• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

2007- gsxr 600 vs 600rr vs R6

After nearly 2 years away from my sportbike roots, I decided it's time to make a return. (I've had a REALLY BAD last few months) I've always been a Honda MC person at heart even to now, but I'm feeling adventurous and just plain don't give a damn at this point in time. Here's my serious consideration list:

2000-2002 748 Preferably a 748s. timeless, wet dream. I LOVE the red, but the black is just too sweet also.
normal_ducati_748s.jpg

2003+ 749 kinda ugly, but still an awesome and mechanically improved ride over the 748
2006-Ducati-Superbike-749Sa-small.jpg

2002+ RC-51 Just plain TQ cool.
rc51pro.jpg

Then here are some contenders. As much as I do NOT want to return to I4's the price is still unbeatable and the technology dumped in these things are AMAZING compared to my last bike my 2002 F4i that I bought new back then. These new machines are all gorgeous and considerable faster and lighter than my F4i. Personally, I don't like yamaha's but their options for the price makes them tough to beat. Anyhow, I've been out of the loop so I don't know much about the newer machines.

11720_Honda_CBR600RR_tutta_nuova_per_il_2007.jpg

2007 600rr - Don't know much about the current one, just info from the first 600rr like dual injectors and motogp inspiration, smoooth powerband, had beef in the middle too. Electronic steering dampener. For me dampener is a must standard or aftermarket, I had a lock to lock tank slapper at 140 mph for well over 1/4 mile. No slipper as far as I know. Current OTD price $9300. Pricing SUCKS.

GSXR600K7_RedWhite_b50008.jpg

2007 gsxr 600- well they've always led in HP. "Prob" best on the track and over all. Has a slipper. Gorgeous machine. Current OTD price $8500

07r6_red_3_c956276d.jpg

2007 R6 - Slipper clutch, Throttle by wire. Just plain not a yamaha fan, and the looks aren't bad. I also acquired a new STRONG dislike for a certain person who currently rides one, so I think that doesn't help either. The last R6 had horrible balance around town but the power band was insane, it'd hit the powerband and it was like hitting NO2. Scarily NOT smooth powerband at all, No TQ, no mid range, just raw top end horsepower again this was the last R6. But the new high tech goodies are just too bad ass! Current OTD price $8600.

OTD prices are courtesy of the place where I bought my last bike online, www.lacyclesports.com

Please provide input on any of the models. I have been out of the loop for a while. BTW, I'm not some main st cruising punk, I buy it I ride it, and I ride the hell out of it through any mountain road I can find. So wheelie factor and stunt factor does not apply. And I don't care about my passenger's comfort, it's all about me when it comes to my bikes.

Last edited:
1st of all, welome back to riding! here are some pics of my bikes:http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showpost.php?p=870395&postcount=6

I think this all depend on what you are going to use it for and how much experience you have with the bikes, one thing for sure is that the bikes have improved dramatically in the past 5 years.

Out of all the 600cc, based on what I have heard from my friends who have ridden the bikes, I think the 07 CBR600RR is the top of the bunch, but then again, so is its price. check out Roadracing World magazine for the middle weights' review...

also you might want to consider the Triumph Daytona 675.

all these bikes will be great for the track and I think the CBR would be the best for the street too since I heard it has the most lower/mid range power.

I had a 916 and have ridden the 999, 999s, 999R, and 1098S on several occasions, I love the Tamburini designed 916 almost as much as my MV, but I think in this case the 749 would be the superior bike... I would suggest that you look into the 916, 996, 998 too.

I don't know much about the RC51, except that they are great bikes and that they hold their value well.

Ideally if you can test ride these bikes, you will have a better idea which one is best for you, but no dealers for Japanese bikes will allow you to test ride their bikes, but if you go to Pro Italia they might let you try one of their Ducs... LA cyclesports and LA Yamaha are great places to buy bikes(same owner), I am pretty sure they consistently have the best prices around LA area, I got my R6 from them in 03.

Last edited:
Yeah, LAcyclesports is where I purchased my last bike. I've got 10 years of licensed rider in. I'm 26 years old.

I did consider the 675 because I wanted to try out that bad triple. But asthetically, I just can't get over it really. The main thing is reliability. I'm not too familiar with that when it comes to british bikes.

I want the duc so I wouldn't revert back to my old ways of being a mad man on one wheel or two. I4s make it so easy to be stupid all over again.

Unless I find a screaming deal on a 748-749 or a used 2004-2005ish I4 regardless of cc, I may go the route of the 07 R6. The options are way up there, and the price being pretty dang sweet. Especially when the last bike I bought new, the 2002 F4i was $8000k OTD and the new gsxr 600 & R6 is $8500 otd.

Oh wicked! You got yourself a derbi! lol

My riding is like my driving, canyon carving. I ride for myself and I drive for myself. Passengers need not apply.

Yeah, LAcyclesports is where I purchased my last bike. I've got 10 years of licensed rider in. I'm 26 years old.

I did consider the 675 because I wanted to try out that bad triple. But asthetically, I just can't get over it really. The main thing is reliability. I'm not too familiar with that when it comes to british bikes.

I want the duc so I wouldn't revert back to my old ways of being a mad man on one wheel or two. I4s make it so easy to be stupid all over again.

Unless I find a screaming deal on a 748-749 or a used 2004-2005ish I4 regardless of cc, I may go the route of the 07 R6. The options are way up there, and the price being pretty dang sweet. Especially when the last bike I bought new, the 2002 F4i was $8000k OTD and the new gsxr 600 & R6 is $8500 otd.

My riding is like my driving, canyon carving. I ride for myself and I drive for myself. Passengers need not apply.

I'd take the 748 if you haven't owned one like it before and you are just using it as a toy. 600 RR's GSXR's and just plain R's will be around year after year. The new cbr is probably the best bike but I'd pick up an R6 instead because it has a little more edge to it.

I ride a 954RR right now but almost bought a yellow duc not long ago.

Yeah, the Derbi is a great bike, I just love a well tuned 2 stroke screamer, it actually has a 72cc big bore race kit, although it only has 24 rwhp(extremely high CC/hp ratio), it also only weights 160 lbs or so, capable of 90+ mph with proper gearing, and on really tight and twisty canyon and track this little bike can easily put 600CC+ big bikes to shame. I have turned it into a track bike and use it on kart tracks now... not only it's cheap and simple to work on, with racing slicks it is just incredible to ride... brutal though, I get a lot more tired and beat up riding it on the tracks than my big bikes.

wide open! Ring ding ding ding ding ding!

I wanted an Aprilia RS125 or RS250 for the longest time when I was living in colorado. We had racetracks EVERYWHERE and dirt cheap at the time, $45/half day, $75 full day. I think I counted 5-6 tracks within 2-3 hours, 4 within an hour or so of where I lived, colorado springs.

wide open! Ring ding ding ding ding ding!

I wanted an Aprilia RS125 or RS250 for the longest time when I was living in colorado. We had racetracks EVERYWHERE and dirt cheap at the time, $45/half day, $75 full day. I think I counted 5-6 tracks within 2-3 hours, 4 within an hour or so of where I lived, colorado springs.
Sounds like you are in LA area, the Grange motor circuit is about 100 miles away from down town LA, I believe the trackdays cost is still $35 for the WHOLE DAY, and if you go during the week like I have always done, chances are that you can have the track all to yourself most of the time...

FYI I don't have any personal experiences with the Aprilias, but one of my good friend who used to work in the service department for LA YAMAHA/Aprilia/Moto Guzzi said that my Derbi's built quality is way better than Aprilias, as good as the Japanese bikes in fact.

Not sure if you have seen the latest version of the Derbi GPR125 ad Aprilia RS125, they are pretty cool!

Attachments

• Derbi GPR 125 Racing.jpg
    Derbi GPR 125 Racing.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 82
  • 22661_0_1_2_rs 125_Image credits - Aprilia.jpg
    22661_0_1_2_rs 125_Image credits - Aprilia.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 81
Actually, I live in the central Valley currently. Merced, CA to be exact. LA cyclesports is an awesome shop to deal with. I actually ordered mine on line, they called up to arrange for them to deliever my bike to my house here in merced, and sealed the deal when the bike rolled off the trailer in my driveway.

That Aprilia looks VICIOUS. And expensive! lol

I might hold off on my bike for a month or two. Some registration issues came up with the nsx, that's gonna cost me several hundred....fun.

It's in the air at the moment, but it's a fight between 2007 R6, 748 and 749.

Back