• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

2007 Mustang GT Vs. 1991 NSX

Did a little digging. Difference between the Mustang GT and GT500:

http://ask.cars.com/2007/10/mustang-cobra-g.html

How does an extra 200 horsepower sound compared to the 300-hp Mustang GT? Ford’s Shelby GT500 is the successor to previous Cobra models and fills the spot of an over-the-top, more powerful Mustang, just as did the model that the previous Cobra name represented.

The additional power on the GT500 comes compliments of a larger engine, and, of course, a supercharger huffing plenty of boost into the 5.4-liter V-8. The 500 hp gets channeled through only one transmission option, a six-speed manual; the Mustang GT uses a five-speed manual or an automatic transmission.

You’ll be able to spot a GT500 coming down the road from its plentiful GT500 and Cobra snake markings. Compared to the Mustang GT, the GT500 has hood scoops and a big, aggressively styled front bumper, as well as unique rims, spoiler and rear bumper. Other differences include a lower stance with its performance-tuned suspension that includes reworked shocks, springs and sway bars. Stopping power comes from high-performance Brembo brakes.

If one model of the GT500 isn’t enough for you, there’s two more coming soon that offer even scarier power: The 540-hp GT500KR and a 600-plus-hp GT500 Super Snake.

As expected, you pay for that extra power and status to drive a Shelby; the 2008 Shelby GT500 hits the pocketbook at a starting price of $41,930, compared to the Mustang GT’s $25,840 starting price.

The GT500 has tons of power all over the band. It pulls like crazy (at least to me). Its the most powerful car I have driven. The suspension although upgraded...sucks. Its feels like you are driving a really fast truck. The brakes are good brembos...but the car nose dives like crazy when you brake since it has such a anchor of a motor up front.

LoL, that's one way to put it! But full size trucks have a much firmer ride but that makes the truck ride nicer in comparison! How about the lightning? Hey you were a ford inside guy. What ever happened to that new Lightning that would use the air conditioning to cool down the intake air for 30 seconds and provide 75 hp?

Did a little digging. Difference between the Mustang GT and GT500:

http://ask.cars.com/2007/10/mustang-cobra-g.html

How does an extra 200 horsepower sound compared to the 300-hp Mustang GT? Ford’s Shelby GT500 is the successor to previous Cobra models and fills the spot of an over-the-top, more powerful Mustang, just as did the model that the previous Cobra name represented.

The additional power on the GT500 comes compliments of a larger engine, and, of course, a supercharger huffing plenty of boost into the 5.4-liter V-8. The 500 hp gets channeled through only one transmission option, a six-speed manual; the Mustang GT uses a five-speed manual or an automatic transmission.

You’ll be able to spot a GT500 coming down the road from its plentiful GT500 and Cobra snake markings. Compared to the Mustang GT, the GT500 has hood scoops and a big, aggressively styled front bumper, as well as unique rims, spoiler and rear bumper. Other differences include a lower stance with its performance-tuned suspension that includes reworked shocks, springs and sway bars. Stopping power comes from high-performance Brembo brakes.

If one model of the GT500 isn’t enough for you, there’s two more coming soon that offer even scarier power: The 540-hp GT500KR and a 600-plus-hp GT500 Super Snake.

As expected, you pay for that extra power and status to drive a Shelby; the 2008 Shelby GT500 hits the pocketbook at a starting price of $41,930, compared to the Mustang GT’s $25,840 starting price.

The flaws of the GT500, it still uses a solid rear axle since its gears more torwards drag racing over road racing. It also weights 4000 lbs, the extra weight comes from the iron block 5.4 liter vs the aluminum block 5.4 liter found in the ford GT. The chassis also has reinforced steel in the nose to handle the extra torque which is why it weights almost 500 lbs heavier than a standard GT. It also only has a viscous LSD which gets overloaded and over heated waaaay too quickly.

overall, a stock C6 can beat it in everyway, even in a straight line. Not impressed. What ever happend to putting lighter stronger parts in a higher model? All they did was add more steel where it needs it the least ( in the nose )

LoL, that's one way to put it! But full size trucks have a much firmer ride but that makes the truck ride nicer in comparison! How about the lightning? Hey you were a ford inside guy. What ever happened to that new Lightning that would use the air conditioning to cool down the intake air for 30 seconds and provide 75 hp?
Cool things are coming from Ford as far as performance trucks go. But not in the traditional way they have done them.:wink:

I'm glad to see my drag race thread was not the only one that was comptely hijacked... :biggrin:

Somebody wake me up when this thread is over..

oh yeah, Paul before you go do this. Take out your spare tire, rear trunk engine cover and clean out your Throttlebody, spark plugs and make sure that your air-filter is clean or new. I did a tune up recently and the car was much more responsive than before.

oh yeah, Paul before you go do this. Take out your spare tire, rear trunk engine cover and clean out your Throttlebody, spark plugs and make sure that your air-filter is clean or new. I did a tune up recently and the car was much more responsive than before.

Thanks, bro. I still don't think we've met yet. I have new plugs on order. Those chumps from sparkplugs.com sold me plugs that they didn't have in stock. They are not shipping until 8/20. I might need to cancel that and get a new source for oem NGKs.

I just changed my oil, trans fluid, and brake fluid (speedbleeders, too).

I need to learn how to clean out the TB. I'll have to search...

Spark Plugs, Go to NAPA or Pep Boys, thats where I got mine.

Cleaning the throttle body is easy. unscrew the ring the holds it onto the intake and spray Throttle Body cleaner, NOT Carb cleaner, and move the throttle plate open making sure its edges are clean. Pretty much get as much carbon out of there as much as possible. Make sure you protect anything under that by wrapping stuff with Aluminum foil and having a drip pan under to save your driveway. After that, put everything back. You might have some issues starting at first and you will def see smoke. You can also do the Seafoam deal. I have not tried this, sounds interesting w/ all the smoke coming out:biggrin:

Thanks, bro. I still don't think we've met yet. I have new plugs on order. Those chumps from sparkplugs.com sold me plugs that they didn't have in stock. They are not shipping until 8/20. I might need to cancel that and get a new source for oem NGKs.

I just changed my oil, trans fluid, and brake fluid (speedbleeders, too).

I need to learn how to clean out the TB. I'll have to search...

Last edited:
I think they both respectfully agreed not to race... "IMO"

You know what I think is a little funny.
Lots of folks saying that the NSX should win yet everyone is telling him so many things to do just to race a Mustang.....c'mon now, it's not like he is lining up against a F or P car. If he has to do all this stuff to help ensure he win's isn't that pretty sad???

You know what I think is a little funny.
Lots of folks saying that the NSX should win yet everyone is telling him so many things to do just to race a Mustang.....c'mon now, it's not like he is lining up against a F or P car. If he has to do all this stuff to help ensure he win's isn't that pretty sad???

He doesn't NEED to do anything if his car is running correctly.. I am not so sure why this is such a big deal? Its a simple 1/4 mile or 1/8 mile drag???:confused:

This weekend or next. Taking it to the strip to do it right. I'll do my best to get it videotaped. Avoid staging the car in the water? Yay or nay?

it depends on what tires and rims you are running. If you have drag slicks then yes stage. But street tires you may want to stay away from the water. Of course u dont want to run on super cold tires either. :tongue:

it depends on what tires and rims you are running. If you have drag slicks then yes stage. But street tires you may want to stay away from the water. Of course u dont want to run on super cold tires either. :tongue:

Stock 15/16 with very new rubber.

Back