• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

350Z vs NSX

I can't believe they are saying 350Z is better car than NSX.
rolleyes.gif
I think 350Z is great car, but better than NSX? I don't think so.

http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB11&Number=322593&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

Well I just happeend to see a 350z on com ave Boston today.. I pulled up and talked to the driver... it looked really nice in person...and the driver seems to love it.
(more or less I begin to like it too )

350z is a better car? I would say YES according to its price tag.

over all maybe not.. I havent driven one yet.. I might go test drive one some time this weekend..and then we will see.. and then I will have an answer to post here..

).]

[This message has been edited by BostonNSX (edited 19 September 2002).]

If you were looking for a brand new car that is the best bang for your buck, I am sure the 350Z is right up there with the Vettes but any way you slice it, it will never be considered an EXOTIC car. I would much rather spend $35K or less for a used NSX and customize it a little than to buy a car that you will eventually see everywhere on the road. Let's not mention the depreciation factor. Once you drive off the lot with a brand new car, you've lost a big chunk of change. Factor in the premium you will have to pay in order to be one of the first kids on the block to drive that new toy and I will have to say no thanks. That is why I bought a used NSX. A wise man once told me: LEASE NEW, BUY USED! Bottom line, everyone has differences in opinions and preferrences. That is what makes us all UNIQUE!

Each and every time a brand new car comes to market it raises the water level a notch or two higher (or at least the manufacturer hopes).

Is this the case with the new 350Z? Probably so.

Pound for pound, and dollar for dollar this car is probably good value - maybe even very good value. This is something that we may well be seeing more of - maybe much more.

The fact that they compare this car to the NSX is not much of a surprise. First off, I would EXPECT the comparison to be to another Japanese product. Why not. It also gives the comparison to the NSX an additional dose of legitimacy.

That said, it hardly bothers me. I purchased my car knowing that the design (and technology) was 10 years old - but even at that, one of the best kept secrets on the road. What does that say about the NSX from the onset?

When you are near (or at the top) you are always a target. It is just that the water table of technology has risen quickly over the last decade. Honda created a timeless design and a wonderful sportscar in the NSX.

The only question is what happens after 2003.

I had two 300ZX TTs in the past and like the new 350Z.

Will I tell the wife to get one so I can play with it from time to time? Yes.

But will I consider trading the NSX for one? Hell no.

[This message has been edited by 8000RPM (edited 19 September 2002).]

Originally posted by BostonNSX:

350z is a better car? I would say YES according to its price tag.

This is like saying the NSX is a better car than the 360 Modena simply because it has a lower price tag - which of course would be a flawed conclusion.

Originally posted by topdaytrader:
The problem is F360 can live up to its price.

Interesting comment...

What if the 360 Modena was priced $20k higher, $50k higher, $100k higher, or even $200k higher than its current retail level... at what pricing threshold does it cease being capable of living up to its price?

I am wondering how one goes about determining whether a car can live up to its price or not.

I had the opportunity to see a 350Z up close and personal...Might be a fun car to drive, but the car IMO is butt ugly...Looks like a car that daddy's little girl will be driving...Pretty soon you will see enough of the base models rolling around and the car will blend in with the rest of crowd. Trade my NSX for one...No way... The dealer I used to buy my Cobra's from recently called me and gave me a great deal on a 2003 Cobra...After test driving it I had to decline...I can't go back to driving a front-engined car..The dealer could not understand why...until I let him drive my NSX. His last words were "I guess I'll give you a call when we get a new GT40 on the lot".

I had the chance to get one last saturday (as an addition, not a replacement), standard sticker price (ie nothing over), fully loaded, enthusiast package with a 6 speed. I drove it and in my opinion it sucks! It did not feel anything like 300hp to me. It felt really heavy, and has very plasticy and cheap inside. I guess I would say it felt fat in the a**. The Nissan guys at dealer were acting like it was one of 25 in existance and I was so privilaged to get it for sticker. They can keep it. The clutch was soft and not very sporty, and it was not strong until about 3500 rpm's. I did however like the outside look and the headlights. I walked on the car, hate to rain on the parade and they are supposed to be hard to get, but I for one passed and would never buy that car. Just my impression, no flames please.
Aaron

I have yet to see a 350Z in person, but I am not too impressed from mag pics. Another thing I don't like AT ALL is that the interior of that car, and the new SUV, look very close. IMO, a sports cars dash should be unique. I also think the interior looks cheap, but I cannot be sure until i actually sit in one.

I drove a G35 not too long ago, and I thought it had pretty decent power. It certainly isnt explosive, but pretty linear. I will be interested to see how the Z performs.

[This message has been edited by NetViper (edited 19 September 2002).]

Originally posted by AaronR:
It felt really heavy

It is really heavy. And every review I've read so far has said so.

It's also slower than the early five-speed NSX (and we won't even talk about the 3.2-liter NSX) - only in the high fives 0-60. Which is why the forums in that link wondered why the numbers posted by the 350Z weren't anywhere near those of the NSX.

It's a great car for the money. But it's no NSX.

BTW, I notice that the forums in the link above were complaining about the performance of the automatic NSX, among other things.
rolleyes.gif

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 19 September 2002).]

What is a G35 ?

We had a 350Z in the NSX driving school last time. It was the track edition. One of the instructor (also personal friend) took it for a ride, and think it is a nice car. However, it doesn't hold a candle to the NSX. Not even an NSX in stock form.

------------------
<A HREF="http://www.tracknutz.com" TARGET=_blank>www.tracknutz.com
</A>
Join us Nov 24!

Originally posted by AaronR:
I had the chance to get one last saturday (as an addition, not a replacement), standard sticker price (ie nothing over), fully loaded, enthusiast package with a 6 speed. I drove it and in my opinion it sucks! It did not feel anything like 300hp to me. It felt really heavy, and has very plasticy and cheap inside. I guess I would say it felt fat in the a**. The Nissan guys at dealer were acting like it was one of 25 in existance and I was so privilaged to get it for sticker. They can keep it. The clutch was soft and not very sporty, and it was not strong until about 3500 rpm's. I did however like the outside look and the headlights. I walked on the car, hate to rain on the parade and they are supposed to be hard to get, but I for one passed and would never buy that car. Just my impression, no flames please.
Aaron

You know they are lying about how rare they are. Just wait...they are coming to shore.

0209scc_zcar01_zoom.jpg

HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW! talk about a nickel a dozen!

Originally posted by Jim:
You know they are lying about how rare they are. Just wait...they are coming to shore.

I read somewhere, 30K vehicles will be produced this year alone. In some parts of the country, it is difficult to find the car at sticker (like in the Bay Area, CA).

If I remember right, I was at San Pedro Harbor about to board a cruise ship about 8-10 years ago and saw about 20 NSX's at the port. I was totally impressed as each one had a car cover over it and not some plastic to protect the paint.
Bottom line is you get what you pay for 8^)

Does anyone else notice how similar they look to the Audi TT? Sport Compact Car had pics of both from the same perspective & it was interesting to see how alike they look.

NetViper: THANKS!

You know, I have family over at the Nissan Corporation. I told him I was looking for a new car and he said I can get you the 'Z' or the G35 coupe at dealer's cost so you don't have to worry about any salesman's BS'-ing me.

Have to admit, it is REALLY tempting. To get a highly desirable car at far less than everyone else in the world will be forking over for (not including the stupid mark-ups), it is a rare chance indeed.

But my heart really pounds for the NSX.
I know if I give up my search now and take the easy route, I will regret it.

But it's a nice back-up plan, nontheless.

Someone PLEASE give me some reinforcement.
wink.gif

Back