy youngsters that will motivate them to grow into responsible, productive, patriotic citizens and community leaders.

OBJECTIVES: The objectives of Toys for Tots are to help needy children throughout the United States experience the joy of Christmas; to play an active role in the development of one of our nation's most valuable natural resources - our children; to unite all members of local communities in a common cause for three months each year during the annual toy collection and distribution campaign; and to contribute to better communities in the future.

To contribute to the group fund, PayPal me and please be sure to enter "Bikes For Kids" on the PayPal form so I can keep it seperate from other traffic in my PayPal account. I'll also take checks - PM me for my mailing address. If you are interested in selling or auctioning something and contributing the proceeds to the fund, feel free to list it on eBay (or whatever) and post a link here.

The deadline for donations is December 15, 2006. I will keep a running tally (updated every day or two) of contributions below. If you prefer to remain anonymous (real name, user name, or both), please note that with your contribution.

THANK YOU!

List Of Contributions:
<table border="1" cellspacing="0" align="top" cellpadding="3"><tr><td>#</td><td>Date</td><td>NSX Prime Name</td> <td>Real Name</td><td>Amount</td><td>via</td><td>Note</td><tr><td>1</td><td>Dec 4</td> <td>coolnsx</td><td>Gil Leach</td><td>$100</td><td>PayPal</td><td></td><tr><td>2</td><td>Dec 4</td> <td>RSO 34</td><td>Robert Ondrovic</td><td>$100</td><td>PayPal</td><td></td><tr><td>3</td><td>Dec 4</td> <td>-anonymous-</td><td>-anonymous-</td><td>$100</td><td>PayPal</td><td>PayPal transaction ID ending in -904Y</td><tr><td>4</td><td>Dec 4</td> <td>ANYTIME</td><td>John Richards</td><td>$100</td><td>PayPal</td><td></td>
<tr><td>5</td><td>Dec 4</td> <td>drew</td><td>-anonymous-</td><td>$100</td><td>PayPal</td><td></td>
<tr><td>6</td><td>Dec 4</td> <td>-anonymous-</td><td>-anonymous-</td><td>$150</td><td>PayPal</td><td>PayPal -884L</td><tr><td>7</td><td>Dec 5</td> <td>jalnjr</td><td>Jonathan Liegner</td><td>$100</td><td>PayPal</td><td>$$ won at nsxpo2006 saturday nite car race</td><tr><td>8</td><td>Dec 5</td> <td>jalnjr</td><td>Jonathan Liegner</td><td>$150</td><td>PayPal</td><td>Fom the Liegner family, in memory of <a href="http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78310"><b>Len Musgrey</a></b></td><tr><td>9</td><td>Dec 6</td> <td>OneRedNSX</td><td>Robert Cash</td><td>$25</td><td>PayPal</td><td></td><tr><td>10</td><td>Dec 6</td> <td>-anonymous-</td><td>-anonymous-</td><td>$50</td><td>PayPal</td><td>Paypal -740T - "On behalf of <a href="http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78310"><b>Len3.8's</a></b> daughters Brianna and Alyssa Musgray"</td><tr><td>11</td><td>Dec 8</td> <td>-anonymous-</td><td>-anonymous-</td><td>$100</td><td>PayPal</td><td>Paypal -893D</td><tr><td>12</td><td>Dec 8</td> <td>omeganorm</td><td>Norman Lai</td><td>$100</td><td>PayPal</td><td></td><tr><td>13</td><td>Dec 8</td> <td>swbatte</td><td>Sean Batte</td><td>$40</td><td>PayPal</td><td></td><tr><td>14</td><td>Dec 9</td> <td>KGP</td><td>Gene Krause</td><td>$100</td><td>PayPal</td><td></td><tr><td>15</td><td>Dec 14</td> <td>Ben</td><td>-anonymoys-</td><td>$200</td><td>PayPal</td><td></td><tr><td>16</td><td>Dec 14</td> <td>AngelicXMermaid</td><td>Dawn Angelia</td><td>$75</td><td>PayPal</td><td></td><tr><td>17</td><td>Dec 16</td> <td>sjs</td><td>Stephen Scheifler</td><td>$100</td><td>PayPal</td><td></td><tr><td>18</td><td>Dec 16</td> <td>Larry Bastanza</td><td>Larry Bastanza</td><td>$100</td><td>Check</td><td></td></tr></table>

TOTAL COLLECTED: $1,790

UPDATE: Thanks to everyone who made this collection a success. I rounded it up to $1,800 when I made the group donation. That is a lot of bikes that will hopefully make a difference in some kids' lives.

Great to see this again. I made my donation.

Glad to see we are doing this again this year. I never got around to making a donation last year after being pre-occupied with my father's illness and then passing at Christmas so this year I made sure I signed up as soon as I saw this thread. In honor of that first bike I got in 1972, this one's for you Dad..........

Glad you are making this happen again, donation en route shortly.

I do ask that the money goes for only for bikes...

Last go around there was an issue of the Marines accepting any more bikes and had the money go into the "general fund". Kids have a habit of making poor choices and tend to choose items that foster needless consumerism. Such choices cause them to spiral into spending more than they can ill afford (batteries, CD/DVD/MP3's, trendy clothing/shoes, etc...) to support their choices.

Bikes are cool.

Drew

drew said:
Glad you are making this happen again, donation en route shortly.

I do ask that the money goes for only for bikes...

Last go around there was an issue of the Marines accepting any more bikes and had the money go into the "general fund".

Thanks for your support. The situation where we had more funds than the local TFT program could use for bikes was two years ago. That is one of the things that drove me to work with TFT at the national instead of local level last year.

you've got paypal!!
2 donations....
1] $100 won @ the nsxpo2006 saturday dinner car race. basch tuned my
nsx prior to the race... no boomboom jokes:wink:
2] $150 given by my family, in memory of len musgray.

thank you lud for this wonderful nsxprime charity.
happy holidays to you all !!
xmasthumbup.gif

Last edited:
Just a little bump on a Friday to try to catch the attention of a few more people like myself not wanting to work too hard today.

Only one week left for this great cause. I noticed that a couple of members made a donation in Len 3.8's memory and wanted to point out that Len would contribute in his daughter's names (Brianna and Alyssa) in prior years.

Lately on Prime there has been an abundance of posts that were vitriolic, hateful, immature and otherwise not in keeping with what should be the "holiday spirit". How about putting aside such emotions for a moment and giving a little something to help put a smile on a kid's face during the holidays when that child otherwise might not have a reason to smile.

Any little bit helps so even a $5 donation will go a long way.

Back