• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

2018 RLX Sports Hybrid

I'm sorry Doc. After seeing it in person, I just think it's too darn big. In fact... it's huge. :(

That's why I like it so much. I can take my kids in it with their booster seats and they can't kick the back of the front seats. :biggrin:

The size addresses the complaint about the RL before it, which I also owned, that the back seat was too small. The back seat in the RLX is HUGE, the largest in its class, in fact. Acura needs to put some extra stuff back there, like USB ports and ventilated seats. Maybe make them adjust. The Koreans (well, OK, Genesis) are doing that and then charging less than the Germans.

The eSH-AWD system makes the car handle "smaller" than its size. Other than in a parking lot, the car's nimble for its size. It's like a school bus in the parking lot, though; the turning radius is atrociously large.

I agree with all of the above except the turning radius. It's less than my Focus RS.

That's why I like it so much. I can take my kids in it with their booster seats and they can't kick the back of the front seats. :biggrin:

That's a very valid Point indeed! :) :)

the grille or the overall car?

the car is within 1" of the 5 series in all exterior measurements.

The overall size. Sitting in the drivers seat.... (to me), it just feels very large.

man....I love Honda/Acura, but they need to go in a new direction....thing is hideous.

oversized headlights, funky grill, lines are blended and looks like a land yacht.

It just can't compete with BMW, Audi, Lexus and even Hyundai in looks dept. these days.....

for less money id much rather have this
BMW-4-Series-GC-Thumbnail-2.jpg

Last edited:
man....I love Honda/Acura, but they need to go in a new direction....thing is hideous.

oversized headlights, funky grill, lines are blended and looks like a land yacht.

It just can't compete with BMW, Audi, Lexus and even Hyundai in looks dept. these days.....

for less money id much rather have this

A 2018 530i with a 248hp 4cyl and comparable options to with the RLX stickers at $64k. There is no way the BMW is a better car for $20k more, and I'm not talking about the hybrid RLX. Consider that the purchase price of my RLX was $44k and it's a no brainer.

A 2018 530i with a 248hp 4cyl and comparable options to with the RLX stickers at $64k. There is no way the BMW is a better car for $20k more, and I'm not talking about the hybrid RLX. Consider that the purchase price of my RLX was $44k and it's a no brainer.

The picture is a 440i Grand Coup which start at $48,000 - the new RLX starts at $55,000

these are the numbers according to Car and Driver

BMW 4 series GC

base price $48000

top speed 155

0-60 4.9 sec

300 hp

Acura RLX

base price $55,000

top speed 133

0-60 5.8 sec

310 hp

Even if the Acura had better numbers I'd go with the much better looking BMW.

like I said, I love Honda/Acura, but besides the NSX they don't make anything exciting....They are boring cars to put it nicely. They need to go in a new design direction IMO.

Yeah the RLX is slower, but in that category of car, the 0-60 isn't the main selling point. I also don't give a crap about top speed anymore as I rarely drive north of 90mph. I do agree that the RLX is bland looking. But sometimes not getting attention is preferable, especially when I'm driving 10-15mph over the speed limit.

I built a 4 Series GC with similar options to my RLX and it comes out a little more expensive. Furthermore, if I were to own either one out of warranty it wouldn't be a BMW. I can say with confidence that if the new RLX has that hideous grill and rear tail lights in 2019, that I won't be getting my third RLX. I will have to patiently wait. A little FYI, I've never owned the same car twice in my 34yrs of owning 72 cars and the RLX is the first vehicle that I traded in for the exact same car, same color, same package. Once you live with one for a little while the technology and gadgets are very friendly.

Below is my BMW build.

BASE MSRP$49,500
COLORMineral White Metallic$550
WHEELS19" Bi-Color Orbit Grey Star-Spoke Wheels Style 407 with Mixed Performance Tires$900
UPHOLSTERYBlack Dakota Leather with Dark Oyster highlight
TRIMBurl Walnut Wood Trim with Pearl Gloss Chrome highlight
PACKAGES + OPTIONS
Executive Package$2,100
Luxury Package$1,450
Premium Package$2,000
Variable sport steering
DESTINATION + HANDLING$995
TOTAL MSRP as Built$57,495

I want a big car and have test drove the RLX 3 times. Each times came out feeling empty. I like it but love it. I tried but cannot get excited driving it. Maybe the hybrid is different which I heard. Anyway. I test drove a 2014 750i and 740i and 535i. These car drive so much better. They are heavy and tanky but at the same time the car feel sporty. But you cannot really compare because of price and reliability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^^^
The Sport Hybrid is definitely a more entertaining drive.....if you can find one.

Haven't driven an RLX yet, but am looking to upgrade from my 2005 RL to a 2014 hybrid advance CPO 25k mi offered at mid $30's or a new 2016 non hybrid offered at $37k -- but based on comments here looks like I shouldn't bother with the non hybrid.

Haven't driven an RLX yet, but am looking to upgrade from my 2005 RL to a 2014 hybrid advance CPO 25k mi offered at mid $30's or a new 2016 non hybrid offered at $37k -- but based on comments here looks like I shouldn't bother with the non hybrid.

This site is only a very, very, very small sample size of people who have driven both versions. Give the car a chance and try to learn about all of the great features. The 2016 is a good car. The technology Package comes with a lot of great features. The adaptive cruise control is amazing. I can use it on my commute to work and not have to use the brakes on the car at all if I wished. The lane departure system, although neat, is a little too invasive for me. I love the brake assist so I don't have to hold my foot on the brakes at a red light. The dual screen system is great as you can the NAV on the top screen and the radio presets visible on the lower screen. Unlike on other cars where you have to constantly switch between screens and use a stupid mouse or knob to search through the functions. The only thing bad about the car is the voice recognition. It never understands what I'm saying and it isn't intuitive. The voice recognition inmy Focus RS is 1000x better.

If you can get the dealer to let you test the RLX for 24hrs, do it. To get a similar optioned MB or BMW (both with leather) you'll spend a whole lot more. Furthermore, between the two RLX's I've owned, all I've had to do are oil changes and tire rotations. I even got those thrown in for free for the term of my lease.

Just be mindful of one thing. The car is not a glitzy as most luxury sedans. It's almost invisible on the road, and I've only seen three others in the four years that I've had an RLX. BTW, $37k is a decent deal if it's the Advance model.

Last edited:
Yikes.......scathing commentary.

http://www.autoextremist.com/on-the-table1/

"Honda/Acura. Editor-in-Chief's Note: This is the new "face" - featuring a "diamond pentagon" grille - of the 2018 Acura RLX, Honda's continuing lame attempt at doing a large-ish (sort of) luxury car. The new, top-of-the-line RLX Sport Hybrid is "supercar inspired" because it has 377HP, Super Handling All-Wheel-Drive and is (allegedly) "further optimized based on NSX leanings," whatever the hell that means. And the standard RLX has AcuraWatch enhanced with Traffic Jam Assist, an Acura first. Alrighty, then. This is Acura - yet again - beating a dead horse with the RLX. When is Honda/Acura management going to give this charade up and do a clean sheet design for a proper large car that actually has a shred of desirability to it? My guess is probably never, because they seem to be flat incapable of it. To top it all off, Acura PR minions had the following in the press release: "The 2018 Acura RLX is complimented by three new exterior colors including two premium paint offerings – Brilliant Red Metallic and Majestic Black Pearl." Other than the NSX - which is way too heavy, by the way - the management at Honda/Acura is clearly inept. In fact collectively they well and truly suck. And in case you're wondering, that is not a compliment. -PMD"

Well, for what its worth I do like the overall car. My wife was settling on an '18 TLX at my NSX dealer and I noticed a left over '17 RLX Hybrid at a good deal. I tried to sway her toward it over the TLX, but she said too big and she doesn't like black (as a car owned that is). She then said if I like it so much, why don't I sell my '05 RL and get it. Hmmm, did I just get a free pass? In spite of it not being a desired color scheme for me either (Black on Black) it got me thinking. And a few days later at a car function, I spoke with a guy having it (though an early model) as well as Gen 2 NSX and he loves the RLX. Claimed he was so curious of it driving so well that he put it (RLX) on dyno, and got over 400 ponies at wheels. That got me more tempted.
So I went to look at the '17 again to test drive and liked it. But then saw same color scheme on an '18 at another dealers (just to compare) since mine did not have an '18 on site. I really like upgrades made in '18 (both inside and out). I love the available Expresso interior which is on wife's TLX. And though still not the RLX is far form best looking, I do like that it doesn't at all look like anything else out there in its filed or close to its field. After a few weeks I have come to really like the wife's' new TLX (SHAWD/Tech/Advanced) more and more than in beginning. Plus she is been getting 31-32 MPGs in mixed driving from the beginning in a non hybrid assist car. I assume it will only get better after a few K of break in miles.
A few weeks ago I learned of ACURAs very attractive incentives on '18's and then even more discounted if leasing. So, a few weeks ago I ordered an '18 RLX S Hybrid in White and Expresso as I wanted. It will be my first time leasing, but it was best overall $'s deal as I plan to buy at residual in 3 yrs. Sold my '05 RL a few days later. The '18 is due in a few weeks so I'm getting anxious. With the incentives, there really wasn't anything else of interest anywhere near the price if comparably equipped.

i think its a good looking car. better than an avalon or ES350.

the lease cash really makes it an intriguing choice.

Sigh. I wish those deals (or the upgrades) were around a year ago when I was looking. I’d roll in a 2018 RLX SH any day of the week. Instead, I’m a year into the TLX A-Spec, itself a nice car other than a balky transmission.

Back