• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

350Z vs NSX

Originally posted by NotFast:
Does anyone else notice how similar they look to the Audi TT? Sport Compact Car had pics of both from the same perspective & it was interesting to see how alike they look.

From some angles I see the TT resemblance. I like the Z a bit better. It's a nice little sports car, especially for the money.

The wife and I ride topless too often to consider the Z, but these are wonderful times. More and more sports cars to choose from!

0209scc_zcar01_zoom.jpg

Geez, it looks like half the cars are silver.

I AM SO SICK OF SILVER 350Zs. When I was in Hawaii two weeks ago, the Nissan dealer had two Zs for sale. Both silver. Yawn.......

------------------
1995 NSX-T
1999 3.2TL
2001 Odyssey
1992 SC400

Originally posted by Joel:
You know, I have family over at the Nissan Corporation. I told him I was looking for a new car and he said I can get you the 'Z' or the G35 coupe at dealer's cost so you don't have to worry about any salesman's BS'-ing me.

Are you kidding... go get one for dealer cost. Then put it on ebay. Make yourself 10K on the deal and get an NSX!

IMO, the 350Z is a cool car, but not competitive with a new C5 or an NSX from a performance standpoint.

The base price of a C5 Coupe is around 39K, closer to 43K with options and tax. That gives you a great handling, good looking, reasonably reliable, true sports car that runs 12s in the 1/4 and 0-60 in under 5 sec.
It's also an American performance icon. Most people who go to buy a Vette do not even consider another car. It's what they want.
A 350Z is not usually in their list of options.

A Z06 would be a 48-50K plus tax which is not as cheap as it's made out to be. Still a good value for the performance.

Still, none of these are an NSX.
mecry.gif

[This message has been edited by ilya (edited 19 September 2002).]

Originally posted by NetViper:
Are you kidding... go get one for dealer cost. Then put it on ebay. Make yourself 10K on the deal and get an NSX!

Nice plan. You think it'll work since I'm probably going to finance it? I figure drive it for a couple of months and sell it in January 2003.

(The flip side to this plan is running the risk of "slapping" a family member in the face. I wouldn't want to make him feel that I used him because he can only do the Z-car deal once-a-year for a family member.)

What do you think?

Originally posted by Joel:

What do you think?

I would think to make the most on it, you need to take delivery and sell it asap. You family probably will not like that -- but its for an NSX man
smile.gif
.. at least it sounded like a good plan at the time!

the 350Z is a "Japanese TT"
much like the way the NSX is a "Japanese Ferrari"

I think I prefer the Ferrari comparison to the TT...
wink.gif

------------------
cmbsig3.jpg

NSX/S2K/WRX/CRX

[This message has been edited by cmb (edited 19 September 2002).]

BTW, even though I don't think the 350Z is the equivalent of an NSX, I do think it's a terrific car for $28-34K. And I can't think of another car in its price range that's built to take out on the track right out of the box.

It's not perfect, and many of the reviews, while favorable, are finding numerous faults with it. But it's a heck of a nice car for the money nonetheless.

I am a finance mgr at a honda/nissan dealer. I have driven the new 350z on the track and the streets. The car will due well because of the 35k price tag. But how in the hell, can you compare a 350z with a nsx. This just really ticks me off. Let me see, 35k for a new 350z or 35k for a low mileage 1991 nsx, what is there to even think about?

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
BTW, even though I don't think the 350Z is the equivalent of an NSX, I do think it's a terrific car for $28-34K. And I can't think of another car in its price range that's built to take out on the track right out of the box.
How does it compare with similarly-priced good-handling sporty cars:
- Honda S2000
- Acura RSX Type S (or ITR)
- BMW 330 (more $$)
- others ??

[This message has been edited by cojones (edited 19 September 2002).]

Originally posted by cojones:
How does it compare with similarly-priced good-handling sporty cars:
- Honda S2000
- Acura RSX Type S (or ITR)
- BMW 330 (more $$)
- others ??

The S2000 posts similar numbers (e.g. high fives 0-60). Obviously, the S2000 is a convertible, so that's a big difference.

The ITR is no longer available in the States. Comparing vs the 2001 ITR, the Z posts slightly better acceleration numbers, is a lot more expensive, has a lot more horses (287 vs 195) but is heavier (3200 vs 2639); still, power-to-weight is better. The ITR is really built for the track, just like the track Z.

The RSX-S is comparable to the base version of the Z, not the track version; the RSX-S is less expensive, less horses, weighs less, power/weight worse. The RSX-S is not really a sports car. The Z - or, at least, the track Z - is.

The BMW 330 is also not a track car, but a luxury car. The Z weighs less and has more power, etc. The M3 is the version of the 3-series that is track-ready and is overall more capable but it's a lot more money (high forties to low fifties).

My first car was an early 240Z (bought way used, but in great shape). Never felt the need to upgrade it till the NSX. The 350Z may be a fine car, but stylistically is far less elegant and pure than its original forebear.

I would buy definitely buy an S2000 before a 350Z. You get a convertible and it is certainly a rarer car than the Z will be(once it hits the market full force).

It looks soooo much better - from any angle.

Go to NSX FILES and see how well the stock S2000's are doing against the rest of the cars.

[This message has been edited by DONYMO (edited 19 September 2002).]

someone mentioned the 240z and i remember testdriving one with a buddy of mine in college. ('85, i think) we drove that poor car so hard that when we came back into the car lot the asbestos pads were smoking. pretty fast, but not so good at stoppy stoppy.

definately not a new z over a nsx imo. new isnt always better.

My first car was a 71 240z. I loved that car
It was my favorite car next to my nsx.And i've been through alot of cars.I think for the money the new 350 will be an awesome car.You just can't compare it to an Nsx.
Paul M
95 nsx-t blk
2001 clk430 blk
2002 rav4l blk(for groceries)
1971 240z blk restored(one day)
smile.gif

Back