• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

2nd gen NSX as an investment?

I disagree. If it weren't for the trademark issue, the car would most likely have been called a GT40. That's like saying the 2009 Nissan GTR isn't a GTR because it's not a "Skyline GTR". Or by saying the retro Ford Thunderbird isn't a Thunderbird, or the retro Challenger isn't a Challenger, or the NSX isn't an NSX because it's a hybrid, etc...

Semantics aside, the Ford GT is the successor and part of the GT40 heritage. It's technically incorrect to call the 2004-present cars "GT40"s, it's not entirely appropriate to discount the lineage.

The fact is the 2005-2006 Ford GT are officially called "Ford GT" and not GT40 regardless if you approve or not. It is not disputable. No one is disputing the heritage as I already said that the Ford GT is a homage to the GT40. I have not met one single Ford GT owner referring his cars as GT40.
Steve

cars as investments? not unless it's a Ferrari, or a pretty limited edition Porsche or Mercedes. :smile:

but considering the 2017 NSX took a $60,000 hit before it even left showrooms. yeah, umm, no...

Think of it as an investment in your happiness. The new nsx is the 1st vehicle I have purchased, been satisfied with and not thinking about the next car/motorcycle I want. Sure, at some point I'll buy another car but it's a strange content feeling I've never experienced before. I know the car isn't perfect because if I could only have 1 sportcar it would be a Porsche Boxster because the 2 trunks fit my lifestyle best (easily fit 2 carry-on suitcases in the frunk a few weeks ago and I still had the rear if needed for anything else). Surprisingly 1 carryon suitcase fit on the right side of the nsx trunk and an extra duffel on the left but that was it. Tesla model s is not something to do a comparison with, every other neighbor on my street has one or a model x. Are they the p100d version? I don't know or care as they all look the same to me

The fact is the 2005-2006 Ford GT are officially called "Ford GT" and not GT40 regardless if you approve or not. It is not disputable. No one is disputing the heritage as I already said that the Ford GT is a homage to the GT40. I have not met one single Ford GT owner referring his cars as GT40.
Steve
It's not whether "I approve or not", nor is it if "you approve or not". The facts are, Ford wanted to 'bring back' the GT40 for the 100th anniversary. Trademarking prevented that from happening so the car was called the "Ford GT". Hell, the 2002 show car was called the "GT40". You're trying to make it out as two completely different cars when they are directly linked to each other. I never claimed that Ford GT owners call their cars GT40s.

The Viper pays homage to the Shelby Cobra. The Ford GT is a direct linage to the GT40. The Nissan GTR is a direct linage from the R34 Skyline GTR.

the tesla p100d is an amazing car and won’t depreciate as fast as most cars, no tesla’s do..it’s hard to improve on o-60 in 2,3 seconds and with over the air up dates the car is in a constant state of change not to mention that they were built to last an extremely long time..having said that i’d wait for the refreshed model most likely coming out later this year..

this ^^^^^............... but fun factor NSX
4 year old P85D's (0-60 3.1) are still bringing about 60% return and it's a family sedan:cool:

Last edited:
Do you think the limited production and low number of units would make a difference in the long term value of this car?

I think it's too early to tell, the car is still in production and we don't know what Honda plans to do with it. If they stop production now saying they will never make another car like that then the prices may sky rocket, if they continue to make it for 15 more years without much change in price or performance then it will take a long time before we see any appreciation.

this ^^^^^............... but fun factor NSX
4 year old P85D's (0-60 3.1) are still bringing about 60% return and it's a family sedan:cool:

This will be very interesting to see. Generally speaking, electric cars are still relatively new to the market and whenever something new just surfaces it gets improved many times before the industry sort of balances out so we may see some attractive new choices in that category soon. I really like the idea of electric cars but I am still a little uncertain about how the electric battery will be handled, I am most skeptical about the cost of replacement and possibly the costs associated with recycling.

Any modern car as an investment? BWAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA!

Steps to this (or any) car as investment:
a) Purchase
b) Drive car to hermetically sealed, climate controlled storage unit
c) Store for minimum of 25 years, changing fluids once a year and treating the rubber
d) PROFIT!

But of course, it would be a damn shame. Having ridden in one at NSXPO, the new car is made to drive, just like the old one. It'd be a waste to just see the rubber rotting away in storage for 25 years.....

Last edited:
I say don't do it. It's a toy, if one day you wake up and it's worth good money then great but buying it solely as an investment is very risky.

Look what happend here:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...A1158MT000897?highlight=1991+chicago+original

3 guys came together and each came up with 20 000 to buy this 60 000 car, 20 years later they maybe got what they paid for it, considering inflation and storage costs they lost a lot of money. Maybe they unloaded it too soon, maybe today the car could be worth 120 000 which is double the original MSRP but that would still maybe cover costs, inflation and storage fees. If these guys bought a Porsche turbo, Ford GT or something else that happened to appreciate by a lot then that would be a different story buy you just never know.

In my opinion Honda vehicles are made to be driven, not collected. They seem to be relatively inexpensive when new, easy to live with and don't depreciate all that much after you put some serious miles on them. If you want a good investment then take the same money and maybe get a Ferrari F430 in manual (last Ferrari from that segment offered with manual transmission), some late model limited production Porsche or see if you can find a decent deal on the 2004-2005 Ford GT.

Just my opinion.

Interesting situation. I feel sorry for those guys. Then again, those guys were selling in 2011, well in the deep cycle of the recession. Those were the days to buy stuff... NSXs for under $20k, homes short-sales, foreclosures. If you just bought and held on to now, you'd be making bank!!

Interesting situation. I feel sorry for those guys. Then again, those guys were selling in 2011, well in the deep cycle of the recession. Those were the days to buy stuff... NSXs for under $20k, homes short-sales, foreclosures. If you just bought and held on to now, you'd be making bank!!

Should have held on to it a few more years....would have got a lot more for it.

This would have been better investment

1957 bmw 507 msrp $8,500

Worth over $2,000,000 today.

Screenshot-2016-03-07-08.37.32.png

Very true but how many teens can afford $8500 back in 1957?

Assuming you were 18 back then and can afford the car, you'd be 79 today. Point is investments in cars in general terms are horrible and even if the 2017+ NSX goes up in value in 20 years most of us would be pretty old and not care at that point.

You want to invest, go buy homes or other commodities. Cars should be an emotional purchase not a financial one.

Should have held on to it a few more years....would have got a lot more for it.

This would have been better investment

1957 bmw 507 msrp $8,500

Worth over $2,000,000 today.

Screenshot-2016-03-07-08.37.32.png

Very true but how many teens can afford $8500 back in 1957?

Assuming you were 18 back then and can afford the car, you'd be 79 today. Point is investments in cars in general terms are horrible and even if the 2017+ NSX goes up in value in 20 years most of us would be pretty old and not care at that point.

You want to invest, go buy homes or other commodities. Cars should be an emotional purchase not a financial one.

Agree.... just using that as the extreme example of what certain cars can do as far as increases in value...

Wish I woulda bought bitcoin in 2014.... and dumped it last month:tongue:

If you are one of those youtuber..... May be, low ball whoever to buy one, (say will give whatever store to give them good review. Otherwise, bad review) drive for few month, sell to whoever for same or more, (same thing, will give them good review ...bluh bluh ....)

you our may not making money on the cars, but make money from your YouTube channel....

I say don't do it. It's a toy, if one day you wake up and it's worth good money then great but buying it solely as an investment is very risky.

Look what happend here:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...A1158MT000897?highlight=1991+chicago+original

3 guys came together and each came up with 20 000 to buy this 60 000 car, 20 years later they maybe got what they paid for it, considering inflation and storage costs they lost a lot of money. Maybe they unloaded it too soon, maybe today the car could be worth 120 000 which is double the original MSRP but that would still maybe cover costs, inflation and storage fees. If these guys bought a Porsche turbo, Ford GT or something else that happened to appreciate by a lot then that would be a different story buy you just never know.

In my opinion Honda vehicles are made to be driven, not collected. They seem to be relatively inexpensive when new, easy to live with and don't depreciate all that much after you put some serious miles on them. If you want a good investment then take the same money and maybe get a Ferrari F430 in manual (last Ferrari from that segment offered with manual transmission), some late model limited production Porsche or see if you can find a decent deal on the 2004-2005 Ford GT.

Just my opinion.

Wow.. I never saw that thread. They definitely unloaded it too soon!

I think the new NSX is a terrible investment - for investments sake.

1. It costs you money each year. Even if you barely drive it (as when you do, every mile decreases value), your still have to pay insurance, licensing and yearly maintenance and every few years - even if you're not driving on them. Figure $4K a year.
2. There is a ton of bleeding edge technology in the car. Mine has not been terribly reliable and i've had lots of small issues. Over time, I don't see these getting better - I see them getting worse, and the cost to repair these complex cars will only go up. 10 years from now, buying new batteries and having the skilled/trained labor to replace them, along with all the motors, IMU's, etc - if anything goes, it could be painfully expensive, or impossible to fix. Having owned a Lotus Esprit V8 turbo - I can tell you when you have a complex and rare car, and something breaks - you can be out shocking amounts of $, and have the car out of commission for 6+ months. Let's just assume you squirrel away $2K a year to cover any major issues in the future, or unforeseen maintenance.
3. Anytime you consider an investment, you have to consider other prospective investments. Say you put $200K into the stock market in mutual funds and get a moderate ~5% yearly return and you take that ~$6K a year you were going to spend on the car (Yearly operating cost + maintenance fund) and in 20 years you'd have $739K, or in 25 years $978K - without accounting for inflation. I think the chance of the NSX being worth that kind of $ in 20-25 years is quite low. Frankly - there's a higher probability of it being illegal to drive in 25 years (save for a closed course) since we'll more than likely all be using driverless cars - thus driving down the value of many "enthusiast" cars - especially since it'll be a relic of the past for younger generations. Frankly, driverless cars are the reason to get and enjoy the vehicles you want now.

Simply put, cars are rarely successful investments, especially when purchased new. There are some exceptions, but those are few and far between, and I doubt the new NSX is one of them. If you are looking for a $130K investment, maybe consider rental property or stocks.

If you are asking which car (Tesla/NSX) will depreciate less, that is a different conversation, as we are no longer talking about an investment. I would agree with the reasoning that the Tesla will depreciate faster than the NSX and bottom out much lower than the original difference in MSRP. My reasoning is rarity and desirability, the NSX exceeds the Tesla in both of those categories.

Laugh it up Fuzzball ! ;)

Bought my MINT 91 NSX for 45K.
Ferrari 512BB for 105K.
Mint Porsche GT2 for 85K.
Last gen RX7 with 450 miles for 25K.
As new Ducati 999R for 9.5K
Etc...etc..
Still have them all.

I generally wait 10 years before depreciation has bottomed out.
Some cars appreciate from day 1 (try to get on the Ferrari "Special car" list..I double dog dare you !).

IMO the next gen NSX will be an investment car. When to get in as an investment ? Time will tell.
If its a "Forever car" might as well buy now and new.
I have never bought a New car for myself. Ever.
Seriously considering a NEW gen 2 NSX.

Last edited:
Yes 996GT2.
Ride if almost too stiff for the street but with two people on board it smoothes out.

"The Widowmaker".
Honestly makes me nervous pressing it.

Who saw 930s going crazy like that ?
Had a shot at a Special Wishes slant nose prototype (lights in the bumper and car was in many Porsche books/magazines ) for 40K...Oooops !

Last edited:
Back