• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

350Z Vs NSX

qirex said:
Do you realize that a Boxster S is only 10HP shy of an NSX,

WOW! you prove your ignorance and my point exactly! You as well as many others only look at the hp/tq numbers....nothing else. :rolleyes:

Do I have a "reality distortion" - absolutely not. I know the capabilities and limits of the NSX.
YOU are the D/A who made the comment "Slow by todays standards".
I guess YOU also put in that same catagory the 350z, new mustang, evo, sti, c5 ect. :rolleyes:
typical PORCH owner.

hey...I also became the official owner of a 91 NSX this weekend!

Z,NSX, Turbo...

methinks i'll be selling the Z soon (but not too soon)

I hear all this talk about the Evo and am kind of ashamed to admit that aside from knowing it's a Mitsubishi, I know nothing about it -- not even what it looks like. So I went to Google for an image search.

This is it?

Call me shallow if you will, but looks matter too. I don't care how much horsepower a car has, if it doesn't stir my blood when I open the garage door then it's not for me. I won't put down anyone for their tastes but that car doesn't do it for me. No way, no how.

Engel07 said:
Ths is why I picked the NSX:

The less NSX out on the street, the more unique it is (to me).

=================================================

The NSX is that it is the only car from a major manufacturer that is still built entirely by hand.

All NSX are produced in 1 factory in Tochigi, Japan that was specifically built for the production of NSX's

The assembly facility was envisioned as one in which the motivation for producing a quality automotive product comes from the people building it rather than being infused from above by management.

The 200 member assembly staff was hand-selected from thousands of applicants.
* To be considered for the team, applicants had to have at least
10 years of Honda manufacturing experience and must have
distinguished themselves as having skills above the average
technician-craftsmanship and attention to detail is of primary
importance.

This plant has no automated conveyor line. Rather, each car is mounted
on a dolly and pushed by hand from one workstation to the next.
* The car is not passed on to the next area until the team is satisfied
that their procedures have achieved the tolerances and goals
required assureing themselves that the work is done to blueprint
specifications. Each assembly station, in effect, also functions
as an inspection station.

Also for each NSX there is only one person that is in charge of building the entire engine from start to finish by hand.

At the end of the assembly process each NSX is driven on a 500-meter indoor track to check for functioning of major controls.

* Then each car is driven for three laps on the Tochigi Proving
Grounds' high-banked 2 1/2 mile oval. During the test session,
the car is evaluated for braking performance, excessive wind
noise and high-speed stability.

POWERTRAIN

VTEC System (Unique Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control)
* First application in U.S.
* Uses two different cam profiles to improve low-end torque and
high-end power
* Boosts engine performance to more than 90 hp per liter

Variable Volume Induction System
* Improves power and torque by optimizing air induction at all rpm

Direct Ignition (Eliminates distributor)
* Each plug has its own ignition coil, similar to a racing engine
* Delivers stable high voltage to spark plug

Titanium Connecting Rods
* World's first use in a production car
* Stronger than steel, lightweight -- saves 190 grams
* Reduces reciprocating mass for high-rpm engine operation
* Reducing reciprocating mass allows:
* Increased engine speed, reduced crankshaft stress,
and/or a lighter crankshaft, and generation of less noise,
vibration, and sideways thrust on pistons.
* In the NSX, titanium is said to give a 700 rpm increase in engine
speed over steel connecting rods, a 30 per cent reduction in weight
and enhanced fatigue resistance.

BODY / CHASSIS

World's first mass produced all-aluminum body 3 different kinds of "exotic" (to the auto industry) aluminum:
1. The cosmetic outer panels are made of a 6083 T4. The temper
comes from the heat dry paint process cooling slowly.
2. The frame is a 5182, and the side sill (rocker) is an extruded 6061 T6.
3. The suspension pieces are forged 6061 T6.

The dies used to put the shape in the hood, fenders and doors have to be polished every few stampings just to keep them clean so the aluminum does not gall, grab or stick to the die.

* Aluminum Unit-Body Construction
* Unit body weighs only 462 lbs - 40% less than steel
* Incorporates unique high-strength extruded-aluminum side sills
* Unique heat treatment ensures surface hardness
* Highly corrosion resistant
* High torsional and bending rigidity
* 60% of all welds in the NSX are done by hand.
* Ectrolyses, bolts used in the NSX to connect different metals or alloys all have a special Dacron coating.

* All-Aluminum Suspension-4-wheel double-wishbone design
* Forged-aluminum suspension arms for strength, low unsprung weight
* Front suspension utilizes unique compliance pivot (limits toe-change in a corner or when riding over road-bumps) for ideal suspension geometry and ride quality 44 lbs lighter than steel

* Four-Channel Anti-Lock Braking; System (ABS) - First production use in U.S.

Thanks for posting that excellent summary.

bodypainter, that if im not mistaken is an older tommy maniken version of the car. This is the new evo 8.....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43919&item=4538766769&rd=1

but just as you said. it doesn't do it for me either. Its funny becuase many of the people that I hang out with are big dsm guys. A friend of mine that owns a dealership just recently had a evo 8 traded in. He was having issues with him not being able to drive his A4 so we both decided we were going to find out if all this hype that everyone was talking was true. After the ride... i'm sorry but it wasn't what I thought it was going to be. the only thing i liked was that it you could cram and still be comfortable. but then again this was NOT the mr version. and I guess its because the suspension on my car isn't stock. i dont know. it just didn't do it

AU_NSX said:
ROTFL..... Honestly are you serious???? :confused:

Looking at that car.... Two types of poeple come to mind....

1. Middle aged big hairy chested bloke with Gold chains around the neck, gold bracelets, open shirt etc..... (all show and no go!)

Wrong forum Mate!

LMFAO!!!!

on my street in red 350Z - nail on the head!

Psychobiology said:
I drove a 350z before buying my NSX. I thought it was a very nice car...lots of power down low, handled pretty well, but it felt too much like my brother's MkIV Supra TT. They're great sports cars, but they just don't have that exotic feel. Also the styling of a 350z doesn't really appeal to me. I'd take a MkIV Supra over the 350z any day. Just my opinion... :biggrin:

:biggrin: True that! Supra style anyday...

To me the 350Z can't even be compared to the 300zxtt. The 300zxtt was an amazing car, and while I loved my 300zxtt and even miss the HP and torque of a my stage 3+, I still have no regrets when it comes to choosing the NSX over it. Forget the 350, if it was a Z I was interested in, it would be a twin turbo.

NSX-Tuner said:
I started to feel guilty about taking her to near REDLINE and wondered if I had done any damage. :frown:

Yep, I know this had been replied to already.

Near redline!? Forget the redline. Take her up to 8200. Bounce the limiter. Enjoy yourself. For Christ's sake, the redline is a suggestion, not a rule!

SLIPPINnSLIDING said:
:biggrin: I really wonder if that guy is 30 some years old... OR is this person just another young little kid who says he "owns the car" yet it's just a online picture he found at cardomain or something? I have a NSX, and a IS shared with my brother, and i still like the IS better. IMO, The G35 looks much better than the 350Z, even if it is a bit heavier.

Yes, stand by your 350z with a loaf of bread on your head and a bottle of wine held to your ear. I make this crazy request because it would be impossible for someone to randomly find a picture like my request anywhere on the internet.

BTW...I am currently shopping for a convertible and the 350Z is at the top of my list.

nsxtasy said:
If you're deciding ONLY based on performance for the money, the WRX STi and the Evolution 8 are better than the 350Z in the same price class.

Then again, if you're deciding ONLY based on performance for the money, a used car is better than the same car new. And a track car that someone else has already built and tracked is probably going to be a better value than a street car.

i 2nd that!!! :wink:

AU_NSX said:
Your comments are similar to me jumping onto Ferrarichat and making a statement like I love the Enzo but I can drop 25K worth of mods into my NSX and have an ENZO eater all day long for 1/3rd the price!

New NSX = 90K MSRP + 25K in Mods = 115K x 3 = 345K. I will take the 345K Enzo please. :biggrin:

CerberusM5 said:
I agree the Evo and Sti would be a better choice based on performance for the money. Also, the Evo 8 is extremely cheap to modify. For less than $20k in modifications, you can convert an Evo into a supercar killer. However, my problem with the Evo is finding window tint dark enough, so I am not seen driving it.

ROFLMAO. I could not agree with you more. When again will car manufacturers build a good looking car with HP in the 30k mark.
I would not drive the Subaru or the Evo if someone gave it too me.

My contribution to this thread

...and that ain't no bull! :eek:

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 369
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 641
The NSX v. 350Z is a bit unfair as the 350Z cost $30K and the NSX cost 90K.

I love my NSX but if you want speed/performance you could get a 911 Turbo for $90K. If I were buying new I wouldnt buy an NSX...it needs a serious performance overhall in todays market. Let the ^$#& fly but its the truth.

Here is my 2 cents. Buy a low milage NSX (1991-1994) for $35,000. Put a couple of mods on it to bring the total up to $40K. In five yeras sell it for $35-40K.

I think the 350Z is very cool and it out perfrormes averything in its price range. Wanna see a S2000 get it butt kicked? Just line em up. Honda is not about straight line speed but about real drivable performance.

My Corvette is way faster and has way better "magazine numbers" than my NSX. Lets get on the Highway, bring the speed up to 100mph+ and lets see whos knuckles turn white first! At 140mph I can still adjust my stereo in the NSX :biggrin:

The NSX is rare so you will always draw extra attention. Its not a Ferrari or a Lambo. In some ways an NSX is cooler...as you dont have to spend $10-15K on a tune up compared to most exotics.

Thats it,
Thanks,
Jason

Too many people around here have a 350z. No one gives it a second look when one passes by, heck not even a first look. BUT in my nsx, I can't count the number of looks I get. That aside, with less than 10000 units produced AND sold nationwide in the last 15 years, I will always enjoy the exclusivity. The bottom line, there will always be someone faster than you, no matter what you have, so I decided to find a point; performance wise that I am happy with and cruise on.

The NSX has 1 thing going for it over just about any other car sans the bull and prancing horse....RARITY AND EXCLUSIVITY!

The NSX is supposed to be such a great track car and it is, but going off the OnelapofAmerica results a Viper, Z06, 911TT, SRT 4, Evolution, are better.

I know both cars have had problems, but both have 30K++ in them and are losing to a stripped SRT 4 with Stage 3 mods and a upgraded turbo!! Or a Evolution that is putting down 360rwhp and has less the 15K in it...the owner says.

A 650R is spanking them if the NSX is so good why isn't it in the top 5? Even if you add the points from the DNF's neither car would be ahead of the SRT4 or the Evo.

The rarity the reliability are there, but even for the track there seems to be better choices if your goal is really about going fast in a street based car.

One of the things I truly value on this sight is the maturity and open mindedness of NSX owners to not being in denial of the truth. I have wanted an NSX since i first layed eyes on one , knowing the Bull and prancing horse were out of my league and probably less Practical. I have learned a wealth of info from this sight and I am greatful it is here.
The NSX seems to be a very Controversial car, I wonder why it is that people have such strong feelings about it.
http://philip.greenspun.com/materialism/cars/nsx.html
Do People think its over rated ?
To much money for Lack of Power?
Too much of an attention grabber?
Thoughts or theories on this would greatly appreciated.

pbassjo said:
:biggrin:

Wow! The resemblance is uncanny. Then again, most sport coupes today have the silhouette like a potato. Then again, I am starting to like the look of modified 350Zs and G35 coupes.

Jasil said:
A 650R is spanking them if the NSX is so good why isn't it in the top 5? Even if you add the points from the DNF's neither car would be ahead of the SRT4 or the Evo.

The rarity the reliability are there, but even for the track there seems to be better choices if your goal is really about going fast in a street based car.
Sockeye said:
One of the things I truly value on this sight is the maturity and open mindedness of NSX owners
:tongue:

Last edited:
I'm a "What type of picture is that"? Do you disagree and do not think that the two NSX's are getting spanked by a EVO, STI, and SRT 4? Not too mention annihilated by the 911TT, Viper, and Z06?

NSX's are beautiful and rare! I find it funny when it comes to HP/TQ owners always revert back to the handling and track worthiness or the "Wow" factor. It looks like to me that the "Track worthiness" isn't worthy enough in Onelap.

I'm waiting for someone to say" Yes, I bought my NSX for looks and the cool factor and that's about it" on the track there are better cheaper cars and in a straight line there are better cheaper cars all IMO>

attachment.php

Dumb Butt TEXAS grads :mad: :mad: - oops what am I saying I graduated from that school too. :biggrin:

black350zwidebody,

In my case I bought the NSX because I could afford one but if given more money I would probably get an F355 (my long term objective). It would also be because 350Z was not out yet the time I bought the NSX. Now I wouldn't buy 350Z because too many people got the car here (very affordable). I would have probably get an M3 for a family car if I'm rich and because its rare here the same as the NSX. As for performance wise I would NOT get an Mitsu EVO or WRX STi either (saloon car) not a proper sportscar by my standard.

Back