• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

350Z Vs NSX

I understand where the 350Z fan's thoughts are coming from. I used to be a huge C5 fan..... I read every book and article about them and I was planning on buying one last summer. My buddy and I used to get into huge debates about what car is better (his RT10 or my (future) C5) My reasoning was very simular to what the 350Z guys are saying....."It's so and so much less money with only a slight decrease in performance".
However it hit me one day when I saw his Viper in a parking lot. I rarely see them, so it really stood out as an exotic rare car. That was when I decided to start looking at something that was unique and not seen on a daily basis. I had researched the NSX back in the mid-90's after seeing one in a dealership. I loved the technology that went into the car, however without a convertible option I decided against it as my pleasure summer sports car.
Well I started looking again and fell in love with the first car I drove. I haven't driven anything like it (I've driven a lot of cars including sports cars....but nothing like a ferrari or lambo to compare it too) The NSX is something special that only true enthusists understand. If you just look at the numbers and the car itself....It's impressive but for less money you can get this or that.... it's those who truely know what car is about understand why it's worth it's weight in gold :smile:

The 350Z is nice..... and I love the look. But in the eyes of someone who owns and understands the NSX, it's just another nice sports car. Don't take it so personally....

If someone came up to you (a 350z owner) and said my Honda Civic is a better car then your 350Z because it's $14,000 cheaper and I can pour $6K in upgrades and it'll beat that 350Z any day....what would you say to that?

Trust me....I've eaten my C5 comments I've made over the last few years..... My buddy won't let me live it down :wink:

NsSeX said:
I was under the impression that the NSX and C5 were on par concerning acceleration performance :confused:
They are; a 3.2-liter NSX-T and the regular C5 Corvette. The Z06 C5 is a bit faster.

black350zwidebody said:
How was I being "....unsubstantiated, argumentative and immature claims"
Well since you asked...
black350zwidebody said:
MY FISRT POST!!!!
Originally Posted by black350zwidebody
Now guys I wouldn't go getting that darn cocky. The 350z needs some definite tweaking to help her a long but she is 1/3 the cost of the NSX. You could buy a Z 30k drop $10k into her and have an NSX eater all day long. and still have $40K+ left over.

It's comments like this that I hear my son and his schoolmates arguing about from their extensive knowledge of the Sony Playstaion and the other competing computer games... It cannot be substantiated, it is an immature comment and it is by nature argumentative!

Now if you had something constructive to say like the TCS system is superior in the 350Z because it processes twice the information and reacts in 1/3 time and hense actually helps your average driver to produce better lap times.... This would not be arguementative because you could be stating a fact!

Or you could say that the brakes on the "Track Pack" 350Z are better than the NSX stock brakes... You would find that this would not be argued with either!

Your comments are similar to me jumping onto Ferrarichat and making a statement like I love the Enzo but I can drop 25K worth of mods into my NSX and have an ENZO eater all day long for 1/3rd the price!

Now do you see what was wrong with your original posts???
black350zwidebody said:
I am threw with u guys. It is amazing how a few A$$es can change everything. (OK THERE U GO I SAID MY FIRST AND LAST IMMATURE THING!!!)
"threw"???

QED :rolleyes:

I cannot believe I am posting here again but hey I am bored.

It is good to see that there are a few decent folks here. It is a shame that some folks are so sensitive. I have no idea how one could get so upset over my choice of words but hey to each his own.

I will address one of the things he said and elaborate more about the comments I receive from most that I speak with about my pending NSX purchase.

The statement:

Your comments are similar to me jumping onto Ferrarichat and making a statement like I love the Enzo but I can drop 25K worth of mods into my NSX and have an ENZO eater all day long for 1/3rd the price!

Makes a ton of sense to me. My next car purchase (likely an NSX) will be a track car. I love the ENZO but cannot afford one. If I could buy a 91 NSX for ~$25k drop another $25k into her and have a car the performed on par with an enzo, I would be very happy.

If you cannot see the benefit then there is a problem. I do not buy car solely for the name drop or status. I actually look at price vs value vs need.

tell me y one would need to buy an ENZO if they could get the same performance for 1/3. This was my point about the Z vs NSX.

When I compare the Z with the NSX I do not compare the 91-96. there is something to be said about the age of these vehicles. I am not saying that they cannot be or aren't great performers, but I, as well as many others, have an issue with buying a car that is 14 yrs old and saying it is better or the same as a 2005.

I do understand that the NSX was yrs b4 its time and the styling is still fresh but it is 14 yrs old. And these are the cars that are in a similar price range as the Z.

So, FOR ME, when comparing the two cars I must compare the more recent models. When I look at the 97+ the price difference is noticeable. I am seeing anywhere from $50k for low mileage to mid $40s for 40k+ miles. This is still an 8 yr old car (an amazing 8 yr old car! but still 8 yrs old).

A track Z can be had for around $30k these days. Brand new, warranty, and no miles. U can customize her to ur driving style (suspension) and needs relatively cheaply. It comes with a very nice braking sys (Brembo) and nice light weight rays. One can easily only $7-8 into it and get a very good track performer that would likely hold its own with the NSX and other purer race cars. Maintenance cost are lower and reliability is equal if not better due to the Zs 7 yr warranty.

Most of the folks I speak with have a problem paying that much for a car that is 8-14yrs old. And this is also my dilemma.

I am currently contemplating getting second Z (used Track model w/ less that 25k miles still under warranty, etc.) for $20k and dropping about 10k into a TT, full race suspension, etc.

My alternative would be to buy a NSX for around (91-95 with a ton of miles on her) $30-35k drop about 4-5k into her and be finished.

When finished I will have equal track performers (trust me they will be equal guys. A TT Z may actually be faster than the 91-95 NSXs given the numbers quoted above by NSX owners) but one will have cost me 10k more, have no warranty, be 10-14 yrs old and cost more to maintain and mod.

As I said earlier (and some have missed!!) I love the NSX and have loved it since 1990! (when I saw the 1st spy shots) but have concerns about the age and price comparisons.

I could care less about the novelty or culture, etc. I want a performer.

thoughts?!?! (and please turn the flames off. I have no desire to fight with your guys)

Thanks

Hey if that's what your looking for (a performer)...then you are exactly right!!!
The NSX is a performer, but yeah you can get more bang for the buck out of many other cars. You'd have to spend at least twice the money to get simular HP increases compared to other cars....

The NSX is a special car (like an ENZO), so if you don't care about the car being rare or the fact that it's built by hand then don't waste you money on it (that's a lot of what your paying for).....

I love hearing about other cars and the 350Z is a cool car. (the posted pictures are impressive). So stick around if you don't mind being the minority in a large group of NSX guys...

I see the early NSX and the Z as the logical comparisons for one simple reason - they are the same price. Since money is the primary factor in what somebody chooses to drive, then that is what should be used for comparing. A $30K NSX vs. a $30K Z vs. a $30K little red wagon. Of course the Z is newer. If you want to compare a new NSX with something, then choose other $90K cars.

this is funny.

Widebody= rice

the price vs performance arguement is pointless.

Performance-wise...yeah the Z is kinda close to an NSX. But for your $90K you get a limited volume luxury car ( w/ no luxury content).

I have a Z and "kinda have" an NSX. Each car has its strengths. I love the nsx for the razor sharp handling and the looks that it attracts. I love the Z for its massive torque (compared to nsx), an its lurid tail out powerslide handling. Its my hooligan car.

Yrah, but if you had to choose one, it depends on what you want. All told the nsx is better,

black350zwidebody said:

It is good to see that there are a few decent folks here. It is a shame that some folks are so sensitive. I have no idea how one could get so upset over my choice of words but hey to each his own.

I will address one of the things he said and elaborate more about the comments I receive from most that I speak with about my pending NSX purchase.

The statement:

Makes a ton of sense to me. My next car purchase (likely an NSX) will be a track car. I love the ENZO but cannot afford one. If I could buy a 91 NSX for ~$25k drop another $25k into her and have a car the performed on par with an enzo, I would be very happy.

If you cannot see the benefit then there is a problem. I do not buy car solely for the name drop or status. I actually look at price vs value vs need.

tell me y one would need to buy an ENZO if they could get the same performance for 1/3. This was my point about the Z vs NSX.

When I compare the Z with the NSX I do not compare the 91-96. there is something to be said about the age of these vehicles. I am not saying that they cannot be or aren't great performers, but I, as well as many others, have an issue with buying a car that is 14 yrs old and saying it is better or the same as a 2005.

I do understand that the NSX was yrs b4 its time and the styling is still fresh but it is 14 yrs old. And these are the cars that are in a similar price range as the Z.

So, FOR ME, when comparing the two cars I must compare the more recent models. When I look at the 97+ the price difference is noticeable. I am seeing anywhere from $50k for low mileage to mid $40s for 40k+ miles. This is still an 8 yr old car (an amazing 8 yr old car! but still 8 yrs old).

A track Z can be had for around $30k these days. Brand new, warranty, and no miles. U can customize her to ur driving style (suspension) and needs relatively cheaply. It comes with a very nice braking sys (Brembo) and nice light weight rays. One can easily only $7-8 into it and get a very good track performer that would likely hold its own with the NSX and other purer race cars. Maintenance cost are lower and reliability is equal if not better due to the Zs 7 yr warranty.

Most of the folks I speak with have a problem paying that much for a car that is 8-14yrs old. And this is also my dilemma.

I am currently contemplating getting second Z (used Track model w/ less that 25k miles still under warranty, etc.) for $20k and dropping about 10k into a TT, full race suspension, etc.

My alternative would be to buy a NSX for around (91-95 with a ton of miles on her) $30-35k drop about 4-5k into her and be finished.

When finished I will have equal track performers (trust me they will be equal guys. A TT Z may actually be faster than the 91-95 NSXs given the numbers quoted above by NSX owners) but one will have cost me 10k more, have no warranty, be 10-14 yrs old and cost more to maintain and mod.

As I said earlier (and some have missed!!) I love the NSX and have loved it since 1990! (when I saw the 1st spy shots) but have concerns about the age and price comparisons.

thoughts?!?! (and please turn the flames off. I have no desire to fight with your guys)

Thanks

Well said!

I find this interesting. You know I drove a 350z about a year and a half ago. I'm not sure what trim level or anything like that but It did have the brembo brakes. Honestly I was very pleased with it. it handled great. I came VERY very close to buying one. but I bought the nsx just for the simple fact that It wasn't as common. Not just how often when you see them but the little things. The body lines on the car are gorgeous. Hell I even love how loud the cockpit of my car is. Just the little things that made me fall in love with it. and Honestly I dont think i'd own any other car. Yeah I am biased to the nsx just like most of the owners on here. We all love our cars. but in fact they are just cars.

In any relative statement regarding how much money you drop into a car. I see it like this. With enough money you can make anything go fast. hell I had a eg hatch with a h22 and a ton of mods and it would easily take out my nsx that I have now. but it is everyones opinion. some people want a fast car for cheap. I had it and loved it. Some want the name. Some want a 9 second monster. Some want a track rat. That is the beauty of diversity and man when people don't see eye to eye you get biblical posts like these.

black350zwidebody said:

The statement:

Thanks

Seriously "you are NOT ready for an NSX", you may admire its beauty but still haven't a clue what its about. I'd get a TT Z if I were you. Those cars are fast and affordable just like a Supra :wink:

black350zwidebody said:

Thanks

The C5 Z06 is pretty much the performance bargain right now. $25k or less for a 2001 w/385 hp. $30k or less for a 2002 w/405 hp. With a bit of brake and suspension work the car is a serious performer on a road course.

Other than that, you really need to drive an NSX to understand the emotional attachment of the owners. I can hardly stop myself from leaving work early on nice days just to go home and take mine out (and sometimes don't). I cannot imagine selling it.

The NSX is not about the horsepower or the quarter mile. It is about the total driving experience: Taking her to redline at 8000 RPM and feeling the engine beg for another 1500 RPM. The feel of perfectly weighted, unassisted steering. The sound of the engine and intake behind you. Sitting a few inches off the ground and having your eyes at the level of most rear license plates and your roof below the side mirrors of many vehicles. It brings a smile to my face every time.

cwood1388 said:
In any relative statement regarding how much money you drop into a car. I see it like this. With enough money you can make anything go fast. hell I had a eg hatch with a h22 and a ton of mods and it would easily take out my nsx that I have now. but it is everyones opinion. some people want a fast car for cheap. I had it and loved it. Some want the name. Some want a 9 second monster. Some want a track rat. That is the beauty of diversity and man when people don't see eye to eye you get biblical posts like these.

From previously owning a 500+ WHP turbocharged EG hatch (which I loved as much as my NSX), I totally agree regarding personal preference. I wanted to build a car fast enough to throw me deep into my Sparcos without dedicating it to be a track rat. I've accomplished that mark and have now matured to the NSX after driving a customer's car and falling in love with it's refinement (the exotic look is just an added bonus). I hate the ricer look (APC lights, blah, blah) and I feel my EG was tastefully designed by myself and I received as much attention in it as my NSX. One difference between my EG and NSX is that my NSX is much more street friendly and isn't a garage queen. THE EG served it's purposed for me and I have passed it on to another enthusiast who is taking it to the next level. Funny thing is that I spent more money on the EG than the NSX (thus far but NSX contributions are rapidly catching up). :biggrin:

Ok these comments are helping (well most :D)

I think If I were looking for a daily or week-end driver, my decision would be easier. It appears that most of u drive ur NSXs pretty often. I drive my Z to shows (after u win a few awards shows get old), meets, and occasional runs through the back roads. With the kit I can no longer take her to the track without the risk of costly damage. The veilside front lip is very low!!

I miss the track so much and really want a vehicle to focus totally on the engine suspension, etc. I figured since my love for the NSX goes deep and it is obviously a beast on the track it might be worth a look.

I will try to find a dealer with a used NSX and take her out for a spin. I will go into it openly and return with my reviews and opinions. I drove one back in 93 and loved it so my expectations are high.

brahtw8 said:

The NSX is not about the horsepower or the quarter mile. It is about the total driving experience: Taking her to redline at 8000 RPM and feeling the engine beg for another 1500 RPM. The feel of perfectly weighted, unassisted steering. The sound of the engine and intake behind you. Sitting a few inches off the ground and having your eyes at the level of most rear license plates and your roof below the side mirrors of many vehicles. It brings a smile to my face every time.

A couple of weekends ago, I was driving with a friend in my NSX. She just turned over 1150 miles on the OD. We were just in his Acura CL Type-S 6MT with all the CompTech mods including the S/C - much like my other car and very quick, with lots of low-end torque.

However, when I finally rapped her up to about 7800 RPM in 2nd gear going uphill and then shifting into 3rd, all I could hear my friend say is "HOLLY S%^T"... "WHAT AN AWESOME CAR"... This brought a smile to my face and then I discovered something else new about my NSX -- It is silky smooth on power and acceleration and deceptively quick. :D But after I park her, I started to feel guilty about taking her to near REDLINE and wondered if I had done any damage. :frown:

Having driven the so called "Twisties" at the SacTown meet earlier that day, I was following several other cars through them "Twisties"; two 350Zs, one S/C'd '01 Acura CLS (fully modded) and one '04 Acura TL 6MT (somewhat modded). The very first thing I noticed following them, I only had to lay on my brakes less than half as much as the other cars. My NSX flew through the turns effortlessly while the other cars looked all out-of-balance. "Driving on rails" is what came to mind as I followed the other cars. :D

typerturbo said:
From previously owning a 500+ WHP turbocharged EG hatch (which I loved as much as my NSX), I totally agree regarding personal preference. I wanted to build a car fast enough to throw me deep into my Sparcos without dedicating it to be a track rat. I've accomplished that mark and have now matured to the NSX after driving a customer's car and falling in love with it's refinement (the exotic look is just an added bonus). I hate the ricer look (APC lights, blah, blah) and I feel my EG was tastefully designed by myself and I received as much attention in it as my NSX. One difference between my EG and NSX is that my NSX is much more street friendly and isn't a garage queen. THE EG served it's purposed for me and I have passed it on to another enthusiast who is taking it to the next level. Funny thing is that I spent more money on the EG than the NSX (thus far but NSX contributions are rapidly catching up). :biggrin:

Amen!

Id go so far as saying that each time you get out of the car without having redlined it is a drive that could have been better.

Just dont redline it downshifting!

SPA_S2000 said:
Id go so far as saying that each time you get out of the car without having redlined it is a drive that could have been better.

I guess all my drives can't get any better. :biggrin:

black350zwidebody said:
Ok these comments are helping (well most :D)

I think If I were looking for a daily or week-end driver, my decision would be easier. It appears that most of u drive ur NSXs pretty often. I drive my Z to shows (after u win a few awards shows get old), meets, and occasional runs through the back roads. With the kit I can no longer take her to the track without the risk of costly damage. The veilside front lip is very low!!

I miss the track so much and really want a vehicle to focus totally on the engine suspension, etc. I figured since my love for the NSX goes deep and it is obviously a beast on the track it might be worth a look.

I will try to find a dealer with a used NSX and take her out for a spin. I will go into it openly and return with my reviews and opinions. I drove one back in 93 and loved it so my expectations are high.

If you can, check out at targa. I know ppl say they're marginally slower, but IMO it offers something TOTALLY unique in todays world of cars. Yeah, the NSX may be slow by todays standards, but you wont care as you redline in each gear and hear the great engine note literally right behing your head.

Try doing that in a Z....

Answer to every Car A vs. Car B discussion on the internet:

Go test drive both and make up your own damn mind. In the end it's your choice, not a bunch of opinionated people on the Internet. These discussions are usually a waste of time, and childish.

I'm actually really enjoying this. Most of it really is valid basis from two different biased sides. Typically this doesn't mix well but interesting facts from both sides become addressed. There are probably more people than you think that are in the situation of deciding whether to puchase a older NSX vs. an equally priced new Z.

Back