• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

235/40/17 with 02 type r suspension

Thinking of going with 235/40/17 yoko s drives on the front i know it will on full lock but under normal driving would rub much with nsx-r suspension. The wheels are rpf1 17x8 +45?. Also if i add the ct front clamps i bought would this be a significant clearance issue. For the rear I have to put on the rpf1 17x9.5 +38 i have Currently on my sc300 5spd with bridgestone re760 sports in 275/40/17

I had rubbing with 235/40/17 Bridgestone RE-01R's. It rubbed the inside fender area with larger steering angles as well as rubbing the plastic vents in front of the wheels at smaller steering angles. I think those size tires will rub during suspension compression for certain types of bumps and entering steep driveways. Why not just run 215's?

I've read that 235's will rub on the Comptech non-compliance clamps.

Why do you want tires that wide/tall?

I wouldn't call S drives crappy I would call them realistic with the tread life they provide and they are the same class of tires I have on the rear, I also have the NT01's still i got from you but these tires are pretty much for street use because there isn't tracks around here really anyways. The 215/275 gap seems i bit extreme to me, But if its not a specific disavantage in cornering I guess thats fine.

A 235/40/17 is probably going to rub quite a bit as mentioned. I don't know how you feel about that. How low is the Type-R suspension? I ran 12kg fronts with stock front swaybar and raised the car until there was no rubbing under suspension compression. It didn't look pretty but it worked. A larger swaybar would have allowed me to run a little lower but would have bottomed out more on certain even bumps.

I'd say run the 215 fronts and see what you think. The car will understeer if really pushed but how fast do you drive on the street? Another advantage to running narrow front tires is that the steering will feel lighter.

If you were racing the car, I'd say run the widest tire with the most amount of rubbing you are comfortable with but for street driving I'm not seeing too much of an advantage of running a wide front tire.

The 235/40/17s will rub on full lock and very likely on the fender liners too, plus they won't work with your traction control on. This is OK at the track but really agravating on the street...go with 215/40/17s, you will never notice the difference in grip on the street.

215/40/17 is a better choice for street driving. I have 235 and the rubbing has become really annoying not even at full lock and the inner fender takes a beating as well. Also, the NSX has poor turing radius as it and with 235s, an extra turn is often needed. a 3 point turn often turns into 5 point turn. No big deal but its a hassle.

The car sure has plenty of grip (Nitto NT05) and no push at all with a NA motor but a sticky 215 would be just fine for street or if 215 pushes, you are driving too aggressive for the street. 235 is great for the track but a hassle for the street.

I am going for 215/275 Dunlop Star Spec next time.

235/40/17 will require removal of the front fan shrouds and will rub the inner wheel well,with the R susp..but small sacrifices for outstanding track performance...I change to a 215/40 for street use.

just an observation-
many tires do not offer a significantly larger contact patch to corellate with the tire width as described by the 'number'. also, using too large of a tire on a wheel simply 'cups' the tire decreasing the contact patch so while you may think you are running a 275, in reality the contact patch is the same as 265 or 255 (depending on tire type etc) and the only change is heavier tire and owner's 'perception'.

my wheels are properly sized to accept either 235/275 or 215/265. 255 is probably too small for the wheel. I don't need 275 as I am only NA. I agree, 265 will be ok. slightly lighter and better gearing, contact patch is nearly the same.

picked up some 215/40/17 falken 452's for the street.
69188_1436629164607_1499327365_30973535_4210023_n.jpg

just an observation-
many tires do not offer a significantly larger contact patch to corellate with the tire width as described by the 'number'. also, using too large of a tire on a wheel simply 'cups' the tire decreasing the contact patch so while you may think you are running a 275, in reality the contact patch is the same as 265 or 255 (depending on tire type etc) and the only change is heavier tire and owner's 'perception'.
Given the same tire pressures, the contact patch should be the same regardless of the width of the tire (dictated by the weight of the vehicle). Widening the tire increases the width and shortens the length of the contact patch - changing the shape which can be better for cornering.

215/275 split is still fine, especially for a street setup.

What about 225/40/17, would this rub on full compression with the R suspension?

have you found a "good" tire in that size?

What do you think about the 215/45/17 for street use? The OD is exactly 1" greater than stock, which I guess is +.5" on each end --is that enough to rub the fender liner when turning? The diameter difference is +4.07% so that means the speedo is ~4% too slow as well. Will having a 215 mounted on an 8"w wheel stretch it out AND reduce the OD or sidewall height or will I just be stuck with a too narrow/too tall tire? My main concern with the 215 is not adequately protecting the wheels-- obviously I am hoping the 45 series sidewall height of 3.80" would help with that, though I am very concerned that the rim would still protrude laterally into a vulnerable position.

As stated above, 225/40/17 is the most ideal size but there are no tires in that size, and since a 225/45/17 will definitely rub and may cause TCS problems, 225/35/17 is the only other alternative... but there are only two tires available in that size (Falken FK452 and the Yokohama S.drive). I really wanted to get the BFG KDW this time around but I would have to get the 215/45 tire for that. The advantage I see is with the 225 is the width is obviously more appropriate for an 8"w wheel and the OD is only -1.75% off stock (so it's too fast this time). Big plus on the sizing, big minus on the tires available.

Since I'm looking to buy a tire in that class anyways (either the S.drive or the BFG KDW), I suppose it is an issue of preference. The 225w S.drive would work because then I could get a 255-265/35/18 rear tire to match. Any opinions on the KDW vs the S.drive? They seem to be very similar except that the KDW looks much better and costs more. I think the Star Spec is available in the 215/45/17 with a matching rear, I am liking the reviews I am reading about that tire and it is comparable in price to the KDW. The rear tires are easier to match up once the front is settled down.

So what do you guys think --215/45/17 or 225/35/17 FTW and why? It seems most people recommend 215/40/17 for the front...Do any of the three tires in the 215 width have a good bead protector? The starspec looks really wide for a 215 and it looks like it has a bead protector: http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134313&highlight=225+35+17x8

Actually I found this site too but it didn't have all the sizes I'm trying to compare: http://www.tyrestretch.com/index.php

Last edited:
I don't have the inner plastic wheel wells in the front of my car. With -1.5* of front camber I don't rub even on full lock. 235/40-17 17x7.5 +40something (42?)

Well I ended up ordering a 215/40/17 and 255/35/18 set of BFG KDW's today. Hopefully they aren't too stretched and the wheels survive. I might go for the star specs next summer if I don't end up liking the KDWs. I'll try and post some pics for future reference since I didn't find any of this specific tire in this size.

Back