• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

2007 Mustang GT Vs. 1991 NSX

This weekend or next. Taking it to the strip to do it right. I'll do my best to get it videotaped. Avoid staging the car in the water? Yay or nay?

if your going to spin the tires just go around back into the water,

good luck

Update: the Rustang and I are going to the drag strip on Tuesday or Wed (26th or 27th).

This will be filmed and I'll post my slips.
We will be wearing helmets.

Some of you locals showed an interest in watching.

Info:

Great Lakes Dragaway in Union Grove WI.
http://www.greatlakesdragaway.com/

We'll be there right at 5:00pm till? It closes at 10pm. I hope to get a few runs in.

I'll edit this post when I determine if it will be Tues or Wed..

Last edited:
Update- Wednesday night it's going down. I'll be sure to get the video results posted asap.

Last edited:
we have both cars in our shop right now

GT500 will kill you if your not FI and even if your are FI the shelby is a monster.
S197 (2005-2008) is a even race if your not FI.

S197's you put a intake, chip it, X-Pipe, and Exhaust you might have problems beating it with your NSX.

Good luck and be safe.

we have both cars in our shop right now

GT500 will kill you if your not FI and even if your are FI the shelby is a monster.
S197 (2005-2008) is a even race if your not FI.

S197's you put a intake, chip it, X-Pipe, and Exhaust you might have problems beating it with your NSX.

Good luck and be safe.

His opponent isn't a GT500. Just a run-of-the-mill GT.

Those Saleens are pretty quick. Most reviews have the Saleen losing the 0-60 and 1//4 but beating the GT500 on any kind of track.

I would say the 1/4 mile would be about even for the NSX vs. Saleen but would lose the 1/4 against the GT500. FI NSX would do fine against a GT500 but the GT500 KR is a beast. NSX would need as close to 400 whp or more to deal with one of those.

Last edited:
I drove a GT500KR and the instant torque and power is very addicting -able to easily light up its r-compound tires.

Despite what everyone says about Mustangs, they can easily be very fast and competitive cars on a road course. The GT500KR in stock trim is very impressive, handles great and fun to drive.

just dont burn your clutch:biggrin:

Despite what everyone says about Mustangs, they can easily be very fast and competitive cars on a road course.

A Mustang is one of the best, if not the best all-around car ever made. If you have never owned one, you don't know what you are missing. All of the criticisms against the Mustang (dinosaur, live axle, etc) I consider to be strengths. Today's Mustang is very close to it's original roots. A true american classic - it is what it was, only better. One of my co-workers just bought a 2008 GT convertible - beautiful car - as exciting today as it ever was - maybe more so. Still a hot seller.

Ran into a few last week at RA pretty fast with a good driver.

That last maroon Mustang with the wing in part 3 was ripping pretty good.

I think a stock Mustang vs a stock NSX will be a good match - looking forward to the outcome. I would be happy for either one to win. Whichever car wins, I think good fun will be had be all.

Last edited:
nsx 3.0,(sorry corrected)
I take it that's your youtube video that was just posted. Nice driving. I was so happy when you pulled past that mustang at the end.

Paul took me for a ride friday, thanks again Paul, and the car looked and sounded pretty good. He thought something was wrong with his ARk exhaust but I think many of you have said they break in after time and get louder. I thought it sounded very nice. I'm going to try to make it up but not sure if I can make it out of the city before traffic gets really bad, which would be totally pointless because I'd probably miss most of it then.

Good luck, hope I don't have to wait for the vid. Oh, and obviously take out the spare/bracket, jack, and engine cover. You can leave the stuff in my garage if you want to stop by on your way up, or at least the engine cover if you want to wait for the track to lose the tire.

Last edited:
Great videos! Fun to watch my two favorite cars ripping around Road Atlanta at a Mustang-related event.

Current NSX owner and recent former Mustang GT convertible owner. My daughter drives the Mustang now.

Last edited:
awesome driving what kind of mods do you have that allows to keep up with a SVT Cobra R on the straights? also the lack of tire squeal is amazing, are you running R compound?

SoS stage 3..Cams, T-Body,Springs,Retainers,LMA's RC 250cc Injectors heads ported polished along with new short gears and 4.23 final drive. Running Nitto NT01's nice tire.

Last edited:
Great videos! Fun to watch my two favorite cars ripping around Road Atlanta at a Mustang-related event.

Current NSX owner and recent former Mustang GT convertible owner. My daughter drives the Mustang now.

Vids are from Road America.

I'd be more concerned about him losing control and taking the both of you out during the run.

A STRAIGHT LINE race is not one you want to entertain with a car that has twice the displacement as you.

Good point, but he's only a 4.6 liter, not a 6 liter:wink:.

Man, he has been talking trash for three weeks straight.

Mr. Stang' really doesn't know anything about drag racing. He doesn't know about tire pressure reduction, weight savings, etc. I'm guessing he'll have at least a half tank of gas in there, full psi on rears, and his spare tire still in.

Tonight I am removing my engine cover, spare tire/with bracket, draining winshield washer fluid (thank you 'weight reduction thread'), floor mats, and tool kit. I'm thinking I can get her down to at least about 2900lbs (replacing stock exhaust helps, too). He's about 15lbs bigger in stature than I am and his car weighs close to 700lbs more. He's had his car for only a few months. I've had mine for 2 years. I have solid driving skills and believe I can launch fine. I might sound worried here, but I am really anxious more than anything.

I've read a few different opinions on tire pressure. I'm 15/16 oem...at 33F and 40R. I read to take the rears down to 25psi. Is this decent? I might try 30 psi in the rears and start with that.

Last edited:
Thank you for this suggestion. This is actually may be part of the bet (and we'll get it on film). The other part is that the loser pays the winners' admission fee ($35) to the strip. More pride involved than cash.

I'm so fired up..:biggrin::mad::biggrin:

The guy who is filming this created a short blog about it. He promises to update it asap with the video he takes. Looks like he may be willing to sponsor (i.e. 'pay for') future challenges..
http://drivn.blogspot.com/2008/08/1991-acura-nsx-vs-2007-ford-mustang-gt.html

But if you're gonna smoke em, smoke em good!

Loser has to put a note on their rear window that says "I got smoked by a Ford" or "I got smoked by a Honda", depending on who wins.

Last edited:
yeah, just go and beat the pant of him already :biggrin:

also to NSX3.0 wow I didn't think the stage 3 package would be that effective. have you went down the 1320 yet? I would like to know what you are trapping at.

On Sunday a new mustang passed me and then cut in front of me. Then he booted it and later slowed down. The back said Shelby but he wasn't that fast and as a test I booted my car and I was as fast from 60 kph to 90 kph.
Then with this thread I read up on the Shelby and can report I am smart enough not to race.

yeah, just go and beat the pant of him already :biggrin:

also to NSX3.0 wow I didn't think the stage 3 package would be that effective. have you went down the 1320 yet? I would like to know what you are trapping at.

Not yet...the car feels about as fast as one of my previous cars ( Long Time Ago ) 95 AWD Talon 16G many mods and I ran 12.6's-12.8's all day at 110mph. I hope to get to the track Paul is going to sometime in fall and see what it will run. I would love to see a 12.89 at 109mph :biggrin:

On Sunday a new mustang passed me and then cut in front of me. Then he booted it and later slowed down. The back said Shelby but he wasn't that fast and as a test I booted my car and I was as fast from 60 kph to 90 kph.
Then with this thread I read up on the Shelby and can report I am smart enough not to race.

the shelby GT's should not be confused with the GT500. The shelby GT's are nothing more then a mustang with a different exhaust, intake, shift knob, paintjob and a fake hood scoop. they make around 15 more hp than the standard run of the mill GT's.

Not yet...the car feels about as fast as one of my previous cars ( Long Time Ago ) 95 AWD Talon 16G many mods and I ran 12.6's-12.8's all day at 110mph. I hope to get to the track Paul is going to sometime in fall and see what it will run. I would love to see a 12.89 at 109mph :biggrin:

no way, with your mods i was hoping it could do more than 110mph. i'm running close to 108mph with only i/h/e.

the shelby GT's should not be confused with the GT500. The shelby GT's are nothing more then a mustang with a different exhaust, intake, shift knob, paintjob and a fake hood scoop. they make around 15 more hp than the standard run of the mill GT's.

Don't forget about the V6 shelby with the vortech supercharger installed. Also, don't forget a lot of shelby wannabe's are rolling around. A see at least 1 guy a week with the shelby badge on his GT mustang or worse a V6. The shelby GT is just a GT with ford racing suspension pack and drag pack. The easiest way to tell if the car is a true GT500 is the front bumper design or listen for the whipple supercharger.

A Mustang is one of the best, if not the best all-around car ever made.

This has been posted for over 24 hours and I am the first one to respond?

Jett, PLEASE lay off the crack pipe. :eek:

I have driven many Mustangs on the street and track over the last 20 years. If you want to go fast in a straight line they are great cars. If you want to stop, turn, or anything else, forget it.

As for styling, this current retro craze is dead. These re-creations that are twice the size are played out. The Camaro will be the last one it and its going to sell poorly, I think. Its sad that these companies can't come up with new and intriguing designs.

Back