• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

2016 Acura NSX Key Fob?

Is there anything special with the key fob like the fancy BMW i8 one?
php2i0jwa.jpg

or is it just a regular Acura key fob?

Key fob has a lock, unlock, Trunk and panic buttons and it is big.
There is proximity sense for auto unlocking the doors as you approach them.

Then, as well, there is the key hole on the drivers door???????????

Last edited:
The ones that I have seen look like a regular Acura FOB. Just with "NSX" on it.

Maybe a key if the car battery or fob battery fails?

Yea, but Acura could have integrated it into the door handle like other Honda product, instead of a big pimple in the door skin. It looks like an after thought.

Yea, but Acura could have integrated it into the door handle like other Honda product, instead of a big pimple in the door skin. It looks like an after thought.

They were trying to stay true to the roots.

That would have delayed it another year. :tongue:

Not a fan of keyless ignition - do like keyless entry. Also like being able to unlock the door in an emergency w/a metal key though....

In my Porsche w/keyless, you can remove the dummy starter ignition key (usually remains in the starter key slot & talks to the traditional key if you prefer) and go with
the traditional key v keeping it in your pocket or having it drop into the abyss between the seats.

I wish Acura took a clue from GM. And I suspect others may have similar.

My XLR (like its Vette Sister) has pressure pads on inside edge of small opening for manual door opening buy touch (if present with fob in pocket of course)... and NO key hole.
If you have a too low or dead battery so getting in is an issue, there is a small hardly noticeable knock out in lower left corner of rear bumper skin.
You pop that open (with key or similar) and insert a special key (kept where ever you feel is handy) into the lock cylinder behind the knockout. Then turn to manually unlatch the electrically operated trunk (which of course also won't work if battery is dead). Then you need to manually lift (move slowly) the trunk lid open (not light as normal trunk since it has a number of hydraulic pistons which are providing dampened movement (like a shock absorber). Those are needed since trunk is 1'st moving part of the system for roof lift up and tucking into the trunk) . Once trunk is opened manually enough , there is a special door on inner wheel area) you swing open which is hiding a pull ring that manually unlatches the drivers door.
Yes it may sound like a lot of complexity. But it keeps the car surfaces clean for something you "should rarely" need to do. And it also adds enough security in the process required. I have had to use it a few times unfortunately, but prefer the above ritual over a highly visible door key hole on an otherwise virgin surface.

My XLR (like its Vette Sister) has pressure pads on inside edge of small opening for manual door opening buy touch (if present with fob in pocket of course)... and NO key hole.
If you have a too low or dead battery so getting in is an issue, there is a small hardly noticeable knock out in lower left corner of rear bumper skin.
You pop that open (with key or similar) and insert a special key (kept where ever you feel is handy) into the lock cylinder behind the knockout. Then turn to manually unlatch the electrically operated trunk (which of course also won't work if battery is dead). Then you need to manually lift (move slowly) the trunk lid open (not light as normal trunk since it has a number of hydraulic pistons which are providing dampened movement (like a shock absorber). Those are needed since trunk is 1'st moving part of the system for roof lift up and tucking into the trunk) . Once trunk is opened manually enough , there is a special door on inner wheel area) you swing open which is hiding a pull ring that manually unlatches the drivers door.
Yes it may sound like a lot of complexity. But it keeps the car surfaces clean for something you "should rarely" need to do. And it also adds enough security in the process required. I have had to use it a few times unfortunately, but prefer the above ritual over a highly visible door key hole on an otherwise virgin surface.

Your kidding...right?

That is correct my C6 Corvette is that way. Honestly, Gadgetman's explain is quite detailed so it seems quite involved. Once you do it, it really isn't bad. The key is seldom used and the process is quite quick in practice.

^^^^
That was an unfortunate case of not reading the instructions, with the means of escape clearly in range. So sad.

^^^^
That was an unfortunate case of not reading the instructions, with the means of escape clearly in range. So sad.

Good design with respect to safety must take into account that most people don't study their car's manual in depth. Since the majority of controls on a car are largely standardized, few owners would suspect that something as simple as how to open a door (from the inside!) would change when the battery dies. Even worse, in an emergency situation (e.g. car crash) the owner may not be cognizant enough to recall what they read in the manual. Shocked and confused they will instinctively reach for the normal door handle only to find it doesn't work!

- - - Updated - - -

That procedure you detailed for opening the car is absurd. While I'm sure that it becomes relatively easy to do after actually doing it a few times, what would happen if the first time you needed to do so was during an emergency? As detailed by one of the news articles above even the emergency responders had no idea how to open the locked Corvette. So my point is not unlikely fiction.

An electric only lock design increases cost, reduces reliability, and reduces safety. All this in order to get rid of that unsightly keyhole. Yet I'll bet your vehicle has those 10x more unsightly rear parking sensors on it. Imagine if those had never been invented and I punched series of round circles all across your bumper. You'd be screaming over and over about how unsightly it is. Then I could comfort you by saying "In the future all bumpers will look like this."

Yes it may sound like a lot of complexity. But it keeps the car surfaces clean for something you "should rarely" need to do. And it also adds enough security in the process required. I have had to use it a few times unfortunately, but, DO NOT perferthe above ritual over a highly visible door key hole on an otherwise virgin surface.

Fixed it for ya :smile:

That i8 key fob is awesome. For a plug-in hybrid being able to remotely monitor your charging status makes sense. But it seems pointless for the NSX. What would you hope to monitor remotely?

However how likely is it that the i8 key fob will still be working in 10 or 20 years? It looks like an expensive component that will surely break at some point. Not to mention it will appear hopelessly outdated as the car ages. (Imagine a 20 year old cell phone). A standard key will age better, both in terms of reliability and style.

Good design with respect to safety must take into account that most people don't study their car's manual in depth. Since the majority of controls on a car are largely standardized, few owners would suspect that something as simple as how to open a door (from the inside!) would change when the battery dies. Even worse, in an emergency situation (e.g. car crash) the owner may not be cognizant enough to recall what they read in the manual. Shocked and confused they will instinctively reach for the normal door handle only to find it doesn't work!

- - - Updated - - -

That procedure you detailed for opening the car is absurd. While I'm sure that it becomes relatively easy to do after actually doing it a few times, what would happen if the first time you needed to do so was during an emergency? As detailed by one of the news articles above even the emergency responders had no idea how to open the locked Corvette. So my point is not unlikely fiction.

An electric only lock design increases cost, reduces reliability, and reduces safety. All this in order to get rid of that unsightly keyhole. Yet I'll bet your vehicle has those 10x more unsightly rear parking sensors on it. Imagine if those had never been invented and I punched series of round circles all across your bumper. You'd be screaming over and over about how unsightly it is. Then I could comfort you by saying "In the future all bumpers will look like this."

WOW... how does such a simple comment on personal preference of a design feature generate so much unrest?! Geezzzz, it is only really needed IF car (or fob) battery is dead to get in.
I guess it is merely to each his own. Not sure of what the emergency you speak of. In the case of the very few times I needed to do the process (to get in), it was just because the car had not been used for some time, and battery was on is way out (since previous owner did not believe in battery tricklers). Since I replaced the battery several years ago, never used the (actually easy once done) process again. The XLR (like vette brother) has no key holes or even door handles or levers which suit the cars smooth side profiles. Yes there are sensors in rear bumper which are flush body colored symmetrically placed discs. But those are barely noticeable (IMHO) with all the other (typically more complex eye candy vs smooth) stuff going on with typical rear view of most cars. Plus are quite common these days. And they at least provide a useful function (and much more frequently) of preventing damage or injury on car with such poor rear (pre-camera option) visibility. They blend in well enough since (IMHO) who really looks at/notices and focuses on those small flush body colored discs as much as other detail stuff going on back there ? When I view a cars side the handles and key holes are a bit more noticed (IMHO).
On electrically locking only added costs... a comment not really thought through. How many cars now don't already have electrical locks as standard? SO, adding mechanical handles and outer key mechanisms to function in parallel is more of adding to the cost for both the inside handle (vs push button on Vette and XLR and probably others) and outside key operated mechanism. And yes (vette and XLR) there is a CLEARLY LABELED emergency handles inside on floor at side of the seats which have a cables linked to the mechanism for release so act same as a door handle. Not sure how a new owner won't notice such and the icons for use early on and then recall it. If you are a car person, and higher end buyers should be that, wouldn't it be pretty natural to wonder what do I do if battery or electric door release fails and figure there must be a fail safe back up? If not, they probably should be in such a car. And when buying new, it would be a feature a sales person would/should be pointing out That may or may not be more cost than a door mounted release handle plus outer key mechanism... who knows. But lack of mechanical handles and locks also allows for more flexibility of inner door design since those mechanical lever and handle compromises don't have to be designed in.

I guess I'll just I give up and will try to post less "such controversial" ideas or suggestions on things going forward.

Last edited:
Back